Cliche

You're So Cliche

5am, dawn empowering the darkness of the night. He, snuggled into her neck, she, brushing hair of his face. Thinking back to activities only a few hours ago, she smiles. Whispering his name, with only a small grunt in response, she says “You’re so cliché.”

 

*                   *                         *

 

The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, what we all know as the 'Holy Trinity'. What people aren't so familiar with, however, is something I like to call the 'Evil Trinity'. What is the 'Evil trinity' I hear you ask? Well, only the worst things in existence: Loneliness - coldness - and hunger. These three, I tell you, spawned out of Satan himself. Take my word my word for it. (Yongguk hyung has been doing business with him for a while, so I know a little about this great lord. How do you think Yongguk hyungs keeps looking so youthful? The blood of s.)

I sat on this grey fabric sofa alone, a foreign feeling itself, with nothing more than a simple thin long sleeved top to battle against this freezing weather. My shivering body and rumbling tummy shook in unison, but I was far too afraid to say speak up about it. Giggling echoing through the apartment from bedroom was the main reason behind my rare muting. It made me quiver ever-so-slightly in jealousy, but I'd never admit that - to myself or anyone.

Soon enough, silence embraced the apartment yet again. Taking this opportunity, I got up heading towards bedroom, where she sat in the centre of our double bed reading away. Our room - and whole apartment in fact - consisted of white’s, greys, and blacks, just something we preferred. The bed sheets were white and fresh, contrasting against the dark grey furniture of the room alongside the lighter grey walls with raindrop art decor. Bookshelves full of classical books, movies and a few several recipe books (which were more picture books to us), wardrobes that I shamefully take up most the space of.  Our room wasn't the most modern, nor the most antique, but it was homely. I missed it a lot when on tour (almost as much as I missed her). 

Seeing that she was done on her phone, I plopped myself in front of her, my face hovering above of her book. Usually she would pull her book down and smile, giving me a peck before continuing the adventures of her mind - but since I came back on my mini vacation from tour, she was having none of it. She barely spoke, she barely looked at me. I was being ignored, something I couldn’t stand.

"Who was on the phone~" a playful tune rang out, but I knew the answer all too well.

"Taehyung." she replied blandly, turning the next page of the book. Despite expecting this answer, my blood boiled a little. She was speaking to him a lot more frequently now, and I couldn't help but get a little angry. He wasn’t a bad guy; he called me sunbae and father on a show once, which is always a thumb up. I just didn’t like him.

"You're only interested in him because he looks like me...." I mumbled under my breath. I could’ve sworn I saw slight smile on her face, but by the time I blinked it vanished. Was probably imaging.

Why are you talking to him again I would ask, to which she'd reply with the same two words. "He's nice," inserting a mere shrug.  

After that it would be quiet again. She'd be soaking into her book; I'd be doing everything I could to get her attention. Singing 7 octaves, doing summersaults, handing upside down from the bed, attempting to make her jealous by admiring IU and later telling her that IU comes no way near the beauty that she radiates. Hell, I even did aegyo! Laying on my side beside her, I blew up my cheeks, byung-byunged, carried out the whole kwiyomi player, but nothing worked.   She wasn't interested. I sighed in frustration and rolled over to my back, eyes closed with hands in hair. What did I do wrong? Why is she treating me like this? And why do books keep stealing my beloved -cough- her -cough- Youngjae -cough- away from me? 

Just as I was about to give up on my shameless attention seeking, an idea hit me. Chocolate! Something no woman could resist. I spun around to face her, hand at the hem of my shirt ready to expose my own sweetness, when I noticed she was dozing off. Chuckling a little, I pulled her back onto the pillows, tucking her in. Absorbing every detail of her relaxed face till my heart was contempt, I rose up to satisfy my growling stomach. What stopped me in my tracks was the sleepy slurs tumbled out of . 

"Daehyun....you jerk..."

Hearing those words had me stuck in the middle of a crashing wave of guilt. I did something. She was neglecting me for a reason, and still to this point I have no idea what I have done wrong. Pushing the thought of food to the side, I threw on a leather jacket and mask. I headed towards the door with our favourite cake location in mind.

The clock ticked closer to 7, darkness slowly catching up with day. The skies were heavy and grey, guaranteeing a storm sneaking upon us. I cursed myself for not bringing out a hat to cover my hair. 

Avoiding glares from anyone who might recognise me, I discreetly slipped through the streets to my destination. The heavenly scent of all sorts hit me as soon as the door swung open - aromas of coffee, vanilla, pastries. The Dae-mach rumbled unknowingly.

The first thing that caught my eye was the cakes of course. From big to small from black to pink from sweet to savoury, the place had it all. I searched for the cheesecake that we both loved oh so dearly, the one that put you in momentary coma with each bite. My eyes widened as they landed on it, then looking at the foreign owner who was waiting for my order. "Four cheejucakes please." I asked, feeling a little smug as I did every time I spoke English.

Just as I was on my way to leave, a cake on display with the words ‘happy birthday’ dragged me in. It triggered off something, but I just couldn't remember what it was. 

"Is it someone's birthday today?" I muttered to myself while leaving, shaking out the thought when no answer was found.

Arriving back at the apartment with bags in hand, doorknob in the other, I heard movement inside. She must’ve woken up. I beamed at the thought, turning the doorknob slightly before her words came rushing to mind.

"Daehyun.....you jerk...."

I scratched my head in thought, what could she have meant?

"Is it someone's birthday today?"

That's when realisation hit me. No Daehyun. It’s nobody’s birthday today. It already went.  

The door received a slight injury from the abuse of my foot, followed by vibrations of sprinting feet to the nearest grocery store in town.

 

Her POV

I slipped out of my slumber finding myself tucked into our bed, a position that I don't remember crawling into in the first place. Rubbing my eyes and slipping on my glasses from the bedside table, I slid out of the covers to find where that rascal was - not that I was going to pay attention to him. I entered the living room to find it empty, my feet leading me a room away to the kitchen. Empty. I huffed a little at his absence.

First he forgets my birthday, and now he's left me alone? Great.

I rummaged through the cupboards and fridge in search for food, only to find a single packet of ramyun and a few biscuits, all of which were there yesterday evening. Didn't Daehyun eat? I bit my lip in guilt. He must've not ate because I wasn't with him, the kid hates eating alone. How did someone with a stomach that big survive the whole day with hardly anything...

I placed myself down in the living room, sighing at my silliness. He's been busy, he came back here straight away for his break from the tour, which coincidently happened to be on the day of my birthday. He's tired and stressed, how could I expect him to remember a day that comes every year?

I messed up my hair before deciding. No more games, when he comes back, it's back normal. 

A sudden flash of lightning broke through my thoughts, an instant grin making an appearance. I ran to the garden as fast as Zelo could rap.

 

Daehyun's POV

All the ahjumma seaweed soup stalls were closed, the cheesecake I bought was melting, time was running out. I sighed as I sat on a bench of a side walk, cherry blossom petals spraying the street, head in hands and clueless. What do I do now? Make it myself? My nose scrunched at the thought. I was an excellent critique yes, but definitely not a cook. Looking at all my other options (ahem, none), I dashed through the aisles of the market before running home in the rain. The bolts of thunder increased my speed.

Arriving at home and kicking my shoes off, I dropped the ingredients on the kitchen counter, grabbed a towel from the bathroom and ran to the garden. Just as I had suspected, she was sitting in the corner, drenched and smiling at the raging storm. 

"Yah!" I yelled, dragging her back inside, wrapping a grey towel around her. "How long have you been out there?" She held 10 fingers up. That earned her 2 full minutes of scolding for going over the limit I set her of 5 minutes. (She loved storms, I loved her healthy, we came to this compromise.) She mouthed 'nagger', which was totally ignored by Mum-hyun.

"Do you want to fall ill and worry?" I asked a little softer, fearing that I was nagging a little too much. She just pouted and avoided my gaze. 

"Get in the bath, you smell like a damp puppy." I pushed her towards the bathroom door. "Don't get out until I bring your clothes, alright?" She nodded and began to make her way in when I caught her staring at my soggy clothes. I took my chance, a smirk cutting through my cheeks. "Why? You want to bathe together?" Her eyes widened and cost me a bruise on my arm, but it was worth seeing that reaction. Especially with the silent treatment I've been getting. Giving her a quick peck and shoving her in, I changed my clothes and set off to work (by work I mean setting the house on fire). This may take a while

 

-two hours of a lot of pot dropping and miscalculating later-

 

“Daehyun can I come out now? I’m pretty sure I’m all soaked and clean now…”

“Uh not yet! You need another half hour!”

“Dae!”

I looked at the kitchen in panic. Flour everywhere, seaweed stuck to pans, the sink overflowing with dirty dishes. I rubbed my temples and turned to the dining table. A burnt cake reading ‘Happy birthday! (from a sorry Daedae)’, a very watery seaweed soup that looked more like acidic water, and an imaginary Himchan shaking his head shame.  My feet shuffled slowly to the sink and began to tidy up the counter.

“Daeeeeeehyuuuuun-ahh the waters getting cold.”

“Hold on!”

The kitchen was tidy, the table was set up, I was dressed. Seemed good! Pulling out one of my oversized sweaters alongside some undergarments, I made my way to the bathroom. On my trip to the bathroom, something in particular today seemed to glow. The powerbox. I stood before it, thinking of all those movies where there’s been a power cut - and woman runs to the man in fear. I grinned at the thought, deciding to give it a try. Flicking the switch off, I waited for my name to be screamed.

“Daehyun.” There we are! Though not as distressed as I had anticipated but never the less I am comi- “Turn the lights back on.” Dammit.

Doing as obeyed, I opened the bathroom door only for it to be slammed back at me. Blinking in surprise, the door opened slightly with a hand peaking through.

“Hand it over.” She demanded, which was replied with a scoff.

“I’ve seen it all anyway.”I murmured while placing it in her hands slowly. It was snatched away in instant, followed by the slamming of the door. I laughed imagining the flushed look on her face, and I leaned against the wall waiting for her come out. When she did, I crushed her between my arms, facing much refute. The main reason why I’m glad I worked out was because she was no longer a match for me. (Well that, and I’m pretty determined to beat Jongup in the muscle game.)  She gave up eventually, melting into my touch. Together we walked into the dining room and, I being the gentleman that I am, tucked her into her chair. She stared blankly at the food, as if she was half bewildered and half expecting. I was then met with a beam. “Surprise!” I yelled, making her burst into a series of giggles. It was my turn to be confused.

“Was this supposed to be a surprise?” she squeaked in between her laugher. I look lost at her. “Daehyun-ah, you…you…you’re never organising our kids birthday parties.” My ears blocked out everything besides the word ‘kids’. Kids, huh. She saw my thoughts through my expression and slapped my arm.

The rest of the evening consisted of pretty much all that follows - consistent bullying, slaps to the arms, ‘what the hell is this?’, sarcasm, eating slices of cheesecake whole, pecks, and inappropriate comments. The highlight you ask?

“Daehyun look! It’s a unicorn.”

“Unicorns don’t exist.”

“How could you say that?”

“Because they don’t.”

“Yes they do Daehyun!”

“No, they don’t.”

“Oh my gosh Dae!”

“You’re just like Youngjae.”

“At least Taehyung believes in unicorns too.”

“Why do you keep bringing up Taehyung?”

“I don’t know, maybe because he’s better than you. Why am I with you again?”

“Do you really want an answer?”

“Why don’t you? Enlighten me.”

“You’ll regret it.” I smirked, scooping her up into my arms. “I’ll show you something that Taehyung can’t ever do better than me.”

 

 

 

………………….and they both slept the whole night soundly. Tis both their specialties. (or not)


Ohmygod so long and gross  /dies

.......here.....Cheesecake.......i hoped you...liked it....at least 1% as much as you like Daehyun.....-wishful thinking-

AH FLUFF FLUFF ME AND FLUFF ARE NOT COMPATIABLE NU UH UH I MISS MY ANGST HUHUHU

Anyways, thank you Burrercup for helping me so much in this ^o^

And Cheesecake I have nothing say other than iM SORRY ITS CRAP AND RUSHED ESP THE END I TRIED TO DO IT BEFORE MIDNIGHT AN- -sighs- nevermind. I hope this has made positive difference to your birthday (or negative im cool with that)

 

To anyone who might stumble accross this, thank you for reading!

-goes to rot in a hole-