Final

Sticky Notes

Things could get messy when one did not make an effort to continue the relationship. She started her night shift and by the time she was back home, she would see him gone. Morning wasn’t on her side so taking the night as her day; she was contempt with her work schedule.

However, things got nasty. Lack of communication that led to their downfall of their relationship, Minji could not let that happen when Jongin was her pillar of life. When the sun sunken and the sky darkened, they only meet at the door step and exchanging words of hi and goodbyes. He was too exhausted and she was just too busy.

We are going nowhere.

Minji received a message from Jongin one day and it destroyed her day by crying in the restroom of her office and she decided to take a day off. Back home was not much different. She came back early with the thought of settling their little problem but when she stepped in, she was greeted with silence. A note was found on the fridge and she realized that Jongin had gone back to Chanyeol’s apartment to clear his mind.

He would be back in three days’ time. And in these three days, she had thought of something.

Four colours of sticky notepads were placed on her table – blue, pink, yellow and green. Black pen by the side, she uncapped it and started writing. With every word she wrote, she found herself grinning, a smile tugging and memories of them together came back to her. High School was good memories. Jongin would hang around her dorm and did their revision together. Despite getting kicked out from Luna, her roommate, Jongin would come again and again.

From a peck to a real deep kiss, Minji chuckled at their progress. It was shy at first but then it became greedy, rushed and impatient; clumsy but adorable in some way.

Minji hoped that this would work. She missed him dearly.

 

 

From three days to a week and guilt had crawled up his skin. Jongin did not intend to stay at Chanyeol’s place for a week but he was exhausted with his work and emotions, it was easier for him since Chanyeol’s apartment and his office was pretty near.

His steps were getting heavier; the restriction of air was making him hard to breathe. Was it because of his lungs?

Darkness welcomed him. When he switched the lights on, everything was just like he left a week ago. All the same except for one.

Green sticky note was found near the shoe racks and other colourful sticky notes were properly aligned towards the kitchen, living room and finally the master bedroom. Jongin took the first sticky note near the shoe racks and started reading.

Remember when we discussed about tying on our son’s shoes? We would buy the same shoes of different sizes and we would wear it outside to play at the park. We wished for a son.

Jongin smiled. His stomach was churning. He moved towards the kitchen and read another one.

You made breakfast for the first time but we ate the burnt food. It wasn’t all that nice but your smile can make my day so much better.

Looking at the kitchen table and the stove, he chuckled at himself. He woke up early that day, taking out all the ingredients and he cooked for Minji for the very first time. He knew it was bad but he enjoyed laughing at Minji’s contorted face, trying to swallow the food.

His heart eased. No more stormy, no more sinking. His eyes caught a glimpse of a bright yellow paper in the living room and went towards it.

I fall asleep in your arms when we were watching Star Wars. When I woke up, I found myself sleeping on our bed. The thought of you carrying me like a princess just made me nervous all of the sudden.

Standing in front of their shared bedroom, Jongin could not make up his mind to either knock or just open it. Two pink sticky notes on the door were visible. Rubbing his tired eyes, he read it.

Your embrace that I missed, I am still having nightmares. The light kisses that tingles still lingers on my skin. When our heart beats as one, we made love to each other. Remember when you hugged me and promised to never let go of me? I’m here waiting. And if you ever change your mind, just to let you know, we were never an accident.

Welcome back home, Kim Jongin.

Choked by his own tears, he swallowed back it in. The guilt was still there and he was afraid to face her. What if it was too late? We were never an accident. They were never an accident. Jongin held onto those words more than anything else. Even if he did not find her on the bed, he would still believe that whatever they shared was sincerity.

He held his breath and opened the door.

All he knew that God was by his side. Chest heaving slowly, the red tuft of hair appearing out from the comforter confirmed that Minji was there, waiting for him. Walking towards her, he let his fingers settled on her cheeks. He missed her – her voice, her face, her lips, her nags and her kisses.

“Minji ah…”

He cooed her name. Legs shuffling against the soft bed and she turned towards his side. Minji felt warmth and she shifted closer to him.

“You are back.”

Mumbling her words, Minji’s mind was still vague. Almost forgotten the fact that they had a fight, her eyes were wide open and she saw a figure she knew too well sitting at the edge of the bed.

“When- when- did you come?”

Minji stuttered a bit.

“Where is my welcome back kiss?”

Minji threw a pillow at him.

“Don’t you ever, ever come back home late, Kim Jongin.”

She threw the pillows at him again, this time, it hit his face and he groaned in pain.

“I’m sorry, baby. I am really really sorry.”

He pleaded and Minji’s heart softened.

“You know, I took two weeks leave. I waited for you. I have tons of work to do but I have another week of rest and-”

Jongin took this chance to grab the back of her neck and kissed her. The sweetness that he longed for, he did not want it to end.

“Thank you Minji. Thank you for not giving up on me.”

The curves of her lips and the glint in her eyes showed happiness. And with that, Jongin knew that this was the girl that he’s going to be with for the rest of his life.