Never Forget

Tempestuous

Chapter 2: Never Forget

 

Kris jerked awake to the loud beeping of the alarm on his phone. Wearily, he silenced it and rubbed his eyes before getting up and dropping his head to his hands. The incident from the previous night flashed in his mind.

Blazing eyes.

The boy was going to be trouble, he could feel it.

He had left after ordering the boy to leave the meeting room, nearly racing past Yixing and Chanyeol in his uneasy need to get away from him. He didn’t have to turn around to know that Yixing hadn’t followed him out. Yixing was always the kind one. He would make sure that anyone new would be comfortable in the house.

He groaned as he forced his exhausted body to get out of bed and get ready for work. Heaven knew that he hated getting into a suit. It was stifling and rigid, not the type of freedom he was used to in the older days.

‘But, then again’, he mused, ‘We all have to grow up one day.’

 

It was when he started to put on his socks that he heard the loud thud. He barely reacted to it and continued the chore of putting his socks on.

“Jesus effing Christ!” Chanyeol’s panicked voice boomed outside his door. Kris heard a scuffle and then the loud thumping of feet of a man running for his life.

“I’M LATE!” Chanyeol’s bellow decreased in volume as he sprinted towards the dining room.

Kris chuckled slightly. This happened every time Chanyeol slept over here and, by now everyone knew how to calm him down before he choked himself trying to wolf down his breakfast.

He slipped his shoes on, checked if his tie was straight in the mirror, opened the door and headed towards the dining room. He briefly stopped at the first door after his and knocked.

No answer.

Of course Yixing would be at the dining room. The man wakes up the earliest and starts the cog wheels of the sleepy household. ‘And they said that I was the one in charge?’ he thought amusedly.

So Kris rambled onto the dining hall and leisurely pulled the sliding door open to find three people highly engaged in an eating contest.

“Hurry up, Minnie!” Jongdae fussed loudly, waving his chopsticks wildly.

“I’m already done, idiot! You finish!” Minseok replied, frantically going through a textbook in one hand and shoving the last bit of food into his mouth with the other.

“I’ll be done in a minute and outta here, Boss!” interjected Chanyeol, barely looking up from his food.

Kris just nodded at him, knowing it was no use telling him to slow down, and directed a question at the squabbling duo.

“Test today?”

“Major test today”, Minseok replied, not lifting his eyes off his book, “Half our credits depend on it.”

Jongdae nodded vigorously in agreement, his mouth too full to talk.

“All the best, then”, Kris responded, signaling the maid to get his food. He sat down at the end of the long table, right next to the head chair. He heard the door open with its sliding thwack and glanced behind to see a slender, slightly shorter man enter sluggishly. His pretty face was marred by slight dark circles beneath his tired, doe eyes and gaunt cheeks. The man gave an exhausted groan as he sat next to Minseok.

“Hey, Luhan”, Minseok greeted without even looking up from his book and Jongdae took a huge swallow and wheezed, “Morning, Luhan hyung!”

Luhan nodded drowsily in acknowledgement and barely wasted his time in digging into the breakfast that was brought to him.

“Long night?” Kris guessed, eyeing him inhale his food.

Luhan paused for a second to chew thoroughly and swallow before replying, “You think I’d be used to the night life by now! I just have to manage the damn club but it’s making me more exhausted than the kids dancing all night!”

He plunged back into his food without another word.

“Thanks for the food!” Chanyeol suddenly declared, jumping up and gathering his things, “I’m done and outta here! See you at office, Duizhang!”

Chanyeol scrambled out the door with a grin before Kris could frown down on him.  Kris turned to find two impish grins beaming at him. Kris scowled lightly at them and started on the food set in front of him. He realized one person was still missing.

“Where’s Yixing? Did he have breakfast already?” he asked the twosome sitting across him.

“He’s right here”, Yixing answered from the door before anyone else could answer, “And no, I haven’t had breakfast yet.”

He, too, signaled the maid to bring his food in and sat beside Kris.

“Where’ve you been?” Kris asked curiously, chewing some bacon, “I thought you’d be here, all ready to leave.”

“I was with Tao”, Yixing replied nonchalantly, helping himself to a generous portion of bacon.

“Tao?”

“That’s Zitao’s nickname”, Jongdae piped up with a smirk.

“Don’t you have a test to pass?” Kris retorted, irritably.

The smirk gave way to an ‘O’ shape of horror as he and Minseok rushed out, stumbling and yelling at each other for making them late.

“So”, Kris cleared his throat, completely aware that Luhan was listening intently, “Tao. Really? You gave him a nickname already? What are next, sleepovers and tea parties?” he added, voice heavy with sarcasm.

“Actually”, Yixing replied calmly, “I did sleepover in Tao’s room.”

Kris spit out the water he was drinking.

“Who’s Tao?” Luhan interjected. Yixing ignored him and delicately ate his food.

What??” Kris sputtered, eyes widened in disbelief.

Yixing spared him an unsympathetic glance before replying, “Just wanted to make sure he was okay.”

Kris managed to compose himself, coolly buttering his bread before taking a large bite out of it, “I see.”

“He’s alright now”, Yixing pressed on, looking at him stealthily.

“I didn’t ask if he was”, Kris replied sharply.

“Right.”

Yixing fell silent, munching on his toast and staring off into space. Luhan got up, eyes flickering between the two men, and awkwardly announced his departure to get some sleep.  Neither of them responded.

Kris finished his food, got up from the table and reached for his briefcase. He turned around to head out of the room when Yixing spoke abruptly.

“He passed out before he could eat anything yesterday night.”

Kris froze at the doorway. Yixing didn’t even turn around to look at him.

“He had a raging fever and I stayed up all night trying to quell it”, he continued quietly, “Chanyeol helped too. That’s why he woke up late.”

“And now?” asked Kris. His tone was deliberately flat.

Yixing turned around to look at his back.

“Well, I told you he’s fine now”, said Yixing, patiently as though explaining to a child, “His fever went down at around 5 in the morning and a little later he was strong enough to get up and eat. He ate about three bowls of rice porridge before sleeping again. He should be fine by sun down.”

“I see.”

“Poor thing”, Yixing continued, turning back to clear his food, “He kept calling for his mother in his sleep.”

Kris left without a word, ignoring Yixing’s outcry of “Wait up!”

He walked through the corridor out to the threshold and towards his car and his mind raced to an old memory.

 

It was raining hard outside the small room where they lay.

The stinging in his arm made it difficult to sleep. Yifan gingerly tried moving his arm and hissed in pain as his arm throbbed in protest. He lay down on the soft mattress they had been given and tried to ignore agony in his arm.

He shut his eyes, hoping sleep would consume him and take him to that forgotten dreamland, when he heard a soft moan from his side.

“Yixing?” he whispered.

The moan rose to a shuddering sob.

“Are you alright?”

There was no answer from the boy lying next to him except another sob.

Yifan scooted closer, his face scrunching in worry.

‘Was he hurt?’ Yifan thought, hurriedly. He had tried his best to protect the younger boy from everything. Maybe.. Maybe he didn’t do enough? Maybe he got hurt when he left him for something?

Yifan’s hands crushed the soft cloth beneath him as the thoughts ran through his head.

He knew that Yixing wouldn’t have said a word thinking it would be a burden to him.

‘Idiot’, Yifan thought furiously and reached out to shake the other boy awake and scold him. He jolted when he felt the skin beneath his palms burn.

‘He’s having a fever’, Yifan realized as he looked around him helplessly. There was no one else with them, there was no one outside the room. He couldn’t just go wake up anyone either, he was just a nobody here.

He forced himself to calm down. He looked around for a cloth to wet and finally, tore off a small part of the sheet they had and hurried outside to soak it in the ice cold rain.

He carefully wrapped it and placed it on Yixing’s forehead, gently wiping off the beads of sweat rolling down his face.

“Mm.” Yixing made a small sound.

Yifan leaned forward, “What’s wrong?”

“M-mother.”

It was a soft sob in Mandarin. But it was enough to break Yifan’s heart.

He clutched Yixing’s hand in his own and kept wiping the sweat, his eyes wet with unshed tears and his lips moving in a quiet murmur.

“I’m sorry. I’m so sorry, Yixing. I’m sorry, I’m sorry.”

Yixing’s sobs didn’t relent; a quiet, pleading chant for his dead mother.

“Hey- hey”, Yifan murmured soothingly, although his voice broke in grief, “Remember that song? The song our mothers used to sing for us?”

His trembling fingers smooth backed Yixing’s hair in attempt to calm him. His soft cries barely quieted.

“You remember the song, I know you do”, Yifan continued with a shaky smile, “You loved it. They had even sung it for us before we got separated.”

Yifan cleared his throat to try and steady his voice.

“Among the starlit fields”, he started off softly.

“And the kisses of a thousand rainbows,

You and I live forever.

Whispering secrets with the wind,

Playing with the scarlet poppies,

We would fly with the eagles, you and I,

Soak in the warmth of the sunshine

And rule the sky.

Just you and I”, his voice broke again as his tears fell, “Never forget, this eternal paradise.”

 

“You could have waited a second”, Yixing’s accusatory voice was right behind him as they approached his car.

“Well”, Kris replied, forcing a smile and looking at the other man, “That will teach you to get out in time.”

“Yeah, yeah. Better step on it, we’re already running late.”

Twenty minutes later, Yixing regretted saying those words as he emptied his stomach into a toilet bowl in the men’s room.

 

*     *     *

 

The afterglow of the setting sun had painted the sky in a gradient of purple and gold when Kris drove back home. He parked his car and got out, pausing for second to admire how the sky beautifully emphasized the silhouette of the mansion.

He started walking towards the entrance and slowed down to greet Luhan who was exiting. Kris noted that the man was fully dressed in dark clothes and was carrying a helmet.

“A job?” he enquired as Luhan fitted the helmet onto his head and pulled out a motorbike from the garage.

Luhan gave a non-committal shrug and lifted the helmet’s visor to answer.

“Not really. There might be a bit of trouble at the club so I’m just taking a precaution.” He opened the left flap of his leather jacket slightly to reveal the gleaming end of a revolver.

Kris nodded, “Keep it clean.”

Luhan’s eyes crinkled in a smile, “You know I do.” And with that he brought the visor down, kicked the clutch to bring the bike to a roaring start and revved away.

 

As Kris passed the entrance and approached the threshold, the maid came forward to take his coat.

“Yixing will be late tonight”, he told her while shrugging off the slightly crumpled coat. She bowed and turned away. Kris resisted the urge to stretch like a kitten.

It was one of those days when Yixing took the long route home. He would walk from the office, take the subway and leisurely stroll through a large park before coming home. He had taken him along once and Kris had understood why Yixing felt the need to return to that place.

The major portion of the park was wide open spaces of grassy lawns with a pathway winding through it. Gradually, the pathway would become shadowed and the air fragrant with large magnolia, lavender and cherry blossom trees. Yixing would arrive by the time when families were long gone and the runners were just exiting, sweating off their calories.

‘Solace’, he had whispered when they were walking side by side and Kris agreed. Away from the noisy life they led, away from the violence they had seen, away from world even if it was just for some time.

 

Kris opened the window in his room to let in the fresh air and changed into long sleeved brown t-shirt and dark lounge pants. Stretching, he fell back on to his bed and gazed out through the window at the star dotted sky. A gentle tap on his door notified him that dinner was ready.

It was a lonely affair, he thought while picking at his food.

 Chanyeol had gone back to his apartment, Yixing wasn’t home yet, Luhan had left for work and Minseok and Jongdae would probably be out getting drunk in despair or joy, depending on how they wrote their test.

It was a spontaneous decision to take walk around the compound. The stars peeked between the bare branches of the trees and the icy breeze gently ruffled his hair.

That was when he noticed the movement in the distance. Someone had moved past the corner of the mansion near the back rooms. He went forward cautiously, making sure his footsteps were silent. He turned at the corner swiftly and moved furtively.

In the dark, he could barely make out the outline of the person. Thin, lanky and wearing light colored clothes. Kris got close to him warily. The person turned slightly at the sound.

Kris blocked the high kick aimed at his face in pure reflex. He caught hold of the flung leg by the ankle and shoved it against the person and charged him into the wooden wall of the house. Even in the bare lighting, he could make out Tao’s dark eyes widened in surprise and guilt.

Trouble, his mind whispered.

“What was that?” he snarled at the cowering boy.

Tao refused to meet his eyes as he stammered, “I- I’m sorry. I didn’t know-“

“Didn’t know that I was going to interrupt your little exploration of the house?” Kris bit out.

“Ye-no! I wasn’t exploring. I was just getting s-some air.”

Tao was shivering but that didn’t make Kris loosen his grip on him.

“Where did you learn that move?” Kris asked sharply, “And don’t lie. I’ll twist your head right off if you do, Boss’ toy or not.”

Tao glanced up at him and Kris saw the fear in his eyes as he spoke haltingly, “W-when I was a kid.”

Kris shoved him harder against the wall and Tao let out a small, startled cry.

“Don’t make up stories!”

“I’m not! I swear! I learnt it when I was a kid in my village!”

Tao looked up to see Kris frowning and quickly continued, “We were all taught wushu at a young age. T-that’s why it was nearly a reflex for me. I was taught till I was about 12 years old. After that…”

Tao pursed his lips and looked down with a grim face of someone who didn’t want to remember but could never forget.

Kris didn’t slacken his grip at the woeful tone and his eyes were hard ice.

“I don’t want to hear your life story. Who sent you?” he asked, fiercely. He was mentally ticking off a list of people they had pissed off.

Tao furrowed his brows in confusion as he stared up, body still shaking.

“I-I don’t understand-“

Kris pulled him away from the wall slightly and slammed him against it again. Tao let out a painful whimper as he slid down lifelessly, eyes shut tight and fear etched on his face.

“P-Please. Don’t hurt me”, he half-sobbed out the word.

For a second, the fierce mask slipped from Kris’ face.

“Please! Don’t hurt us!”

Then the unwanted memory was discarded and Kris stared hard at the quivering boy beneath him.

“Who sent you?” he repeated the question, his tone less fierce than before.

“N-no one sent me”, Tao stammered, “I- I was bought. “ His tone was bitter.

Kris didn’t say anything to that statement and Tao took that opportunity to resume his explanation.

“W-When I was twelve, the government had declared that they were going to build a dam near our area and so the village would have to be evacuated. Our landlord had said there were arrangements made for us to relocate. Instead, he sold us all. Even the little ones.”

Kris looked at Tao without actually seeing him. He knew how Chinese villagers were often sold into slave labor. He could hear his mother’s voice telling him about the green paddies and the misty mountain gods when she used to put him to sleep in a dilapidated little room.

Unconsciously his grip loosened and Tao tilted his head up in surprise. Kris could see his eyes glittering earnestly up at him.

“What were you doing sneaking around?” Kris’ voice sounded hollow even to his own ears.

“I wasn’t sneaking, Duizhang”, Tao said, fervently. Kris didn’t miss the title and nearly rolled his eyes at it.

“I-er-I woke up late”, Tao began sheepishly and then his voice became panicky, “I was cooped up in the room and I-I couldn’t hear anyone outside so I thought it’d be okay if I got out and got some air.”

He briefly glanced up, as though to gauge his captor’s expression, then looked down and continued.

“I saw those flowers”, he pointed meekly behind Kris, and Kris tilted his head slightly to catch a glimpse of a dimly lit patch of golden Chinese chrysanthemums. He felt a dull ache in his chest. Yixing planted those; a reminder of their origin.

“We had those flowers back in my village”, Tao said, as though he read his mind, “It reminded me of- of home. I just walked around a bit and looked at the stars; there isn’t as much stars here as back home and-“

A loud growl cut through his rambling and both of them looked down at the source. Tao’s hands covered his stomach and let out an embarrassed squeak. Kris found himself fighting back a smile.

“You didn’t eat?” he asked. He hoped his voice sounded unconcerned.

Tao shook his head lightly and kept looking down.

“Go eat. We aren’t here to take care of you. If you want food, go get it yourself.” The sternness was back and Tao flinched visibly.

“Yes, Duizhang”, he said, timidly.

Kris pulled away and turned abruptly into a brisk walk towards the front of the mansion. The boy reminded him of himself when he first came here; lost, confused, uncertain of what was going to happen. But he had worked hard, through the exhaustion and the pain, literally shedding his blood and sweat to prove himself.

 In the end it had all been worth it. He was now second in command of the most powerful gang in South Korea.

“Duizhang.”

Kris turned around at the meek sound to see Tao bent in a respectful bow.

“What is it?” asked Kris, curiously.

“I don’t know where the kitchen is”, Tao replied stiffly. Kris sighed.

“You know what, just come sit at the table and eat”, Kris mumbled and turned around, but not before catching a glimpse of Tao’s startled face.

Tao followed him silently till they neared the threshold. A loud shout pierced the stillness of the night and Kris winced.

“Here they come”, he grumbled, staring in annoyance at the entrance.

‘They’ consisted of Minseok and Yixing bodily hauling a very drunk and weeping Jongdae through the entrance.

“An’-an’ Minnie said tha’ it wen’ -hic!-  awrigh’, dincha Minnie?” Jongdae asked unintelligibly to a panting Minseok who looked ready to bash Jongdae into the ground. Yixing grinned and gave one last haul that forced Jongdae to his feet.

“I’m guessing the test went badly for him”, said Kris, wryly.

“Pretty sure he did fine”, said Minseok. His cheeks were red from the alcohol and the manual exertion but his feet were firm on the ground and his words didn’t slur one bit, “He has a habit of whining about everything going to hell when he does well.”

“I’m doooooo-hic!-med, Minnie”, Jongdae wailed, leaning dangerously onto Minseok, arms flailing around him as he clutched for support.

“Yes, yes, you’re doomed. Now, get on, idiot” Minseok sighed as he bent and lifted Jongdae piggyback style. Yixing helped by pushing Jongdae on and patting his back when he was secure.

“Okay, so we’re off to bed”, Minseok grunted under Jongdae’s deadweight, “Good night.”

Jongdae let out a light snore and Kris shook his head exasperatedly.  He gave way for Minseok to trudge ahead and then turned to Tao with a gruff, “Come on, we haven’t got all night.”

He ignored Yixing’s curious smile as Tao followed him into the house. Directing Tao into the dining room, he looked up at the sky through the opening of the courtyard. He heard Yixing stand beside him and, for a moment, they both gazed at the faintly twinkling star field.

Yixing broke the silence, “Better get some food for Tao.”

“Yeah”, Kris replied, gently. His eyes tore away from the ink black sky and found Tao standing meekly by the door, waiting for them to enter. He bowed as they entered the hall and stood until they beckoned him to sit and eat.

He ate eagerly the rice with the eagerness of a child given his favorite food. Yet, his movements exuded cautiousness, like he expected an attack any second and, suddenly, Kris felt a headache mounting.

Why was Tao reminding him of his past so much? He had wanted to overcome the fact that he was Chinese and be on top, in a position of power, to show those people who put him down that he was better than all of them.

He had made peace with his past and all that was destroyed by this boy.

This boy with the same blazing eyes as his past self.

This boy with memories of a world he had always wanted to know but never could.

“Never forget, this eternal paradise”, he whispered to himself and Yixing gave him a small, sad smile.

 

*  *  *

And I'm back!

I am SO SORRY FOR THE LONG TIME I MADE YOU GUYS WAIT FOR THIS UPDATE!

I swear that I have very credile reasons:

1. I had lab exams and viva.

2. I got the Game of Thrones book AND its sequel. You can't really expect me to do anything else without finishing those.

3. The Kris incident. Yes, I cried a lot over it and I couldn't bring myself to finish this chapter off.

4. (The last one, promise) The ending of this chapter bugged me so much that I rewrote it 3 times.

And here is the result.

And YAY, Luhan is introduced! Don't worry, the rest of them will come along soon. This is an OT12 story after all.

So, what do you think? Slow progress but it's a start. Comment your thoughts and don't forget to click a vote!

ヾ(@^▽^@)ノ