c h a p t e r — 1 5 ❅

halcyon daze

Hello! First, I'd like to say: Happy holidays! I hope everyone has been having a wonderful winter break. Secondly, I'd like to apologize for my mistake in my author's note from last chapter. I made an edit that hapter 15 (this chapter) would be holiday filler instead of plot-moving. I hope no one is too upset!

Chapter 16 will be the real deal, I swear. After tomorrow though, I'm going to spend the week at some relative's house, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to post it! Maybe around or after the New Year. Until then, thank you for being patient and also supporting this story! ♡

Ow9oCa5.png
chapter 15

"You can't stay in here forever."

"Watch me." Taekwoon retorted petulantly.

Yixing sighed from the kitchen, taking another scoop of cereal into his mouth. "Fine," he said as he chewed, "I won't let you."

Taekwoon scowled. "Don't talk with your mouth full."

Yixing smartly garbled back. Taekwoon shoved his face back into a couch pillow and groaned as long and loud as he could.

The thing that solidified what happened between him and Hakyeon was a message from Minseok: Are you alright? That's what he asked, and Taekwoon didn't know how to reply. He hated what happened, how Hakyeon acted and how he handled it—but he didn't have a degree in Emotional Communication, he could barely get through five words without getting annoyed or embarrassed.

Yixing had been the good friend of course; comforting and actually on his side for once, even though he didn't know much of the situation. He saw how hard it affected Taekwoon's mood, so it his comfort was a thing to be grateful for.

"Come on, you can't possibly be in a bad mood the day before Christmas." Yixing tried, and Taekwoon's shot up.

"What?"

Yixing blinked at him. ". . . Christmas? Taekwoonie, don't tell me you haven't—" Then he looked around the apartment. "Then again, you don't even have a tree up . . ."

Taekwoon followed his sight trail around the apartment. It was bare and sharp, like it had been since he moved in. He never made a move to make it homey or comfortable because there was no point in it. He'd just have to take it all down once he moved anyway, and that was probably going to be soon as it was.

Yixing clapped, "That's it, I know what we're going to do today." he said, in a mock of a western cartoon character.

He didn't know how he managed to do it, but Yixing dragged him out of the house and they went shopping. Not for clothes or food or things to do, but for Christmas decorations. The infallible reasoning was that, Even Seungho has some decorations, and if he does, that means you definitely have to. Just because you're dead inside doesn't mean your home has to reflect that. Despite how stupid it sounded, Taekwoon couldn't argue.

Going out hadn't been something he wanted to do for the main reason that he didn't want to bump into anyone from school. It was almost surefire that his friend circle knew what happened at the cafe. He couldn't pin that on Minseok because he knew how to mind his own business, but he knew how Hakyeon was—and Hakyeon was bad about keeping drama to himself, even if it involved him. He scoffed over all the girls Hakyeon dated and how they were awful, along with everything else he told him.

Now that Yixing was forcing him to get a good look around town, he realized it: Christmas really was tomorrow, and everything was drenched in red and gold and green. He didn't know how he missed it . . . Then again, it was never really a holiday he got into after he grew up. The whole busy parents thing must have had something to do with it.

"Do you have people you want to buy gifts for?" Yixing asked after they bought a small tree and ts for it.

Taekwoon thought; money wasn't an issue, but he had never bought gifts for people before, save for his sisters and Yixing. He didn't even know what people liked. Still . . . He'd grown into this place, and surprisingly into the people. He couldn't think of everyone, but he definitely knew he wanted to buy Seungho a gift, and of course Yixing too. Then he thought about Ravi, about Hongbin and Ken, Hyuk and Yongguk, and wondered if they'd even want a present for him. What did they like? Was that a right he had?

He was hard on the thought that he should get something for Jongdae and Hakyeon, both who he hadn't heard from since the cafe incident. He should buy something for Himchan and Minseok too.

". . . Yeah." he finally answered.

Yixing clasped his shoulder happily. "Let's get to it then."

So that was how they spent their day, Christmas Eve: running around town and buying last-minute gifts. Taekwoon constantly struggled to pick things out, and their carry load got heavier with each store they left. Yixing kept asking if he was sure he had everything, if there was anyone else he wanted to buy for, if there was one more decoration he wanted for the apartment. It was a good thing they left in the morning, because they would have stayed out into the night time.

Why couldn't we have just celebrated at Seungho's . . . Taekwoon despaired as they climbed the stairs that had become a death trap with all the things they carried. It took a stolen shopping cart and two trips to get everything into the apartment, and only then was Yixing satisfied.

Taekwoon collapsed in the entrance, mourning the life choices that led him to this exhaustion only to find it all started with Yixing.

"Don't just sit there, Woonie," Yixing chided, already digging into endless bags and pulling out decorations, "let's get to it!"

Taekwoon groaned. This was not how he envisioned winter break at all.

But as they strung things up and made it all sparkly and pretty, vomited on by the holidays, Taekwoon felt . . . sad. This was how he should be spending it with his family, and Yixing too. He thought about how Yixing was here in Korea with him, instead of in China with his big family and ample younger cousins who he adored and vise versa. How his school friends were probably spending time with their families, and maybe even each other without him.

He wondered if Ravi was home right now, with his makeshift family, celebrating the night before Christmas.

When they took a short break in the kitchen after setting up the tree that went up to their waists on the table, Taekwoon leaned into Yixing, eyes closed and nose burning. Yixing patted him on the head, and they stayed like that for a little while.

"Do you want to put the star on the tree?" Yixing teased when they were finally done decorating both it and the apartment. Taekwoon had been eying the pretty gold star they picked out, and remembered when he used to put it on the top as a kid. He scowled at Yixing, who had actually gotten out a camera to either take blackmail pictures or record blackmail footage. Either way, he knew it'd be used against him later in life.

Face beginning to burn red, Taekwoon let Yixing record and snap photos, all while cooing at him in such a mocking and playful way—Taekwoon wanted to chuck the star at his stupid forehead for it. With a quivering hand, he set the star on the very top of the tree and situated it properly, face continuing to warm.

"See, that wasn't so hard." Yixing laughed, and then put the camera down.

Even though he had been dragged through all of today against his will, when they finally looked around his house, there was such a thick sense of satisfaction in it. He may not have been with family, but he was with Yixing, and maybe that was enough. The whole apartment was warm and lit, soaked in the same colors he saw everywhere else today, and he sort of wished he could show his friends, show Hakyeon and Jongdae.

All of that aside, just when he thought they could settle in for the night, Yixing whipped another bag up. "Time to wrap presents!"

Taekwoon groaned loudly.

By the time they were truly finished, it was almost 11PM. Taekwoon had colorful tinsel wrapped around his head and a few bows stuck on him somewhere. Yixing had marker on his face and hands, and name tags stuck up his arms like bandages. Shreds of wrapping paper sat scattered around them like there had been a massacre, and now all the scene needed were a few plastic reindeer caught on fire and a drunk Santa Claus.

Just as Taekwoon flopped back, there was a knock at the door. He bounced right back up like a bobbing bird. The door opened by itself.

"Hey, I just . . ." Seungho trailed off as he got an eye-full of the scene in the apartment. "What . . . What happened here?" he laughed, walking in and shutting the door behind him. He kicked mounds of wasted wrapping paper away and then picked up some bows. Taekwoon flopped back down.

"We were just getting ready for Christmas." Yixing chirped, and Taekwoon wanted to strangle him for how cheerful he sounded.

"I came yesterday and it definitely didn't look like this." Seungho coughed a laugh of disbelief. "You both did all of this today?"

"Yep!"

"Ugh, yes . . ."

Taekwoon glared at Yixing, who rubbed his knee like one might do affectionately to a dog.

"It looks like a war zone." Seungho eventually joked. "I came to ask you if you've eaten."

At the mention of food, Taekwoon finally perked up for the first time that day. They ended up having to clean everything in the apartment that night when they left Seungho's.

"Wake up, lumpy." Yixing was pushing into his side. They slept on the floor of the living room, having pushed the coffee table out of the way to make room, with all of the Christmas lights on, dreaming of things they wanted and couldn't have. Taekwoon didn't even remember falling asleep after nearly whacking Yixing in the face for an awful pun he made, but here he was now, being bothered awake.

"Come back next time," he rasped into his pillow, "Taekwoon isn't available."

"Taekwoon has to be available," Yixing humored, "Seungho said we should go to his house to eat."

The mention of food once again pushed energy into his body and he rolled over to sit up, rubbing his eyes. Neither of them bothered changing from their night clothes since they were just going next door. They got inside Seungho's apartment and that was when Taekwoon realized he had a bow stuck to his heel, and Yixing peeled it off, laughing.

A warm smell of food permeated all of Seungho's, and Taekwoon paused at the door to take all of it in, a little glad he was actually pulled out of bed for this.

"Merry Christmas," Seungho greeted cheerfully.

It felt like an odd, distant scene, watching Seungho cook happily in the kitchen and Yixing helping him, like it was a natural part of the world; as natural as Taekwoon sitting and watching them, here in an apartment that wasn't quite home but also was more comfortable than any placed he ever lived since he was young.

"Don't just stand there," Seungho chided him, "set the table."

Taekwoon blinked, and then a smile twitched at his lips.

Breakfast was filling, but Taekwoon felt like he could still eat more. It was probably the fact that Seungho's cooking never failed to please him. While he sat back and mindlessly rubbed at his belly, he thought about his friends and what they were doing this morning. He didn't want to admit the little hole in his chest at the fact that he was now actively avoiding them because of what happened before. He hoped they were having good days.

He thought about Ravi too, and even pulled a little smile. That house was probably lively and messy. He could imagine Ken tearing into everything just to be annoying, and Hyuk chanting about getting things he wanted; maybe they were larger books or more little figurines. What did Ravi get? What did Ravi even like?

. . . He had the smallest, tiniest hope Ravi would like what he got him.

"Earth to Taekwoon," Yixing snapped his fingers in front of his face. Taekwoon blinked in surprise, raising his eyebrows. Yixing pointed to the couch. "Your phone's going off."

Hearing that, he jumped up and bounced to it, hoping he wouldn't miss the call. Even more surprisingly, it turned out to be a video call . . . from Hongbin.

"Who is it?" Yixing asked, helping clear the table.

"It's . . . It's Hongbin," Taekwoon responded, still baffled.

Yixing jutted his bottom lip in thought. He shrugged, "Well, don't keep him waiting."

A little dazed, Taekwoon hit accept.

"See, I told you he'd pick up—"

"Well you kept letting it ring, there was no wa—"

"Alright, shut up, he picked up and that's the point."

"You guys, he's looking at us."

Taekwoon blinked at the screen, where Hongbin, Ken, and Hyuk were gathered. "H-. . . Hi." he greeted awkwardly.

"Hyung!" Hyuk waved, taking up most of the screen.

"Move!" Ken complained, subsequently throwing his arms around Hongbin's shoulders.

Taekwoon wondered where Ravi and Yongguk were. Mainly Ravi, since Yongguk wasn't the type for this sort of thing. "Um, hello?" he said again.

"Okay, on three guys," Ken said, "Wait, no, get Ravi!"

Taekwoon's heart jumped a little bit.

Soon, Hyuk pulled him into the frame, his curly white hair sticking every which way and eyes puffy with sleep. It popped into Taekwoon's mind that Ravi would've looked that exact same way if he stayed that one day to watch him wake up after the nap. He dipped his head, hoping the quality of his camera would hide his blush.

"Okay, now, on three," Ken started again, "One, two, three,"

"Merry Christmas!" the four of them chorused into the phone, almost startling it out of Taekwoon's hands. He settled, staring at them as they all pushed each other around and trying to talk over one another.

"That sounds like more than one person," Yixing said from his side, and he turned to look at him.

"It . . . It is . . ." he replied helplessly, not knowing how to deal with them all at once.

"Hey, pay attention to us!" Ken whined, shoving Hyuk's head out of the way. "Who're you talking toooo?"

Taekwoon bit his lip and nodded his head to his phone at Yixing. He smiled and moved to his side. Taekwoon turned back to the screen to see Hongbin's face light up and Hyuk's face fall—Hongbin must've not said anything about Yixing at all. Ravi's expression shifted too.

"Th-This is my friend, this is Yixing," he introduced shyly, and Yixing patted his shoulder from behind.

"What, you mean you actually have friends?!" Ken laughed loudly, and Ravi winced since it was right in his ear, dodging out of the screen. Yixing waved into the camera.

"Shut up Ken, let me talk," Hongbin rolled his eyes, and then glanced over his shoulder. "I invited both of them to the party, so you'll get to meet him too." he said like him and Yixing had been friends for years already.

"He is?" Hyuk asked, excitement bubbling in his voice. "I can't wait to meet you then!"

Taekwoon closed his eyes and prayed they wouldn't terrorize his poor friend that much like they did to him.

Yixing whispered into his ear, "Are you going to tell them you bought them presents?" Taekwoon spotted Ravi in the back of the frame, watching them. Taekwoon shook his head fervently. He would just bring them with him to the party—it was way too embarrassing to tell them here and now. It'd probably be so much harder face to face, but he'd deal with that then.

"Don't hog all of Taekwoon's time, I'm sure he has family he wants to spend this morning with too." He heard Yongguk's voice off screen.

"Killjoy!" Ken hollered after him.

"So we'll see you on New Year's Eve Leo-hyung?" Hyuk asked with sparkling eyes.

"Of course we will." Hongbin smiled brightly. "Say bye now." They all talked over each other to say bye, and then Hongbin looked over his shoulder again. "Say byebye, Ravi," he singsonged.

Ravi faltered in the back but got up closer. "Bye, Leo-hyung. And Leo-hyung's friend, I guess."

"B-Bye . . ." Taekwoon muttered back.

"What do you mean 'you guess!'" Hyuk exclaimed, but then the call ended before anymore could be heard.

When Taekwoon dropped his head and heaved a tired sigh, Yixing chuckled at him. "What's so funny . . ." he mumbled, wobbling over to collapse on the couch.

"Nothing." Yixing laughed, having a sudden knowing air about him.

Seungho joined them on the couch. "A few friends of mine are coming over to celebrate, would you two like to stay?" They looked at each other, knowing it wasn't like they had anything else to do or anyone else to spend time with. They nodded. "Great. I'm sure they'll be glad to meet you." he said. "Also, what's this about a party . . . ?" He raised an eyebrow at mainly Taekwoon.

Taekwoon held back the urge to groan for the millionth time in four days.