c h a p t e r — o 9

halcyon daze
chapter o9

Monday afternoon, Taekwoon decided maybe eating lunch on the roof for once was a nice idea. Getting away from the stuffy lunchroom where people constantly chattered around him was a nice breather. Although, Hakyeon would probably complain that he had his breather all weekend, "You know, being with your parents and all. By the way, how was that? You said you’d tell me everything!" Taekwoon snorted. He didn't say that and he didn't plan on saying anything about it ever. He was just glad that Hakyeon hadn't asked Seungho about it. Lucky break.

The door opened and stiffening slightly, Taekwoon glanced over his shoulder to see Yongguk. He relaxed.

"Oh, Taekwoon," he waved, a smile forming on his face, "no one usually comes up here."

Yeah, that's why I'm here . . . Begrudgingly, Taekwoon scooted over. Yongguk sat down without waiting for him to finish moving and he scowled a little. Being pushy must have been something they all picked up from living together.

Eating in the cafeteria would have been a lot easier and he thought about excusing himself to (he couldn't believe he even thought about it) go back to Hakyeon and Jongdae. Somehow, he couldn't see his food settling easily with someone he barely knew sitting next to him like this. He thought he would have been used to intruders by now.

Yongguk sighed. Taekwoon turned uneasy. "Would it be too much to say I'm surprised about you, Jung Taekwoon?" he asked, and Taekwoon raised an eyebrow; surprising wasn't something call himself. Yongguk figured this. "I meant, about you being so easy with us. I wanted to say thanks."

It was a dumb thing to be thanked for. "Why?"

"Truth is, I’m still waiting, but it hasn’t been that long . . ." Vague, vague, vague. Taekwoon narrowed his eyes down at his food, willing an explanation. "But it seems like we didn't chase you out. Not at the store, at the market, at the fields. Most people don't even bother to approach us. It makes Hyuk feel bad."

Hyuk was the youngest, wasn't he? Taekwoon thought about what Hakyeon said again, about the majority against the minority. Hyuk must've not had a lot of friends since he was associated with Yongguk and Ravi. Taekwoon didn't understand the way these people worked, not that he really wanted to.

It was bad enough that people were forcing their way into his life, tailing after him, hollering in his ear . . . Given the chance to swap places with Hyuk, he would in a heartbeat if it meant being left alone.

"But if it ever gets to be too much," Yongguk started, and Taekwoon pulled his chopsticks from his mouth, "it’s okay for you to leave."

"What’s that supposed to mean?" he blurted, slightly offended. But he did want to leave. He was just waiting to leave. It was bound to happen eventually.

"The others still aren't so settled with you. They think you'll just stop showing up everywhere, probably avoiding them. It’s been like that before." Before clearly meant a past, and even if Yongguk was practically inviting questions, Taekwoon didn't want to know.

"I think they're mostly just worried about Ravi."

Hearing his name, Taekwoon tensed up a little. Were things always about Ravi when it came to these guys? As if he was some sort of glue to their weird little family or whatever—Taekwoon just saw an annoyance, and he was the one who popped up everywhere, not him.

"You'll try for Ravi, won't you?" Yongguk asked, voice strangely thick. "I know there's probably a lot of pressure from other people around you, but it's not as bad as it seems."

Taekwoon didn’t know what try meant. Try what? To be their friend? To hang out more? No one was ever straight with him; it really was like one of the dramas he watched. He wondered what Yixing would say . . . He’d probably mock him.

"Why Ravi?" he found himself asking.

Yongguk looked at him in surprise. Taekwoon bit his lip and looked down, self-conscious. He cleared his throat and shook his head, mouthing Never mind. The last thing he should be trying to do is get involved anymore than they were forcing him to be, but when it all seemed like there was some sort of bigger picture, he couldn't stave off his curiosity.

He placed his chopsticks back onto his tray and stood up, not sparing a glance at Yongguk as he began walking off.

"Just think about it," Yongguk called right before he closed the roof door.

"What's wrong?" Minseok asked after Taekwoon snorted to himself.

Taekwoon looked up from his cup, snapping from his daze. He took a sip of his latte. "Nothing." he replied, and Minseok shrugged, going back to filling another order.

Himchan appeared from the back, tying an apron around his waist. His eyes lit when he spotted Taekwoon sitting at the bar and hurried up to him.

Taekwoon sat straight, trying not to look confused. He didn't know Himchan worked here too.

"Hey I," Himchan started, but then he looked around. He didn't find what he was looking for and turned back to Taekwoon. "I need to talk to you? About something . . . But not here, uh. My break just ended, but can I go to your house after I get off work?"

Taekwoon stared at him. How did Himchan even know where he lived? That was probably a dumb question—since he was friends with Jongdae and Hakyeon, who didn't know where he lived . . . Still, they didn't talk all that much; why did he suddenly want to talk to him, and in private? He wondered if Himchan was trying to his way into his life too.

He shrugged. "Why not," he muttered. Maybe he should just give in to the fact that everyone around he was butting their way into his life. Everyone wanted to be his friend. He wished his raincloud would come back.

It was two hours later when there was a knock at his door. Taekwoon got up from his kitchen stool to walk to the door and opened it.

Himchan smiled at him with his uniform blazer and backpack swung over his shoulder. "Hey!" he greeted brightly, and Taekwoon moved aside for him to come in.

He whistled after getting an eye-full of the apartment and Taekwoon watched him with a frown. "I've never been inside before, this place is nice."

I'm surprised Jongdae hasn't made a spare to come in when I'm not home. He reminded himself to hide his house keys whenever Jongdae was over. "Uh. Welcome, I guess," he replied, closing the door and heading back to his bowl of cereal.

Himchan walked into the kitchen after setting his things down by the high counter. "Hey so, sorry for coming all this sudden and stuff, I just wanted to . . . ask you something."

Taekwoon looked at him, chewing on his cereal and not replying.

Himchan cleared his throat. "Did you go? Somewhere on Friday?" he asked, taking the stool next to him. "I heard Jongdae complaining to Luhan at the cafe about how he saw you rushing out of the school . . ."

What was the big deal about that? That's why Himchan wanted to talk to him?

"I know you think it's weird I'm suddenly asking!" Himchan defended, putting his hands up. "I'm asking because a friend came to me on Sunday, she told me she saw you coming out of a house . . . from Friday."

Taekwoon's spoon froze in air and he stared at Himchan. Uncomfortable warmth began prickling under his skin and a flush started rising in his cheeks. He'd been caught.

Himchan bit his lip, Taekwoon's expression a dead giveaway for what he wanted to know. "You . . . You know who they are, don't you?"

"Who is she?" he asked, nearly cutting him off. Maybe he was mad, maybe it was just annoyance, but he realized putting up a constant fight against the butting in was the easiest way to avoid trouble. If he had just ignored Ravi and his friends that Friday, none of this would be happening to him. Hakyeon made him paranoid about . . .

About what? What was he so freaked out about?

"Who?" Himchan asked, "Oh, my friend? Don't get mad at her, it's not her fault. Hyeri, she's my junior, so we're close."

"Did she tell anyone else?" he asked, finally putting this spoon in his mouth. He chewed carefully and thoroughly, trying not to get upset.

Himchan looked surprised. "Not that I know of." he said, rubbing his forearm.

Taekwoon contemplated Himchan a little longer. "Are you going to warn me too?" he deadpanned.

Himchan laughed a little, shaking his head. "No," he replied, but then turned serious. "I used to be friends with them, too." Taekwoon raised his eyebrows. This was definitely a first. "I just wanted to tell you to be careful. I used to be friends with them, there's a reason for that . . ."

All the questions stacked up in Taekwoon's head nearly forced their way out. Weird excitement bubbled in his stomach because Himchan was like . . . a gateway almost. He could ask Himchan anything and maybe Himchan would tell him. But what did he want to know? There was too much.

"So, what?" he asked instead, swallowing his curiosity.

"I just don't want the same thing happening to you, y'know?" His answer was quick, he sounded a little nervous. "I like you, you seem really nice, so I just thought . . . You should know."

Taekwoon hummed.

"Do you want some cereal?"

Himchan hung around for about an hour and half. They mostly talked about school and the cafe, Taekwoon even asked when he started working there. Himchan told him that he was only filling in for Daehyun, their manager didn't really care.

Taekwoon felt a little bad for being irritated earlier. Himchan didn't seem so bad and wasn't nearly as annoying as Jongdae or Hakyeon. He made snarky remarks and jokes now and then, and Taekwoon even found himself laughing a little at them.

He left, telling Taekwoon he'd see him at school and slipping in a Be careful. Taekwoon was confused about everything, but Himchan probably didn't mean harm. At least he hadn't been obnoxious about it.

Taekwoon tapped his phone on his knee, watching it lift up and down.

So far, he had Hongbin's number and someone else's number he hadn't checked yet. It wasn't Ravi, and it probably wasn't Ken or Hyuk either. From the way Yongguk kept talking to him about everything, it was probably his, but Taekwoon wasn't going to double check by replying.

He wanted to though.

Was being a teenager supposed to be this complicated and confusing? His sisters used to complain all the time when they were in high school and he was still young about everything from boys to traitor friends. He'd heard it all and thought from their experience, he was prepared, because it really didn't seem that bad then.

Now that he was wrapped up in a silly mess of blown-up dramatics, he knew what they were always complaining about. Being able to talk to them and get their advice would be nice, but they had their own lives. They didn't have time for their abandoned little brother, the star of a teenage drama.

He looked at the wall connecting his and Seungho's apartment. Maybe someone else did though . . .

Taekwoon sat at Seungho's dining table, folding paper into little house shapes and setting them up next to each other. Seungho sat across from him, counting the folded papers and then counting them again every time Taekwoon sat down a new one.

"Is everything at school alright?"

Seungho sounded like an estranged dad and Taekwoon fought off rolling his eyes. Will you just answer the question . . . "Everything at school is fine. Don't they call you? You have access to my grades too . . ."

"I know," Seungho replied, leaning back in his chair. "I guess I'm just worried there are things you don't tell me. I want to help."

You could help me by answering my question.

Seungho hummed. "I guess I would just be friends with them anyway." he finally replied. "If you don't think they're people who'd give you trouble, what else is there to worry about? Your judgment is pretty good, you're pretty stringent about people." he continued. "If you think everyone else is being over-dramatic and silly, don't pay attention to them."

That's what Taekwoon thought too, but everyone just had to have him second-guessing himself.

"Who are you talking about, by the way?" Seungho asked with a raised eyebrow.

Taekwoon shook his head. ". . . Just some kids from school. It's no big deal."

Seungho sighed. Taekwoon felt a little bad for not telling him the whole truth, but there wasn't any real harm . . . Besides, it was better for himself.

He folded another paper and looked back up at Seungho. "Thanks . . ." he said, ducking his head. He meant it. They might not have gotten off on the best foot, but Seungho proved to be reliable and Taekwoon was at least a little glad he was the one his sister talked about so much.

Seungho smiled warmly back at him. A new level of of communication and trust was reached between them, and he felt satisfied (and like less of a failure in being Taekwoon's guardian) that Taekwoon was coming to him for advice now.

Taekwoon walked back into his apartment and straight to his kitchen to brew tea and grab his phone.

He checked through for messages—from Jongdae, from Hakyeon, from Yixing, from unknown numbers, from anyone, but there were none. He resigned himself to the fact that now he was just bored when he was alone instead of content and he blamed everyone in this upside-down, pushy town for that.

He poured his tea from the kettle and only blew on it a few times before tasting it. It was called "Five Flavor Tea," but so far, Taekwoon had only tasted sour and salty, though they both had sweet undertones. If he kept tasting it, maybe he'd eventually get around it being completely sweet, or he just wasn't bringing out that flavor right.

He pulled his phone from his pocket, keeping his thoughts at bay, and tapped on the first unknown number he saw. He messaged it.

-taekwoon
who is this?

Tonight, the tea tasted spicy.