Part Three

Midnight Sky (One Shot)

 

Part Three:
 
His flight was due for 2 A.M that morning; it was the earliest he could make it. SungMin sat in the airport, waiting and reading a book his professor had given him as a goodbye present. 
 
When his terminal was ready, SungMin smirked as he climbed onto the plane, ready to surprise Lee SunKyu.
 
South Korea was moderately warm as SungMin had walked out of the airport with a black handbag and a suitcase only. He took off his sunglasses and climbed into his chauffeur’s vehicle.
 
SungMin thought about driving straight to the orphanage Sunny used to live at, only to realize she moved out as soon as she graduated high school. Without keeping contact with her throughout these years, he had to wait a bit before he could see her.
 
__
 
That night was a typical summer night, humid and sticky, but filled with energy at the neighborhood fireworks show where SungMin and Sunny used to live in. He had remembered without thinking and went there without really knowing.
 
Even though seeing Sunny was his first priority, he came to the fireworks show instead. SungMin stood there nostalgically; he remembered in the ten some years he lived in this neighborhood, he never saw this firework show. He always had stayed behind, sneaking Sunny into his bedroom, closed all the windows, and listened to music together so she wouldn’t hear the loud booming of the summer fireworks.
 
“ That’s right. SunKyu’s afraid of fireworks.”, he thought and smiled at how cute that was.
 
Another firework shot up into the air and burst into a rainbow of colors, spelling out energy and magic with its vivid glow. SungMin began to walk away from the crowd of people when another firework shot into the air like the previous and he felt a pair of hands grab his arm tightly.
 
The feeling was so familiar and when he turned his head, he only furrowed his brows in the influx of emotions that swarmed at him.
 
The word “SunKyu” repeated in his head so many times before he actually spoke the word.
 
Sunny, who had been afraid of fireworks, came to the fireworks show that happened every five years, out of loneliness. Although Sunny lost that someone to stay behind with, here--he returned to her.
 
SungMin suddenly attacked her, pulling her so swiftly into his arms, so protectively because he wanted to know if it was reality. Sunny, unable to react initially, finally knew that the day had come; she didn’t know if she wanted to laugh or to cry, but purely shocked.
 
Being held in an embrace and holding someone in your embrace was a simple sign of intimacy, yet it could bring so much happiness and satisfaction.
 
Because it was true and it was real.
 
Lee SungMin wasn’t the impulsive SungMin under that dark midnight sky that night anymore. He was clad in a black suit, white collared shirt with a matching black tie; he was a known prodigy in the business world.
 
Lee SunKyu wasn’t the same weak and innocent Sunny who felt insecure under that dim streetlight under that same dark midnight sky. She was a mature young lady now, collected and respected by her students.
 
They both were overflowing with happiness; SungMin kissed her forehead, moved onto her nose, and her eyes, and Sunny had to stop him from kissing herself all over for her being in front of his eyes was his happiness. Sunny was now bold; she smacked her own lips confidently onto SungMin’s lips and there, they kissed with a passion that made her forget about the fireworks in the backdrop.
 
The night they nearly broke was a dark, dark midnight sky, but even midnight skies have the minute where the sun cracks it and like that, they resolved happily that night.
 
Tonight, the night was just as dark as that night…but it was filled with happiness…just like how the sky were filled with a kind of vivid glow known as fireworks.