Part One

Midnight Sky (One Shot)

 

Part One
 
Sunny listened, but reluctantly turned away from SungMin, feeling uncomfortable with his suggestion, “ Why…”
 
She began and then paused for a moment as though to search for the right way to phrase it, “…is it that bad?”
 
Though angry, impatient, and frustrated, SungMin listened until Sunny had finished the sentence before he pulled her back, holding her small frame from behind, “ Yes, it’s that bad. I can’t anymore, SunKyu. Just the thought of the distance…”
 
“ But what do we have? ” Sunny still questioned his plan.
 
He only seemed to hug her tighter than before, “ …I have you.” SungMin’s words melted into a mere whisper, serenading her ears with his sincerity.
 
Sunny, who had been calm all this while, broke at the words of SungMin. Her eyes welled up with newly formed teardrops, only able to utter one word, “SungMin” quietly, but meaning so much at this moment.
 
“ Do you know what it will feel to me to lose you overnight? ” He spilled his fears to her as he hugged SunKyu tightly,“ I’m afraid that when I leave you, I’d come back a different person…and I’d come back to a different you too.”
 
Sunny looked down at his hands which had tightly gripped her whole body and slowly peeled him away from herself, “ Oppa, remember when I was 13? ”
 
She turned around to face him with sadness in her eyes, “ When we’d sneak around holding hands and when you’d steal kisses from me behind doors when no one was looking? ”
 
He only listened.
 
“ You were 16 and I was 13. But you couldn’t tell people your girlfriend was only 13...and we couldn’t tell people that we loved because somehow… it was wrong for us to love each other…” Her voice began to quiver, “ Why is it so tiring for us to be together? ” Her voice was filled with emotion and tears finally rolled down her cheeks.
 
It tugged at his own heart to watch Sunny cry, but as he wiped her tears away, he told her, “ But age doesn’t matter now. We made it through that.”
 
Suddenly, SungMin felt like he couldn’t be weak anymore. If as a man, he can’t even not let his girlfriend cry, he isn’t qualified to take her away.
 
Sunny smiled bitterly, “ That hasn’t changed…Age is still our difference.”
 
 SungMin was holding her hand and herself altogether, as if his protection could prevent her entire body from falling apart altogether as they could do nothing more than that right now.
 
“ But if we run away…we can leave all of that behind, ” SungMin wanted to leave together as he couldn’t stand making her cry anymore, “ Let’s run away.”
 
Sunny leaned closer onto his chest, slowly telling him her worries, “ I’m 16...what can I do as a 16 year old orphan? What rights do I have? ”
 
Sunny had been holding this thought since he had brought up that idea.
 
“ You’re 19...about to go abroad to a business school, future CEO, what don’t you have…I‘m scared, so scared, Oppa. ” The minute she explained, SungMin finally understood the insecurities of the girl standing in front of him, why she was so against running away with him.
 
He pulled Sunny away from himself and held her hand as he spoke, “ What I won’t have is you…“ SungMin emphasized every word, “ I can easily graduate business school, I can easily become a CEO, I can easily own cars…and houses…and by then, what I won’t have is a heart.”
 
SungMin’s gaze at Sunny was fierce and it was confident, “ I would kill myself before I say something as lame as this normally, but right now, I’m not speaking as Lee SungMin, but as the man who loves Lee SunKyu…”
 
All the words and insecurities boiling inside of Sunny, tearing herself apart just minutes ago suddenly faded away. She could only devote her entire attention to SungMin right now, not only her ears, but her eyes to his eyes and her heart to his heart.
 
“…As the man who loves Lee SunKyu, that girl didn’t steal my heart…I gave it to her. I handed it over to her 100% willingly 10 years ago…”
 
SungMin was never the cheesy romantic type. If it weren’t for this situation, Sunny would’ve busted out laughing a long time ago; she didn’t--because she knew he was for real.
 
Sunny finally responded, although not with ease, “ I can’t give your heart back to you.”, she was a bit tense, yet a bit assured at once, “…just like how you can’t give my heart back yet either.”
 
The two had finally reached a common ground; although they had thought of losing each other the entire time, they had missed out on the fact that without each other’s physical being and the physical intimacy, they were still intact.
 
Sunny and SungMin had stood under a midnight sky as they cried, felt fear, and nearly tore apart, but little had they realize that even the darkest of nights ends. The sun had cracked open the initial midnight dark sky.
 
SungMin smiled gently and wrapped his arms around the tiny Sunny’s waist once again, this time around, less dramatic, less tense, but with so much more confidence. It was because this time, he knew there would be another time where he could hold her again, “ SunKyu-ah, I decided.”
 
“ Hm? ” She tilted her head to her right slightly.
 
SungMin pondered for one more moment, “ I’m going.”
 
Running away was not something the man who loves Lee SunKyu would do, but something that the confused boy who can't even stop her from crying would do. He decided he wanted to be the former, not the latter. 
 
He caressed her face and touched it with delicacy as if Sunny might disappear in front of his eyes if he weren’t gentle enough, “ If we had been more mature…and older, I wouldn’t allow this to happen, but…” SungMin stopped abruptly, “ but as I spilled out my feelings to you, I made sure that we had each other, even if we part for years.”
 
Sunny nodded understandingly, smiling as though assuring him that no change will tear them apart when he’s gone.
 
“ And when I come back, I’ll be a man who can afford to sweep Lee SunKyu off her feet once again.” 
 
“ …And when you come back, I’ll be a woman who can stand by Lee SungMin with confidence.”
 
The two inched in so close to each other, she could feel his breathing and he could smell her sweet vanilla scent. All they did was stare into each other’s eye, reading each other’s heart through the window of their soul, his puppy eyes into hers and her small, but adorable eyes into his. This was mutual understanding…built through so many years of a tiring love that was considered wrong.
 
SungMin knew he had a flight in a few hours for England. He knew the sun was coming up at the very moment as they stood. He knew that all the misunderstanding between him and Sunny had transformed into understandings.
 
But he still felt like something was missing.
 
SungMin tore away from their love filled gaze and furrowed his brows contemplating.
 
“ What’s wrong? ” Sunny looked over at SungMin with concern.
 
He looked back at her and realized what he had wanted. No matter how much faith he had in her, SungMin knew his possessive instincts as a man was undoubtedly arising inside, as though a beast awakening. 
 
“ SunKyu, I have one more thing I want to do.” He was serious when he called Sunny’s name.
 
“ What is it? ”
 
“ I need your permission.”
 
Confusion was written on Sunny’s face. 
 
“I want to make you mine.” SungMin didn’t know if she’d allow him to.
 
Sunny knew what he meant, but couldn’t answer SungMin easily. She took a deep breath and thought about what it meant thoroughly. He respected that too; he would never try to do anything to her without her consent.
 
“ I wish I could say no…” Sunny began, “ But the thought of you being in a foreign country alone, with your heart in Seoul and even though I‘m still young, almost too young…”
 
She continued to answer as he had requested an answer, “ I understand. Compared to the kind of desire you have as a man, I want to give you everything I can. ”
 
Sunny was small, and she had always been smaller than everyone else, but when it came to courage, she always had more than anyone else. 
 
“ Are you ready…? ” SungMin kissed her forehead affectionately.
 
SunKyu’s body was scared, but her heart was ready, only for SungMin, “ Make me yours. ”
 
When she uttered that sentence, three words, Sunny was grabbed by the wrist and pulled away immediately by SungMin. Her brunette hair flew as he ran down the street with her, throwing all his worrisome thoughts to the back of his mind.
 
What matter to them right now was establishing an even more unbreakable bond between the body and the mind. He wanted to make her his and she knew she wanted to become his too. 
                                                              
Even if she was too young, a bit too young, Sunny didn’t care anymore.
 
Because at the crack of dawn that night, Sunny saw with her own two eyes, the man she could look into the eyes of, see his heart through the window of soul and call her soul mate. 
 
Even if SungMin was on the verge of parting with her, destined for some change and temptations when he finally parts with her, SungMin didn’t care anymore.
 
Because at the crack of dawn on that same night, SungMin confirmed with his raw feelings the to be women that would be his and only his for the rest of his life.
 
They defined soul mates--with words, with raw feelings, with tears, and with fear.