January 1

New Year's Kisses

In my daze, I let the random guy kiss me for a good five seconds before I gather my wits and shove him away. He stumbles back and in the light I can see who it is.

Actually, I'm surprised I recognize him. He must have a lot of guts to spontaneously kiss a stranger who knows who he is and could potentially ruin his life.

"Mir?" I glower at him in disbelief. "What the hell are you doing?"

He's a friend of Seungho's, but not one I know well. We've spoken briefly and I always thought he was a nice guy.

How wrong I was.

As I wait for an answer, I scrub my lips, my still-tingling lips--my lips.

That's right. I've never been kissed. Until now.

The little bastard.

"Uh, well, I, uh, I just, sorry, I--" he stammers awkwardly. I hate stammerers.

Out of the corner of my eye, I catch sight of Seungho and some of his idiot friends doubled over in laughter and the light bulb dings. "Did Seungho put you up to this?" I cut Mir's stammering short.

"Uh--"

"Did. He. Do. This."

Mir gulped and nodded meekly. I seem to intimidate him. That's good.

I nod my understanding. "Fine. I'm letting you go this time bit if you pull a stunt like that again, you're dead."

He nods vigorously. He understands.

I stalk over to Seungho and haul him up by his collar. Then I shove him to his knees. I'm 160 centimeters tall and strong for a girl, stronger than a lot of boys, so this isn't difficult for me. I glare into Seungho's eyes and smirk. "You are so dead. I'm going to make your life a living hell."

Moron doesn't know how serious I am because he's still smiling. "Come on, Saera, we're just having some fun. Besides, he's supposed to be a pretty good kisser." He laughs.

"Having fun? By humiliating me because of your stupid male pride competitions?" I grit out.

"Hey, you told me you weren't saving your first kiss for anyone special."

"But that didn't meant any stranger would do!" I push him away from me and point at him as he gets off the ground and dusts his clothes. "I'm seriously serious. You're gonna regret this."

He just rolls his eyes. "Stop overreacting and live a little."

I wordless flip him off and make my way inside to finally find Rani. As I pass by Mir, who is trying to surreptitiously drown himself in salsa, an idea hits me. I grin evilly and yell over my shoulder, "Hey Seunhgo! Where's your better half?"

"I don't know who you're talking about!" he shouts back.

Without even looking, I know he's blushing. He and my friend Aemi have had a thing going on for years but it's still not official, to everyone's chagrin. They're just so obvious but so dense about their feelings toward each other. Really, they should know by now based on my puking reaction every time I see them together but they never seem to understand its implications. Both still refuse to admit to any romantic feelings between them. I'm just waiting for the wedding. They're practically dating already so it won't surprise me if he ends up proposing the same day he confesses.

"Where's Aemi?" I clarify.

"In the kitchen, I think. Don't bother her!"

"Whatever!" I throw one last glare at Mir, who was watching me and immediately diverts his gaze, before going inside.


© Copyright 2014 by skyblaze208