She is and Will Always Be

You're Not an Exception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*I guess it's kinda fluffy LOL - let's fast-foward 10 years, shall we?*

*Also, there were lots of ideas on what I was going to put in the epilogue and I decided that there was still one unanswered question. So that's what I decided to do it on. I hope you all like it!*

I glanced out from the kitchen, hearing the front door open and close. Well, Yongguk was definitely home early. “Yongguk, your dad wouldn't be happy to know that you’re slacking!” I called out, thinking that he had skipped out on work, now that he's the big boss of the Bang Company. 

“I’m not alone.”

I heard him answer before actually seeing him. He rounded the corner with someone following closely behind. “What do you –“ I couldn’t finish my sentence after taking in the sight before me. “Joonie, what happened?” I gasped and ran over to him.

From top to bottom, the teenager was covered in bruises, cuts, and dirt. His high school uniform also tattered. Joon didn’t make any movements to respond and when I went to touch his face, he moved away.

My hands froze in midair as my brows furrowed.

“He got into a fight at school.” Yongguk ended the suspense and offered me an explanation. “I had to leave the company to go pick him up at the high school.” He sighed and looked on.

“Joonie, why would you get into fight?” Joon knew better than that. He was a good kid, never really causing trouble for me while growing up so this was definitely unexpected.

Joon’s jaw clenched and his voice came out quietly. “I heard some things today.” Things that made him so angry that he had gotten into a fight. Yongguk walked over to the counter and leaned up against it. I didn’t answer and he takes a deep shaky breath. He looked back up at me and his eyes held so much confusion and dejection. “Are you really my mom?”

The question took me by surprise and I opened my mouth to respond – but nothing came out. Yongguk straightened up and found himself speechless too. I looked away as I thought of ways to answer.

The hesitation said more than the lack of words leaving my lips.

Joon subtly panicked. “Why can’t you answer?” It came out as a whisper as he couldn’t believe what was happening. “Kids today told me you weren’t my mom, so say it isn’t true. Tell me that they’re lying.” He couldn’t contain his voice anymore and all I could do was look at him sadly.

I couldn’t continue lying to him. Well, it wouldn’t be fair to him.

I reached out for his hand. “Let’s go sit down.” But as soon as my hand made contact with his skin, he ripped his hand away from me.

“Tell me first.” He demanded.

“Joon, don’t speak to your mom like that.” Yongguk chided him.

Joon looked at me and I saw his eyes grow glossy and I panicked. “Joon - honey, please let’s talk.” This wasn’t the way I wanted him to find out. I have thought up various of ways to tell him and this wasn’t one of the ways I had in mind.

He shook his head at me. “They’re telling the truth… weren’t they?”

Seeing him so disappointed brought tears to my eyes. After a moment, I nodded my head. “...I’m not your real mom.” After twelve years, the truth finally came out and when the confession left my lips, it was as if I could visibly see the breath get knocked out of Joon. “But, I am your mom – Joon!”

In a split second, he spun around and ran towards the door.

“Joon!”

He didn’t stop and the door was slammed behind him. The tears that were b finally fell and I wiped them away. Yongguk didn’t waste a second before pulling me into his comforting arms. “Don’t worry, he won’t be upset forever.”

***

It wasn’t any surprise when Yongguk found Joon at the park. The very park that he grew up playing in. The boy sat on the bench sullenly and wiped away the tears that managed to fall.

Yongguk sighs and walks over to take a seat beside the young adolescent.

“Why are you here?” Joon asked grumpily with his eyes still on the ground.

He leaned back and placed his arm on the back of the bench. “Well since the truth is out, I should also tell you that I’m not your dad.” Yongguk nonchalantly added.

Joon scoffed. “What a surprise.” He sarcastically answered. 

Yongguk nodded. “But, did you view me any differently?” Yongguk has been in his life for ten years, he was the only father figure to him and Joon respected him as such.

Joon turned to meet Yongguk’s eyes. “You can’t even compare this situation to that.” Joon angrily retorted. “How am I supposed to take it? I just found out that my mom is not my real mom.” He was hurt. He was lied to for his entire life and it took other kids to be the reason for the truth to come out.

“So, what are you angry about?” Yongguk asked. “Are you angry because your mom was keeping this fact from you or the fact that she isn’t your real mom?”

Joon couldn’t answer right away. He was just simply angry about everything, about the entire situation.

Seeing that Joon couldn’t provide an answer, Yongguk turned his attention towards the park and breathed out. “You know, when you were younger, you were so crazy about this place. Your mom used to bring you here all the time.” Yongguk was fond of those memories because he witnessed it. “She used to sit here and watch you play with the most foolish smile on her face.” It didn’t matter what Joon was doing, Wonnie loved and adored him.

Joon stayed silent and listened.

“Whenever your mom had free time, she always spent that time with you. She told me how scared she was that she would miss you growing up because she was working all the time.” Yongguk smiled as the memories visited him. “So she would work like a maniac to finish early in order to spend as much time as she could with you.”

“Please.” Joon didn’t want to hear it, it would influe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter