{ 15 }

Strangers With Memories

{ 15 }

 

“So that’s my sister, Kwon Yuri.” Jiyong lamely picked up on the conversation after Yuri left.

 

“Really? You guys didn’t look alike much.” Dara commented as she took a sip from her drink. Whoa, I didn’t expect that! I really thought it was Ji’s girlfriend or something. Somehow, she felt relieved knowing that Yuri was only Jiyong’s sister.

 

“Yeah, we hear that a lot.” He chuckled.

 

“So… why did you ask to meet up today here?” Dara cautiously questioned. “By chance, did you… remember something?”

 

Jiyong’s eyes flicked into her. “No, not really. I picked this place because it was close and there won’t be much of a hassle.”

 

Dara looked at him in disappointment which she tried to hide with a smile. “Oh, okay then.”

 

“Do we… have memories here?” Jiyong asked.

 

“Well, not exactly here in this place, but… our first dat–” Dara choked on her own saliva before continuing. “–date was actually here. Well, we met here, and then we went here and there…”

 

He nodded, looking thoughtful. “Where’s the exact place?”

 

“Oh, I think that café’s not here anymore.” She commented. Just like our past, that café is gone.

 

“What a waste. Where could we start looking for my memory, then?”

 

“Well, our old university’s close by. It’s less than five-minute walk from here. Do you want to go there first?”

 

“Sure, let’s go then.” Jiyong was the first one to stand up and walk towards the exit. Just like the first time they met, she stared at his back as he started to walk away. He turned to look at her and he walked back to where she was standing. “Aren’t you coming?”

 

Dara smiled at the way he acted. He’s still Kwon Jiyong. “I am.”

 

--

 

Since it had been five years since they left the school, Dara figured that nobody would recognize Jiyong and her. They were walking peacefully together with Dara pointing out some places to Jiyong in case he remembers anything.

 

“Dara noona?” A cautious voice called out. Jiyong and Dara turned and saw Kang Daesung, one of Youngbae’s juniors from his department.

 

“Oh, Daesung-ah!” Dara excitedly ran to her, grinning. “You’re still here?!”

 

Daesung cutely rubbed his nape and smiled at Dara. “Noona, have you forgotten that I’m studying med? Even Youngbae hyung graduated later than you guys.”

 

“Ah, right.” Dara nodded.

 

“Ah, noona, you and Jiyong hyung are still together?!” Daesung grinned, leaving no time for neither Dara nor Jiyong to react. “That’s great! I thought that you guys have broken up before, but seeing you again together is great.”

 

Before Dara could explain that they weren’t together, Daesung already bade goodbye. “Mianhae, noona, hyung, but my class is in ten. See you guys again!”

 

Dara only sighed as he looked at Daesung’s retreating back. He’s the second one to misunderstand Jiyong’s relationship with her. Of course, the first one was Yuri, who was Jiyong’s own sister.

 

“Why do you look like that?” Jiyong asked as the two of them continued to wander aimlessly. The two of them were just taking chances, hoping that Jiyong might remember anything while going around the school.

 

“Nothing.” She avoided. “Have you remembered anything?”

 

“A few, I guess.” Jiyong shrugged.

 

“That’s a good sign, then. Ah, before we wrap up today, there’s one last place I want to show you.” Dara remembered. “Since it’s hard to cover the whole school in just a few hours, let’s just go back next time.”

 

“Sure. Where is it?”

 

“Uhm, it’s a bit far from here. A thirty-minute drive, actually.” She bit her lip to stop herself from saying more. The truth was that Dara feels a little uncomfortable. Going around their university just like the old times, she couldn’t help but wonder if something would have changed if Jiyong didn’t have an accident. Will we still be together? Would he finally tell us about himself? Would we have broken up by now?

 

“It’s okay. Let’s go.”

 

--

 

When they arrived at the park, there were only a few people. Well, the place had never been really blockbuster. Jiyong was the one who discovered that place for the two of them, and he said that he loves it there because it was peaceful and quiet, especially at nighttime.

 

Whenever any one of them just want to escape, they’d go to that place just too unwind. There were times when they will bring a variety of finger foods, or read a book together, or just simply have fun. There had been times when the two of them went there to study when prelims or finals are coming up.

 

“I… remember this place.” Jiyong uttered, making Dara look at him.

 

“Really? Great!” Dara chirped happily. “It’s only been a few hours and you have remembered quite a lot already.”

 

“Yeah, this is going faster than I thought.” Jiyong excitedly said as he walked past Dara to familiarize himself even more with the surroundings.

 

Somehow, what he said made Dara feel disappointed. Not that she doesn’t want Jiyong to recover his memories, but then, the faster Jiyong gets back his memories, the faster she’ll also be out of his life. That was the reason why she was torn between feeling happy and sad at the same time.

 

They sat at their favorite bench. Jiyong was still immersed at the surroundings. Dara touched the wooden bench. She felt the familiar characters of the carvings in there.

 

“What are you doing?” Jiyong suddenly asked, startling her.

 

“Oh uhh, nothing.” She said and quickly tried to cover the wood with her back but he beat her into it.

 

“What’s this?” He asked before tracing the carving himself.

 

권 다라, 언제나

사랑해 산토끼!!!

 

(Kwon Dara, Always

I love you, Santokki!!!)

 

After he figured out what it meant, he abruptly took his hand away from it, as if he was badly burnt in fire. He avoided eye contact with Dara, and after a few minutes, he asked if they should go home in which Dara only responded with a nod.

 

Dara’s eyes lingered at the carvings for another minute before following Jiyong to the car.

 

--

 

Jiyong himself couldn’t figure out why he acted like a jerk in front of Dara when they were at the park. Maybe I really am JerKwon, he thought with a dry smile as he took a sip of his favorite liquor.

 

“Sir Jiyong? Aren’t you coming home? Madame Kwon called and asked you to come for dinner.” Jaejoong said, but his question had fallen on deaf ears.

 

Jiyong had remembered that place. He knew that that was the place where he asked Park Dara to be his girlfriend, and after Dara accepted him, he kissed her, and he carved those words.

 

Kiss… He kissed her. He kissed those lips, six years ago on a snowy night. Strangely, he still remembered how sweet those lips tasted like. They were like freshly harvested strawberries. It was the kind which leaves you addicted. Jiyong wasn’t a big fan of strawberries, but somehow he ended up thinking how much he’d give just to taste those again.

 

“Sir Jiyong?” Jaejoong repeated. He saw that Jiyong had a faraway look on his face. Not the kind when they’re facing a possibly dire situation in the company, but… a different look. Just… different.

 

“Do you think I’m a jerk, Jaejoong?” Jiyong blurted out without thinking.

 

“Sir?” Jaejoong was caught off-guard with his sudden question.

 

He dropped the crystal glass on the table and turned to look at his bodyguard-assistant. “No, don’t answer that one. I trust you, hyung, and I don’t want you to lie to me.” He stood up and walked towards the bar’s exit.

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow, hyung.”