1

Where The Sky Meets The Sea {on hold}

A man wearing a black coat unties his scarf from the handle of his luggage and puts it snugly around his neck. He stands for a moment and takes in the beautiful splash of colors staining the sky before him. Countless times wherein they had watched the sunset together. Just admiring the way the sun casted a brilliant glow and made the plain stretch of skies stained with hues of orange, yellow, red and purple. And they would just simply enjoy each other’s presence without complaint.

 

But all of that is in the past now.

 

He takes a last look at his motherland’s skies. As the darkness envelops the sun, he leaves all his memories of him with it. And as the hues of the skies disappear, he finally turns on his heel and takes swift steps towards the automatic doors that will make him forget. He hurriedly goes in before he might possibly change his mind, because he won’t be able to bear it if he did.

 

 

To forget.

 

 

 

To start anew and move on.

 

 

 

 

 

Goodbye.

 

 

 

 

-

 

Another uneventful afternoon. The tall brunette walks inside their favourite café and takes a seat at his usual spot at the corner of the shop. It used to be their usual spot.

 

But now it was just his.

 

The reason why they loved the café even if it was a little too small was because it gave them a sense of comfort. Most coffee shops would be cramped with different kinds of people. Students ‘studying’ while having an iced beverage for effect. Business people who make the café their meeting room with a cup of coffee and some cigarettes. There are also those people who practically live in the shop because they never seem to leave their seats until the security guard kindly asks them to pack up because it’s closing time. But this café is different. The brunette can’t completely explain it but he feels that people come here to truly relax and take a sip of good coffee. Not just to look cool or anything. But most of all, this place is full of memories. Memories of him.

 

Them.

 

The man shakes his head lightly. I should stop. He decides to get his order so he walks up to the counter and the barista instantly recognizes him.

 

“Oh hello, Luhan!” the guy greets.

“Hi.”

“Are you having the usual?” he asks.

“Yup.” He replies.

“Alright, that’s –”

“8 000 won.” Luhan finishes for him. After how many times he’s ordered the same thing, of course he’s memorized how much it is. He takes the money from his pocket and hands it over.

The barista smiles, “Thank you, Sir!”

 

Luhan goes back to his seat and opens his laptop. He isn’t waiting for anyone nor was he meeting someone in the café. He comes here to work. It’s been days since his boss had asked him to conjure something that was at least, decent. Until now, he still hasn’t come up with anything. He’s probably just nervously waiting for the old man to phone him and tell him that he can go find another job.

 

Luhan sighs deeply. He lacked inspiration. He certainly can’t think of anything to write about. Something that could possibly satisfy his boss and make him not lose his only source of income just yet.

 

“Hi, Luhan. Here’s your chocolate fudge brownie, double-shot cappuccino and iced americano. Enjoy!” the barista from a while ago had his thoughts interrupted.

“Oh, thanks.” He nods at the guy. It’s only after he left that Luhan realizes there’s something wrong. He grabs the iced drink and goes back to the counter.

“Hey, I didn’t order the iced americano.” He says.

The guy looks confused as he replies, “But you always do, right? With –”

“No.” he cuts the guy off, a little too forcefully. “Sorry, I forgot to tell you a while ago. Here.” He hands the drink back and goes back to his seat before the barista can ask more questions.

 

He used to.

 

Luhan takes small sips of his coffee as he continues to stare at the blank, white document in front of him.

 

 

If only I could turn back time.

 

 

If only I hadn’t been stupid.

 

 

If only I hadn’t made that choice.

 

 

But I did.

 

 

As he puts down the ceramic, white cup, an idea comes across his head. He starts typing slowly and carefully, with a heavy heart, but with a new found determination to forgive.

 

 

To forgive himself.

 

 

-

 

 

Dingdong

 

 

Dingdong

 

 

Dingdong

 

 

 

“Just a second!”

 

A short boy in his twenties calls out. He stands up from the living room set with a scowl. Who the hell is it this time? He thinks. It’s probably been three times since someone rang the doorbell today. The brown-haired boy thinks that it’s the kid from next door trying to annoy him because when he peeked through the eyehole awhile ago, he caught the back of the little punk running away.

 

Dingdong

 

Dingdong

 

“Dammit. I said, wait for a second, didn’t I?” he exclaims as he runs faster to give the kid a lesson. I swear this kid will get it this time.

 

He pulls open the door, “You little prick, what the hell is –”

“Hey, Kyungsoo.” A man with auburn hair says.

The other man’s eyes widen more if it was even possible, “Oh my god, it’s you!”

“Yes, Kyungsoo, it’s me.” He laughs. Kyungsoo remains in his position, still holding the doorknob with his other hand.

“Now, will you close your mouth and let me in?” This seems to knock the man from his shock and he immediately grabs his friend’s suitcase and drags him in their small apartment.

“Seriously hyung, why do you just suddenly appear without any phone call?” the younger exclaims in annoyance.

“It’s because I don’t want to bother you. I know you’re busy with the bakeshop and all…” the older explains and heads over to sit on the couch. It had been a long and tiring flight for him. All he wants to do is lie on the bed for the rest of the day.

“What are you talking about? Minseok hyung, you should’ve at least called me so I could’ve picked you up, you know?” Kyungsoo insists.

“Nah, it’s alright. I’m already here, so you can stop nagging me already.” The older says.

 

Kyungsoo just sighs at his hyung. Even if they have been friends for how many years now, Minseok still thinks that Kyungsoo is a little boy and that he should take care of him. That’s why it tore the older apart to leave him alone in their apartment but Kyungsoo insisted that it was alright because he had the bakeshop to attend to. And he knew that Minseok needed to get away. He had to.

 

Kyungsoo sits beside the older on the couch, “But seriously, I missed you hyung.” The younger says.

“Me too.” Minseok smiles.

“And I’m really glad you’re back. I hope you’re staying for good.” The other says hopefully.

Minseok pauses for a moment before answering, “I hope so too.”

The younger boy smiles at that and says, “Now how about I make you some cookies? Then we can eat and talk about your trip to America.”

“Sounds good!” Minseok agrees. He watches as Kyungsoo disappears to the kitchen and he lets his head fall back to the soft cushion.

 

The auburn-haired boy looks around their small apartment. It hasn’t changed. Except that maybe it became a little messier since Kyungsoo is busy with the bakeshop. But the framed picture of him and the younger during his graduation still hangs on their cream-colored wall. Minseok was wearing a white long-sleeved polo and slacks, making him look like a father. He still remembers how the younger tried so hard to stop laughing as the photographer took the picture – that being why Kyungsoo’s eyes shone so happily and his huge smile shaped into a big heart. After taking the picture, Minseok told the other that his fly was open and was seen through his silk toga just to get back at the younger. Kyungsoo was horrified and asked to repeat the photo but the photographer didn’t allow him. Minseok smiles widely upon remembering the thought.

 

He stands up to just look around the place because he can’t deny that he missed it. The fridge with their collection of magnets is still intact. He runs his hand on the different magnets he and Kyungsoo have bought before. Usually, people buy magnets as souvenirs from the places they’ve visited but for the two boys, they bought the magnets of the countries they want to travel to in the future. He laughs quietly at their peculiar habit. London, Paris, Hawaii and France were a few of the countries they’ve stuck onto the metal surface. Maybe one day, if they become rich enough, they could travel to the places they dreamt of going to.

 

Minseok goes to sit on one chair of their dining table to wait for Kyungsoo. Maybe he made the right choice to come back. It’s about time that he applied for a job or opened a business. Or maybe he can ask Kyungsoo if he can help at the bakeshop. He hopes it wouldn’t be too bothersome for the younger. Minseok thinks about the endless possibilities waiting for him and he smiles.

 

 

It’s nice to be back, he thinks.  

 

 

“Here’s your freshly-baked oatmeal cookies!” the younger sing-songs and enters the dining room carrying a plate of the pastry.

“Hmmm, those smell really good.” Minseok says, eager to take a piece. Kyungsoo had always been a great cook. In fact, he’s always the one in charge of making meals for the two because ever since Minseok tried cooking them some ramyun before, they ended up with a burnt stove and a suffocating smoke that took an hour to clear out. After that, the older became in charge of keeping the place neat while Kyungsoo started burying his nose in baking cookbooks.

 

Minseok grabs a piece of the heaven-scented goodness and takes a bite.

“I think your baking got better, Kyungsoo.” He tells the boy.

“Nah, you just think it did because you’ve missed my cooking.” The younger says.

Minseok laughs. “You’re right, I probably did. There’s nothing but steak and burgers where I came from.”

“Really? I’d love to eat those if I were you.”

“Trust me, you’d get tired of it sooner than you think. And I probably gained some weight from those processed food!” The older cries.

Kyungsoo looks his hyung up and down and says, “What are you saying? You didn’t even gain any weight, you idiot.”

“Ya! What did you just say?” the older scowls in a joke.

“Kidding.” The brown-haired boy laughs.

“How about you? How have you been while I was away?” Minseok asks in curiosity.

The younger laughs, “Don’t tell me you were worried all the time thinking that I might’ve died alone in here.”

“Maybe… just a bit.” The older admits and laughs as well.

“I was busy taking care of the bakeshop, of course. My pastries were just too good so the demand increased a lot as well.” Kyungsoo bragged.

Minseok rolled his eyes at the other, “Too confident, are we?”

“Well, I can’t say I don’t believe you. So I was gonna ask a favor, if it’s okay…” the older continued.

Kyungsoo leaned forward in curiosity, “What is it, hyung?”

“Well, I was wondering if I could maybe help in your shop…” he started. “But if it’s not, then I’ll just find another job. I wouldn’t want to make your life harder than it already is and –”

“Aigoo, hyung! Stop blabbering and of course you can help. I thought you’d never ask!” the younger smiled, his lips forming into a heart.

Minseok smiled widely at that, “Really? Thanks, Kyung. You’re the best.”

“I already know that. And just in time, we needed someone who can make good coffee. I know you’re perfect for the job.” He winked.

“That’s great, then! Just tell me when to start.” The older says gratefully.

“Yup, I’ll just take care of some stuff then I’ll call you.”

 

The two eat silently for a while after that. Minseok is feeling thrilled that he’s already got something to keep himself busy with. Plus, he’s helping his friend at that. He continues chewing his cookie when he notices Kyungsoo tapping his fingers erratically on the table. The younger only does that when he’s… nervous.

 

Eh? What can be the problem?

 

“Ya, what’s bothering you?” he asks. This startles the younger and his eyes widen.

“Huh?! What are you talking about?” Kyungsoo replies defensively.

Minseok rolls his eyes. “Don’t even try to hide it. Now what is it?”

“It’s uh…”

“It’s what?” the older raises an eyebrow.

Kyungsoo sighs and decided to just say it. “I wasn’t going to tell you originally but the kept bugging me.”

“Who’s the , Kyungsoo?” this got Minseok curious.

“It’s him.” The younger starts.

“Since last month, he’s been contacting me to ask about you.”

 

 

It feels as if a string has been pulled from inside Minseok. He decides to ignore it so he asks instead, “Why? Did you say anything?”

“I don’t know. I told him to stay away or I’ll kick his .” The younger says plainly.

 

Minseok would’ve laughed at the bluntness of his friend but no words leave his mouth. A lot of questions start to run inside his head but he tries to block them.

 

There’s no use in asking.

 

 

I shouldn’t even bother anymore.

 

 

He catches the younger looking at him with concern in his round eyes.

“Hyung, are you okay?” he asks. Minseok nods.

“I’m so sorry for bringing this up when you just arrived. I just thought that I shouldn’t hide it from you.” He explains.

The older smiles softly, “I’m alright, don’t worry. Thank you for telling me.”

Kyungsoo smiles a little unsurely but he doesn’t say anything.

 

Minseok keeps silent after that because he just might say something that he’ll regret.

 

 

He wished that Kyungsoo hadn’t told him in the first place.

 

 

 

 

 

~

hi guys! i'm back with another xiuhan x) what do you think?

and if you haven't seen yet, there's a cover already made by yours truly ;) i know it's not that great but i tried~

 

have a nice day!