Chapter 1

Wish

Wishes. Everyone has one. Some are silly, some deeper. They sit with you, egging you on, even when the world around you has forsaken you. Aeri knows wishes, she has wishes, she sees people with their multitudinous wishes thronging the streets. So she opens "Wish", a corner street café, as an ode to every wish, no matter now insignificant, that anyone has ever had. It sits pretty, decked in pastel shades, with a shooting star logo on the signboard outside the door. It sits empty. Occasionally someone walks in mistakenly, asking for directions, and pauses to buy a muffin or pastry for the go. It's only then that Aeri has anyone bothering to buy her bakes. The rent piles up, the bills get further out of reach and Aeri makes a wish upon the signboard.

"Y-you want to apply?"

"Yes."

"You really... really want to apply?"

"Will there be a problem?"

"N-no! No.... Just.... Hold one moment, I'll get you the papers!"

Aeri runs into the small study, barely avoiding bashing into the door. "Sujin-ah ireonah!!!" She says desperately to the bed, while the mountain of blankets on it remains motionless. " Yaaah!!! Ireonah!!" She hisses, sharply yanking the covers off of her friend.

"Huh— what— fire?? Do I save the cakeeeeee......" Sujin starts awake and drops back to sleep. Aeri screws her eyes shut for a second, before slamming her fist down upon the pillow. Sujin bounces up, looking around wildly before shooting a dark scowl. "What?" She demands, snatching the covers back. Aeri refuses to let her plop into her place.

"We have a problem...."

"Ask it to come back later, after I've had my ten hours."

"I can't! It— he wants a job here...."

"So.... what's the problem...."

"Nobody wants a job here..." Sujin controls the impulse to smack her friend. Violence is not a good way to start the morning.

"Then give him the job," she says between gritted teeth. "And let me go back to my sweet place."

"He's kinda scary...."

"What?"

"He's.... kinda scary..." Sujin stares as Aeri as the latter twiddles her thumb, staring at the floor.

"What kind of scary? Gangster? Thug? Middle school math teacher?"

"His eyes.... so intense.... so scary...." Aeri shivers, piquing Sujin's curiosity. She scrambles out of bed and pulls the door open gingerly, just wide enough to peep through.

"You have got to be joking with me!" She hisses, turning around to glare at Aeri, who joins her. "That man looks like the dictionary opposite of scary!! He's so squishy!" Aeri looks over at the small cafe area outside her room, eyes fixed upon the stranger. He's not very tall, dressed in all black, with a mop of hair that is a flaming red. To most people he might have appeared "squishy" but then she was sure those people hadn't seen the piercing looks he gave her, almost as if looking into her soul. "He's going to leave dummy! Get him the papers!" Sujin grabs the application papers off the table, where they have been lying untouched for weeks. Printing had obviously been a lie.

 

"Your printer seems slow." The look she gets as he lifts his eyes half off the table and stares at her is nothing short of chilling. He resumes filling in the form, ignoring her obvious discomfort. The minutes tick by loudly, as she fidgets with her phone before hesitantly peering over, trying to read his writing upside down.

'Name: Do Kyungsoo

Qualifications in Baking: None

Experience: None....'

She recoils as he lifts his eyes once more to stare at her. You're the boss Aeri! She thinks, you have a right to ask. "I would like to know how exactly you think you can work here if you're not qualified? And if you lack experience Do-ssi, perhaps you should look someplace else?"

And then she realizes that she of course hasn't said any of it out loud so she tries it for real. "Ahem.... umm.... Do-ssi.... Ky-Kyungsoo-ssi..." His head jerks up and she forgets how to speak.

"Yes?" His voice seems insanely intimidating too!

"Umm.... you umm.... forgot your address...."

"Is it important to give that?" The unflinching eyes are now almost boring a hole through her head. She gulps. As soon as this ordeal was over, she was going to throw the application away.

"N-no.... just your phone number is fine I guess...."

"Annyeonghasaeyo!" Sujin emerges from the room, a huge pullover on her pajamas. She beams a smile at Kyungsoo which goes unreturned and then ruffles Aeri's hair. "I don't know why you're bothering with this, just tell him we'll take him already!" Kyungsoo quirks an eyebrow as Aeri's eyes widened to horrifying proportions. She attempts to jerk her head discreetly, failing which ends up looking like she has neck spasms.

"What're you doing?!" Whispers Aeri furiously. Sujin waves her hands nonchalantly.

"Oh come on, let's not pretend in front of your newest pastry chef." Aeri's eyes narrow dangerously. "We're going to lose this place unless we can jazz it up and two heads are better than one!"

"And you are?" Kyungsoo eyes Sujin carefully, leaning back.

"Baek Sujin, best friend, manager, advisor and overall awesome." Aeri facepalms. "And in my superior position, I say you have the job." Kyungsoo looks over at Aeri questioningly, who lets out a strangled gasp as Sujin kicks her under the table.

"Yes, geez fine yes...."

"When can I start?"

"Tod—"

"Tomorrow! From tomorrow," Aeri says, standing up. Kyungsoo rises with her. He gives her a brief nod before walking out the door, leaving behind a faint feeling of fear in her heart.

 

"I did good, didn't I?" Sujin grins at her before walking into the kitchen to heat some milk. Aeri almost tears out her hair.

"Are you crazy!! He has no qualifications!!"

"Neither do you," Sujin points out from behind the counter. Aeri sinks down into a stool in front of it.

"That was the point, to get someone qualified to help me run the place."

"Face it sister, no one qualified is going to set their foot in your disorganized kitchen."

"My kitchen is very organized thank you."

"I can't find the milk."

"Go buy some." Sujin shakes her head, as she watches Aeri mock bashing her head against the wooden countertop. Some change will be good, she thinks.

"How bad can it be?" She says, patting Aeri's head. "You can always fire him." Aeri lifts her head, looking like a lost puppy.

"Famous last words sister, famous last words."

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N— this isn't going to be too long.... bear with the crappy writing, I seem to be unable to form sentences suddenly *face-bulldozer*