Two Lifes

Next Chapter : Beauty and The Beast
losing you
Do you know how painful it is to lose someone you love so much?
Baro stops the car when he finally arrives at his destination; a small house, rather old, in the quiet country side of Korea. He pauses a little to study his surroundings. Small garden but full of plants, the house is traditional and made out of wood. There aren't many other houses in this part. The street is completely made out of soil and near the house stands an old well.

"Not bad." he mumbles.

He glances at the rear-view mirror to see Sooha, still sleeping soundly. Baro swears, it's the most beautiful sight he had ever seen since he first arrived at the human world. Biting his tongue, Baro turns to wake the girl.


She wakes up at the slightest touch.

As soon as Sooha opens her eyes, she has this sharp look in her eyes. "What?" she asks.

"I'm just going to wake you up because we've arrived at the destination." Baro says, half irritated by her attitude.

Sooha hisses before getting out of the car. "Where are we?" she asks, studying her surroundings with a rather scornful look on her face. "Some countryside?"

"Can't tell you that. Work procedure." Baro says, walking to the rear part of the car to take out her luggages.

"What are you doing?" Sooha asks, sounding displeased.

"I'm just taking out your luggage."

He can hear her scoff. "And you think I'd trust you with my belongings? Move, I'll carry them myself, I'm not a baby."

Hearing her words, Baro sighs and gives her the key. "And here you're trusting me with your safety. The world is ironic, don't you think?" he asks, the words left his mouth even before Baro can think to stop them.

Sooha shakes her head, pulling out her huge trolley bag and gives him a sharp glare. "I can protect myself if I want to." she replies stubbornly. Pulling up the handle, Sooha stomps, no, struts in her heels and for a second Baro is amazed by how graceful she can walk despite the mushy soil. He can see dirt and a bit of soil sticking on the edge of her heel and the small, square-shaped track from it.

"I haven't give you the house key yet." he reminds her and the girl turns around.

"Well, then open the damn door! Freaking hell, give me the key." Sooha snaps impatiently.

Somehow, seeing the furious look on her face, especially since she's complaining about something that so petty, it kind of amuses him. Baro shakes his head before pulling out her other trolley bag and locks the car.

"Why are you taking by bag?"

Baro shrugs before pulling out the house key from his pocket. "Work procedure."
 
 





After two hours full or hissing and mocking and complains, the two finally settles down on the living room. Baro sits quietly, hands grasping the mug filled with hot tea. Sooha is sitting in front of him, her fingers wrapping on her mug, she made the tea on her own.

"How's the investigation going?" she asks, breaking the silence.

"We're still gathering clues." Baro answers truthfully.

Sooha scoffs, the girl is clearly displeased by his answer. "Clues, clues, clues. Police these days always takes a very long time to finish a case." she says, placing her tea on the table.

Baro bites his tongue, he nearly says, "Well, it'd be helpful if you at least remember the look of the murderer.' but he knows it's the most insensitive thing he can ever say to a person who's still mourning. Instead, the guy drinks his tea, swallowing back the sharp words that are already hanging on the tip of his tongue.

"You have to catch the culprit." Sooha says, before scoffing and shakes her head. "I'd rather do anything all by myself but I know if I'm the only one searching for the murderer, it'll lead me nowhere."

Baro stares at her from the top of his cup. "What are you proposing?" he asks, more to himself rather than her.

"I need transparency." she says sternly. "Any new clues, new leads, finger prints, suspects, weapons, anything. If you every found any of those which is related to the culprit, you have to let me know."

Baro tilts his head to the side, "And what will you do once we give you that information?"

Sooha shrugs, "I'm not stupid. Of course I'll think about my safety, I won't blindly charge the culprit when turns out he or she is a very strong person who has good connection and can kill me with just a single move of his finger."

'Well, at least she's not that reckless.' Baro thinks, wrapping his fingers on his mug. "I'll tell you everything I know if you promise on your father's grave you won't do something stupid."

A hard glint shines in her eyes. "How dare you-"

"You're not stupid, I know." Baro says, cutting her. "But your tendency to listen only to yourself is going to be the death of you in the future. And I'm saying this because of my own personal experience."

She doesn't give him any reply. Sooha is furious, he knows. Baro isn't even sure why he agreed to her in the first place. He has every reason not to. Maybe it's because she believed in him when she has no reason to. Maybe it's because she's always so sure of him that it makes him sure of her, too.

Maybe.

Sooha sighs. "You don't know what it feels like to be in my shoes, that's why you can say something as stupid as that." she replies. Then, her gaze softens and her fingers grips cup she's holding. So tight that Baro fears it might break.

Wrong, she's wrong.

"Do you have a father, Cha Sunwoo-ssi?" she asks, using his full name and formality that surprises him.

Father. Even in his past life, Baro had never remember how his parents looked like. "I can't even remember my parents." he replies.

Sooha blinks, she doesn't even show the decency to look apologetic. The girl sighs.

"Just... just make sure you find the culprit." she says, her voice hoarse.

Baro nods. Sooha said that he doesn't know what it feels like to be in her shoes, he thinks she's wrong. Well, maybe he doesn't understand that much but each time the word 'pain' appears, the first thing that comes across his mind is the look on Sooha's face when she got a letter saying that her father was sick. How she pleaded for him to let her go to her father and how she promised him she'll return.

And the pain he felt when Sooha didn't return. When she's late and he was sure he was going to die. When the last rose petal was on the edge of whithering.

Baro knows how terrible it feels, how painful it feels to lose someone.

"I promise I'll find the culprit." he says.

In fact, he already found the culprit. He just doesn't know how to catch her.
» author's note

Soooo yeah, the second chapter since forever... and we don't move anywhere. I promise the next chapter will be more entertaining, probably more fluff, idk man.

Anyway, don't forget to subscribe or comment if you're curious about this story.