It Begins

Next Chapter : Beauty and The Beast
it begins
Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.
Gray is the color of the sky, lifeless, covered with clouds and the sun is nowhere to be seen. Maybe its hiding, maybe it doesn't have the will to shine. Maybe the sun is mourning, just like her.

The girl is clad in black. From her jet black hair to her dark heels, everything she wears is black, just like the rest of the crowds.

Slowly, the sky starts to leak. Slowly, droplets of rain starts to fall from the sky. However, before the water can hit her head, a man moves to her side, shielding both of them with a black umbrella.

"Ryeowook." she murmurs, acknowledging the boy beside her.

"Sooha." the latter replies.

No words are exchanged anymore. The two stares at the gaping hole below them, as if inviting them to dive into it. Right next to the mouth of the hole is a black, wooden coffin with white roses arranged neatly on the center of the coffin. The girl grips her black skirt, trying to hold back her tears.

Today, is the funeral of her father. Sooha doesn't even know how to feel. Her whole body is numb and her vision is clouded by tear.


"Sooha?" Ryeowook asks in a softer voice, almost muffled by the voice of the priest.
 
"I'm okay, Wookie." she replies, eyes fixed on the coffin.

She can feel an arm wrapping around her shoulder, Ryeowook's. Sooha sighs, she never really likes it when a person except her father embraces her. But this time, it's different. This time, she can't find the strength to put up an arrogant facade and stand tall. This time, an arm around her shoulder is what she needs, desperately.

Because with her father taken away from her, Jeon Sooha doesn't have anything else in the world.

Before she realizes it, the priest has already finished his preach. Sooha silently watches as the coffin where his father's body lay is gently picked up and placed carefully inside the hole. Ryeowook gives her a reassuring grip because the girl starts to tremble. Every soil that falls into the hole is every tear that falls from her eyes. It feels like an eternity before the hole is finally filled and by that time, her face is wet with tears.
 
 





"So you won't be returning to your house?" Ryeowook asks as the two strolls through the cemetery.

"No." Sooha replies curtly. "I saw the murderer. Well, I didn't see his face but I saw him. The police thinks it'll be unwise for me to stay in my home, since they think the murderer is now aftering me to keep my mouth shut."

"Where are you going to stay?" Ryeowook asks again, making sure that the umbrella covers the both of them because rain starts to fall harder.

"Nowhere." she replies. "How should I know, huh? The police themselves never tell me about my new home."

Ryeowook doesn't give her any reply and Sooha is thankful for it.

The gate of the cemetery is visible now and Sooha can see three cars are lining up, she can see police officers in disguise and with that, she also sees two silhouette of tall womens. Her face turns to a scowl.

"Gold diggers." Sooha spats. "After father's gone, I'm sure those women are now arguing about their share of inheritance. Disgusting."

"Are the police going to protect them, too?"

"Probably, I don't know. The police can kill them right here, right now and I still doesn't care about it."

Again, Ryeowook doesn't reply and the two finally reaches the cemetery gate. Black Audi A4, gues she has to pretend to be rich, now.

The car's driver seat is opened an a male steps out of the car. From the first glance, he may look like your usual driver, but Sooha knows that he's a police officer. The male is quite short.

With a small nod, the officer moves to open the back door for her and Sooha enters the car quietly.

"I guess I won't be seeing you for a while, then." Ryeowook says, hands holding the car door.

"No." Sooha replies. "You won't be hearing from me either."

"So this is goodbye then. For awhile."

"Yeah." Sooha replies. "See you later, Ryeowook."

With a small smile, Ryeowook waves to her and closes the car door. Sooha sighs, wiping her tear with a tissue before taking a deep breath and stares at the driver's seat.

"What's your name?" Sooha asks to the police officer.

The guy turns around, "Cha Sunwoo, miss. But you can call me Baro." he says. "Shall we go now?"

Sooha sighs, looking away in irritation before she nods. The girl silently stares at the disappearing sight of the cemetery. This time, there's no tear in her eyes. Her mind went back to the time when she found her father, stabbed in the chest and begging for help. The girl mentally curses herself for not seeing the murderer's face.

'I'll get you.' she thinks, 'I'll get you and I'll kill you.'





Baro tries to keep his eyes from looking at the reflection of the girl on the rear-view mirror. His heart aches and he tries to force down the flashback that's been bugging his mind.

'We used to be together... at some point in our lives.' he thinks and a somber smile blooms on his face.

Used to be. At some point of their lives.

His thoughts flies back to the past and he feels his heart aching. They were so happy once, so happy. And she was the one who saved him back when he was...

A beast.

Baro shakes his head. Oh, the irony. To see the woman you loved the most sitting behind you and there's no sign of recognition in her eyes. No sign that she knows you, let alone remember your past... their past.

Baro chews the insides of his lips before glancing at the road sign and turns left. The girl is now asleep and it's still a long way to go.

His phone vibrates, then and Baro frowns. He steals a glance at his phone and the name Taehyung stares back at him. Taehyung, what an unfamiliar name. The wolf. He quickly picks up the phone.

"Baro."

"Taehyung."

"She's with you now?" Taehyung asks with his rather incoherent, heavy voice.

"Yeah, asleep. Taehyung, she doesn't recognize me." Baro whispers, balancing the phone in his hand and the steering wheel on the other. For goodness' sake he's a police and he drives while receiving a phone call.

"She's never meant to recognize you. But maybe if you come to her as Beast, she'll remember."

"Taehyung, I swear-"

"Nevertheless." Taehyung says, cutting Baro's protests, "Maleficent is the one who kills her father."

"Thought so." Baro replies softly, "Taehyung, after all these years, I've been looking for her through every lives... why now?"

"Shouldn't you be happy?" Taehyung nonchalantly replies. "Maybe now's the time. I don't know. But Baro, protect her. Of something happened to her...'

"Our chance in returning to our world will disappear. I know. I won't let anything happen to her." Baro replies. "But how..."

"Try to get to know her first." Taehyung says again, "Though I have a feeling you're going to have a hard time for it."

Baro frowns, "Hard time, huh..." he says sarcastically.

He can see Taehyung shrugging from the other end of the line. "Things like this aren't meant to be... easy."

Baro sighs, "Yeah." he replies. "I've seen her, she's not the same Sooha."

"She's still the same." Taehyung says with a warning tone. "Maleficent will do everything to stop you guys, so please. Keep your cool."

Baro scoffs, "Easier said than done."

"Seriously." Taehyung replies on the other side of the phone. "Protect her, okay? Protect her like she had protected you in the past."

Baro sighs, trying to supress the flashback again. "I know. I'll... I'll protect her, Tae."

"Promise me you won't do anything stupid, too." Taehyung nags again from the other side of the phone. "Right now, 'dying to protect the princess' is not an option. Whatever happens, the two of you... everyone must live."

"Or the curse shall never be undone." Baro agrees. "I promise."

With that, Taehyung ends the phone and Baro carelessly throws his phone to the passenger seat. He wonders why he feels afraid. He has spent almost all of his life to find her, to find Sooha and get things straight. But now, after the two of them reunited, he's not that confident anymore.

Baro closes his eyes and he can see a tower, a raging storm and a glass casket containing a withered red rose lay broken on the ground. He sees a beast, big and scary. The beast is lying on the ground, bloody and weak and on top of the beast is a maiden, beautiful and mesmerizing.

A loud honk snaps his eyes open and Baro quickly turns the steering wheel before his car can make contact with the truct in front of her.

"What the heck... watch where you're going." Sooha's sleepy voice shocks him. The sudden movement and the loud sound of the truck's horn wake her up. "You're not trying to kill me too, are you?"

"Of course not." Baro replies, more surprised than offended. "Sorry."

"Stupid." he can hear Sooha softly curses and Baro sighs.

His thought flies back to the maiden in his past and Baro wonders how the kind maiden can turn into a cold woman.
» author's note

First chapter is up. Um... Nothing much left to say, I think. Oh, I LOVE Solo Day's MV, it's perfect >.<