I

Under the bed

Tao kept his eyes opened. Not wanting to sleep or blink anytime soon. He laid awake in his bed, not breathing loudly and not moving. Afraid the things would awake. His eyes shook as he heard the whispers and hushed voiced that came from under his bed. He shut his eyes and tried blocking everything out but it was no use, he could still hear the whispers and hushed voices. It was the sound of hundreds of voices mixed into one, contorted voices moulded into one. It wasn't human. That was one thing Tao was sure about. But he didn't know how to tell his friends about it. They'd laugh at his face and say that monster didn’t exist and that everything was in his head. Soon the contorted voices started chanting his name. Taos heart began hammering against his chest, it was coming out. Tao curled up into a bowl and pulled the sleeves over his hands and pulled the blanket tightly over his shaking body.

 

He heard the shuffles of a body moving against the floor. Holding his breath Tao listened to the sounds around him. The shuffling of feet and the sound of claws scraping against the floor. His heart was beating at such a rate, Tao was afraid that, that thing could hear it. Soon the shuffling stopped and he let himself breathe but then the voices started again and Tao felt a weight at the bottom of his feet. His heart began beating at a fast pace again. His body began shaking. He felt the weight move up against his body, until it stopped mid-way. He felt it's legs trap him. Altogether Tao stopped breathing. He felt the blanket being tugged away from his face. He squeezed his eyes shut tightly as he felt the wind hit his face, then the warm breath of the things as it breathed against his face. The bed creaked and he was sure that the thing had moved. Tao could feel its hair touch his face and hear its breathing. He wanted to scream but was afraid that he wouldn’t be heard and that the moment he screamed the things would grab his mouth. Like many other nights Tao kept still as the thing just watched him sleep. He heard the sound of skin parting and tongue moving. The hushed whispers began again but this time it just chanted his name. Tao felt tears moving down his face as he cried the night to sleep. And like many other nights before this he could feel the weight being lifted off him as soon as the sun would start rising. He could never fully sleep when that thing came out of its place.

 

Tao had his eyes wide open when Kris walked into his room to wake him up. And upon seeing the younger male awake but shaking Kris moved quickly and tried comforting him but all he got was Tao staring at him with non-blinking eyes. Kris opened the curtains and let the light in. He looked back at Tao who laid curled up in his bed with his blankets pulled away from his face and his eyes wide and open. Kris looked saddened at the sight of Tao. The male was clearly shaken up, but instead Kris sighed.

 

"Tao come on wake up." Kris said quietly.

 

He didn't move.

 

"Ta-"

 

"It was here again." Tao said barely above a whisper.

 

Kris shook his head, “Tao it's not real. Your n-"

 

"I know I am no longer a child but it doesn’t leave me!" Tao shouted at Kris.

 

Kris was taken aback at the sudden out burst from the male and now he could clearly see the bags that had formed overtime as well as the blood-shot eyes that showed days of no sleep. Kris was about to begin talking to Tao again until the other elders came in to the room. Luhan and Xuimin knocked onto the door and opened it slowly to reveal themselves. Kris looked at them and shook his head. Luhan and Xuimin nodded and let Kris exit the room. After leaving Luhan walked over to Tao and sat on his bed while Xuimin remained standing up. The two looked at Tao and saw the way he was still shaking and the eyes that showed sleepless nights.

 

"If your here to tell me that I'm crazy don't bother." Tao said to them.

 

"We're not here to tell you that Tao." Luhan said. 

 

"We want you to come out bed. Come on." Xuimin said.

 

Tao looked at the two and saw how they pleaded with their eyes. Letting out a sigh Tao nodded. He got up and walked out of the bedroom. Followed by Luhan and Xuimin. The two closed the door and Tao watched as he saw the eyes glinting from under his bed. Looking away Tao walked downstairs with his hyungs. They made their way to the kitchen. Tao watched as everyone ate and talked normally while he could barely hold down any of the food. He took a bite of the bacon and was disgusted by the crunch it made every time he chewed. Then egg felt slimy to his tongue that it made him think of how the thing must feel like. He forced down as much as he could until Chen told him that he shouldn't force it and leave it. Nodding Tao did as he was told. Lay looked worriedly at Tao. Tao didn't even join in to any of the conversations they held instead just nodded every time they asked him a question.

 

After the breakfast Tao went back into his room. He left the door opened afraid that the thing would begin talking to him. Quickly getting changed Tao ran out of his room and went with the other members. He didn't know where they were going or taking him but he didn't care. He sat in the van and looked towards his window and from afar he could see the shadowy figure waving at him. Tao looked away and fell asleep.

 

He felt the van stop and heard the door sliding open and he felt the sun on his skin. He opened his heavy eyelids and took in the scenery. There was a stretch of trees and woodlands as far as the eye could see and a large building. It looked old but also new. Its windows were the large and majestic old style that many old Victorian houses would have. Its roof had spikes and gargoyles. Tao looked into a window and he was sure he saw the thing there. Shaking his head he went to Kris.

 

"Why are we here?"

 

"Um....not us...but you."

 

"Me wh-"

 

Soon Tao saw the sign bored. Physiological Research. Taos eyes widened. They were sending him to a research facility. He looked at Kris who looked away in shame then at Luhan and Xuimin who looked at him apologetically then at Chen who looked shocked as well and Lay was looking at Tao with sad eyes. He didn’t say anything as they walked him to the gets. He didn’t struggle as two strange people took him away. He didn't do anything because he didn't know what to do. He just looked back at them then looked away. Luhan said he'd only be in there for a couple of hours then they'd let him go. Just before he couldn;t see them anymore Tao shouted out for Lay. He saw the male try to run to him but was held back.

 

The two men in white took him into a room. There was a chair that was used for people to lay on and a chair was next to it. He could tell he was here for a check-up. Tao looked about and see if he could find a way to get out and find that there was none. He looked down and clenched his fists. He couldn't believe they would take him to a place such as this. He couldn't. He knew he was looking trouble and said a monster was under his bed but he didn’t take it as far as like a child who would cry in the middle of the night since he was too afraid to even make a sound. Tao could feel tears rolling down his cheeks. He brought his arm up to wipe them away and as he did this he could hear the sound of a door opening and shutting as well as footsteps that went past him, and the sound of leather when weight was against it.

 

Tao looked up and saw a young man in the chair opposite of the other one. The man motioned for him to sit down in which Tao complied and did what he was told. When he touched the chair and relaxed he could feel his muscles relaxing and un tensing.

 

"Zitao?"

 

"hmmm?"

 

"Do you know why you're here?" he asked.

 

"Because I'm scared."

 

"And?"

 

"Of a monster under my bed."

 

"Do you know why your hyungs brought you here?"

 

"Because they think I'm crazy."

 

"Well I'm here to help."

 

"You can't help me when I'm already so far gone." Tao said with half lidded eyes.

 

"I-I see. Well let’s begin."

 

The questions were like an interrogation. How long has it been going on for? Why did my mind making something up? And why was Tao so afraid? It was those kinds of questions. When Tao was asked why his mind made up these things he answered,"I can't answer this question for my mind did not make it up."

 

Tao was sent out and he met with his hyungs who looked at him worriedly but Tao just ignored them and walked out of the building and waited by the van for them. He felt like maybe he should have just pretend there was nothing under his bed and wished that it was all in his head.

 

The ride back was quiet and awkward. Tao was annoyed that they sent him into such a place and expect him to be thankful about it. Tao walked into the house and fell down against the sofa. The day passed by slowly and soon it was time for sleep. Tao was stood in front of his door just staring at it. The door was closed and just blocked him from entering his room, but to Tao it was the difference between a nightmare and the world. He reached his hand out and held it against the door knob b but quickly released it. He watched as the nod itself started turning. He gulped and again his heart began racing. Tao felt sweat drip down his forehead.

 

He didn't want to enter. That room and just as he was about to walk away from the door and downstairs to camp on the sofa. Lay walked by and tapped Tao on the shoulder. The older male motioned his head towards his room in which Tao smiled at and walked towards Lays room. Lay smiled as he watched the younger falling fast asleep on his bed. Clicking of the lights Lay laid down next to Tao. He heard the gentle breathing of the male. He felt Tao snake his arms around his body and held him close. Lay blsuehd as he felt the males hot breath against his exsposed skin. The two fell asleep in eachothers arms.

 

In the middle of the night Lay heard his door opened and the weight on his bed moving. Then he heard feet being dragged against the carpet and the door closing again. Soon the door opened again and he felt weight on his bed again and the breathing of Taos was there again. Soon he fell asleep again.

 

In the morning Lay woke up to see Tao next to him. Getting up Lay went to the bathroom and as he walked past Taos bedroom he noticed that the door was slightly ajar. Lay walked up to Taos door to open it but as he was about to close it Lay thought he heard sniffing but brushed it off.

 

He did his business and returned to his room to find Tao away. Lay again didn't think much of this and got change and went downstairs to see Tao already downstairs with Chen and Xuimin talking. He saw that Tao no longer had the bags under his eyes. Lay smiled thinking that he must have really needed the sleep. As Lay went and sat with them they heard a banging from upstairs. It was faint but they were able to hear it and as the banging stop Luhan and Kris walked out of their shared room with tussled hair and messy clothes. The four of them looked at the two with knowing eyes; they blushed and scurried away into the kitchen. But soon the banging was heard again, but the group just shut it off not paying attention.

Tao laid in the pitch darkness, doing anything he could to get their attention to his room but he couldn’t do anything. He wanted Lay. He wanted the older who would hold him closer. He wanted him. But he was lost in the darkness.

 

The say went on fine and Tao never spoke of any monster or looked tired. They forgot that there was ever an issue like that,

 

All Tao saw was darkness. He didn’t know if his eyes were open or closed now. He didn't what time of day it was or how long he's been awake or asleep, he didn't know. He could leave his eyes open and think he had them closed and have them closed thinking they were open. He hated the darkness. The eyes played tricks and make you think of things as what they were not but was worst when you can't distinguish the difference between reality and imagination. Toa hated it. He shivered and cried himself to sleep. Soon he heard the door opening and the bed creaking. He felt weight on top of him and the whispers began again. Tao cried quietly in his bed.

 

The routine went on for days with Tao have sleepless nights again but acting like everything was okay the very next day. His hyungs saw nothing wrong and brushed of the idea that Tao was ever scared or paranoid about something. Tao would wake up early in the morning or be seen up before anyone and would always be sitting at the table eating or drinking and sometimes with another member of the household. And every time it was time to sleep he would avoid it but goes to his room. The routine carried on like this for a while and Tao never left the house for a month straight. It was fine. But after the second month his hyung got suspicious. And Tao started showing his fears again of the bed.

 

Tao trudged upstairs to his room. The 5 members watched as the youngest closed his door. Lay watched sadley. His bags were starting to show up again.

 

Lay walked up to Taos door and opened it slightly and left the door open slightly he walked towards Tao's bed and kneeled next to the boy. He pulled the covers over him and as he was about to walk away when Tao caught his arms.

 

"Hyung can you check under my bed?" Tao wimpered.

 

"Tao. Nothings under there okay?"

 

"Please."

 

"Fine"

 

Lay knelt down and as he put his head next to the floor he saw Tao. Shivering and whimpering under his bed. Lay was shocked and stood straight up. He saw Tao again, on his bed. Lay was very confused. Was his mind playing with him?

 

"Hyung?"

 

"...."

 

"Lay-hyung?"

 

"Do you want to sleep in my rom Tao?"

 

Tao nodded and walked towards Lay's room. When the young male was out of sight, Lay knelt down again to check under his bed but saw nothing under there. He shook his head thinking the darkness was playing with his mind. Lay walked towards bout to shut it, he could hear a hushed voice whisper his name, “Lay."

 

It sounded strongly like Taos voice. Shaking of the feeling he thought it must be Tao from his room. Lay closed the door and walked to his room. Lay walked into his room and saw Tao lying on his bed. He tried moving the younger but he wouldn't budge and then he was pulled into the bed and was held in the embrace of Tao. Lay looked at Tao and slowly they moved together. Lay didn't know how it happened but they kissed and was it a deep one, But soon Lay bagean losing sleep.

 

Unlike the others Lays night was restless he twisted and turned in his bed. He could hear voices that whispered his name. He'd open his eyes and see Tao. But also not Tao. The figure of Tao stared back at him. He was skinner and bags were more prominent on his eyes. No longer was it the charming dark circles and his healthy face sunken. He saw Tao mouthing words help me. Many times Lay would wake up to check that Tao was right beside him and see the younger male sleeping soundly.Lay moved his hands around the younger protectivly and held him close. Kisssing him gently on the cheek, which to the touch was very cold and smooth. His restless nights carried on for many days. He kept it too himself not wanting to tell the others.

 

One day Lay was walking out of his room and he walked past Tao's room. As he walked past he saw Tao sitting on the floor his head leaned forward and his arms under the bed. Lay walked back keeping quiet not wanting to let Tao notice. He watched as Tao started talking. But it wasn't his voice the voice was contorted. He watched as Tao pulled something out from the bed. Tao. Like the one in his dream. He was skinner and frail bags and sunken face. His skin looked as if an animal had bitten him and something with claws started slicing at his skin. Lay screamed in horror catching the thing that had Tao in his arms. It turned its face and looked at Lay and smiled. Its teeth had blood and flesh in it. Gums rotten and decayed. Teeth sharp like an animal. Soon the thing that looked like Tao started changing. Its hair grew and it's as well, becoming sharper and looking much more dangerous.

 

Lay had caught the attention of the others who quickly ran towards Lay. They saw the male on his trying to crawl away. They looked into his room and screamed as well. But what they saw was not the un-human thing, but instead the lifeless body of the youngest. They ran into his room and Lay watched as they ran straight through the thing as if it was a ghost.

 

"Lay are you okay?" Xuimin asked.

 

"It killed him."

 

"What?" Kris asked.

 

Chen was next to Lay along with Xuimin, Kris and Luhan had gone to check on the body. Kris picked Tao up and check for his pulse...but got none.

 

"THE THING TAO WAS AFRAID OFF IT KILLED HIM!!" Lay screamed,"TAO DON'T LEAVE ME!

 

He stood up and ran into eh room checking under the bed and checking everywhere in Taos room for. …that thing. The others watched Lay with shock and concern the male was acting like a psycho. Lay was at lost and angry and upset. He had lsot Tao. His little love.

 

"I saw it. It..it looked like Tao- but it was in-hum- You've got to believe me i- I’m not mad." Lay pleaded.”Hyugns,Chen please. I saw it."

 

"Lay I think you need rest." Chen said cautisoudly.

 

Lay attacked Chen who tried holding him down. Soon all of them were chasing Lay who ran around looking for something that was not there. They looked worriedly at him.

 

When they caught the frantic lay they all huddled into the Van leaving Chen and Luhan to look after Tao. Kris drove them to the Physiological Facility. And soon Lay was in a room by himself. The last thing he saw was Kris holding crying Chen while Lay was dragged away. Still screaming Lay still says something killed Tao. He was at the funeral and then he freaked out. Lay saw the contorted Tao standing by the casket with a grin on its face. Lay almost the ground as well but was stopped.

 

Now here he is.

 

Sitting in a white room with e walls and white bed and clothing. He sat on his bed. It was almost time for sleep. Luhan and Kris had just visited. Lay sighed they weren’t letting him out any time soon. He dropped his head onto the pillow and soon drifted off to sleep.

 

But...

 

He was soon woken up with the sound of someone crying. He didn't know why but he moved his body and checked under his bed and there he saw. Tao.

 

Crying and whimpering. He was an unhealthy colour. His skin rotting and he smelled of decaying flesh.

 

"Lay. Help me." Tao whimpered.

 

Lay was frozen in his seat. Tao was dead. He moved and wrapped himself in his blanket. He heard the sound of something moving about under his bed. His hearts pace quickened and then he felt something moving against his body. .Lay could still smell the decaying flesh. Tears were rolling down his cheeks. He could hear Tao speaking but it was a s a hushed whispers and Tao kept chanting his name, and pleading. Lay couldn't sleep. He wouldn't sleep and found anyway to stay awake. Afraid of the Monster Under His Bed.