When Pieces Are Formed Again

When Heart Cracks Turn Into Pieces

Sungmin went through his mails one by one at the kitchen table while having breakfast. It was mostly bills: phone bill, water bill, electric bill, wedding invitation…Sungmin paused. Whose wedding is it? Sungmin’s hands trembled as he opened the scented enveloped. It was Kangin and Taeyeon.

Kangin. They had been in a relationship for 5 years. They broke up 2 years ago. But Sungmin’s heart didn’t allow him to forget about Kangin even if they didn’t have any contact with each other since their break up. Why was he suddenly invited to the wedding?

Taeyeon. She is the girl that Sungmin envied because she was able to make Kangin fall in love with her. Kangin dated a lot of people. Kangin had a long relationship with Sungmin. But not once, did Kangin ever fall in love. Not until he met her.

Should he go to the wedding? Why should he go? He’ll only end up hurt seeing them being happily married to each other. He left the wedding invitation on the table and took the bills with him. He went out of the house and decided to pay the bills today. After paying the bills, he ended up looking at different sets of dishes, bed covers and blankets, picture frames and others things for the home. He wondered why he is shopping for a wedding gift if he wouldn’t go to the wedding.

He ended up with buying window curtains. He took it home and wrapped it beautifully with a wrapper designed for weddings. He wrote neatly on the card:

To: Mr. And Mrs. Kangin Kim
Congratulations on your Wedding!
From: Sungmin Lee

He decided to go to the wedding after all. When he arrived at the church, there was some sort of commotion. “What happened?” He asked someone, probably one of Kangin’s guests for the wedding too.

“Runaway bride.”

“Oh. So I guess there won’t be any wedding happening.”

“Obviously.”

“What happened to the groom?”

“I’m here.” Sungmin and the other person turned their heads to look at Kangin standing right next to them. “Yesung, please leave us for a while.” The other person named Yesung gave one last look at Sungmin before nodding at Kangin and excusing himself. “Sungmin. I didn’t expect for you to come.”

“I didn’t expect myself to come either.” Sungmin said jokingly and smiled.

“You’re still good at pretending to be happy.” Kangin still knew Sungmin very well. “Or perhaps, you’re really feeling happy that the wedding won’t happen at all.” He looked at the people and the commotion inside the church.

Taeyeon’s parents kept on apologizing profusely at Kangin’s parents and to the guests. Some people were busy trying to contact and look for Taeyeon because she might still be somewhere near the church. Kangin’s parents were angry at what is currently happening. The priest simply looked irritated and annoyed that his time was wasted.

“I’m never happy, Kangin.” Ironically, Sungmin said it with a smile. “Not before and not now. So what if the wedding won’t happen? That doesn’t mean you’ll come back to me. It won’t make you love me back.”

“Taeyeon had been cheating on me but I pretended not to notice just like how you’ve been pretending to me in the past.” Then Sungmin noticed how Kangin looked so sad, hurt and tired. “And it hurts. I wondered how you could keep on smiling when you’ve been hurting all this time.”

“Let me take you away from here.” Sungmin took Kangin’s hand and lead him to the car. Kangin didn’t know where Sungmin was taking him but being inside the car made him feel some sort of relief and relaxation. They were now away from the noise, from the commotion, from the church.

They were at the beach. The weather was cold and wasn’t suitable to go swimming which is why they were the only ones at the beach right now. Sungmin was sitting on the sand with Kangin’s brand new leather shoes beside him. Kangin had his pants rolled up to his knees. He was standing near the sea, letting the small waves and water touch his feet.

“Why did you come?” Kangin broke the silence between them. The water was cold on his feet but it helped him feel numb and ease the pain in his heart.

“For the same reason that you invited me.” Sungmin rolled his pants up to his knees and stood beside Kangin. “We might catch a cold this way.” He wrapped his arms around his selves and shivered. He was surprise when he was suddenly enveloped in a warm hug.

“Sungmin, I’m sorry for all of the hurt I’ve caused you. You deserve someone better than me. That’s why you should stop yourself from loving me and move on.”

Sungmin laughed bitterly. “You think I haven’t tried doing that for the last two years that we’ve been apart? I’ve met a lot of people who are a lot better than you but I don’t find myself falling for them as I did for you. Maybe I should just have a heart transplant.” He added jokingly.

It’s been a long time since Kangin had been in Sungmin’s house. He wanted to sleep over at Sungmin’s pace because he didn’t want to get back at his own house where all the problems and commotion are waiting for him. Nothing in Sungmin’s house seem to have changed. Even Sungmin’s attitude remained bubbly and affectionate. He could almost think that they were still in a relationship. He could almost forget about Taeyeon.

Kangin observed Sungmin who was busy cooking dinner for the both of time. Sungmin had a soft smile on his face and his body was dancing a bit to the music from the radio. It looked like as if Sungmin didn’t have any problems and looked like as if Sungmin wasn’t hurting inside. “Sungmin, have you ever cried when we were together?” He found himself asking because not once, had he seen Sungmin cry.

Sungmin stopped dancing and looked thoughtfully at Kangin. “Just once.”

“When was that?”

“You’ve been dating and cheating behind my back and although I felt my heart break every time I see you with someone else, I didn’t mind it so much because I know that you don’t love the person. I kept on thinking that I might still have some chance to be loved back by you. Then Taeyeon came. Even if you tried to deny it to yourself, I could easily see that you loved her. I cried when I realized that I would never be the person you’ll love.”

Kangin only planned to stay at Sungmin’s house for one day but then it turned into a week. He found some of his old clothes that was still kept in one of Sungmin’s cabinets. He was amazed that his clothes still fit him which meant that he didn’t gain any weight at all. Sungmin was mostly out of the house during the day because of work. Kangin took it upon himself to clean the house, do gardening and cook dinner.

“Don’t you think it’s time for you to go back?” Sungmin asked while the show that they were watching was having a commercial break.

“You don’t want me here anymore?”

“I don’t mind that you’re staying here but your parents and friends are probably worried about you. Maybe Taeyeon is even worrying. I’m sure someone told her that you’ve been missing for a week now.”

Kangin snorted. “Like hell she would be worried.” He doesn’t feel the hurt anymore. The only thing he feels for Taeyeon now is anger for all the things she had done to him. It just proves that he didn’t love Taeyeon as deeply as he thought because if he did, he wouldn’t be able to bring himself to get angry just like how Sungmin had never been angry at him.

“Look. If I were the runaway bride, then a week later somebody told me that you’ve been missing. I would be worried a lot!!!” Sungmin exclaimed.

“That’s because you’re you!!! You’ve always been a hell lot more caring than she will ever be. She doesn’t give a damn about me. I had all week to think of the nice things she had ever done to me and it was nothing compared to what you’ve done.” Kangin took Sungmin’s hand in his and squeezed it tightly but not enough to hurt. “I took you for granted, Sungmin. I regretted that a lot. I could have saved both of us from a lot of pain if only I allowed my heart to open up to you.”

“What are you saying?” Sungmin couldn’t believe what he was hearing. He telling himself not to hope, wish and expect too much.

“I’m saying that I….for this past week, I realized how much I’ve missed you, how much I…” For the first time since they met, “…love you….” Kangin finally confessed.

It’s the moment Sungmin had always been hoping and wishing for to happen and now that it was finally happening to him, he simply just couldn’t believe it. “Kangin, that’s not a funny joke.”

“You think I’m joking?” Kangin never looked so serious before. “I’ve realized that the greatest happiness that I felt was to be loved by you. If you don’t love me anymore, then I’ll try to make you love me again.”

For the first time, Kangin finally saw Sungmin’s tears. Sungmin cried so hard that Kangin feared he might be hyperventilating. Kangin rubbed Sungmin’s back comfortingly as Sungmin latched himself on Kangin’s shoulder, wetting Kangin’s shirt with his tears. Kangin was surprised and confused as to why Sungmin was crying. “What did I do to make you cry?”

“I’m crying because I’m happy.” Sungmin sniffed. “I’ve waited for so long for you to love me back.” He felt Kangin kissing his tears away before kissing him completely on the lips. They had a lot of times in the past. But tonight would be the first time that they would make love.

THE END

And here’s some sort of epilogue @_@…

“Should we send a wedding invitation to Taeyeon?” Sungmin asked as he was listing the names of the people that they would invite for the wedding.

“No. I don’t want to see her EVER again.” Kangin replied. He was still quite bitter with the memories that involved Taeyeon. “And I hope you’re not thinking of running away on our wedding.”

Sungmin laughed. “You seem to have gained some wedding trauma.” He only laughed some more when he saw Kangin’s pout. “Don’t worry. I plan to go through with the wedding and honeymoon. If you’re really worried that I might run away, then you can just chain me.” He winked suggestively.

Kangin’s pout turned into a smirk. “I might just do that on the night before our wedding.”

“Don’t be too hard on me on that night. I still want to walk properly on our wedding day.”
 
REAL END ^_^

A/N: It didn’t exactly come out as I’ve wanted but…I think it’s fine this way @_@ I was almost tempted to make it angst again.  Comments please?