Up on the Rooftop

A Miracle on Mulberry St.

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. BEE-

 

Yeon Mi slammed her hand down on the alarm clock that made the awful beeping sound.

Today was Monday and that meant school. She slowly got up and realized that she was still wearing her coat… and Zelo’s scarf.

I’ll give it back to him during class.

 

She got ready in 30 minutes and finally got over the struggle with her curly hair. She was too lazy to go and straighten her hair. She fixed her uniform and grabbed her coat and backpack as she headed straight outside. The scarf? She has it in her bag. She swiftly got into the car and in 10 minutes, she has arrived at her school.

She said goodbye to her mom and headed towards her locker to put her coat away. But as she opened her locker, a piece of paper fell down.

She bent down and read what it said:

 

Yeon Mi ah~, meet me at the rooftop during lunch, ok?

I have something to tell you!

It’s top secret, so don’t tell anyone else, ok?

Choi Zelo

 

After reading the note, she scoffed and placed it into the back pocket of her backpack. Then she put her coat away and walked towards her first period class.

What the heck does this kid want now?

 

So, she waited and waited until the 4th period bell rang.

It was finally time.

She grabbed the scarf out of her backpack and ran up the stairs to the school’s rooftop, but she hesitated when she touched the handle of the door.

Act cool, Yeon Mi ah. Act cool.

She took a deep breath before finally turning the handle of the door.

She was ready to face Zelo. She was ready to give him back the scarf. But she was not ready for this to happen.

As soon as she opened the door, she heard a keyboard playing and people singing Baby Baby by 4MEN. She turned her head and there was the source of the beautifully sung and played music.

 

It was Kim Himchan, Jung Daehyun, and Yoo Youngjae all performing in front of her, with Zelo being in the center of this trio. He was holding flowers in his hands and winked at Yeon Mi, as soon as they made eye contact.

“What in the world…” she quietly whispered.

“Yeon Mi ah.” Zelo started to say.

She focused her attention on him, “D-deh?”

“I’ve known you my whole entire life. From kindergarten to now, we’ve been best friends and down the road, we’ve kept making lots of memories, whether it be good or bad. Since you are my friend, I respect you. Since you are my friend, I trust you. Since you are my friend, I rely on you, but since you are my friend, I cannot say I like you.”

“W-w-waeyo?” Yeon Mi stuttered, taken aback by what’s he saying.

He slowly waltzed on over to Yeon Mi with the flowers, while continuing what he was saying, “Because my feelings for you is just beyond the friendship level.  In fact, it is so strong, that ‘I like you.’ is not enough for me to express how I feel about you. So in order for me to express it even bigger, let’s make a deal.”

He is now standing in front of Yeon Mi. She is just too puzzled to process anything in her mind. The music in the background didn’t help at all, yet it sounded beautiful.

“Yeon Mi ah, I’ll love you for 999 years, 364 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds. You… just have to love me for 1 second.”

He smiled and bent one knee down, raising the flowers higher, “So what do you say?”

She stared at his face for a few seconds and then looked at the flowers before her.

Red Roses.

It means love and passion in the language of flowers.

This kid… jeongmal…

Her hand slowly made its way to the wrapping-covered stems. She stopped a few times and her hands even shook, wondering if this situation is even real.

Her crush, Choi Zelo, had confessed to her.

She was about to wrap her fingers around the flowers when all of a sudden, he threw it behind his back; now out of Yeon Mi’s reach.

“Eh?” Yeon Mi quietly squeaked, her voice cracking in between the middle. What’s happening? Wasn’t he confessing…to me?

She was on the verge of shedding tears. Was everything that happened just a trick? The picture of him in her heart, was slowly starting to recover itself. Why stop it now?

What is this? Is my heart going to break again?

She watched as Zelo took something out of his back pocket;

 

The ring.

 

She saw yesterday.

 

 

How did he…?

 

“Will you, Lee Yeon Mi, take this ring instead and be my girlfriend?” he asked.

Just then she let loose.

The song is at its . Daehyun’s and Youngjae’s voice was full of soul at this point; their voices were resonating in the air; and Himchan’s keyboard played as deep and loud as ever.

Hot orbs of water ran down her cheeks and she just stood there, wiping them away as more kept on going. She cried loudly and cried whole-heartedly.

Her crush was way too good at playing push-and-pull.

Choi Zelo, that little devil. Oh, how could he do this to her.

He gently smiled and stood up to embrace her into his arms.

She just let him do it, because she is too weak to stop him.

She loves him.

She truly does.

 

Yeon Mi started pounding on his chest and started blasting on him, “YAH, CHOI ZELO! WHY, WHY DID YOU HAVE TO TOY WITH MY EMOTIONS LIKE THAT?! Did you know how worried I was when you did that? Did you know how hurt I was when you said you found your girl last night?! HUH? DID YOU KNOW?! How in the world could you have done that..”

With every punch she made, she went weaker and weaker, and cried louder and louder.

But, she hated him for doing that.

But, she hated him for torturing her like that.

She would’ve smacked the guy if she could.

But, no she can’t.

Because she really loves him.

And her hate won’t probably last a while.

 

Zelo took all of her punches, even though they were painful. He patted her head as he hear her pained wailing.

Was I too much?

 

“Shh….” He told his upset friend. He whispered quietly into her ear, “Mianhe, Yeon Mi ah.”

 

She sniffled a bunch of times before she had finally calmed down. Her sleeves were wet from her tears.

“Hey…” he said as he cupped her face into his hands, “This is real. I love you. I’m not playing with you. I really love you.”

Those were the words he said before diving down towards Yeon Mi’s lips.

She wanted to get out of his grip, because she was still angry at him.

But as the kiss lasted longer, her anger subsided and faded away.

She could love him.

She could like him.

But she absolutely cannot hate this guy.

Her hands went around his neck and his arms s around her waist.

Saranghae. Both were thinking.

Their lips parted from each other and they both stared deep into each other’s eyes.

“So, are you my girlfriend now?” Zelo asked, while smiling very brightly.

Yeon Mi pouted, “Yes, but don’t you ever do that again, understand?”

“Arrasseo~” he sang, “Give me your hand.”

She complied and Zelo finally was able to put the ring on her finger.

He raised her hand up to his lips and said this before giving it a light peck, “From now on, you’re mine.”

 

‘AWHHHHHH~~~~”

A mix of female and male voices were heard up above. Yeon Mi looked up to see where this source was coming from and she saw the rest of the gang, eating popcorn on the portal.

“Annyeong~!” all of her girl friends said cheerfully.

“Yo!” Yongguk and Jongup greeted.

Yeon Mi smiled, ‘Annyeong oppas, chingus~.”

Daehyun, Youngjae, and Himchan walked on over to complete the whole crew.

“Yah, Yeon Mi ah,” Daehyun started saying, “Do know of all the trouble I had to go through just~ to get that ring back. That girl was so annoying! I had to go all cheap salesman on her, because she seriously can’t stop asking questions about money. Like-”

Youngjae covered Daehyun’s mouth, though Daehyun was still rambling on about the girl, “Aigoo, you really don’t know how to shut your mouth at the right time.”

Everyone laughed at the bickering friends. The friends congratulated Zelo and Yeon Mi on their new relationship and everybody was happy.

They spent their lunch time up on the roof, since Ki Hyo and Yeon Ra prepared a feast for the happening of this new relationship.

Jin Ae opted out of eating, since she wanted to go to the library, but she said one last thing before she left, “Choi Zelo. This is my final threat towards you. If I see you abuse- whether it be verbal or physical- my precious friend, you will have your heart taken out by me.”

“Yeon Mi ah, I think I’m going to have nightmares now.” Zelo said, shivering because all of the horrible things Jin Ae said she would do to him. Oh, what bloody horror it is.

Yeon Mi comforted him, and soon after, everybody lived happily ever after.


Author's Note: So how did ya guys like it? :D I tried to go all "slight angsty" on this story, but I'm not sure if it's good. :/ The reason for my long hiatus is because of school. I just entered a new school and I have to make all these changes and adaptations in my life. School and club activites made me even busier than ever, so I just stopped writing on AFF. I know about all the 'promises' I made, but OMFG, my luck this year was so horrible.

That's why I have decided to update seasonally. I will mostly update during the Summer and Fall. Spring and Winter are always testing seasons. -.-

I'm sorry if I have disappointed you guys with not updating in so long. I will definitely reflect on myself. XD

So, I hope you guys enjoyed this two shot, and I'll be seeing all of you in a few days!

 

-Hearts & Hugs

-Sweets_N_Kpop

P.S- >.< I apologize if there are any spelling/grammar/punctuation errors.

P.P.S- I WILL DEFINITELY COMPLETE ALL MY OTHER STORIES; ESPECIALLY LOVE'S OBSTACLE. I SWEAR I'M NOT ABANDONING IT. >.< NEVER #Author'sPride