You Are My Breath

You are My Breath


"Breathe, breathe. There you go, there you go," a warm male voice boomed over you. You tried to open your eyes, your nose and throat hurts so much. You coughed and water spurted out of your mouth. "Okay, okay, cough it all out," said that guy patting your back. You burst out crying and you hugged that guy. 

"She's okay," someone said. You tried to look around, no familiar faces.

"Luckily Lay-oppa is here. Only he knows how to do the CPR,"another voice from the crowds.

"Oh my god, Carol! You okay? You almost gave me a heart attack! You didn't tell me you can't swim! What am I to do if you died? I'm so sorry that I pushed you into the pool. Please forgive me," your best friend rushing towards you, dashing through the gathering crowd.
You just cried and cried. You are always scared of the water. And just a few seconds ago, you can't breathe and water is everywhere.

That guy just patted your back and said, "There, there, it's all okay now."

"Carol, I'm so sorry. Let me help you," said your best friend, helping you on your feet. You let go of that guy. Your tears started to dry up, somehow he made you felt...safe.

"Let's go home, okay?" your best friend said, picking up all your bag. You nodded. As you walked towards the exit, you looked back.

That guy was looking at you. He smiled and waved. That dimple.

You still remember that day like it had just happened yesterday. That day when you almost drowned in the kiddy pool, and Lay saved you. Yes, Lay. Since that day he saved you from the pool, you and him grew closer. Since that day his breath entered your lungs, he became a part of you. Or perhaps he became your breath.

You loved everything about him. The way he smiled at your silly jokes, the way his dimple flashed when he smiled, the day when you and him cycled in the spring field, that day when he kissed you under the old, fading oak tree in autumn, the way he held your hands, that day he kissed you goodnight, the way he never forgets your birthday, that day he proposed to you, that day when he was your everything.

Was.

You let out a heavy sigh. You swept the dried leaves away from Lay's resting place. "I missed you. I missed you so much. How am I supposed to breathe when you are not here, how am I supposed to breathe when you are my breath," your tears began to well up in your eyes. Your hands touched the letters carved on the stone in front of you.

"Beloved son and husband,

May God have mercy on him."