001

Phantasm

One; { new owners }
     
listen.

 

It was a regular day at the opera house. They were going to be putting on a production of Hannibal, a complex show that had been written for their opera house specifically. It was a dress rehearsal, with their performance coming up in only a week.

Baekhyun, the star of the opera house, was warming his voice up, high notes blaring throughout the stage and audience area. The orchestra was sorting their music, the conductor, a male by the name of Yixing, speaking to Baekhyun calmly.

Their new owners were here, too. Two men who were originally in the scrap metal business, turned to opera for their love of it. They were older gentleman, though not by any means elderly, simply in their thirties. Their names were Leeteuk and Siwon, and held themselves as gentleman did. They were being given a tour of the opera by the now former owner, Kangin.

"So as you can see, we keep our opera house in the best shape possible," Kangin was saying to the other two. "Information on wages for the dancers and singers are on file in your office. Now, really, I must go," he insisted, suitcase already clutched tightly in his hands. His eyes flitted upwards, occasionally, as if searching for something in the shadows that may or may not be there.

"Why is it you're leaving again?" Siwon asked politely.

"Retirement," Kangin said, rushed. "For my health. I intend to stay in England for a while. Or perhaps Wales or something like that. I've heard the air there is...good for the health. If you need anything, Madame can help." His brows furrowed for a moment before he turned to the warming up performers. "Goodbye, everyone."

A few bid him goodbye, and just like that, Kangin rushed away before they could ask anything. Leeteuk and Siwon looked to each other, stunned.

Baekhyun, who noticed the two males immediately, gave a usual charming smile. "Monsieurs. Bounjour, bounjour." He bowed, offering his hands. The new owners took his hands, kissing his expensive rings.

"Ah, so this is the star," Siwon mused. "May we hear a sneak peek of your upcoming performance?"

"Of course." Another charming smile before Baekhyun turned to Yixing. "Maintenat! Hurry! I need music, music! Musique!"

Yixing sighed but raised his hands, and a gentle sound began. Baekhyun stood center stage, and began to sing. He had a very unique voice, which was probably why he was so popular, beside his dramatic aura.

"Monsieurs," said a woman as she came up to the owners, the males recognizing her as the woman Kangin had referred to as "Madame".

"Yes, Madame?" Leeteuk said quietly, politely.

"The Phantom would like to welcome you to his opera house," she said, French accent overlying her words as she handed them a letter. "He would like to remind you to keep box five empty for his use, and that his monthly pay is due."

"Monthly pay?" Siwon repeated, confused.

"Yes. Monsier Kangin usually pays him forty thousand Francs a month."

"Fourty thousand Francs?!" Leeteuk demanded with wide eyes. "I've heard of this Phantom, but I had no idea you all took him this seriously!" He huffed, indignant as he and Siwon scanned over the letter, signed simply with a wax seal of a cursive P.

Suddenly though, Baekhyun stopped singing. He had messed up a part. "No! No, no, no, no!" He changed out, looking furious.

"I cannot! I cannot sing this!" he cried out with a huff.

"Perhaps you're not in character?" Siwon suggested gently, distracted for the moment. "I understand there's a beautiful suit in this scene."

"Yes, yes, but no!" Baekhyun snapped. "I do not have my costume, because, someone did not finish it!" He looked an odd mix of livid and distressed. Jongdae, Baekhyun's husband, came up to him to rub his arm comfortingly.

"No!" Baekhyun snapped after a few moments of being comforted. He pushed Jongdae away and smiled, taking a breath. "I'd like to try again."

Yixing nodded and started the orchestra and they started the song again, unaware of the shadow moving through the catwalk, looking for a very specific rope.

Just as Baekhyun reached his high note, there was a sharp snapping sound, and a painted prop came flying down, knocking down Baekhyun in the process. He cried out, and immediately, everyone rushed to his aid.

"It's the Phantom!" One of the dancers, Joonmyun gasped. Murmurs of agreement followed.

"God in heaven you're all obsessed!" Leetuek lamented.

"Are you alright?" Siwon asked in concern.

"NO!" Baekhyun roared. "No! I am done! I cannot!" He stood up, brushing off his red pants, his face matching its color. "Idioti!" he ranted, switching to his native Italian. "Finito! Where's my doggy? Bring my doggy!" Baekhyun snatched his little toy poodle from a maid and grabbed Jongdae's hand, dragging him out with his chin held high.

There was a moment of stunned silence.

"We cannot do the show without him!" Yixing stressed after being through with the silence.

"No, no! We'll have to refund a full house!" Leeteuk said, shaking his head in refusal. "We cannot simply do that! It would ruin us!"

"Surely there must be an understudy!" Siwon cried out.

"There is no understudy for Baekhyun!" Yixing snapped back at him.

The two managers argued with each other, Leeteuk even tugging at his hair before Madame spoke up. "Kyungsoo can do it, monsieur."

Everyone froze. They all looked towards the dancer who had been stretching with Joonmyun, expectant.

"A chorus boy?" Siwon said, dubious.

"He's been taking lessons from a great teacher," Madame assured. "I assure you he's perfectly capable."

"Well?" Leeteuk said. "Come on, boy. We haven't got all day."

"Go on," Joonmyun encouraged gently, nudging Kyungsoo forward.

The dancer and chorus boy blinked as he moved to center stage, clearing his throat. "From the beginning of the aria, then," Yixing informed him before turning to the orchestra.

Kyungsoo let out a breath and nodded, looking forward.

"Come on. A chorus boy?!" Siwon hissed.

"Well he's handsome. Give him a chance," the other male replied, patting his companion's arm.

They bickered for a few moments more, but were both cut off when Kyungsoo began to sing. He had a smooth voice like honey and coffee, and he was absolutely captivating. Siwon and Leeteuk were captivated.

And just like that, Kyungsoo replaced Baekhyun. Though unknown to everyone else in the theater, a shadow lurked in box number five. A smile curled over his lips. He was pleased.