C001- Tree House

Only Look At Me

It was Autumn of 2009. Jaehee is reading a book in the treehouse in the woods near their home. The treehouse was built by their hands, of course with the help of their fathers. She was waiting for Minho to come. Today is a special day for both of them. 8th of October. Their friendship anniversary. Jaehee looks at the present she is going to give him. Jaehee was in deep thought when she felt someone cover her eyes.


"Yah! Minho Oppa!" she giggled.


Minho removed his hand and sat beside Jaehee. "You always guess right." he sighed.


"You always do that." She said sticking her tongue out.
And they both laughed.


"Here." He hands her a rectangular box. she opens it and it revealed a chocolate brown notebook and at the bottom, embedded in gold were here name, Park Jaehee. And beside the notebook was a pen. Not just an ordinary pen, but a fountain pen.


Jaehee's eyes delighted. It was her dream gift since she really loves to write. She looked at Minho and hugged him tight. "Thank you, Oppa. This is the best gift." she whispered in his ear as a drop of tear fell from her eyes. She is about to open the notebook to see if there is something else inside but he stopped her. "Read it when you get home. It'll be awkward if you'll read my message right now." he laughed.


"Arraseo." she agreed.


"Where's mine?" he demanded.


"Mwo? Do I have to?" she answered


"Of course."


"Turn around first."


He turned around so that his back was facing hers. Little did she know that when he turned around, his smile faded and he clenched his fists. he wanted to cry already but he must not. It's their anniv and it will be ruined if he would cry. He wants this day to be happy. would it turn out to be?


"Oppa." She called him and he turned to look at her. and CLICK!


"Yah!" his eyes widened, surprised of what had just happened. "Who told you to take a photo of me?" he argued.


"Me. mehrong!"


"Aish! You'll be sorry if I caught you!" he said playfully.


"Andwae! Andwae Andwae!" she laughed. he ruffled her hair as she hands him the Camera. "For You."


Minho was shocked at first and hesitated to get it from her. "For me? You're joking."


"Aniyo. It's really for you. I know you like photography a lot."


So he got it from her gasp and took a stolen shot of Jaehee.


"Yah!" the girl complained.


"You did it first." Minho stuck his tongue out.


"Okay. I call it truce." her arms crossed and she blew her bangs,


"Gomawo, Jaehee. You're the best ever."


"I know." she smiled confidently.


He sat at the edge of the veranda of their tree house and she sat beside him.


"Jaehee, let's take a photo together." Jaehee moved closer and looked at the camera.
"Ready? hana... deul..." he began counting. CLICK!


They both took more photos together, solo shots, stolen shots, nature, and anything that impressed Minho.
"It's time for the cake!" Jaehee excitedly shouted.


They lit up the candle and both made a wish and blew it together. It's their tradition anyway. just the two of them. Being playful, Minho slid a finger on the cake's icing and wiped it on innocent Jaehee's face. Minho laughed his head out, not noticing Jaehee taking a handful of icing in her hands and also wiped it on Minho's face. soon he was covered with it.


And soon began an icing war between the two. It was one of the happiest moments of their lives. a day full of pranks and laughters and surprises.


Soon Jaehee noticed a light dashed from the sky. And followed by another and another and another.
"Oppa, look! A meteor shower." she called


Minho went out and they both watched the meteors that fall from the sky.
Jaehee beams a smile. She loves the sky especially at night. Minho just looks at her. he didn't want to say it but he must.


"Jaehee." he began. She looked at him and wondered what he is about to say.


"Wae?"


"You know I'll be going to Seoul one day, right?"
She nodded.


"We'll be leaving tomorrow." he said sadly.


"Too soon?" she asked, tears welling up in her eyes. "But Oppa..."


"Don't worry. You'll be the first to know when I'll be back."
"But..."


"Don't be a cry baby. We maybe at different places but we are under the same sky. The sky you look upon at night, will be the same sky that I'll look up to. So don't be sad anymore, ok? You'll always be with me, Jaehee. Always remember that."


Jaehee nodded and hugged him tightly.


"It's getting late. we need to go home now." he suggested.


Jaehee was quiet all the walk home. Her gift was on her chest. Minho's arm was on her shoulder.


Soon, Jaehee looked at him. "I'll miss you, oppa."
"I'll miss you too baby Jaehee." he ruffled her hair.
"Yah! I'm not a baby!" she smiled.
"See. You're already smiling." he pinched her cheeks. "Meet me tomorrow at 6 am, okay. I want you to be the last face i see before I leave."
"OK."


Soon they reached Jaehee's home. her Mom is waiting for them there. Minho told her mom that he is going to leave tomorrow morning to Seoul. Jaehee's mom gave him her blessing. and with that, he walked home.
---
Morning came. Time for him to leave. He looked at his watch and it's almost 7am.
"Minho, if you don't hurry, we'll be late for the flight." his mom called him.
"Can we wait another 5 minutes Mom? Please."
"Fine. But if she didn't show up, we'll leave 7 sharp."


Minho waited for her until it was only two minutes before 7. He was about to enter the car but he heard her voice. "Minho Oppa!" Minho looked back and there she was, panting so hard.


"Mianhae. I woke up late." she apologized


"At least you're here."


"Ne." she faked a smile.


"Take good care of yourself, okay? When I'll come back I don't want you to be that skinny." he laughed.


"Yah! You're leaving and you're still teasing me. hmp!"


"Aish! Such a kid. I'll miss your cuteness."


"I'll miss you too oppa. Take good care of yourself. I won't be there to sneak you food."


"I know. Be good, okay."
She nodded.


"I'll be leaving now." he said then he hugged her.


Jaehee removed the earring in her left ear and gave it to Minho.


"Oppa. I know I don't have any send off gift for you. but I'll give you the pair of my favorite earring. the one we bought months ago. i want you to have the other pair. please take good care of it, ok?" tears started to form in her eyes now.


"Ok, I will. Remember to look up when you miss me. I'll be looking up too when I miss you."
"Ne. I will. Promise you won't forget me." with that, she held out her pinky finger and he held out his, binding it together, sealing their promise.


Minho took a picture of them together before leaving. That last picture, speaks a thousand words.
"I'll be going now. Bye Jaehee."


"Bye Oppa. Till we meet again."


They hugged and Minho got in the car. Jaehee watched him got in and started waving when the car moved. Minho stuck his head out of the window and waved goodbye to Jaehee until he doesn't see her shadow anymore.


'Park Jaehee. Wait for me, arasseo?.'