THE AGREEMENT

The Pretender

3: THE AGREEMENT


After Eunhyuk had left, Donghae stepped from behind the counter and got to work cleaning up the rest of the store for closing.

There was not much for him to do, but he still carefully checked every display and stand to make sure that Junghoon has nothing to complain about the next day.

He started at the front of the store and worked his way toward the back.

When he got to the back of the store, he looked at the display on the register screen and realized that he has yet to fully process the payment for the shirt he let Eunhyuk take.

He shoved his glasses back up the bridge of his nose. The entire time he talked with Eunhyuk, he had let the frames rest at the end of his nose. He found it easier to leave them there since they always fell to that same spot, anyway.

Donghae his teeth in frustration when he saw the price again. The t-shirt was almost fifty dollars, which in Donghae’s case, was no small amount of money.

He checked his wallet to find he had just enough for the shirt, leaving him with thirteen dollars for himself until his next paycheck the following Wednesday.

I can’t believe I let him walk out with the stupid shirt. He’s lucky I like him, he thought to himself as he processed the payment and made sure to pocket the receipt.

The plan was to use it as leverage against Eunhyuk if he planned to back out of their arrangement.

Donghae cringed a little at the thought of the proposal.

He never actually thought Eunhyuk would agree nor did he think he could ever come up with such a ludicrous idea. He found it odd at how quickly the idea sprang up.

He blamed the idea on all the anime’s he’d been watching lately and the damn manwhas that his younger cousins gushed about all the time.

Donghae felt slightly guilty about what the whole thing meant for Eunhyuk, especially since it would most definitely affect how his friends and other people at school would interact with him, but then Donghae grinned.

It had been clear to him that Eunhyuk was not happy with his situation, and he hadn't been for quite some time.

Again, Donghae cringed.

This time it was because of how stalker-like the observation sounded.

That was what happened when you watched someone for so long.

He imagined the face Kyuhyun would make if he had heard half of the things Donghae thought about and he shook his head to get rid of the humiliating image.

However, it didn't take away from the fact that Eunhyuk was disenchanted.

Donghae had been watching him for years. He could pinpoint when he started to notice a change in the other boy.

Then last month, he had caught him on a date with a guy Donghae was sure graduated from their high school the year before.

That was when he began to piece together why Eunhyuk started acting differently around his friends.

Catching Eunhyuk kissing the other boy had been thrilling for Donghae because it had given him a sense of hope that his crush could actually lead to an actual relationship, even though he and Eunhyuk never spoke.

After that night, Donghae’s imagination had run rampant for almost an entire month.

He had just let his fantasies run wild in his head while he was at home.

Tonight, he reasoned, he took advantage of his situation to make his fantasies or at least some parts of his fantasies, a reality.

Anyone in my position would have done the same thing if it were their crush, Donghae debated with himself as he printed out a summary of the day’s sales to give his manager.

I don’t have to feel guilty. I’m not the one who stole the shirt. I’m actually keeping him out of trouble. He should be grateful.

“What are you thinking so hard about?” Junghoon interrupted Donghae’s thoughts.

It startled him for a few seconds. He even clutched his chest over his school blazer.

“Damn! You scared me.”

“You looked like you were trying to solve a Rubix cube with your mind."

Donghae laughed. He knew he had the habit of looking out into space when he was thinking hard. He often looked distressed when he was thinking.

“I was just thinking about something I need to clear up before Monday,” Donghae answered honestly enough.

Junghoon didn’t need to know that what Donghae needed to clear up were the terms of his fake relationship with Eunhyuk.

“Well, don’t think so hard. It makes you look constipated.”

Donghae’s jaw dropped in annoyance at the comment.

The store manager was always saying things like that; he had no filter, but he made up for it by being protective of his staff when headquarters came by.

“Will do, Hoon.”

“Have you finished up?” Junghoon asked as he looked around the store. He nodded in approval when he noticed that the mop and broom were out of place.

“You mopped?”

Donghae shrugged his shoulders.

“Yeah. The floor was dirty by the door.”

“Damn snow,” the store manager commented offhandedly. “It just keeps coming down, lately.”

Donghae nodded in a manner to say he agreed. He did it mostly out of obligation because he didn't want to talk nor did he have anything to add to the conversation.

“Alright then. You can go, Hae. I’ll actually lock up.”

“Cool. Thanks.”

Donghae didn't even wait for Junghoon’s response before he went flying toward the staff room to grab his coat and backpack.

He slipped both on quickly and ran toward the exit.

“See you tomorrow.”

Junghoon waved toward Donghae as he exited the store.

Donghae breathed in the cool January air and tightened the scarf around his neck tighter as he walked toward the bus stop.

He walked down the busy street of shops and cafes he passed almost every day. He waved at some of the employees in the cafes that he'd seen during his breaks.

When he walked by the PC bang, he peered in and found Eunhyuk sitting with his friends. One of the other guys was wearing the t-shirt.

Donghae scoffed out loud even though he was not surprised by the scene.

However, the scene also made him realize that he hadn't noticed Eunhyuk’s strange behavior in the store sooner.

He should have realized something was up when Eunhyuk only entered wearing his school uniform and backpack—no coat, scarf or even gloves.

That should have been a huge clue that something was up.

I got distracted by his face. His beautiful, chiseled face.

Donghae sighed as he continued walking to the bus stop. He had five minutes to kill before it was scheduled to arrive.

He decided to text Eunhyuk to see when he would be available to talk about their arrangement.

I need a better way to phrase that, he thought to himself.

When will you be free to talk?

Donghae took a seat at the bus stop and sat up quickly because the coldness of the metal seat seeped right through his slacks.

He reasoned he would just stand up instead.

Eunhyuk didn't answer until the bus arrived.

Don’t text me when I’m with my friends.

Donghae scowled as he looked down at the text. He decided to be petty. He pulled the receipt out of his back pocket and snapped a picture of it.

He sent the picture to Eunhyuk with a message.

Don’t forget. I know the real story.

I’m sure Sungmin wouldn’t think the shirt he’s wearing was so cool if he knew you didn’t actually steal it.

Eunhyuk responded immediately.

You’re a .

Donghae laughed loudly, catching the attention of the few passengers on the bus. He smiled apologetically for disturbing their peace.

You haven’t answered my question.

I’ll be home by midnight.

Donghae looked at the time on his phone and noted that there were less than two hours until then. It gave him more than enough time to write up some things to talk about with the other boy.

Okay. Make sure you’re online then. We have a lot to talk about.

Eunhyuk didn't answer for a few minutes. Donghae was positive it was because his friends were probably wondering who he was texting. He wondered what lie Eunhyuk was telling to distract his friends.

Don’t remind me. But I’ll be on.

Donghae didn't reply because there was no point in answering.

He slipped the phone back in his pocket and pulled out a book.

He still had twenty more minutes until his stop.


Donghae’s mother greeted him with a loving smile when he entered his house.

“Did you eat, my love?” she asked while peeking out of the kitchen.

“Only at school. I did eat some yogurt during my break at work.”

Donghae crashed into a seat in the kitchen and smiled at his mother.

She meant the world to him even more so now that his father had passed away.

When he was supposed to be strong and help support her, she and his older brother were the ones who helped him get better after his father’s death.

“Do you want me to make some ramen for you?”

“Could you?” he asked meekly. It always worked on his mother.

“Of course,” she charismatically chimed. “Anything for my youngest boy.”

Donghae smiled brightly as he stood up to give his mother a hug and a kiss on her cheek. She quickly shoved him away.

“I love you, sweetie, but please go take a shower.”

Donghae feigned that he was hurt that she pushed him away. His mother sent him an air kiss as he walked toward the bathroom.

He dropped his bag and coat off in his bedroom and headed to shower.

He spent the entirety of the shower with his head under the warm water and thinking about what to write to Eunhyuk.

He contemplated just searching for a contract online and rewording it for whatever his own stipulations were.

Donghae even thought about calling the whole thing off, but his pride wouldn't let him nor would his own selfish desires.

He had Eunhyuk in the palm of his hand and he could actually have Eunhyuk in the palm of his hand starting Monday.

That thought alone kept him from telling Eunhyuk to forget about the whole thing.

When he stepped out of the shower, his mother came up the stairs carrying a small pot of ramen just for him.

“Thanks, Mom.”

“Of course, sweetie. When you’re done with it, make sure you wash it.”

“Yes, ma,” he obediently replied.

“I mean it, Lee Donghae,” she warned him.

“I better not find it in the sink when I wake up tomorrow morning.”

“I know, ma. I’ll wash it.”

“Good. I’m going to bed. Your brother is off on some trip with friends but should be back by tomorrow night.”

Donghae nodded.

“Alright. Goodnight ma.”

“Goodnight sweetie.”

She kissed him on the forehead and walked out of his bedroom, but not before she told him:

“Don’t spend all night on your computer and push your glasses up.”

Yes ma!” Donghae had shouted out into the hallway before he shut his door.

He left his glasses as they were and immediately began to eat the scalding hot ramen, not caring that, after a few bites he couldn't really taste it on his tongue anymore.

He was unaware of how hungry he had been. He didn't even care when some of the broth spilled down on the old shirt and sweatpants he was wearing.

Once he finished eating, he went on some of the sites he usually checked every day. After he had done that, he decided to begin writing an email to Eunhyuk after searching the basic formatting of a contract.

Halfway through writing it, he broke out in laughter. It was mostly out of how ridiculous the whole thing sounded, but also because he knew Eunhyuk’s reaction would be priceless.

It takes him forty minutes to write and send the email.   

 

To: [email protected]

From: [email protected]

SUBJECT: A Thief's Contract

  We can talk about this once you read it. Read the below carefully. – Donghae


THIS AGREEMENT made as of the 17th of January 2014

Between:

FIRST PARTY: Lee Donghae, a teenage boy who follows the laws of society

(hereinafter referred to as "the Employer")

-- and --

SECOND PARTY: Lee Hyukjae a/k/a EUNHYUK, classmate to First Party and petty thief

(hereinafter referred to as "the Employee")

WHEREAS the Employee and the Employer wish to enter into an employment agreement governing the terms and conditions of employment;

THIS AGREEMENT WITNESSETH the fact that the SECOND PARTY attempted to steal a hideous t-shirt from the premises of the FIRST PARTY’S place of employment and was caught by said party, a verbal agreement was agreed upon and hereby acknowledged by both parties.

1. Term of Employment (HOW LONG WE AGREED UPON)

The employment of the Employee shall commence the date of 20th day of January 2014 and continue until terminated in accordance with the provisions of verbal agreement.

2. Probation (IF YOU ME DON'T LISTEN TO ME, YOU WILL REGRET IT)

The parties hereto agree that the initial one (1) week period of this agreement is "probationary" in the following respects:

  1. The Employee obliges by all terms listed in Duties and Responsibilities to be later amended as The Employer sees fit.
  2. The Employee does as The Employer asks or risk further humiliation by reveal of the receipt of the aforementioned hideous t-shirt.

3. Compensation and Benefits (WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU)

In consideration of the services to be provided by the Employee, during the term of his employment, the Employee shall be rewarded with:

  1. Getting to live his life in the way he wants and desires.
  2. Getting rid of false and flakey friends.
  3. Not getting in trouble for stealing the aforementioned hideous t-shirt.

4. Duties and Responsibilities (WHAT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO & WHAT’S IN IT FOR ME)

The Employee shall be employed in the capacity of:

  1. Making it believable that The Employee and The Employer are engaging in an actual relationship. This will include the following (SUBJECT TO CHANGES AND ADDITIONS):
    1. The Employee will acknowledge the status of relationship when asked
    2. The Employee will sit with The Employer in class and lunch.
    3. The Employee will hold The Employer’s hand at school and public locations (These locations can be discussed).
    4. The Employee will hang out with The Employer at school and public locations (These locations can be discussed).
    5. The Employee to visit Employer when at his place of employment a/k/a the scene of the crime.
    6. The Employee to visit Employer’s mother and older brother after the first month (Mostly so she’ll stop nagging Employer about acting like an old man).
    7. The Employee to engage in occasional kisses (Cheek, Lips) with The Employer

5. Termination of Employment (YOUR FREEDOM)

Subsequent to completion of the probationary term of employment and graduation, The Employee’s role will be terminated on the 24th day of June 2014.

The Employee can terminate his employment at any time providing that the Employer will then reveal to everyone what was really going on.

6. Confidentiality

You don’t tell anyone.

I won’t tell anyone.

It’s really simple.

 

Fifteen minutes later, Eunhyuk instant messaged Donghae.    

hyuk0404: WHAT. THE. ACTUAL. !

Donghae laughed as he prepared his reply.