Case 02

The Private Eye Lee

Almost two weeks went by and I still didn´t manage to take a revenge on Donghae. When I see that fish-like face of his, I always tend to forget that he´s in reality a pretty sharp detective. And so all my plans to make him embarrassed failed and most of the time even turned against me. Donghae on the other hand was pretty amused by my weak attempts which send my bad mood into a downfall.

I was sitting in my office with a pen in one hand, the second hand tugging on my blonde hair. Yeah, I´m a blonde now. Somehow I liked the colour of the wig I had to wear the last time and I immediately visited my hairdresser to bleach my hair. I ignored all Donghae´s remarks about my intelligence because even Siwon said that it looked good on me. Mr. Choi would sometimes come to spend his lunch break with us so he wouldn´t feel lonely without his fiancée. I won´t complain about being treated by a handsome business man once in a while.

I was feeling grumpy and I was hungry. The strawberry milk for breakfast just wasn´t enough! But I don´t really have money to spend these days, the last budget went to the hairdresser, so I had to cut on the food. I sighed and put my head on the table. The coldness of the desk against my forehead allowed me to relax while waiting for a sure headache to come. I know it from my experience that pulling your own hair can cause a headache. Just when I was trying to become a part of the furniture a quiet knocking on the door echoed through the quiet office. I quickly stood up and rushed to open. I tripped only once on my way and after brushing my hair with fingers I opened the door.

“Welcome! May I take you to detective Lee´s office, young lady?” I politely greeted a beautiful and apparently wealthy woman and brought her to Donghae.

“Oh, Lady Park Bom! How can I help you?” Donghae said the moment I opened the door. So they know each other? Well, her clothes look as expensive as the detective´s so they could have met at one of those parties of high society. I wish I could attend such a party while working for Donghae.

“I didn´t know where else to go with this matter, Mr. Lee. I hope you can solve my problem,” the beautiful lady smiled, “discretely, of course,” she then added. The word ´discreet´ must be pretty popular in the highest floors of the cityscape. Our clients have always required us to be careful and almost invisible. I didn´t have any problem with erasing my existence, I´m not an important persona like Donghae, but the carefulness was kinda problem, heh.

“You don´t have to worry, we are professionals,” Donghae gave her his ´advertisement´ smile, as I call it, and prompted her to speak.

“I would like you to find a missing person,” she said and her eyes turned sad.

“Wouldn´t it be better to call the police?” I couldn’t help it and asked her. Donghae shot me an angry glance and I suddenly wanted to disappear in the corner. I tend to speak in times I´m supposed to be silent. But Park Bom didn´t my find my question strange and even looked at me for a moment.

“I wish I could but it has a catch you see. The person you will be looking for doesn´t exist,” she sad and her expression turned even sadder. How can we find someone who doesn´t exist? It´s true, she can´t go to the police with something like that. So, do we have to find a ghost? I couldn´t understand but Donghae somehow could.

“I understand. I´m sorry to ask this but I need to know, who is it being hidden.”

“It´s my younger sister Minzy. She was born both mentally and physically sick and so the head of the family decided to announce her death. The child was officially dead but Minzy continued to live in a house on the countryside. I would visit her often, because although she wasn´t really alright, she had her bright moments and I found her nice and cute,” a little smile appeared on Bom´s lips. I couldn´t believe my ears. I´ve read about hidden children only in novels from eighteen century and I would have never guessed that they could really exist in the modern society. Shivers ran down my spine.

“How did you found out, she was missing?” Donghae warmed up the atmosphere a bit by his sweet tone. I noticed that not only me but the lady too found his voice soothing.

“I visited her this weekend together with my younger brother and we stayed the night in the house. But when we woke up the next morning, she was gone. I have no idea, where did she disappear to that rainy night when everything single window and door was perfectly locked. I´m becoming desperate, Mr. Lee. Please, help me find her,” Park Bom finished her story in a hurry and bit her lip to hold back her expensive tears.

“We will do our utmost best to find her. If you give us the address of the house, we will make sure to be there at the latest in the evening,” Donghae announced and stood up to clasp her hands in assurance. Park Bom nodded her head and allowed me to accompany her on the way out. Before she left she gave me the address and her contact. I bowed deeply and then smiled to ease the atmosphere. Lady Park Bom only giggled.

_________________________

“Is that normal? I mean the hiding of a family member just because he isn´t for some stupid reason worth,” I finally asked Donghae on our way to the country house. I couldn´t help but say it in a bit angry tone. Luckily I was the driver so the chnches of being thrown out of the car were much lower. It was silent for a while. Only the sounds of wipers, raindrops and a humming motor.

“Unfortunately yes, Hyukjae,” the brunette then answered and leaned his head against the window, “it´s a terrible practice that still lives in the highest circles. There isn´t anyone like that in my family right now, but I know about a few cases from the past,” he then sighed and closed his eyes. I´m sure he didn´t like it either.

“Hyukjae, what are you thinking?” Donghae spoke up again after a while. He sounded tired, maybe he fell asleep for a bit.

“I was just thinking-,” I started but I stopped at his sigh.

“It wasn´t a question. What were you thinking when you missed our exit from the highway?!” If he was asleep before, now he was surely awake. For the rest of the journey I just kept apologising. At least the usual mood was back. I like Donghae the best when he focuses on me and not on the nothingness.

“Waaah! It´s so huge!” I exclaimed when I saw an old villa in the middle of a beautiful garden, or was it a park?

“Tune it down, Hyukjae. We are not here for sightseeing but for a job,” I was scolded again. I simply pouted and continued with my personal field trip. Donghae rang the bell and after a long echo, which sounded more like a symphony, we were welcomed by a tall butler. I in breath so I wouldn´t let out something like: Wow, you are as high as a skyscraper! Did you drink lots of milk? The butler introduced himself as Zhoumi and let us inside with an enormous smile on his face. I breathed in again. Zhoumi´s smiling show.

“Ah, you must be detective Lee Donghae,” a man probably a bit younger than us came down from a wooden stairwell.

“Yes and this is my assistant, Lee Hyukjae,” I bowed, “and you must be Lady Park´s brother, Seungri.”

“That´s right. Welcome to the house, I´ll show you her room first,” the black haired man immediately said with cold eyes and smirk on his face and led us to the rear wing. I´m sure he didn´t like our presence in the house and wanted us to finish as soon as possible. He might not even want us to find her at all. But it wasn´t the time to voice out my thoughts and so I followed him with the detective behind. We went across a long corridor until we arrived in front of a white door. Seungri opened them and we found ourselves in a bright room with huge windows. Everything in the room was in light colours and gentle decorations. Although the lady we were looking for was already an adult, the room was filled with stuffed animals and other toys.

“When you´re finished, you can go to your rooms on the first floor. I´ll join you at dinner at seven in the main hall,” Seungri smiled coldly and disappeared in the dark corridor.

“I don´t like him,” I finally said when I was sure that the guy couldn´t hear me. Donghae ignored my whine and started looking around the room. I was supposed to do the same but ended up only pretending to be looking. Instead I opted for checking my boss´ muscular back and round while he bent down or climbed up on the furniture to find anything. The men look the best when working, sigh.

“Lee Hyukjae, stop staring and start working,” the detective warned. Yuck! How did he know?! Does he have eyes on the back of his head too? “I told you I could see right through you,” he then added. , he can read my thoughts too! I hurried to search the drawers.

I was scrambling through the stuff in the nightstand. There was a spoon, a few seashells, crayons, some chocolate crumbs, which I have a good idea how they ended up there since I have similar crumbs in my own nightstand, a key and some other things. I opened the second drawer and decided not to steal the bonbons defencelessly lying there because my eyes spotted a pink notebook. I opened it and closed immediately.

“What´s that?” Donghae saw me shutting the book abruptly and was curious about its content. He came closer and snatched it from my hands. He was about to open the pink notebook when I stopped him.

“You can´t!” I looked at him with horror. “Why?” Donghae frowned but decided to listen to me first before opening the book. “It´s her diary!” I stressed. “So what?” Donghae didn´t understand. “You can´t read someone´s diary, it´s a private thing! I scolded my boss. But Donghae didn´t seem to feel the way I did and shamelessly opened the notebook. I hissed and walked away offended.

But I couldn´t hold it for too long, I was too curious. I silently sneaked behind Donghae and peeked from behind his shoulder. The writing was like a six years old child although the date stated four days ago. Only now I really realised, that Minzy´s condition was complicated. The text was hard to read and there were only three sentences. I hoped that my smart companion was able to decipher them.

“Hmm, I see,” Donghae uttered. I told you, my boss is a genius! “Hyukjae, read it for me.” Or maybe he isn´t.

“Why me?” I was still sulking. “Because you are a literature graduate,” Donghae tried. “That´s right, I studied literature not cryptography,” I defended myself. “The text is surely your intellectual level,” the brunette launched again and glanced at my blonde hair. “Well, you are right! It´s perfect for me since I have to read a similar handwriting all the time,” I took the book and walked to sit on the bed. “Your handwriting,” I then finished quietly but enough for Donghae to hear. My only answer was a grunt.

I focused on the ´text´ in front of me and decided to encrypt it. I really did my best and then I finally got it! But when I snapped my head to tell Donghae, the guy was already gone and it was getting dark outside already. How long was I sitting there? I put the book back into the drawer and ran out of the room. I sprinted faster through the corridor because it was scary and dark in there. When I opened the door at the end I didn´t fail to hear the laughs coming from the room on the left. I went after the noise and as expected Donghae and Sungri were already eating the dinner. I was hungry too!

“Ah, Hyukjae, you came!” Seungri called. I gave him a small smile and sat next to Donghae.

“Why didn´t you tell me?” I whispered. “I must have forgotten,” Donghae smirked. Bastard!

“Your companion is quite pretty, Donghae. Asistants like her are hard to find. Do you have a boyfriend, Hyukjae?” Seungri asked me and sipped from his wine. It had been silent for a while before Donghae burst out lauging like crazy. Tears were running down his cheeks and he couldn´t breathe properly anymore. I huffed and crossed my arms over my chest, my appetite was gone.

“Did I say something wrong?” Seungri still couldn´t catch on. “Are you two together or something?” And Donghae was hit by another wave of laughter. Someone else was laughing from behind me too and when I turned back I found myself in Zhoumi´s smiling show again. Not fair! I stood up and went to my room on the second floor. I closed the door with a bang and went to sulk again.

It was getting late and I regretted not stealing those candies from Minzy´s nightstand. I didn´t get to eat during the dinner and had to skip my lunch before too to help Donghae pack for the trip. The bastard ate in the car. Fortunately Zhoumi called from behind my door and asked me if I wanted him to bring the dinner inside. I shamelessly agreed.

“I´m sorry,” I looked up to the tall man with my mouth full of potatoes. I couldn´t speak so I just raised my eyebrows to show him that he should continue. Zhoumi caught on. “I´m sorry for laughing,” he then said and gave me an apologetic face. I quickly gulped down my food.

“S´okay. I´m not angry at you but at Donghae and maybe at Seungri,” I told him truthfully.

“Seungri is a lady killer,” Zhoumi took the freedom to sit down on the chair opposite. I nodded my head, I was interested. “He likes to be around girls and even the night, our Minzy had disappeared, he was somewhere out and chasing after women,” Zhoumi sighed and leaned on the table.

“You have a strange accent,” I suddenly asked in a short moment when my mouth wasn´t stuffed with food. There are free reasons, why I asked this. First, I wasn´t Donghae and didn´t manage to hold a topic that had any importance to the case. Second, Zhoumi looked saddened by the disappearance of the young lady. And third, I was simply curious, hehe.

“Oh, I´m actually Chinese,” Zhoumi grinned, “I wanted a job here in Korea which would be well paid. I have a bit of an expensive hobby, you see.”

“Really?” I started cleaning my mouth after the delicious dinner.

“I really like fashion but the best clothes aren´t cheap,” Zhoumi´s smiling show again.

“I perfectly understand you! Actually I-,” I stopped in the middle of the sentence. I couldn´t tell Zhoumi, that I like shopping as much as he did and that I spent half of my salary last month on clothes, because Donghae entered the room. The tall butler excused himself and I ended up alone with the detective.

“So, what was in the diary?” Donghae´s face was serious and there were no traces of being drunk. The detective was probably just pretending to be drinking to get some information from Seungri. I was a bit relieved that didn´t have to deal with drunk Donghae because I was a bit scared to sleep in this house without him to protect me in case something happened. The brunette sat on the place where was Zhoumi sitting a while ago.

“It´s kinda said but useless. There were just three sentences: I hate Seungri oppa. Seungri doesn´t like Minzy. Minzy will play in the rain!” I imitated a girl´s voice and Donghae chuckled.

“Why would it be useless?” He then asked his voice warm and calm.

“Because Zhoumi just told me, that Seungri wasn´t here the night she had went missing,” I sighed and put my head on my arms laid on the table.

“That´s right, I found this much too already and also the reason she hated Seungri,” I raised my head again to look at the brunette, “Apparently she wanted to play in the rain but her brother wouldn´t let her, she got angry and ran to her room. And just like you remarked, Seungri went after girls that night, so the doors happened to be open that night.”

“Don´t tell me, she went to play outside in the rain all alone and at night!” I exclaimed suddenly up on my legs.

“Well, I think that´s exactly what had happened. At least according to the diary and the information we got from Seungri,” Donghae put on a sad face.

“Then we should go and search outside!” I suddenly panicked and ran out of the room.

“Hyukjae, wait! It´s raining outside!” Donghae yelled but no one is faster than me. I ran through the labyrinth of dark hallways and opened the door out to the garden. The house hadn´t been locked since Minzy went missing so she could return anytime.

Just like Donghae had said, I ended up in the heavy rain. It´s been four days from Minzy´s disappearance and the chances of finding her in the garden of the house were like that of a snowball in hell. If you are wondering why I decided to soak myself in the rain then remember, that I´m currently blonde. I didn´t really think hard, I just felt extremely worried and wanted to find the girl.

“Hyukjae, are you insane?! Come back!” Donghae screamed at me from the opened back door. It was already dark and my wet hair kept sticking to my eyelids and as a result I couldn´t really see anything anymore.

Suddenly I stumbled over a small brick hedge. I hit my shins but before I could react I found myself already falling down. I yelped before I hit the water. I fell into an old well! The well must have been already buried and stocked with stones because I could feel the bottom under my legs. But the heavy rain falling for the past weeks filled the hole with water. I had to partially swim because I didn´t want to drown and climbing up was impossible. The brick walls of the well were too steep and slippery. I panicked and started moving around and kicking my legs, then my ankles tangled into something. Once I realised what it was, I began crying and screaming.

“Donghae! Donghae! Oh my God, Donghae! Please! Help me!” I was desperate.

“Hyukjae!” Donghae appeared in the skylight in a minute and stretched his arms towards me, “Here! Hold my hands!” The brunette was as scared as I was and once our cold palms entangled he gripped me securely. I was pulled out of the well and Donghae immediately brought me against his warm chest. I couldn´t stop crying and didn´t want to let go of the man.

“D-Donghae, I f-found her,” I whispered against his neck. I didn´t expect him to understand me but he did. True detective indeed and I was glad that I didn´t have to say it with my own mouth.

Donghae stood up with me in his arms and started walking towards the house. I kept mumbling nonsense and crying while he tried to calm me down. On his way he met Zhoumi in the hallway and gave him an order. When I heard the order, another wave of stress ran through my body and I out.

“Zhoumi, tell your master that Minzy was found dead in the well.”

_____________________

When I woke up, I was sitting in Donghae´s Jaguar on the passenger seat. It was still raining but the sun was already raising and the light woke me up from my slumber. Donghae noticed me waking up but probably didn´t know what to say and in the end only the radio. Even though it was SuJu playing in the car, I couldn´t bring my mood up. I had just almost drowned and found a corpse of a girl tangled around my legs. My stomach made a caterwaul and I growled. Donghae stayed silent.

Instead of home, my boss brought me back to the agency. I was too exhausted to protest and let him lead me to the sofa in my office. I sat down and helplessly clasped my hands tight in an attempt to not cry.

“Stay here, I´ll be right back!” Donghae told me and locked himself inside his office. Now I was starting to get curious.

I decided to do something useful and went make me and Donghae a cup of green tea. As I waited for the water to boil, I found myself scanning my reflection on the surface of the kettle. My blonde hair were messy, my eyes red and my complexion even whiter than normally. That´s not good! I must look like a beggar next my handsome boss. I brushed my hair with a fork and washed my face in the sink, drying it with a dishcloth. Better.

When the tea was done, I took the cups and went back to the office to meet with the classy detective. But instead a cute girl welcomed me on the sofa. I widened my eyes because this cover of Donghae´s definitely wasn´t the best. One, two, three and I couldn´t control myself anymore. At the last moment I managed to put the cups on my desk before I slid down on the ground and started laughing hard while lying on my back and kicking my legs in the air like a bug.

Donghae had a pineapple hairstyle with a cute pink ribbon as a decoration. He managed his make-up almost perfectly except for his cheeks that were too red. Or maybe it was just a blush? His muscular body was trying to fit into the horrible black and white dress, that were too big for me. It didn´t look nice on me but it looked even worse on Donghae. His strong arms were imitating Kim Jong Kook in his pink tee in the Loveable MV. Donghae was sitting with his right leg over the left one to look more renovated but the hole in his stockings completely destroyed his effort. What to say, Donghae was absolutely gorgeous!

“Hahaha, what´s that?!” I said in the pause between my laughs.

“Aren´t I y?” Donghae said cockily and stood up. He started posing and was so immersed into his act that he didn´t notice me taking pictures with my phone. When he came back to reality again, my mobile was hidden back in my pocket.

Then Donghae washed up and came back to drink the tea with me. We talked for a bit and when I started feeling sleepy again he drove me home. I was very thankful to him because he put my mind back to peace. That of course didn´t stop me from finally take my revenge on him for the Choi Siwon´s case.

The next day I came to work earlier to install the piece of art that was now hanged above the detective´s desk. I grinned when I took the last look on into Donghae´s office and went to sit behind my desk with anticipation. My boss arrived later and went straight to his office. It was quiet for a while and then-

“Lee Hyukjae! What´s with that huge photo of me in my office!!”

Muhehehehe.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

___________________________________

This time it was YG! Sorry for killing Minzy TT_TT. Anyway, thank you sooo much for reading. :)