Case 01

The Private Eye Lee

I rushed across the packed Monday streets with two paper cups from the café nearby in my hands. I was being careful not to spill them and made my way through the crowds. My black blazer was getting mercilessly soaked as I didn´t have any more free hand to hold an umbrella. Anyway it didn´t matter, that my freshly dyed ginger hair were totally wet because I was already late for work. I made a sharp turn and then an elegant spin in follow to avoid a woman with her fluffy dog. And after one more almost crush I finally made it to the doors of my work place.

The building was quite old but very well renovated. Almost everything was in dark wood and black marble and of course perfectly polished. I closed the doors behind me and carefully climbed to the second floor, not forgetting to make a path of little puddles behind me. I turned right and opened the dark wooden doors that read, The Private Eye Lee, on them. I put the two cups on the table of the assistant Lee Hyukjae, my table, and went to discard of my wet jacket and bag. Then I returned to the drinks and took them further into the room in front of another wooden door. Detective Lee Donghae was written on them in golden letters. I gulped and gently knocked on my boss´ door.

“Come in,” came a quiet answer.

“Good morning,” I said timidly while awkwardly juggling with the handle and the two cups.

“You are late, Hyukjae,” the handsome brunette behind a huge desk pointed out. I bit my lip and handed him his cup. “It was kinda packed in the shop this morning, people were hiding from the rain and-,“ I didn´t get the chance to finish my lame excuse.

“I wanted hot coffee, not hot chocolate!” Lee Donghae made an angry face.

“Oh, sorry! This one is mine!” I said and quickly exchanged the cups. I shot my boss an apologetic glance but inwardly I was happy that the brunette was the first one to check the drink. I´m pretty sure, that I hate the bitterness more than he hates the sweetness.

Donghae sighed and shook his head in defeat: “Go and dry yourself, then come back for work. The guest should be here in ten minutes.”

Just like I was told, I excused myself and ran off to the small bathroom on the other side of the second floor. I should maybe tell you, that the whole building as well as the furniture and some other thing belong to the Lee Donghae himself. The guy is pretty rich and being a detective is just one of his leisure hobbies to pass the time. I don´t really mind, I´m not the type to judge fast but still one more penny to my wallet wouldn´t be too much to ask, would it? To put it bluntly, I have it pretty deep into my pocket. I work part-time for the newspapers because I´m actually a literature graduate and being a journalist allows me to pay my bills since the private detective´s assistant job doesn´t really pay well. But don´t get me wrong, I don´t hate neither my job nor my boss. It´s the opposite actually.

I dried my hair and put on a spare shirt I had in my office and went back just in time to meet a strange but very handsome man. He was probably contemplating whether to knock on my office or rather go home. He was unlucky because I arrived to end his pondering with a firm opening of the door.

“This way, please. I´ll take you to Mr. Lee´s,” I said with a smile and ushered the man forward.

The clocks on the wall of Donghae´s office were regularly ticking while a handsome young man was nervously squirming in one of the leather armchairs. I was sitting in the corner with a laptop on my knees, ready to type whatever the boy decides to give out.

“So, Mr. Choi, how can I help you?” Donghae said politely. Bastard. How can he let out such a sweet voice when he just made the poor guy suffer under his excruciating stare for good ten minutes!

“Ehm, there´s this private little problem I have,” the hot guy started. You know, I had whole ten minutes of having nothing better to do than checking out our guest. Choi Siwon, as I learnt was his full name, was a tall and well built man. The sturdy muscles were apparent even under his formal clothes and his classy style was screaming money. Another guy completely out of my league.

“As you probably know, Mr. Lee, my status asks a great caution from me. I had recently learnt that my fiancé might be cheating on me. Of course I can´t really tell anyone, at least until I´m perfectly sure. Do you understand what I mean?” Choi Siwon raised his thick eyebrows and made a strict glance at my boss. I stopped typing to give the guy his perfect dramatic silence. Once the moment was over, I finished my sentence.

“By all means, you don´t have to worry anymore. I and my assistant will take care of the matter professionally and discreetly,” my boss answered with a smile but I was sure that the look he gave me when he said the last word was meant as a threat.

The handsome guest then gave us all the details about his fiancé and the whole situation. I made sure to write down everything perfectly for Donghae. When his story was finished, he took his umbrella, what a sensible man, and said goodbye. I took the last glance on the man´s backside and closed the door of my office behind him.

_______________________

My single eyelids felt heavy this Tuesday morning. I had to proof read a huge pile of something that must have been a poor novel last night. Another low paid job I do for the newspaper. I was sitting with a mug of hot chocolate that was surely cold by now, in front me and looked blankly into the space. I was holding my suddenly too heavy head in my palms and my elbows were propped on the table of the café. I was about to daze off when my phone rung, successfully waking me up from my sleepy state. The caller was Lee Donghae.

“Stop daydreaming and focus, Hyukjae!” The loud voice coming from the device didn´t even give me a chance to say hello.

“How did you know?” I started nervously looking around me scared of catching a sight of my angry boss.

“It´s not hard to guess, you´re as transparent as glass. I called you to wake you up, they could be there any moment,” Donghae said and ended the call once again before I could say goodbye.

I sighed tiredly and took a sip of my truly cold chocolate. I was on watch and had to wait for Choi Siwon´s fiancé, Yuri, to come to her favourite café for a breakfast. From then I would follow her around for the rest of the week while giving a report about her life to Donghae daily. And with an entrance of a beautiful tall, slim and elegant woman with a charming smile, my tiring week was about to begin.

____________________

“So?” I asked Donghae who was once again going through the reports.

“What do you mean by ´so´? And what´s with the report anyway?” My boss his chair to me and I swiftly looked away. I knew perfectly what was going to follow but I was still too curious about the case to not open the topic. I stood there awkwardly and waited for the storm to come.

“Hyukjae, mind telling me, what was Yuri doing on Wednesday from three to six o´clock?” Donghae crossed his arms over his chest.

“Well, I got kinda soaked by the rain while waiting outside and they wouldn´t let me inside the hotel she went to...,” I trailed off and started playing with hem of my shirt.

“And what was she doing on Thursday from eleven to four?” Donghae pressed once again.

“T-There was this work I had to submit by the next morning and I thought, that she should be asleep…,” I added biting of my lower lip to the others nervous habits of mine.

“Did you have to submit some kind of work on Saturday afternoon too?” Donghae was becoming mad.

“No! It was my sister´s birthday!” I didn´t really catch the mood and put on a huge smile. Good I didn´t start talking about the gift I bought for her because Donghae seemed pretty pissed off by now.

“Are you joking?! You were gone half of the time! What do I do with a report like this, huh? I just lost hours of precious time! Look Hyukjae, you should take your job seriously or I´ll think seriously about your deposition,” my boss stated huffed while leaning back on his chair.

“N-No! Don´t fire me, please. I´ll do my best, I promise,” I was almost crying already, it´s pretty easy to make me cry. Just because I watched her only half of the day doesn´t mean he should kick me out for that. She had fifty percent chance to cheat, isn´t that enough? To fire me because of this would be just plain cruel.

“Okay, but be careful next time, Hyukjae,” Donghae shot me an authoritative glance and I tried to look humble. But when his eyes returned to the text, I stuck my tongue on him secretly.

“What a mess, we don´t have a single clue right now,” Donghae sighed and massaged his nape. “Mr. Choi is supposed to come on Wednesday and it´s Monday already. What do I do? It will bring a shame to my agency that I couldn´t even catch a cheating woman,” my boss was stressing.

“Um, but I know the person she is cheating with,” I said in a calm tone. Why all that stress?

“You what?!” Donghae almost fell from the chair after hearing my statement. “How?”

“I would rather not say how I found out but I can tell you that person´s name,” I smiled widely and hoped that Donghae won´t ask any further. I forgot that he is the detective here, ugh.

“I want to hear the whole story and don´t you dare leave a single part out, assistant Lee Hyukjae,” Donghae spoke in his ´boss tone’ and I had no choice but to tell him. .

“Well, I told you that I got soaked by the rain last Wednesday. You see, I went back to the office to change my clothes but I didn´t have any more spare shirts,” I made a few steps backwards as a countermeasure, “and since I was in hurry I had to take one of yours.”

I saw Donghae´s face change colour and decided to quickly continue: “But I somehow managed to spill a strawberry juice on it-“

“Lee Hyukjae! You dare to borrow my Armani shirt without me knowing and then dirty it with a red juice? Are you insane?!” The brunette jumped out from his chair and I almost didn´t manage to avoid his two hands that were about to strangle me. And while I was playing hide and seek with my boss, I continued with my story.

“But I immediately brought it to a dry cleaner!” I swift jump over his table gave me an upper hand. “And when I was sitting there only with a towel around my shoulders, a couple entered the shop,” Another jump, this time over one of the leather armchairs, “and it was Yuri with that famous athlete, Ok Taecyeon!” Donghae stopped and I finished my story. “They didn´t notice me in the corner and while the lady went to bring their things, the couple started talking and stuff.”

“And stuff?” Donghae asked, breathing hard after our little running, and smirked.

“L-Like kissing and you know..,” I trailed off red like the unfortunate strawberry juice. Having enough satisfaction from seeing my embarrassed face, the brunette decided to drop the subject of his Armani shirt and went to sit back on his expensive chair. Safe.

“Alright. We have the clue now but that´s not enough, we also need a proof,” Donghae leaned back on his chair and thought for a while. I love when he becomes all serious and then takes out an incredible idea from that smart brain of his. Guys with brains are y.

“Okay, I have plan! Come earlier tomorrow and you don´t have to bring me the coffee. Don´t be late, get it?”

“Yes, sir!” I posed like a soldier and ran off from his office before any hard object land on my ginger head.

________________________

On Tuesday morning I came to work earlier just like Donghae had told me the day before. But I couldn´t find my boss anywhere which made me quite confused. Why did I have to hurry when he is late? I hate waking up sooner than needed, you know. If it weren´t for breakfast, I wouldn´t want to get up at all.

“Ah, Hyukjae! You really came early, I didn´t expect you really listen to my words,” Donghae´s voice came from behind me. I spun around to see the brunette coming out from the bathroom but the person standing behind me wasn´t Donghae.

“Who are you?” I asked the tall man in his forties with a well cut moustache and stylish sunglasses. But the man only started laughing and soon I understood. Those accented words, which kept slipping between the laughs, gave it all away. I know exactly one wealthy young man who is able to speak in standard language only when he is calm, but lets his dialect out whenever his emotions get a say in the matter.

“Donghae?” I asked but it was more like a scolding. The supposedly impostor stopped laughing and made an effort to explain the situation.

“Thanks to you, we got to know who the secret lover is. And it was pretty easy to get Taecyeon´s schedule for me,” Donghae brushed through his fake beard,” so I found out that he has a long break after the lunch today. I´m absolutely sure, that he will take Yuri on a date.”

“I understand, we are going to spy on them,” I reasoned.

“Yes, but she might know me, besides going there as two guys could destroy our plan.” Donghae made a few steps towards me but I still didn´t get what the hell he was talking about. “If they decide to go to a romantic restaurant or an amusement park, we will be too suspicious.”

“Then what do we do?” I asked naively. Instead of answering Donghae simply smirked at me. , something´s fishy.

It took Donghae approximately an hour to turn me into a completely shameful excuse of a human being. Woman doesn´t look like me and I definitely don´t look like a gorgeous date. I had a long blond wig on my head and freshly made up face. My skinny body was padded with a plush to boost my curves and clad into a black and white casual dress. At least Donghae had enough sanity to give me actual shoes and not one those scary things with heels. I looked like a fool.

“Bella Donna!” My date exclaimed but I caught him holding back his laugher.

“That´s not funny! And what´s with the blonde wig?” I put my hands on my hips.

“I didn´t have time to choose. You look great in blonde and it matches your wits just perfectly,” then he couldn´t hold it anymore and burst out laughing. Even his fake beard fell off. I picked it from the ground and stuck it on his nose.

“Next time you play the girl and I will laugh,” I said and while swaying my hips left the room. Still amused Donghae hurried after me and offered me his arm. As a good lady I took it of course.

Only after about thirty minutes of waiting in front of Taecyeon´s gym, just like Donghae had predicted, Yuri arrived. And again as expected our couple went for their date right away. They headed for an aquarium with us on their track. Aquarium is definitely a good choice with the low lighting and less people. It´s been so long since I´ve been there and so I was looking forward to it. But apparently there was someone even giddier than me, I glanced at my camouflaged boss.

“Do they have sharks and clown fishes there?” Donghae inquired. I rolled my eyes at him.

Yuri with her secret lover went first to the aquarium but it pretty hard to follow them there because Donghae kept falling behind while watching the underwater life. My dress was a bit too big for me, another punch to my battered pride, and the wig wasn´t any more comfortable. Then the couple went for lunch into a small and romantic restaurant. To say it was awkward would be an understatement. I had to dine with Donghae while pretending to be a girl and that jerk didn´t even let me order enough, something about eating like a pig. But I got my revenge when I managed to spill the wine on something that was apparently very expensive and branded dress. Donghae did his best to make as many photos of the cheating lady as possible and after that we finally went home. I couldn´t wait to take down the woman´s clothing and wash out the hideous make-up. Today I´ll stay only in my underwear, order a pizza and eat it with my legs on the coffee table while watching a football match. I have to gain back all my lost testosterone!

___________________

Choi Siwon arrived exactly at ten o´clock on Wednesday. This time he sat confidently on the leather armchair and asked me to make him a tea. I didn´t want to miss any part of the conversation but Donghae´s stare was uncompromising. I sighed for myself and went to a little kitchenette to make a cup of tea for Mr. Choi.

When I came back and opened the door, both men in the room were laughing like maniacs. My eyes widened and I was suddenly worried. I carefully put down the plate and wanted to ask them when I suddenly noticed something. There on a pile of photos, probably those we took yesterday, was lying a huge one. But it was neither Yuri nor Taecyeon in the photo. It was me in that horrible wig, with made-up face and that damned dress!

“What the hell?!” I snapped and snatched the photo. It took me only about three seconds to tear it into small pieces and throw away.

“Please don´t get mad. I just got those bad news and detective Lee wanted to make me feel better,” the handsome guy made a pleading face. God, I was melting. “And besides, you look awesome!” He added and Donghae almost fell from his chair.

“Fine! Now that the case is closed, I´m going home. And to you, detective Lee, I´m declaring a war!”

I said and ran out of his office. I didn´t forget to add more drama by banging the door loudly. If I stayed any longer, I would start laughing too. With a smile plastered on my face I slipped out of the building and into the fresh air. I planned to lazy around in the park today. It started pouring again, aigoo.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

__________________________________________

So, here´s the first chapter! I know, the case is kinda easy and rushed but I wanted to show you how it works in the agency first. Also I chose other characters randomly. I have nothing against SNSD or 2PM, I just thought, they suited the story the most. I´ll continue to add other characters i nthe future this way. :D I really hope you like it, because it took me some effort to write it, heh. And excuse all the horrible mistakes, I know there are surely lots of them. Thank you very much for reading!!! :)