Final

Masquerade

It was the night of the 19th annual masquerade ball where all the young ladies and gents donned their best dresses and best suits, hoping to please their partners visually.


The event began with a small little speech from the town mayor and the organizers followed by the distribution of the refreshments, the serving and then eating of the dinner before the lights dimmed.


One by one, the males offered their hands to their dates who gladly accepted it with a few smiles and giggles, walking in strides to the open carpet space in the center of the room to begin dancing.


Meanwhile, at one of the many dozens of tables, a girl in a lovely rose red dress with small wavy folds on the straps sat alone as her eyes watched the many couples step in synch with smiles painted on their faces.


She lifted her right hand up to slightly adjust the emerald green mask outlined with thin gold that sat just on the bridge of her nose, not noticing that someone had quietly come up next to her.


It wasn't until they cleared their throat did she turn her head and look up, eyes first noticing the sunny yellow mask with sparkles over their face then the bright smile of the boy in front of her.


'May I have this dance, my lady?'


The girl blinked twice and tried to hide her smirk as she put her hand in his open palm, standing up and trailing behind his footsteps as he led her to an open space on the dance floor.


He cautiously placed his right hand on her left shoulder while carefully sliding his left hand around her waist to place only the tips of his fingers on the center of her back before the two of them swayed side to side.


It was clear that the girl could not last another minute trying to keep in her laughter as she let out a short burst when the boy tried to tilt her into his arms but instead caused them to stumble to the side.


After regaining their footing, they went back to the gentle and slow waltz that seemed to be getting slower and slower.


'Youngjae.'


The boy ignore the call of his name, closing his eyes as he hummed a random song loudly yet it wasn't as loud as the music so only she could hear it.


'You know he is going to see us soon.'


Quickly shaking his head, he opened his eyes while his smile turned into a big, confident grin.


'Lily, he won't be able to for a long time because I lied to him that I accidently the car keys in the washroom when I had to go earlier but the truth is I have them right here.'


He reached into his pocket to fish out the metal ring of keys that jingled when he shook his hand but the sound was cut off short when someone snatched them out of his fingers then a deep voice was heard.


'I'll be taking these back, thank you.'


'Y-Yongguk' His eyes widen when he looked back at his friend.


'That so called 'long time' sure was short.' The girl laughed again when she saw the frozen fearful expression on her 'partner's' face.


'And I'll also be taking my date back.' The newcomer wrapped his fingers around her wrist before swiftly bringing her to hold her firmly by his suit cladded side then walked away with her just as another girl appeared.


'He told me that he will lock you in the closet if I didn't tell him.'


Those were the first words that the girl in a flowing lavender purple dress said to the dumbfounded boy that was her actual date to the ball.


Youngjae snapped back to reality after a few minutes and turned to face her, this time putting his hand firmly on her shoulder and wrapping his arm tightly around her waist.


'You could have at least bought me more time, Allie.'


'Sorry.' She showed a small smile as she went with his steps as they danced.


The smile was shared and so was the laughter that came out right after as he brought her closer to him in a near hug as the couple drifted off into the crowd.


In another part of the dance floor, Yongguk was holding his date in his arms in the same way but he was a bit more gentle as he glanced at the ceiling while the music had changed to a much slower song.


'It's such a beautiful night' His eyes were gazing up at the ceiling made up of window panels that allowed everyone to see the night sky filled with stars and the glowing crescent moon.


'It is.' Her words came out like a soft hum.


'But not as beautiful as you are, Lily.' He tilted his head down to gaze into her eyes with a warm smile.


She lowered her head to hide her cheeks as she blushed a light tint of red.


He let out a soft chuckle at her reaction before leaning forward to plant a soft kiss on her forehead.