Our Love Has No Limits

Limitless Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Title: Limitless Love

Author: ilovesungyeollie

Pairing: MyungYeol (ft. YaDong)

Setting: Ancient Korea

Genre: Romance, Angst, Character Death

~~*~~

20 Years Ago

“Your Majesty!” a servant came running into the room where Emperor Howon was waiting impatiently with his equally impatient general. At the call, Emperor Howon immediately turned.

“Yes Dongwoo? What happened?” Emperor Howon asked expectantly.

Dongwoo bowed quickly before speaking. “Your Majesty, the Empress has given birth to a healthy boy.”

Emperor Howon’s face split with a smile and he turned to his general with happiness, missing the look of sadness that passed Dongwoo’s face.

“Congratulations Your Majesty.” The general congratulated with a smile.

“Yes, No need to be so formal with me Sunggyu. Now we just have to wait for your good news.” Emperor Howon told General Sunggyu.

Before anything else could be said, another servant came running into the room. General Sunggyu immediately walked over to the servant with an eager look.

“Tell me quickly Woohyun; is it a boy or girl?” General Sunggyu asked.

Woohyun bowed to the Emperor and his master. “Your Majesty, Master Sunggyu. Lady Sehyun has just given birth to a boy.”

General Sunggyu and Emperor Howon congratulated each other while the servants exchanged polite smiles.

“This is such good fortune. Our sons can become the best of friends.”

~~*~~

15 Years Ago

“Yeollie! I bet you can’t catch me!” Little Myungsoo called out cheekily as he ran away from the slightly taller kid.

“I bet I can!” Little Sungyeol yelled as he chased after the other through the garden.

Their mothers, Empress Nayoung and Lady Sehyun, were sitting in a pavilion amidst the royal botanical gardens watching their sons play with each other.

Little Myungsoo started running across a small river using stepping stones but slipped as he wasn’t being careful. Luckily at this time, little Sungyeol had caught up with him and pulled little Myungsoo back onto land.

“Myungie, you need to be more careful! If I hadn’t caught you now you would have fallen into the water.” Little Sungyeol scolded little Myungsoo. Little Myungsoo pouted cutely before running away with a big smile.

“You can’t catch me Yeollie!”

“Of course I can! I always catch you!”

~~*~~

7 Years Ago

The wooden swords clashed with a thud as the two boys slashed at each other. Young Myungsoo and Young Sungyeol were currently in sword fighting class and both would not let the other win.

Sungyeol his sword towards Myungsoo’s chest while Myungsoo quickly sidestepped to move out of the way. Myungsoo retaliated with his own attack, which Sungyeol blocked quickly. Their swords crashed against each other a few more times as both managed to evade the other’s attacks.

Then, while Myungsoo was moving backwards to avoid Sungyeol’s incoming sword, he tripped over an uneven part of the cobblestone ground they were fighting on. Myungsoo tried to stop his fall by sticking his sword into the ground but it only slid off. Just before he could hit the ground however, Myungsoo was jerked up roughly causing him to drop his sword. Sungyeol smirked at Myungsoo as their chests bumped and stepped back while dropping Myungsoo’s hand.

“Why am I always saving you when you are the General’s son?” Sungyeol mocked in a teasing tone.

Myungsoo picked up his sword while replying, “Don’t worry. Soon you’ll be the one needing to be saved.”

With that the two boys charged at each other and once again the loud thuds of wooden swords against each other were heard.

~~*~~

Now

“Myungie! I bet you can’t catch me!” Sungyeol yelled as he ran through the grass and dodged the trees.

“I bet I can!” Myungsoo replied as he ran after Sungyeol swiftly.

Sungyeol’s tinkling laughter rang through the quiet forest and Myungsoo couldn’t help but smile. Myungsoo stopped running for a bit as he watched how beautiful Sungyeol looked, running freely with sunlight shining onto his silky hair.

When Sungyeol stopped and turned to see where Myungsoo was, he tilted his head and pouted cutely. Myungsoo thought Sungyeol must have been an angel that came down to earth.

“Myungie, why are you just standing there?” Sungyeol asked, panting slightly.

“How old are you Sungyeol? Still playing such games… it’s very un-princely.” Myungsoo said with a smile.

“Un-princely isn’t even a word. And you’re the same age as me and you’re playing too!” Sungyeol replied, poking his tongue out as he plopped down onto the ground.

“But that’s only because I have to obey you, Prince Sungyeol.” Myungsoo shot back with a smirk.

Sungyeol huffed and crossed his arms. “Fine, be like that. I thought you were my friend.”

Myungsoo chuckled before starting to run again. “Well you’re going to be captured if you don’t start running soon.”

As soon as Sungyeol saw Myungsoo coming towards him, he jumped up with a shriek and laughed while running away. While running, Sungyeol didn’t notice the fallen log hidden in the medium length grass and being the tall and clumsy choding he was, tripped over it. Myungsoo who’d almost caught up with Sungyeol, tried to stop the other from falling but he was no match for gravity and ended up toppling on top of Sungyeol.

The two thudded onto the ground with chests heaving from all the running. Myungsoo and Sungyeol both laughed at their unluckiness.

“Now look who needs the saving.” Myungsoo spoke teasingly into Sungyeol’s chest, where his face was currently squashed.

“Well you ended up…” Sungyeol began but trailed off as Myungsoo lifted his head and looked down at him.

As their eyes met, suddenly everything seemed to change. The world was still the same around them but the way Sungyeol saw Myungsoo was different. His heart beat faster and all of a sudden, Sungyeol noticed every single place where they were touching. He noticed how soft Myungsoo’s black hair looked, how deep and mesmerising those dark brown eyes were and just how flawless Myungsoo was in general.

Myungsoo on the other hand was experiencing much the same thing. He’d already known Sungyeol was beautiful but seeing him so close made him realise how perfect the other was with his big innocent brown eyes and pretty pink lips.

“…on the ground too.” Sungyeol finished his sentence with a breathless whisper.

That didn’t accomplish anything except draw Myungsoo’s attention to those very kissable plump lips. Sungyeol watched Myungsoo’s eyes drop to his lips and couldn’t help notice how very close Myungsoo’s lips were to his own. Sungyeol let his eyes close slowly as he saw Myungsoo’s face come closer. However instead of feeling another pair of lips on his own, Sungyeol felt Myungsoo’s weight on him disappear.

Sungyeol opened his eyes to see Myungsoo standing with his back to him. Sungyeol blinked and sat up while letting out his breath shakily. He stood up and took a step towards Myungsoo but stopped when Myungsoo whirled around abruptly.

“I’m sorry, Your Highness.” Myungsoo mumbled with his head bowed.

Sungyeol felt his heart clench when he heard that. Myungsoo only called Sungyeol by his official title when he was being absolutely serious. Myungsoo was a very noble person, being the General’s son, and always did what was right.

“Myungsoo…” Sungyeol called out softly as he stepped forward with his hand outstretched towards Myungsoo. Myungsoo avoided his eyes and stepped back. Before Sungyeol could feel hurt at Myungsoo’s actions, a voice broke the tense silence.

“Young Master!”

The two turned to see Woohyun running towards them with tears in his eyes. Immediately, both boys were alarmed and ran to meet Woohyun. Woohyun was about to bow but was stopped by Sungyeol.

“No need for formalities, just tell us what’s wrong.” Sungyeol said with a concerned voice.

Woohyun nodded and wiped his tears but more just kept coming. “I’m sorry Young Master but…”

“But what?” Myungsoo prompted worriedly.

“The General… he was… k-killed in battle.” Woohyun managed to choke out.

“W-what?” Myungsoo gasped in shock, his body stiffening.

“I’m sorry Young Master.” Woohyun mumbled, while trying to stop his tears.

Sungyeol himself was stunned into silence. He couldn’t believe what he had just heard. The General Sunggyu was his father’s best general and had never lost a battle. How could he just be killed like this?

Woohyun had left and Sungyeol turned to Myungsoo, knowing the other must be beyond devastated. Sungyeol tried to wrap his arms around the other in a hug but was pushed away. Myungsoo bowed hastily to Sungyeol before taking off in the same direction as Woohyun.

“Myungsoo!” Sungyeol called out but to no avail. He stood there as he watched Myungsoo disappear. After a while of silence, Sungyeol sighed and slowly made his way back as well.

Later that night, when Sungyeol had decided he’d given Myungsoo enough time to be alone and because he was worried, Sungyeol went to Myungsoo’s quarters to find him. He slowly entered the main courtyard which was surrounded by a set of luxurious rooms. The night was quiet and as Sungyeol walked around, he couldn’t find anyone. All the servants were nowhere in sight and neither was Myungsoo.

By that time Sungyeol was getting even more worried about Myungsoo. He was afraid Myungsoo couldn’t handle it. Myungsoo’s mother had passed away a few years ago, and now his father as well. Sungyeol himself was feeling really upset and in disbelief; he really found it hard to believe and kept feeling like General Sunggyu would just appear any moment and tell them it was a misunderstanding.

Sungyeol walked out a small back door and into the royal botanical gardens which happened to be right next door to the Kim’s quarters. He walked through the gardens which were shrouded in darkness and the slightly chilly air. Thankfully the moon was out so Sungyeol could sort of make out where he was heading and not fall into a pond or something.

Walking past a section decorated with rock mountains, Sungyeol tilted his head as he remembered there was a secret clearing between the rocks. He and Myungsoo had discovered it on one of their exploration adventures when they were little. Quickly stepping off the pebble path, Sungyeol strode towards the rocks. He squeezed into a thin opening and emerged inside the tiny clearing.

Like he had hoped, Sungyeol found Myungsoo there. The other was sitting on the grass with his back leaning against one of the towering rocks with knees up and head buried into his arms on top of his knees. As Sungyeol moved closer, he noticed Myungsoo’s shoulders shaking. Immediately Sungyeol sat down next to him and wrapped his arms around him. This time Myungsoo didn’t move out of Sungyeol’s embrace.

Sungyeol felt his own tears forming as he was now close enough to hear Myungsoo’s sobs. He hated seeing Myungsoo so sad and ever since Myungsoo’s mother had passed away Sungyeol had made a promise to always make Myungsoo happy.

Turning to Myungsoo, Sungyeol lifted the other’s head up gently while pushing his knees down. A few of Sungyeol’s tears escaped his eyes as he held Myungsoo’s head up and saw the other’s face stained with tears. Softly, Sungyeol wiped the tears away from Myungsoo’s eyes with his thumbs.

“Myung-ah… I know it hurts, so just let it all out and cry. But don’t ever cry when I’m not here okay?” Sungyeol whispered comfortingly.

Myungsoo looked at Sungyeol’s sincere eyes and could only nod slightly before breaking into tears again. Sungyeol pulled the other’s head to his chest and ran his hand through Myungsoo’s hair reassuringly while he cried into Sungyeol’s silk robes.

"S-sungyeol... what am I supposed to do now? My whole family is gone. There isn't anyone for me to live for anymore." Myungsoo choked out brokenly, voice muffled.

At these words, Sungyeol frowned. He pulled back and looked Myungsoo in the eye before speaking.

"Don't say that. There will always be someone to live for. And if there isn't, then live for yourself. Understand?" Sungyeol told Myungsoo sternly.

Myungsoo looked down and nodded. Sungyeol sighed softly and hugged Myungsoo again, tightly. He Myungsoo's hair for a bit before deciding to tell Myungsoo what had been on his mind since that afternoon.

"You know, before I never gave it any thought. Why I endure all the strict rules and suffer the harsh punishments my father and ancestors have imposed. It wasn't until today I realised that if it wasn't for you by my side, I wouldn't still be here." Sungyeol started quietly. He glanced down at Myungsoo's head before continuing.

"I've heard about so many nobles and royalty ending their lives to escape the oppressive society we live in and honestly, I probably would have ended up like that too if you weren’t here, Myungsoo. You have been by my side since we were born and I am so glad for that because I've had someone to talk to, to play with." Sungyeol paused for a bit to let it sink in before he moved to the most important point.

"Basically I'm saying you are my reason to live and I think I-" Sungyeol was interrupted before he could finish by a finger on his lips.

Myungsoo looked at Sungyeol with pleading eyes. Sungyeol saw that Myungsoo knew what he was going to say but was begging him not to. Myungsoo shook his head and started moving out of Sungyeol's arms. But Sungyeol tightened his hold, not letting go. He grasped Myungsoo's wrist lightly and moved his finger from his mouth. Then Sungyeol made sure that Myungsoo was looking at his eyes before speaking again.

"I love you Myungsoo."

Sungyeol's voice came out as a soft whisper but Myungsoo heard it loud and clear in the silent gardens. He could feel tears coming to his eyes again as he desperately wanted to respond to Sungyeol. However Myungsoo held back. He knew the implications of the Prince falling for someone the Emperor didn't choose and a male at that.

Sungyeol moved his face closer to Myungsoo, who tried to move away but was stopped by Sungyeol's hands. By now the two were so close they could feel the other's shallow breaths. Sungyeol's face was illuminated by the moonlight as he gazed at Myungsoo with nothing but pure affection on his face.

"Please Myungsoo... I don't care what my father says. For once I want to do something not because I have to, but because I want to."

At that, Myungsoo couldn't argue. He too knew how it felt to be forced to do things he did not want to do. His whole life had been like that; dictated by greater authorities. Myungsoo wanted to act on his own wishes as well. Plus it wasn't like he could really resist Sungyeol when the other was barely an inch away.

When Myungsoo didn't object, Sungyeol closed the short distance between them and pressed their lips together softly. Myungsoo immediately responded and leaned into the kiss. The feeling of their lips on each other's was like nothing the two had ever felt. It was simply amazing, blissful. By the time they pulled away, both Sungyeol and Myungsoo were panting. Despite it being a simple connection of the lips, it was just so wonderful it made them breathless.

Myungsoo wrapped his arms around Sungyeol's waist and buried his face into Sungyeol's neck with a shy smile. Sungyeol smiled and pulled Myungsoo as close to him as possible.

"I love you too, Sungyeol."

Autumn is soon upon them and while the leaves brown and drop away, Myungsoo and Sungyeol's love blossoms beautifully. While the flowers and trees wither and fade, Myungsoo and Sungyeol's love is young and fresh. They explore each other intimately and test the waters of their new relationship. The orange and yellow leaves make a crunchy cushion on which the young lovers share all their first touches. Their innocent love was the purest of its kind but unfortunately it could only be shown to the nonjudgmental natural environment.

Winter came and went filled with the cheerful laughter of Sungyeol and Myungsoo as they played in the snow. They built snowmen together and had snowball fights like they have been doing for the past sixteen years. But this time these activities were viewed in a new light. The pair was no longer playing as best friends but as lovers who couldn't be more in love. Late at night Sungyeol and Myungsoo made snow angels in the untouched snow while gazing at each other with affection.

Spring arrived with budding plants and blooming flowers. While nature grew, so did Myungsoo and Sungyeol's love for each other. Through all the time that passed, Sungyeol and Myungsoo could only express their true feelings for each other while no one was around, with the trees and birds as the only witness. But even though they had to hide their love from society, Myungsoo and Sungyeol were happy; just as long as they had their other half.

Summer descended and with it signalled that nearly a whole year had passed since Sungyeol and Myungsoo began this forbidden romance. By now they knew each other so well and was so aware of the other, they unconsciously revolved around each other. Even when Sungyeol and Myungsoo tried to act normal, people still noticed their chemistry, so great was their love. One time too many, someone had remarked about how if Myungsoo had been born a girl, he would definitely have become Sungyeol's wife or vice versa. On all these occasions, both boys’ hearts all but stopped, worried their secret would be unveiled.

One cool, but still warm, summer evening Sungyeol and Myungsoo were lying on the soft overgrown grass in the forest. Over the year it had become their place to be able to drop all appearances be who they actually were. On this fateful day Sungyeol and Myungsoo had been holding hands while lying down and simply enjoying each other's company while watching the stars and moon come out. They had shared a sweet kiss when one thing led to another. That night the young lovers finally consummated their love, with the most intimate act two people can perform. Their sensual moans filled the night air and beneath the shining moon, gave their heart and body to each other.

What Myungsoo and Sungyeol had together was a truly beautiful and pure love. But of course in the time the pair lived in, this sort of paradise could not last forever.

One day, almost a year since Myungsoo and Sungyeol had confessed to each other, Sungyeol was in politics class while Myungsoo was having combat practice. Sungyeol had his head propped on his hand, trying not to fall asleep listening to the royal tutor's lecture. At this time the Emperor's servant came on an errand. The tutor frowned at the interruption while Sungyeol rejoiced at being saved from boredom. Little did he know, his relief wouldn't last very long.

"I'm sorry Professor Lee, but the Emperor would like to see Prince Sungyeol immediately." Dongwoo bowed apologetically to the tutor.

"Of course, it's alright." Professor Lee waved his hand and dismissed Sungyeol, who jumped up in record speed and flew out the door.

On the way to the Emperor's study, Sungyeol tried to find out what this was all about. The 'immediately' part was a bit unusual and it seemed like this might be something important.

"Dongwoo, what does my father want to see me for?" Sungyeol asked, trying to look cute so the servant would tell him. Dongwoo only laughed at his antics and shook his head.

"I'm afraid I can't tell you, your highness." Dongwoo replied.

Soon enough, Sungyeol arrived at his father's study. There were no other servants around and the Emperor was pacing before his table.

"Your majesty, the Crown Prince has arrived." Dongwoo announced with a bow.

The Emperor turned and gave a slight smile to Dongwoo before dismissing him. "Thank you Dongwoo."

Dongwoo bowed once more before exiting and closing the doors, leaving Sungyeol alone with his father. Sungyeol stood in the middle of the room and started getting nervous when his father didn't start speaking straightaway.

"Sungyeol, I have an announcement to make." Emperor Howon started with a serious face. Sungyeol nodded, serious as well. The Emperor then continued without a change in facial expression.

"As of today, you are engaged to the Lady Jaemi."

At this, Sungyeol's eyes widened. He knew this was going to happen one day, but he wasn't ready yet. In fact he would never be ready to marry anyone besides a certain someone.

"I'm sorry father, I cannot marry her." Sungyeol managed to state once he got over the shock.

"This is not something you can reject. I have already decided it for you. Lady Jaemi is a lovely girl, the daughter of my most trusted, and most esteemed, advisor. What reason is there for you not to agree to this marriage?" Emperor Howon questioned sternly.

"I... I just can't. I can't marry someone I don't love." Sungyeol answered firmly.

At the mention of love however, Emperor Howon's faced changed for the worse and he frowned violently. His next words were spoken with such force and volume, that Sungyeol actually took a step back from surprise.

"Don't you dare bring that up, that word love. You think I am oblivious? I know about you and Myungsoo. I cannot believe that you, the Crown Prince of Korea and my son, could commit such a sin. It is shameful as it is f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter