Final

Other Than Me

“I really love myself than anybody else.”

The brunette-haired man stared at his own reflection in the mirror with a dreamy kind of smile. He was so busy admiring his reflection when suddenly the door behind him opened, revealing a flustered-looking girl with messy hair and crumpled skirt.

“Baekhyun! What the—”

Baekhyun jumped at the sight of the girl, and he promptly looked apologetically at her.

“What are you doing here? This is the men’s restroom—”

“I knew it! You never love me, don’t you? You are in love with yourself that you can’t even spare your time to spend with me! I really hate you so much, Byun Baekhyun!”

The girl turned and ran outside immediately. Baekhyun didn’t have the chance to catch up with her as she was already out of his sight when he left the restroom.

Well, so much for his narcissism.

 

 

It wasn’t like Baekhyun hated other people, but sometimes, once in a while; he felt an overwhelming love of himself when he looked at his reflection in the mirror or when people told him he was good-looking. And that brought his relationships with girls crashing onto the ground one by one.

Even so, he usually didn’t look so sad when he broke up with a girl after another. Because his love for himself overpowered his love for his girlfriends.

“Man, I really think you should change already,” Minseok once advised him when they were lounging in the cafeteria.

“Change is a little bit hard for me. Besides,” Baekhyun his lips while thinking about what to say, “there hasn’t been any girl who can make me fall for her. Like, falling really hard for her or stuff like that.”

“Hmm…don’t tell me you don’t like girls?”

Baekhyun widened his eyes at his friend’s verdict, and immediately shook his head.

“No way! I’m still normal, you know!”

“Well, you better start finding a girl that can throw your narcissism out of the window.”

Sighing, Baekhyun let his head drop onto the table.

 

 

A few days later, Baekhyun found himself incredibly whipped.

Flashback to a day before, when a new student, a male student at that, came strutting in the classroom, which completely took Baekhyun off guard.

“Hello, my name is Oh Sehun. I hope all of you will take good care of me.”

Back to the present, Baekhyun looked at Minseok who looked like he tried to hold his laughter.

“See what I told you? I knew it, you must be gay!”

“I-I-not like that!” Baekhyun found himself stuttering, which made him felt like cursing himself.

“Then tell me how come you dump your girlfriends with no hard feelings whatsoever when this new guy suddenly come to you and say—”

“It’s not like he comes to me, he just comes to this school, okay. He even sits far from me.”

“Well, if he didn’t come to you before, he is now.”

Baekhyun quickly turned around to find Sehun walking towards his general direction, which made his little heart skipping like a little kid would when he or she got a candy.

And to make it more dramatic, Sehun stopped right before his table, with a little tilt of his head and sparkling eyes and great lean but muscular body and—

Dear God, I should stop these thoughts before I ever got a chance to head into the forbidden territory.

“Hey, I seem to know you somewhere, by any chance, are we in the same homeroom?”

Baekhyun took a gulp of air before answering with an unmistakably sound of confirmation.

“Then can I borrow your notebook for the history class? I only had to get the notes for that class but no one seems to bother taking notes during that class.”

It just so happened that while Sehun was saying was true; Baekhyun was an exception of that particular classification. So, of course, he nodded (a little too eagerly, in Minseok’s humble opinion) and led the boy to the classroom to lend him the book right away.

“Thanks a lot,” Sehun looked at the book to find the name of the owner. “Byun Baekhyun-sshi.”

“Yeah, of course, no problem,” Baekhyun replied coolly, while his insides were cheering and dancing and basically just partying really hard.

 

 

By the end of the semester, Baekhyun could slowly accept the fact that he might be gay, which explained the whole narcissism he had (but not really, according to Minseok) and his carelessness for the girls. Then again, Baekhyun wasn’t sure if Sehun was the same as he was.

It was about ten in the morning when Baekhyun was messaged by Sehun.

Hey, Baekhyun-ah, I have something to tell you.

His heart skipped a beat again. Could it be that Sehun had the same feelings as he did and confessed to him?

Yes?

Biting his lips real hard, Baekhyun waited for the reply to come, but after waiting for about fifteen minutes, it didn’t come.

He frowned a little. Maybe Sehun fell asleep? But then again Baekhyun replied as soon as he accepted the message though. He might just be doing a prank now. Maybe now he was busy laughing his off at Baekhyun’s utter anticipation that he forgot to type a reply for him.

The negative thoughts made Baekhyun pout a little.

Just as he was leaving his room for shower, the phone beeped.

With speed as fast as lightning, he took the phone in his hand and read the message.

I’m moving after the end of this semester. Well, just to tell you so that you won’t be surprised when I suddenly disappear from the school.

His heart stopped for a while, his mouth hanged open, his stomach churned a little. It was really unexpected. Sehun only spent like almost a semester in the school, so why would he move so fast?

Why?

That was the only thing he could type back at the other boy. And thankfully, or not thankfully, he replied rather quickly this time.

Family stuff. It’s kind of hard to explain.

Baekhyun didn’t have any intention of replying the message anymore.

 

 

“I really love myself than anybody else.”

The brunette-haired man stared at his own reflection in the mirror with a grim line adorning his lips. He wasn’t really sure about the words, whether it still applied for him right now or not.

The phone settling by the sink kept on beeping nonstop. It took a few crying sessions and splashing his face with the cold water repeatedly for him to realize that it had been a phone call. And that there were almost twenty missed calls, all from Minseok.

At least Minseok had the courtesy to leave a voice call. Just one. But Baekhyun was sure that it would start with variety of curse words and end all the same.

But he decided to listen to it anyway.

After almost a minute of the cursing passed, Minseok finally relayed the real message for him.

“Dude, you know that Sehun is leaving the town, right? He told me already, and that he’s leaving now means you should man up or else I’ll wear a mask with your face on it and tell him that you love him. And no, don’t ask me where I got the mask from because I have it for a while now.”

That definitely struck something inside of Baekhyun. After another string of curse words, he decided to jump out of the window from the first floor.

He landed on the soft ground, thankfully. Running towards wherever he thought his legs were taking him on bare feet, he mulled over the decision to confess to the other boy today.

And he finally made it. To Oh family’s residence.

He didn’t expect to find Sehun sitting on the porch of the house, wearing thick autumn clothes complete with the coat and scarf, looking rather startled at the appearance of Baekhyun wearing a white singlet and black shorts with the bare feet.

“Baekhyun-ah! What are you doing, wearing minimal clothes during the fall season?”

By that time, he only realized it, as he fell on his knees shivering uncontrollably. Sehun hurriedly came to the other boy, taking off his coat and scarf to wrap around the other boy.

“Don’t go,” Baekhyun whispered once Sehun was done tying the scarf around Baekhyun’s neck.

Sehun looked rather surprised at the words. “Why shouldn’t I go?”

“Because I love you.” The words suddenly felt strange after he let it out, but not really, according to himself. “I like you ever since the day you enter the classroom, and I only realize now I love you…a lot. I don’t think I can bear seeing you leave this town. So please stay.”

Sehun looked at the boy sadly, complete with the sad smile. “I know you like me.”

Baekhyun looked shocked. “Really?”

“Yes. It’s just that I wonder if I also like you the way you like me. And I only realize it now that I do. I love you, maybe. But I can’t stay.”

“Why can’t you just stay if you do like me that way?” Baekhyun felt like begging on his knees just to keep Sehun by his side. No one had been so successful in making him forget about the narcissistic line he often said.

“I told you, family stuff. My mother—”

“Honey! We are not moving!” A middle-aged woman suddenly came running out of nowhere and hugged Sehun, leaving both boys confused.

“W-what Mom?” Sehun asked stiffly.

“We’ll stay here! I just found someone! He’s so handsome, and he’s tall, just like you, only taller, and he’s got a face like those Italian sculptures back in the museum in Daegu! I met him in the travel agency, and he was all like ‘no, Miss Oh, you shouldn’t leave because I’ll be here for you’ and I just melted right away!”

“So…we’re not moving?”

“Yes! We’re staying!”

Sehun looked at Baekhyun, a happy expression started overwhelming his face.

Baekhyun was speechless, but otherwise he felt relieved more than ever.

 

 

“Hey, Baekhyun-ah.”

“Hmm?”

“Can I borrow your history notes?”

“You must be one of those kids who are too lazy to take notes during history class.”

“Well, you know me so well. We’re dating, after all.”

Baekhyun just threw the notebook violently at Sehun’s face, hoping that it would ruin the boy’s face real badly, so that maybe he could pick up his narcissism act back on track, except he didn’t truly wish for that.

For loving himself and another person (with the right amount for each, of course) was already good enough for him.