Yesung's Present

Korean Dream

The driver squeezed his eyes to be able to see something, because of the burning sun – a futile attempt. The father noticed the old man not being able to stop before the would get hit by the massive car and quickly pushed his beloved daughter away.
The next thing she saw, when opening her eyes again was her father, covered by green leaves.
Green leaves of tea everywhere. She wanted to stand up and run over to him, but her legs failed.
They got crushed by the rusty, heavy bumper of the car, just as her father's ribcage, and she fainted.

 

From that day on, all she does is help inside the house. She cleans. She cooks. She stitches holes in clothes. She'd do anything, as long as that would not mean working with these leaves again.
They were everywhere.
All over her father's body.
Everywhere.

 

~

 

This dramatic loss, however, is not in Yesung's mind either, because all he can think of is Leeteuk. Just as Yesung finishes his meal, somebody is knocking on the door.
His mother is not even possible to follow Yesung with her eyes, because he is so fast and so excited, that even the wooden bowl nearly falls down onto the carpet.

 

How does it feel to get older, hmm?”, Leeteuk starts the conversation, with his usual grin on his face. Yesung throws his arms around his best friend and doesn't even invite him in.

 

In the past Leeteuk's family used to have their home only 10 minutes away, but in a forest fire the house burnt down. Luckily nobody was hurt, but the devastating flames swallowed everything they had. His father had a little carpenter's shop, so he was living on the wood he could find in the surrounding forest, so the only choice they had, was to move somewhere with more trees.

 

Now it takes Leeteuk about an hour to get to his friend by bike, so they can rarely ever meet.
But all that does not matter in Yesung's mind right now, because he is finally here.
Leeteuk – the best birthday present he could ever get.