Common Day

Korean Dream

A sweat drop falls from Yesung's forehead onto the crumbly dry soil as he throws some fresh aromatic leaves with a practised movement in the basket on his back. Slowly he rises his upper body from the crouched position he was in, when he picked the tea from his family's tea field.
He'd much rather go and play with his friends, however, his mother needs every help she can get on the plantation, especially since his father passed away two years ago.

A few meters away said mother noticed Yesung staring into the sky. 
“I know it's hard for a 16 year-old boy not to be able to play with his friends, but I beg you to help me get the harvest in.”, she begged exhausted.
Yesung didn't reply, shook his daydream off and carried on picking the fleshy leaves.

It was a pretty common day for Yesung on the field, but the evening was different.
While eating his Bibimbap all he could think of was his best friend Leeteuk, who promised to pick him up later to go and have a night walk.
Normally Yesung's family can't afford to cook Bibimbap, but today was a special day – Yesung's birthday. All day long his little sister was working in the kitchen as hard as she could to make her big brother, her idol, put a smile on his face.

Her endeavours are quite rare, since she is bound to a wheelchair. Two years ago she and her father went to the market to sell the tea Yesung's father and mother used to pick. It was a burningly hot day and as they were walking along the road, they noticed a car behind them.
It was an elderly man with a seemingly even older, empty pick-up truck, so the father waved him to stop and take him and his exhausted little daughter to the next town, to get her some rest.

The car did not stop.