final

Not My Thing

For the last hour you were seriously contemplating opening the car door and jumping out. With each minute that passed the idea just seemed to get better and better, and it skyrocketed when your sister started to belt out to taylor swift and uhhh this was just not your day.

“Don’t worry I promise it’ll be fun” Your mom’s longtime boyfriend cooed as you banged your head against the window for the umpteenth time during this drive. You stared daggers to the back of his head once he turned around. It was his damned fault you were on this “family adventure”, on your way to learn how to rock climb.

You hated all types of physical activity and were adamant about not going when you were woken up at the crack of dawn, by the crazy for fitness man. However, despite your insistent protests, your mom’s death glare was enough to get your lazy into the car. You were regretting so many life choices at this point.

Finally the building came into view and you heavily sighed just to make sure your family knew you weren’t happy (as if the straight hour of complaining wasn’t enough). “Just so we’re clear” you started “I’m not doing anything, even if that means sitting on a bench for three hours.” Your mom rolled her eyes but didn’t protest, because she knew it was a miracle to have even gotten you this far.

True to your word, as soon as you as you entered, the building, you sought out the closest bench, stuck your earphones in and began what you hoped to be a three hour marathon of xiuhan fanfiction. Twenty minutes into your escapade you jump at the sensation of a warm breath against your ear. Seeing an extremely handsome young man, you fumble pulling out your earphones. He giggled at your clumsy reaction and started, “What are you doing here all alone?” Still dumbfounded  you look at him skeptically and he continues. “I mean most people who are customers at a rock climbing facility usually find themselves rock climbing.” You slightly scoff at his sarcasm and answered, “Ye, I was dragged out here by my family and rock climbing isn’t really my thing.” He smiled once more, surprisingly grabbing your hands and pulling you up from your sitting position. “We’ll see what I can do about that.”

He dragged you away from the general climbing area and brought you to a separate room, where a smaller wall was located. There was another man sitting in there, and who looked up at the intrusion and spoke to the a who had brought me. “Hey what’s up Kyungsoo, who is this?” The man who you learned was Kyungsoo looked down at you expectantly and you realized he was waiting for you to answer. “Oh hi, ummm I’m _____”

 

Kyungsoo smiled “That’s a really beautiful name.”

 

You gave almost no reaction, despite fact you were going crazy inside, instead settling for a mumble of “Thanks.”

 

Kyungsoo chuckled once more before turning to his friend. “Hey Chanyeol, do you mind if I borrow this room for a little bit, I need to give this pretty lady here some private lessons.”

You were internally screaming over the fact he called you pretty.

 

“No problem buddy, I have to meet Baek for lunch anyways.” he gave a small wave before exiting the room.

“Now where were we?... ah yes I’m here to make rock climbing your quote on quote “thing”. Which means you need to get strapped up.” He pointed to a wall full of equipment. You were still hesitant but to be honest he was really ing hot so you just decided to screw it and started putting the equipment on. He followed you lead, and soon he was strapping you up to the wall.

 

“So the first step is…”

You never let him finish, as you began climbing the wall by yourself. It wasn’t like you were protesting because you couldn’t do it, you just didn’t want to. Besides, you kinda wanted to show off, so you went for it, climbing as quickly as you can. So busy obsessing on looking good, you suddenly lost your footing and began to fall, but to your relief and embarrassment, Kyungsoo was right there and pulled you to him, before you could fall back.

His hot breath gave you goose bumps, as his mouth was right against your neck. He began scolding, “and this is why you should have waited for my instruction” You wanted to crawl up in a ball and die, because god dammit, you just made a huge of yourself.

 

“I’m sorry” you whisper, not wanting to admit your mistake. He sighed once, before reassuring you that it was okay, but not before making you promise you would listen to everything he says from this point.

 

Slowly he guided you up the wall, holding steady the entire way up, making your heart beat at the closeness. You were so happy right now, and your heart just implodes once you make it to the top, and he gives you the most prideful expression. “Good Job” he whispered, once again much too close for comfort, your lips mere centimeters away from each other.

 

However, then it hits you. You were being absolutely delusional. There was no way that this handsome man liked you. He was just being kind, because he felt sorry for your miserable self sitting all alone on the bench. You mood immediately dropped, and you shyly asked him to let you down. Looking at you skeptically, he removed himself first and then ushered you down, catching you as you propelled yourself off the wall.

 

You feel your phone vibrate and know it’s your mom wondering where you are. You start making your escaping, turning to Kyungsoo and thanking him. “I enjoyed today very much, thank you for taking your time to help me have some fun.” For some odd reason he was frowning. You slightly bowed and started making your way out the door, but he grabbed your arm and turned you toward him. Staring you down he began to open his mouth to talk, but was interrupted by a high pitched squeal of “OPPA!!!!” Both of you turned toward the door, and you see a pretty girl, running  and jumping into Kyungsoo’s arms. “Oppa I’m ready for your lesson.” You heart sunk. You were just another person he was helping, besides how could he ever like you when there was a much prettier girl in his arms at the very minute.

 

Feeling your phone vibrate once again, you took this moment of distraction to take off. You ran as fast as you could, meeting your family at the front. Red faced (and not because of you running) You mother looked at you questioningly and began to nag about your whereabouts. Giving her some lame excuse, you started out to the car, wanting to just go home and wallow in self pity. However, half way out to the parking lot, you hear someone shouting “wait”. You turned and saw Kyungsoo flagging you down and eventually jogging to you. “Why did you leave so quickly?” He questioned sadly.

 

You replied, “It looked like you were busy, and I didn't want to be a burden and take all your time. You don’t have to feel sorry for me.”

 

“Feel sorr… First of all, you were never being a burden. Second, I didn’t feel sorry for you. I wanted to spend time with you, I don’t just give anybody private lessons for free.”

 

“But what about the girl from just now”

 

“Ye her father gives me $200 a month for private lessons. I have to find someway to pay for college. And just so you know, only the girl I really like gets the 100% discount.”

 

You blushed and he laughed beautifully, with a perfect smile as an accompaniment.

 

He continued, “So with that in mind, will you come see me again, I mean as like a date?”

You nodded eagerly and that was the beginning of  your everlasting relationship with the male, and you can say without hesitation, that rock climbing was now and forever your “thing”.

 
 
 
 
 
Comments are life...