Waiting

Waiting

At first Han Soojin was excited to be invited to her boyfriend's dorm for the first time. Things have been crazy with him preparing another solo album so they haven't spent much time together. Soojin loved their car dates, but at one point she decided they needed more. Understanding that idols have hectic lives is one thing, but to have been cancelled on so many times, it hurts; a lot. Sunggyu's answer was to invite her to the dorm. That way he can relax and they can spend time together. Woohyun had let her in. After greeting the rest of the members, they all mysteriously disappeared.

 

Soojin knew they were just trying to give Sunggyu some space to be with her, but she felt really awkward sitting in their apartment alone. For the hundredth time she let her eyes wonder over the various photos, posters and awards lining the walls. She stared at her reflection in the TV and considered turning it on. She glanced at the end and coffee tables, not seeing any remotes.

 

"I don't want to seem too at home..." she trailed off to herself. "Great," she face palmed, "now I'm talking to myself out loud." She glanced at her watch and sighed. He was two hours late. She looked up at the poster for Sunggyu's first solo album. Standing in front of it she pointed at him, "I can't stay too late Sunggyu-oppa. I've already waited two hours." Sighing again, Soojin plopped herself down on the couch and kept talking with the poster Sunggyu.

 

JOK, JOK, JOK! Soojin slapped her cheeks to wake herself up. Rubbing her eyes she glanced at her watch once again. Alarmed, she stood quickly. It was already 10:20pm! She had been there for almost five hours. Searching for her phone she saw two missed calls, voicemails, and one text message. One of the calls and voicemail was from Sunggyu explaining how the studio was having problems and that he'll be late. The other call and text was from her best friend.

 

"Oh My God! Soojin! Answer your phone! Please tell me you are with Sunggyu because there's a bunch of netizen articles about Sunggyu with one of the A-Pink members! Call me back ASAP!"

 

BEEP! The operator for her voicemail system droned on about her options but Soojin could only hear her blood rushing. Some part of her actually hung up the phone, but Soojin wasn't paying attention to anything besides her heart shredding. Instead of getting sad, she just got angry. The door beeped signaling someone was home. Soojin closed her eyes hoping for one of the other members and not Sunggyu. He couldn't see her this angry, not again. In...two...three...four. Out...two...three...four. Soojin went through her breathing exercises trying to calm her anger and pulse. His scent was there. Faint at first and growing stronger. She tried to ignore it and focus on her breathing more, but with each deep breath she only managed to strengthen his scent.

 

Soojin slowly opened her eyes to meet Sunggyu's. He was standing in front of the coffee table watching her. She could see it in his eyes, he was angry. You're not allowed to be angry! she screamed at him in her head. You're the one that's having a scandal with a girl group member! As her inner self screamed his head off, she somehow managed to stay calm on the outside.

 

"You're finally home? That's good. I was going to leave soon."

 

Sunggyu just looked at her, surprised how calm she was. "About tonight," he paused unsure, "I'm really sorry. Things got really messed up at the studio. And in all honestly A-Pink was actually there. Just to record a duet for my album though. That's all. I swear. The pictures they're posting are photoshopped. We only worked and I came straight here as soon as I could."

 

"Okay..." Soojin didn't know what else to say. I know it may not seem like it, but I trust you completely, she thought to herself. "Netizens can be weird. Did you eat dinner?"

 

"Yeah..." Sunggyu moved to sit down by Soojin on the couch. "When did you need to leave by?"

 

"Honestly?" she asked. Sunggyu nodded and she took a deep breath. "I needed to leave around 8:30-9:00pm. I have a meeting early tomorrow and need to make sure I have everything prepared."

 

They sat in silence for a few minutes as Sunggyu realized they weren't going to get to spend much time together again.

 

"I'm sorry Soojin-ah, really." Soojin just stared straight ahead. She saw Sunggyu approach in her peripheral, but she wouldn't forgive him easily this time. Standing her ground, Sunggyu gave in and just kissed her cheek. As soon as she felt his lips touch her cheek she felt her insides melt.

 

If I don't leave now I'll be here for a while, Soojin thought and quickly stood up. "I'm sorry Oppa, but I really need to get going. At least I got to see your face."

 

A switch flipped and they both were lost.

 

"My face? You haven't so much as looked at me since I walked in. Seriously, what are you angry about now?" Sunggyu sounded tired and frustrated. Soojin stopped in her tracks, caught off guard.

 

"Excuse me?" she turned fuming.

 

"My face," Sunggyu gestered, "this is only the second time you're looking at it tonight. Forget that, the second time in the past two weeks. Why can't you just be happy to see me and just ignore everything else?"

 

Soojin tried taking a deep breath, but seeing Sunggyu angry had caused her own rage to break free. "I am happy to see you. But that's not all. I feel angry, disappointed, confused, happy, embarrassed and in shock. I understand that it's just work, but can't you be careful." She waved at Sunggyu to stop before he could interrupt her. "I know it's just netizens trying to make stories and stuff, but really. They wouldn't just say it because there isn't something there. They just don't put random people together. I saw the photos; she's totally into you. I know they aren't photoshopped. I'm not stupid. I can tell they were taken in front of the studio. Have you forgot I've been there before."

 

Soojin tried to get back in control of her breathing. Sunggyu stood, his face contorted with anger and pain. "Stupid? Well yeah, maybe you are. I told you. Why can't you trust me? What is so wrong with you. Maybe we shouldn't keep doing this. You don't want to see me anyway. Whenever I have time you always cut it short or cancel. I can't keep doing this. If you don't want to put in the effort anymore, okay. We can end it here."

 

Soojin was completely flabbergasted. How could you suggest breaking up? She stared at her boyfriend and a thought popped in. He's been thinking about it. Probably to be with that young girl. Of course he would. She's an idol and understands his scheduling more. Plus they could date at work. He really wants to break up. Soojin stared at Sunggyu as a million thoughts raced around her skull. "Is that what you really want?" she finally managed to croak out.

 

Sunggyu stared at his girlfriend and tried to put his rage aside. I don't want to do this. Please calm down, he chanted to himself. We can't lose her. She's everything to us. We NEED her. She turned and started walking towards the door. STOP HER! his inner voice screamed. His body wouldn't move. He tried, but he felt like he was paralyzed. The door beeped as it shut and he collapsed on the couch, his body giving out.

 

Soojin walked towards the bus stop and stared across the street. Deciding she wanted to walk some more she changed routes, walking around a small park nearby. She saw a group of men drinking nearby. They noticed her and she pretended she didn't see them and tried walking past. One came up to her, clearly in his forties. He bumped into her and apologized on drunk feet and just so happened to trip and catch her . Soojin tried to push him off but he was holding on to her with all of his dead weight.

 

The other drunks laughed as she tried to push the man off of her. He started squeezing with his hands and Soojin struggled harder.

 

"Issh okay girlie," he slurred out, "I won' hurtcha."

 

Soojin struggled harder, pushing at his arms. Why did I have to wear such a short skirt and heels for Sunggyu, she thought trying to gain leverage. She felt a tug and almost fell back. The man's arms were thrown off and she felt a stronger, more defined arm wrap around her waist. She smelled him again and tried to keep from crying. The drunk got up and stumbled back to his friends, bowing in apology partway. Sunggyu's arm tightened on her waist and he started leading her back towards his apartment.

 

She could feel the anger emanating from him and tried to keep her tears from falling. Suddenly he pulled Soojin into a small alley and pushed her up against the brick wall.

 

"What is wrong with you?" he said with quiet anger. "How could you let that drunk touch you like that?"

 

"I didn't," Sunggyu cut her off with his lips pushing against her own. He was angry and it showed. As his lips forced their way against her, she felt his teeth nip at her bottom lip. He pushed into her with his body as his tongue forced his way into . Soojin fought it knowing he would hate himself tomorrow, but she liked it when he was a little rougher. Her insides were a mess and eventually they both came up for air. As they stood panting, their breaths mingling together Soojin realized she loved him, and nothing was over.

 

"I love you," she whispered, part of her hoping he didn't hear it.

 

"I love you too," Sunggyu whispered back before claiming her lips once again. This time it was soft and gentle. His lips slowly persuading Soojin's to open up for him, just like their hearts.

 

Soojin went back with Sunggyu to his apartment that night. The members didn't come home until late, only to find Sunggyu on the couch holding a sleeping Soojin. A couple of the members made jabs as they walked by, but Sunggyu just rubbed Soojin's hair and whispered to her sleeping form.

 

"They're just jealous baby. I love you." With one last kiss, Sunggyu snuggled closer and slowly drifted asleep.