Chapter 23

The Choice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joong-ki slowly hold Chae-won’s hand. He can feel her hand’s cold as an ice. Without a word coming from their mouth, they’re holding hands while praying for Jin-hyuk. Chae-won cried silently, but then she heard Joong-ki said something with a low voice, almost like a whisper but hard enough for her to hear what is he saying. “You can’t go now Jin-hyuk ssi…. I know you can make it. Ani… You should make it.” Chae-won look up to her boyfriend, then look to Jin-hyuk with doctors beside him.  She lean her head to Joong-ki’s chest and closed her eyes, she really don’t want to see that flat line. She’s not ready yet to see what happen next since her thought full of bad things.

 

 

Gwang-soo is in hospital’s canteen with Woo-bin when Jong-kook called him. “Ne hyung?”

 

“Gwang-soo ah, where are you right now?”

 

“I’m still at hospital hyung, wae?”

 

“Have you seen the news about Ladies’ Code?”

 

“……I haven’t heard or seen any news about them…”

 

“They got an accident Gwang-soo ah. A fatal car crash accident….”

 

“J….Jinjja? B…but they’re okay, right?” Gwang-soo obviously nervous waiting his hyung’s answer.

 

“2 of them dead…”

 

“Who??? It’s not Rise, right?” Heard no response from his hyung, he talks again want his confirmation. “Hyung, please answer me…..it’s not her, right?”

 

“It’s her, Gwang-soo ah… Mianhae….. Gwang-soo ah, I’ll come to you in a minute. Wait there.” Jong-kook disconnects the line.

 

Seeing Gwang-soo starred blankly at his phone, Woo-bin starts worried about him. “Hyung, are you okay?”

 

“Hm? Yeah…. No…. I…. I’m….” Gwang-soo’s hand starts trembling. “I…. I’ve lost one of my best friends today.”

 

“I heard you said Rise….. Is it Kwon Rise from Ladies’ Code? Or maybe another Ri…….”

 

Gwang-soo cut his words. “It’s her….” Gwang-soo sighed.

 

“Jongmal?? Hyung, I’m sorry to hear that…”

 

There’s a long silence between them, but when Gwang-soo about to response Woo-bin, they heard a nurse talking with her friends. “Yah yah! Have you heard news about Jin-hyuk ssi?”

 

“Choi Jin-hyuk? Ani, wae?”

 

“He has cardiac arrest just now and Dr. Hwang currently doing CPR on him.”

 

“Omo!! Jinjja???”

 

Both Gwang soo and Woo-bin looked at each other when they heard that news and a moment later they rushed to elevator headed to Jin-hyuk’s room. On their way, Gwang-soo sends a text message to Ji-hyo.

 

 

“O… Oppa, I guess you don’t need to take a shower. We should go to hospital now.” Said Ji-hyo after she received a message and when she saw Jong-kook take off his shirt.

 

“Wae??”

 

Ji-hyo show him a message from Gwang-soo to let him read by himself. ‘Noona, Jin-hyuk’s blood pressure dropped and he has cardiac arrest just now.’ Jong-kook look at Ji-hyo who is about to cry. He then wear his clothe again and patted Ji-hyo’s back. “We’ll go now Ji-hyo ah.” Jong-kook take a car key on a desk and both of them rushed to parking lot. On their way to hospital, Jong-kook didn’t let go of Ji-hyo’s hand and he keep assured his girlfriend to remain calm and said that Jin-hyuk’s gonna be okay.

 

 

Chae-won still close her eyes and lean her head on Joong-ki chest. When she heard a door being opened, she immediately turn her body. “We almost lost him but he can make it. We still need to keep an eye on him since his condition isn’t stabile yet.” Said Dr. Hwang that bring a relieved to Joong-ki and Chae-won.

 

“Thank you so much Doc….” Said Joong-ki while giving him a bow.

 

“That’s my job isn’t it? To save people’s life.” Dr. Hwang smiled at Joong-ki and Chae-won. Dr. Hwang then look at his patient through the window. “But, to be honest I’m not the one who saved him, it’s Choi Jin-hyuk ssi itself who has a big spirit to stay alive. I won’t make it if he doesn’t has that kind of spirit.” Dr. Hwang look at Chae-won’s pale face. “Anyway, Chae-won ssi you should rest. Even though you just has minor injuries, but your condition still weak.”

 

“Yes Doc, I will surely take a rest after this.” Dr. Hwang gave them a smile and leave.

 

“Did you heard him? You should take your time to rest! Chae-won ah, please stop making me worried about you…. How can I leave you when your condition is still weak?”

 

“I….I’m sorry to make you worried, oppa….. I’m just…….”

 

Seeing Chae-won’s sad face making him realize that his word’s a bit harsh. Joong-ki pull her to his embrace. “I totally understand that you’re worried about him, but please take care of yourself first. From now on, I will be the one who will be your eyes to watch Jin-hyuk’s condition, ne?” Chae-won just nodded her head. “Ok, let’s go to your room.”

 

When they stand in front of elevator, the elevator’s door and they meet Gwang-soo and Woo-bin. “Oh Joong-ki ah, I heard Jin-hyuk’s life is in danger, how is he?”

 

“Yeah, we almost lost him, but don’t worry he can make it…”

 

“Can you please watch him for a while? I should take her back to her room.”

 

“Of course hyung, we will watch him.” Said Woo-bin.

 

Joong-ki help Chae-won to lay down on her bed. “Do you need anything before sleep? Perhaps water or food?”

 

“No, I’m okay oppa.”

 

Joong-ki look at a watch from his phone. “Oh, it’s a time for you to take your medecin, right?” He took a pill and a glass of water on a desk beside her bed and pass it to her. “Here.”

 

“Gomawo oppa….” Said Chae-won after drinks it and she lay down again.

 

“You better try to sleep now, I won’t leave.”

 

“Oppa, you don’t have to stay here watching my condition and Jin-hyuk oppa’s condition on your vacation. You still remember your promise, right?”

 

“Yes, I do still remember my promise but………..I don’t know, I just feel I want to stay beside you until you’re fully recover.”

 

“Oppa, your parents needs to see you. I bet they still don’t know about you having vacation for a week and you haven’t told them yet too.”

 

“But I……..”

 

“Oppa please, you have to spend your time with your family too. Take a couple days for them and you can come back. I promise I’ll be good here, I will follow everythings doctors said, and I promise to get better than my condition now.”

 

Joong-ki sighed. “Fine. I will visit my family tomorrow but you have to keep your promise, okay?” Joong-ki raised his little finger towards his girlfriend. “Pinky promise?”

 

Chae-won chuckled by Joong-ki’s sudden act. “Pingky promise.” Chae-won interwined her little finger with his.

 

“Okay, now go to sleep.” Joong-ki kissed Chae-won’s forehead and hold her hand until she fall asleep.

 

 

Ji-hyo and Jong-kook walk fast towards Jin-hyuk’s room and they met Gwang-soo and Woo-bin who currently talking and sit on a bench. “Gwang-soo ah, how is he?” Ji-hyo ask Gwang-soo right away.

 

“Joong-ki said we almost lost him, but it’s relieve that he can make it. Seems like he like playing with us.”

 

“Yeah, indeed. She almost fainted when she got your message about him.” Said Jong-kook while put his arm around Ji-hyo’s waist, but then he moved towards Gwang-soo and gave him a brotherly hug. “I’m sorry about Rise. Be strong my dongsaeng….”

 

Gwang-soo almost forgot about that sad news. His expression went blank when his hyung mention that name. “Hyung, I…..I’m okay. She…..she….”

 

Ji-hyo now hugs Gwang-soo while rubbing his back. “I totally understand your feeling right now Gwang-soo ah, if you want to cry, just cry. Don’t hold it.”

 

The moment Gwang-soo heard his noona’s word, tears slowly flowing from his eyes. “Noona, I…..I promise her to fetch her and we will have our very first date this e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter