CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

Mending A Broken Heart

Author's Note I: Hello! How are my awesome readers doing? :D I really wanted to update sooner but nobody guessed my age correctly. Well, only one of you actually tried guessing. Haha! I'm not sure if I should be flattered or worried that you thought that I was as young as 15, haha, but no, I'm not 15. And I can assure you that I'm no longer a teenager. XD Imma keep you try guessing my exact age so here's a hint, I'm older than all B.A.P members. HAHAHAHA! So anyways, here's a new chapter for y'all. I hope you'll enjoy it! ^^

 

Chapter 24 - Yongguk's Ideal Type?

It has not even been five minutes after Yongguk shut his eyes and here he is again, back at the very place where his life suddenly turned upside down – the Beethoven Café. Everything seems to appear normal, though. Nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. There aren’t that many customers tonight so the surrounding is rather quiet, with only the sound of the soothing, classical music filling the small space.

This café was actually one of his favourite places to go to, especially with Jihye, who was then his girlfriend. In fact, this was where he took her on their very first date and boy, did they have a really great time! Over time, they began to come here more often, either to simply grab a cup of coffee and talk or have a very romantic dinner date. It had become like their special place over the period of their relationship.

Just like on that night, Jihye is now sitting in front of him, looking insanely beautiful in her white, skater dress. Yongguk actually had a few complaints of her outfit before they got here, considering the fact that she is wearing such a short dress on a freezing, winter night. But then again, it is his job to protect her, to shield her from the cold and so, he reluctantly let it slide, much to the girl’s delight.

Their date actually started off pretty normal. They talked about many things. They talked about their day, about work and they even planned on setting up the forever-alone Himchan on a blind date. Yongguk really would not have expected the night to end so badly until Jihye suddenly brings up a particular name into their conversation. He is not particularly a jealous guy, no, but there is just something about the way she talks about the guy that makes him feel rather uncomfortable. So he tries to dodge any topic involving that name at all costs. This, in turn, makes Jihye a bit frustrated and that is when all the arguments begin.

The two starts to quarrel with one another and although they often had fights every now and then, nothing was ever as bad as tonight. Yongguk grows even more frustrated when he realises that the girl is ignoring him and instead, staring off at another direction with a little smirk on her face. He really feels like he is talking to a wall or something. Curious, he follows her gaze and suddenly, everything seems to be moving in slow motion. Just like in the movies.  

There is a girl, sitting alone just a few tables away from them but somehow, he cannot see her face clearly. It is as if something is blurring her face. He tries squinting her eyes, he even rubs his eyes a few times hoping to get a better focus but nothing is working. Nothing at all. And for some reason, not being able to see her face really irks him so much that he feels like throwing a tantrum right there and then. Well, he actually does. In his sleep.

“Yongguk?” Yongguk flinches a bit upon hearing Jihye’s soft voice calling his name, but that is still not enough to wake him up as the guy continues thrashing his hands around like a madman.

“Yongguk?” the girl tries again; this time, with a little shake on his shoulder.

“Yongguk-ah, wake up! It’s just a dream!”

With one final shake on the shoulder, Yongguk finally sits up with a startle, now completely awake. His forehead is glistening with sweat as his chest rises up and down in heavy breaths. It takes him quite a while to register what just happened. He was having a nightmare again. But this time, it was rather different. The dream did not focus on his break-up as it usually did and instead, it focused on a girl. A girl that he would really like to know or see her face. A girl that he somehow feels strongly connected to for some odd reason.

“Y- Yongguk? Are you alright?” Jihye’s voice suddenly takes him away from his thoughts; he has almost forgotten about the girl, or even the fact that he has fallen asleep by her bed in the hospital.

“I- I’m fine,” he clears his throat rather awkwardly before fixing his gaze to the girl in a hospital gown beside him, “How are you feeling?”

Jihye’s heart suddenly sinks at the question, not knowing exactly how to respond. Her eyes then wander around the room, taking in every detail of it. From the antiseptic smell lingering in the air to the blank, white walls surrounding her and from the different tubes and wires connected to her body to the beeping sound of the monitor as it records her heartbeat. She is currently in the hospital, and it does not take a genius to know that the man beside her has figured everything out. The doctor has probably already informed him about her pregnancy.

As evident from the monitor on her right, her heart suddenly starts to beat a little faster than normal. But of course, it is not fast enough to consider it as threatening either to her or the growing living thing in her stomach. The girl is just a little nervous. Her mind is now a tangled mess of emotions, doubts and hopes as she thinks of ways to break it to Yongguk. Well, she somehow knows that he already knows about it but still, he needs to hear it from herself.

In all honesty, Yongguk does not really have to know about the pregnancy, as he has got nothing to do with it, at all. During the two years they were together, they had never gone further than kissing. Sure, they had made out several times but that was it. Both Jihye and Yongguk were quite the conservative type of people and they had agreed to wait until after marriage to consummate their relationship. And that is, most probably, why she is very hesitant to talk about the pregnancy with him right now. Jihye is… well, embarrassed. She can already imagine the mocking laugh he would give once she tells him about it.

“Who’s the father?” Yongguk asks again, breaking the painful silence in the room, “Is it him?”

Jihye’s eyes widen slightly for a moment, a bit taken aback by his sudden questions. She had expected him to do so but what she did not expect was how straightforward the man was, asking those rather personal questions. She then shifts slightly on the bed and clears before giving him a hesitant shake of her head as a no.

“It’s not him,” she then mutters softly yet, quite firmly as if to prove her point that it really is not who he think it is.

“Well, well, well… looks like our Jihye-ssi has certainly changed a lot,” Yongguk chuckles mockingly.

“Are you making fun of me?!” Jihye spits back, clearly irritated.

“Maybe.”

“Well, you have certainly changed as well, Bang Yongguk, in case you haven’t noticed! You’ve grown to be such an insensitive, heartless bastard!”

“Oh yeah? And who do you think was the cause of that?”

Once again, Jihye’s heart sinks to deepest pit in her stomach when the realisation hits her. , agape and yet, nothing seems to come out, not even a single word or sound. She just sits still on the bed, completely frozen as the feeling of guilt and regret spread throughout her body. Of course, it was all her fault. She changed him. Her stupidity changed someone who used to be so caring, so thoughtful and soft-spoken into a very rude, insensitive demon that he is now. Everything was all her fault and there is nothing she could do to change it. If only there were a time machine, if only

Tears unconsciously roll down her face as the girl is reminded back of the bittersweet past, and Yongguk suddenly feels bad. He had not meant to make the girl cry, nor did he mean to sound so mean and insensitive. He really thought that the anger inside him had long gone and forgotten but, maybe not, and it definitely got the best of him, much to his disappointment. He should have been better than that.

 “I’m sorry,” he sighs, realising his mistake, “I didn’t mean to offend you, I was just…”

“I understand, Yongguk,” Jihye cuts him off, “And I’m sorry, too. I really am so sorry for cheating on you, for breaking your heart, for causing you so much pain. Just… for everything.”

Silence envelops the two as they stare at each other for a moment. A sense of relief washes over them little by little. It feels like the burden that has been bothering them for so long is suddenly lifted off of their shoulders. Their parting was just so sudden and so difficult for them to take, especially on the male’s part. And although there are still quite a few unanswered questions, a simple apology was enough to heal a tiny wound in both their hearts at the time.

“It’s late, you should go back to sleep,” Yongguk is the one to break the quietness surrounding the room, yet again.

“Alright, but how about you? Aren’t you going home?” replies Jihye with a genuinely concerned voice.

“I am, but I’ll only leave once you go to sleep.”

“Are you going to be here again tomorrow?” Jihye asks softly as the guy helps her back into bed.

Yongguk ignores her question for a moment, tucking her safely into bed, before heaving a sigh. He really wants to be there for her, to help her, but would it be fair to Minzy? He really does not want her to misunderstand his intention. Not that there is anything to be misunderstood or misconceived, anyway. He only wants to help Jihye because he kind of feels responsible as a friend, and that is it, nothing more. Besides, the nurse did say that he’s the only one in the girl’s contact list, so that probably means that she has nobody else right now, and that makes him want to help her even more.

After so much thought, he finally and hesitantly nods his head. “I’ll be here first thing in the morning so, don’t worry, okay? Just go to sleep and get some rest,” he assures.

“Thank you,” she smiles at him.

“No problem. Now, go to sleep. You have a lot of explaining to do tomorrow.”

And with that, Jihye shuts her eyes with a slightly heavy feeling in her chest. Yongguk was right, she really does have a lot to explain, and she cannot help but feel nervous about it. And the thought of having a good night’s sleep suddenly seems rather unlikely.

Despite everything, Jihye wakes up the next morning feeling better and a little bit relieved. One of the things she hates the most is probably having to wake up every morning, alone. The forlorn feeling of loneliness whenever that happens is just too much for her to handle, as she has always been surrounded by people who showers her with love ever since she was a baby. Being alone has never entered her book until the day she found out that she was pregnant and got kicked out of her house in the very same day.

That relieved feeling, however, disappears as soon as it came. As much as she likes and appreciates having a company when she wakes up, the person standing by the window is definitely not who she has been expecting. In fact, she is the very last person Jihye has expected to see. Not that she has anything against the girl, though. Even still, she cannot help but feel rather awkward around her.

“Oh, Jihye-ssi, you’re awake!” Minzy states with a rather happy smile as she walks closer towards the bed, “How are you feeling today? Did you have a good night’s sleep?”

“Uh- uh- yeah,” Jihye could only stutter awkwardly, causing the younger girl to chuckle.

“Relax, Jihye-ssi. You don’t have to be so nervous around me, I don’t bite.”

Yeah, because it is totally and completely normal for the current girlfriend to be extremely friendly to the ex-girfriend. Definitely not weird. Jihye scoffs inwardly at her thought.

“Is she awake yet?” Yongguk’s voice suddenly fills the room, breaking the rather intense atmosphere surrounding it.

The two women immediately snap their heads towards his direction, both donning a rather excited smile on their faces, taking the man aback a little. He gets why Minzy is acting like that, she is his girlfriend after all. Of course the girl is happy to see him. Jihye, on the other hand… he is not exactly sure how to take that smile as. He cannot deny that it does make him feel rather uneasy because hey, it does not take a genius to figure out that the girl still harbours some feelings for him, even if it were only a little, tiny one. Yongguk, however, decided to push that rather disturbing thought aside for now and focus on helping Jihye.

He can only shake his head in amusement, noticing how the two ladies in the room are simply smiling at him without even muttering a single word. They did not even say ‘hi’ or anything upon his arrival. The two are literally frozen on their respective spots, staring at him with dreamy eyes. What, did someone cast a spell on them or something? Yongguk chuckles at the thought of him being the cause of their dazed states. Leaning closer, he stretches his arms out to knock both their heads with his knuckles.

“What did you do that for?!” both girls let out a painful and irritated yelp simultaneously.

“I know I’m too handsome to resist, but do you girls really have to drool over me like that?” Yongguk chuckles teasingly as he plops himself down on the chair beside the bed.

“We were not drooling over you, you bastard!” Jihye retorts, rubbing her head furiously.

“Yeah, whatever she said!” Minzy agrees with a scowl.

“Aww, are my ex-girlfriend and girlfriend ganging up on me now? Wow, I really didn’t see that coming!”

With that, Yongguk earns himself not only one but two hard jabs – one in the chest, and the other in the abdomen. The man can only emit an almost inaudible groan as a shocked and pained expression immediately crosses his face. It is then that it dawns upon him that all this while, he most probably has a thing for violent women or, it could just be a coincidence. That is quite possible too.

 

TO BE CONTINUED.

 

Author's Note II: I know that most of you are eager to read the new chapters as soon as possible and I am really trying to update more often, just for you. Next week (next weekend, to be exact), however, I'm going on a roadtrip with my family so I might probably update earlier than that. No promises, though. Hee. But I will surely try to update before I leave. :) I am actually planning to finish this fic before I leave for my Seoul vacation in December, or at least by the end of the year so I can start with a new fic in a new year! X) But it all depends on the progress. We'll see. Hehe. In the meantime, don't forget to subscribe and upvote if you haven't and feel free to leave comments! ^^ Love ya!

ps: Please vote for which story you would like to read after this one is finished here if you haven't! Thanks! :)

pps: I've created something like a library where I share and list all my favourite stories featuring our six awesome boys by the name of B.A.P! So feel free to check it out and subscribe. It's not much yet but I will update the list from time to time. :)

 

Story by: afagyel | Poster and background by: Tomoe Graphic Shop