Promises, Promises

Promises, Promises

 

Sungmin stood awkwardly with a bouquet of red and white roses in hand. His hair, which was permed in a stylish manner, perfectly matched his designer clothes. He bit his lip and scrunched his nose, unsure of what to do next. Although with much hesitation, he abruptly took a step forward and entered the mausoleum that stood in front of him.

Silence.

No one was around, he thought. Only the rustling of the leaves and the chirping of the nameless birds can be heard. Sungmin shivered, and placed the bouquet of roses on top of a large gray tomb. He smiled weakly and seated himself on one of the stone benches that adorned the spacious hall. He sighed and began talking to a familiar figure that he knows, will never hear his voice. A stubborn tear drop finally fell on his pale cheek.

“Hey…” he mouthed. “I miss you already”

Sungmin crossed his arms and rested his head on the pillar, closing his eyes as memories from the past played inside his mind, cringing at the moments whenever his face shows up.

 

*

 

“Congratulations, dude!” Shindong greeted his dongsaeng loudly, wrapping an arm around his neck.

“Ahh…Thank you, hyung” the man scratched the back of his head as he smiled sheepishly, all the while diverting his gaze to the male opposite him. He whistled a low tune, catching Sungmin’s attention. He smiled and whispered a soft “Saranghae” to him, making the said man blush and giggle. He pried off the other men’s presence and approached him, taking the small hands into his own, he kissed the back of it lovingly; staring into the eyes that belonged to the man he loved.

“Congratulations” Sungmin greeted him with a blush. He took that opportunity to steal a kiss on the taller male’s lips, in which the latter happily returned. Sungmin smiled, shying away quietly when a rather high ranking person nudged his lover aside.

“One moment please” he heard him say. Sungmin then found arms encircled around his tiny waist and a hot breath against his ear. “Kyuhyun…”

The man named Kyuhyun chuckled, sending vibrations throughout Sungmin’s body. “Yes, baby?”

“I love you”

“I love you too”

He leaned to Kyuhyun’s touch, swaying their bodies lightly to the music.

It was a day to be remembered; Cho Kyuhyun, age 23 has just become the new CEO of his father’s business, making him the youngest recipient of that title. Garnering more than a million won in investments in just 1 year proved that this ‘kid’ is more than meets the eye.

Kyuhyun merely slipped a hand on Sungmin’s chin and turned his head sideways, pressing his forehead to the former’s own.

“How about that ‘yes’ I’ve been waiting for so long, hmm?”

“Kyu~ I promised you that on your birthday! Can’t you wait that long?” Sungmin playfully slapped him on the chest.

“Promise?”

“I promise!”

Kyuhyun smiled and pecked Sungmin lightly on the lips, keeping his eyes open to stare in the black orbs of the smaller man.

“Promise me one thing too” Sungmin softly whispered; his hot breath ghosting over Kyuhyun’s cheek.

“What is it?”

.

.

.

“Never Leave”

 

*

 

Sungmin sighed and stood up, walking slowly towards the large grave adorned with marble stone. He crouched down and ran his fingers on the embossed epitaph, smiling sadly as he placed his hand on the name and picture.

“Can you hear me?” he asked softly.

He closed his eyes again as flashbacks continued to appear before him. Messages and mementos piece back as if reminding him the bitter events of yesterday. His smell lingered on his nose, his laugh rung in his ears and his eyes stared back at him… telling him a silent confession.

Sungmin bit back a sob as he slumped down, holding on to the letters for his dear life, almost ripping it off in the process. He cracked one eye open and the picture he saw made his head spin.

 

*

 

“Where are we going, Kyuhyunnie~?” Sungmin bubbly asked.

“It’s a secret, Min. You’ll see it soon enough” Kyuhyun replied with a playful smirk.

Sungmin blushed and bit his lip. He kept quiet throughout the entire trip and eventually fell asleep; only to wake up by a kiss on the neck. “Kyu?” he blinked a number of times. “Where are we?”

“Come, I’ll show you” Kyuhyun answered. He got off the car hurriedly and ran to open the door for Sungmin. He grabbed his wrist and dragged him in front of a luxurious looking mansion.

“You like it?” Kyuhyun whispered from behind, snaking his arms around Sungmin’s waist.

“K-Kyu…what is this?” Sungmin mumbled dumbfounded.

“It’s our new home, baby” the tall male whispered. “1more month, Min. And you’ll be mine forever.”

“Of course, Kyu~ have I ever broke a promise?” Sungmin smiled at him with tears in his eyes. “I’m glad I met you, Kyu. I love you so much” he kissed him lovingly as he let his tears fell from his eyes.

 

*

 

Sungmin’s breath hitched, his eyes, now red and puffy from all the crying he made. “Kyuhyun…” he croaked.

“You left without a single word… You didn’t even say goodbye to me!” he screamed on the top of his lungs, banging the epitaph of the man he’s talking to.

“How could you?”

 

*

 

It was about 2 weeks before Kyuhyun’s birthday and Sungmin couldn’t control his excitement. He would finally say his ‘yes’ to him. He would even practice his answer in front of his mirror, giggling and laughing softly on how awkward he looks.

He fixed his clothes and brushed his hair, looking pretty satisfied with himself.

“Hey, Kyu!” Sungmin chirped as he ran to Kyuhyun’s open arms.

Kyuhyun hugged him in return and smelled the sweet scent of Sungmin. “I’ve missed you…”

“How was the business trip?” Sungmin asked him.

“Hmm…It went out alright. But I don’t care… I just kept thinking on how I can sustain the both of us after we’re married.” Kyuhyun answered with a smirk.

“Oh, Kyu…” Sungmin tiptoed and kissed him on the cheek. “Where are we off to now?”

“Dinner sounds nice” Kyuhyun smiled at him.

They slipped inside the car hand in hand, a smile adorning their faces. Kyuhyun kissed the back of Sungmin’s hand lovingly as he stared deep into his eyes.

“I’ll never leave you, Min. That’s a promise.”

 

*

 

Sungmin groaned in frustration, pounding relentlessly on the ground beneath him until his knuckles bled. He so much wanted to be hugged right now, to be held into someone’s firm arms. He so much wanted to be goddamned loved.

“Kyuhyun…” Sungmin whispered. “Can you hear me?” he asked again.

“Can you hear me crying for you?”

 

*

 

Sungmin slept peacefully on the passenger seat, leaning his head on the window beside him. Kyuhyun chuckled, reaching out one hand to take Sungmin’s hand to his own.

He smiled softly when Sungmin woke up. “Sorry, did I wake you?” he asked.

“No, it’s alright” Sungmin responded by interwining his fingers to Kyuhyun’s. “I love you”

.

.

Kyuhyun didn’t get the chance to answer.

And the next thing Sungmin knew, the vehicle they were in started to spin out of control, rubber burning against asphalt. Kyuhyun tried to grip the wheel back in control, drifting his car to the side to avoid incoming vehicles.

A loud crash was heard. Shatters of glass went flying everywhere, scraping Kyuhyun and Sungmin’s flesh in the process. Sungmin had a horrified look on his face as he saw both of their lives flash before his eyes; he saw their future being into a dark abyss, never again to be reached. He screamed Kyuhyun’s name and flung his arms to the taller male’s body, shielding him from the impact. The car whirled and banged at the metal railings, falling down at the ravine below.

Kyuhyun felt his legs being squeezed by the vehicle’s upper half, and Sungmin’s body atop him. “Sungmin!” he shook the figure vigorously, lifting his head up only to see a bloodied face.

“Kyu…a-are you alright?” Sungmin softly asked, blood was gushing from his head and the shards of glass clung on his back.

“Oh, God...hey…Sungmin!” Kyuhyun raised his voice when Sungmin suddenly collapsed. And to his horror, he saw the car’s missing pieces being compressed on him, making it hard to breathe. He choked as his own blood gushed out like rain; his vision started to blur and his breathing became uneven.

“I won’t leave you” were the last words he spoke before succumbing to his own wounds.

--

“Oh thank God, you’re awake…” Kyuhyun heard a familiar voice beside him.

“Donghae?” he turned his head meekly, groaning at the immense pain he felt on his lower half. A bandage was wrapped around his head, a sling on his left hand and a brace was placed on his neck.

“Where’s Min?” he asked first, slowly turning his head on both sides.

Donghae remained silent after a while, looking down when Kyuhyun met his gaze. “Donghae…I asked you. Where is your brother?”

The man bit back a sob as he answered. “H-He….” His arms shook and his lips quivered, afraid to tell his brother’s lover the truth.

“He’s where?! Donghae answer me!” Kyuhyun fumed. “Where is he—”

.

“He’s dying, ok!? He’s at a very critical state right now… the doctors are trying very hard to revive him…they say that he has a 50/50 chance…but they can’t guarantee us if he will survive…” Donghae tearily began.

“His heart was greatly affected by the impact; there were damaged arteries…making blood flow very hard…” Donghae controlled his voice as he answered.

“He needs a new heart, Kyuhyun… or else we’ll lose him.”

Kyuhyun’s eyes widened at the news. His voice was caught at the back of his throat, his limbs felt numb and his heart clenched. “No…Sungmin”

He tried to sit up, desperately clawing on the IV tubes attached to him and pulled each one, not caring the pain it brought. Donghae stopped him, but Kyuhyun was persistent; pushing the other one aside, he got off the bed and stumbled forwards, only to notice that one of his legs were decapitated. Kyuhyun cried and started to crawl towards the door, using his other arm to drag himself. Blood was now flowing from his now-open wounds, but Kyuhyun couldn’t care less; his tears were now soaking his pale cheek, and his voice echoed inside his hospital room, crying out to the person he needs the most.

“I need assistance in Room 203. Please come quick!” Donghae spoke as he called the nurses’ station. “Kyuhyun! You can’t see him right now… not in that state.” He took hold of Kyuhyun’s form from the floor as several nurses came rushing in to calm him down.

“No! Sungmin needs me… Please, I want to see him!” Kyuhyun cried, tossing his body on both sides in order to avoid being sedated. “He needs me, gahh…Sungmin!”

The nurses held him down as the doctor injected the drug and Kyuhyun soon felt sleep overcome him, his eyelids began to droop, his senses began to blacken and his lips huffed a breathy “Sungmin” before slumping on his bed.

Donghae eyed the doctor wearily and cleared his throat as he asked Sungmin’s current condition. The doctor sadly shook his head and mouthed “1 week, Mr. Lee…after that, let us prepare for the worst.”

 

--

“Can I go visit him now?” Kyuhyun said as he sat up. “It’s been 3 days already…”

The doctor sighed and looked at Kyuhyun, pushing the rim of his glasses to the bridge of his nose. “Alright, Kyuhyun…but we’ll do it quick. You’re not fully recovered yet.” Kyuhyun could only nod silently.

He was soon wheeled out of his room and his eyes followed the number of floors and rooms they passed by. They stopped in front of a lone ICU room, where most people would just pass by and ignore. Kyuhyun felt an eerie feeling creeping up to him as the door opened, revealing a spacious room and a large bed. Kyuhyun swallowed hard as he saw the person lying on it, countless tubes protruded from his body, bandages were wrapped all over, making it hard for him to be recognized. The only sound that was heard was the beeping of the heart monitor and the respirator that supported his breathing.

“Sungmin…” Kyuhyun breathed out as he wheeled himself closer, holding Sungmin’s hand tightly. “Im here… don’t worry. I’m here now” he whispered as a teardrop fell.

“I’m sorry, Min… I should’ve been more careful. This wouldn’t happen if I was more attentive. I’m so sorry, love. Please wake up…” Kyuhyun muttered as he buried his face on the side of the bed. “I love you”

One minute passed and a sudden beep brought Kyuhyun back to his senses. “Sungmin?” he mouthed.

“Hey now, w-what’s this….what’s happening?”

He eyed the monitor in front of him, watching as the rapid lines that went up and down flatten, making a loud steady sound. Kyuhyun panicked as he felt Sungmin’s breath stopped.

The nurse that brought him inside called the other doctors on the nearby station, alarming their current meeting to inform the recent happenings.

“Sungmin! No…please, wake up!” Kyuhyun desperately shook him; he stood up on one leg, balancing himself to wrap his arm on the small figure. “No…don’t die on me Sungmin…Sungmin!” he shouted.

“I-I’ll still marry you, aren’t I? We’ll be together forever…please, I beg of you…don’t leave me!” Kyuhyun murmured in Sungmin’s hair.

“I was the one who promised not to leave…but what are you doing now, huh? Don’t give up, Min… you said we’ll grow old together… Sungmin!” he cried even more as he was pulled away, eyeing the medical doctors gather around Sungmin.

One doctor went to fetch a heart defibrillator, connecting the wires and rubbing each one to gather a much needed shock. “Clear!” he shouted, placing the equipment on Sungmin’s chest. The latter’s body jolted up as electricity went pass his heart, just enough to revive it.

No response.

“Clear!” the doctor shouted again, latching the plates on Sungmin again. Kyuhyun watched on with tears, 2 nurses were keeping him down from grasping away. “Sungmin!”

Three more tries and the line sprang back to life, earning a quite satisfied sigh from the doctors and Kyuhyun. The tall male sank back on his wheelchair, keeping his eyes closed as the doctors and nurses left.

“Doctor?” Kyuhyun looked up. “How is he?”

“I’m afraid he’s not going for the better, Mr. Cho…he needs a new heart.” The doctor bid him goodbye and left without a single word.

Kyuhyun remained in a daze. “Sungmin’s dying, Kyuhyun” he said to himself. “Are you gonna let that happen?”

He stared at the sleeping figure lovingly; sad eyes were boring straight to the pale face of his lover.

“I’d do anything for you, Min…”

--

A week after the successful operation, Sungmin slowly woke up from his deep slumber.

“Sungmin-hyung… you’re awake!” Donghae chirped as he helped his brother adjust on his bed. “Are you feeling alright? I thought I was gonna lose you back then, but thank God, you’re well!”

Sungmin groaned and squinted his eyes at the bright light that came from the windows; he shifted his gaze and was caught in surprise when he saw a single rose with a small card tied to its stem. “Hae-ah… who’s that from?” he curiously asked.

When Donghae heard it, his happy smile was replaced with a straight look. He bent his head and bit his lips. “Hae?” Sungmin reached out and touched his hands. “What’s wrong?”

Donghae then stood up and picked the rose up, handing it over to Sungmin who was more confused than ever. “It’s from Kyuhyun”

“From Kyuhyun? Oh yeah, speaking of him, how’s he doing? Did he get discharged?” the other man’s eyes lit up when he heard Kyuhyun’s name.

His brother just stood awkwardly, hands clasped behind his back as he spoke. “Read the inside”

“The inside?” Sungmin’s voice was laced with curiosity. He slowly opened the card, and what he saw made him gasp and drop the rose from his hands. Tears were now forming on the corner of his eyes as he swallowed the lump on his throat. He turned and looked at Donghae who was tearing up as well.

“What does this mean, Hae?” he asked shakily, gripping the sheets tightly as he waits for an answer. “Donghae…please tell me. K-Kyuhyun…is he-?

“Look at your chest, hyung” the younger suddenly interrupted.

Sungmin bit back a sob as he did what he was told. Undoing the knot of his hospital gown, he slid of his gown on one shoulder and was met by a large scar on his chest. He covered it immediately with his garment and slumped back on his pillow, tears now falling uncontrollably on his cheeks.

“He doesn’t want you to die, hyung. So, he sacrificed himself instead and gave his heart to you…” Donghae abruptly wrapped his arms around his brother, soothing him with gentle pats on the head. “He loves you so much, hyung… he even told me that if he could turn back time, he will be the one to throw his arms around you…”

Sungmin sobbed down, muffling his cries with a hand on his mouth. ‘Kyuhyun’s gone’ he thought and repeated to himself. Donghae embraced him with all his might, closing his eyes as he whispered consoling words.

“He’s gone, Hae-ah…he left me! He didn’t keep his promise…he said he’d never leave, but now…”

“He’s never gone hyung…” Donghae whispered to him, pulling back and staring straight to Sungmin’s eyes. “He’s never gone hyung” he repeated, placing a hand on Sungmin’s chest, just above his beating heart. “He’s right here… a part of him is always with you. He kept his promise to you, hyung… and he gave you his most important gift.”

Sungmin sniffed and placed his own hand over Donghae’s, burying his face to his brother’s chest as he moved closer. He took a quick glance on the white rose that laid on his bed, keeping in mind the words that were written on the small card.

 

“Please be careful with my heart”

 

*

 

“I just miss you so much, Kyu…” Sungmin says as he squats on the ground, hand never leaving the picture of Kyuhyun.

“It was unfortunate that we met an accident… It was unfortunate that I didn’t get the chance to visit you…It was unfortunate that you never got the chance to hear my ‘yes’…”

Sungmin bowed his head in sorrow, gliding his hand on the date of his lover’s death. “February 3, 1988 – February 3, 2011” he murmured.

“Do you still remember? I said I’ll give you my ‘yes’ on your birthday…” he whispered with a husky voice. “But you didn’t wait for it…you went on ahead without me. That was supposed to be my birthday present for you…knowing that you’ve waited long enough for that day to come.”

“I still love you ‘til this day, Kyuhyun… you gave me your heart…and I’ll repay you by taking care of it. You gave me a second chance of living, and I’ll repay it by living for you” Sungmin smiled lightly, placing a kiss on his finger and trace it along the cold surface of Kyuhyun’s picture.

“I kept my promise to you, Kyu…” he added as he whispered a soft “Yes” to him. “Happy Birthday my love”

He stood up and brushed the dirt from his pants, taking a longing last look on the polished marble grave. “I’ll be going now, Kyu…” he bid goodbye and took a step outside, inhaling the fresh air that greeted him. The warm air passed by and his hair swayed along the gentle breeze.

A small white butterfly with metallic wings suddenly flew past his form, landing on his slick black tuxedo right above his chest; he admired on how it fluttered its glossy wings, making flashes of rainbow-colored reflections. He was about to take another step when a rather cold gust of wind blew past his face, and along, a faint whisper was heard. Sungmin froze, eyes widening as he tried to make up the words in his mind, “Thank you, I love you… I’m still here” were the words he could decipher.

He smiled lightly, taking the delicate butterfly with his finger. He held it up at eye-level and whispered,

“It looks like you did keep your promise, Kyu…”

 

--

Legend:

* - flashbacks