Final

Blind Heart

It was a nice spring morning; the sky was bright, and the wind was cool. It was a perfect day to go outside and enjoy the blooming surroundings. The weather was so great that it could brighten ones mood, but not Sungmin. He woke up after the surgery, only to find out that he lost his sight. The car accident not only injured his body, but also took away his vision. He cannot accept it. He wanted to trash around out of anger, but his current physical condition didn't let him to. This resulted to a panic attack, and the doctor was forced to sedate him.

Sungmin's family were worried for him, and they cannot stop their tears from flowing. They may not exactly know Sungmin's predicaments, but it hurts them to see a once young and healthy man give up on his life.

"Come on Sungmin, the doctors said that you could still walk. You just have to do physical therapy." Sungmin's mother said as she persuaded him.

"What's the use?" Sungmin retorted.

"Yeah what's the use? You can wallow in self-pity all you want! I cannot watch you while you give up on yourself. I want my hyung back." Sungjin complained as he left the room.

"Sungjin! Come back here." Mrs. Lee said. "I'm sorry. Your brother was just tired from school. I'll scold him later."

"Go find him mom."

"Later. He could wait. He's old enough now."

"Don't you get it? I want you to leave! I'm old enough too. Now please get out!"

Mrs. Lee was surprised, but she understood her son. Though she might not tolerate it in ordinary condition, she knew Sungmin still struggles with his current state.

"Okay, I'll just come back tomorrow. Take care Sungmin."

When Sungmin felt that he was alone, he cried to himself. Sungjin's words struck his heart, but he find it really hard to continue his life without his sight. He knew that from that moment on, he would be nothing but a hindrance to everyone. Maybe, for the sake of his brother, he could go on with the therapy.

Sungmin hated the therapy. It was tiring, and it hurts too. He also hate it that his therapist would touch him. He was not fond of strangers when he was still able to see them, and now, he was more wary of his surroundings and more cautious with strangers. However, he knew he could do nothing about it, and it was for his own benefit.

One day, before his scheduled therapy, he snuck out of his room and wandered around. He tried to act as normal as possible, so people would not suspect him. He used his white cane in order to move around, but since he was still not used to it, somehow, he attracted some attention.

"Excuse me, are you lost?" A nurse asked him.

"No I'm fine. I'm just going in here." Sungmin immediately said as he grabbed a doorknob.

"Oh you know Kyuhyun? Good. He was feeling down a lot lately. A visitor would cheer him up."

"Yeah, sure."

Sungmin quickly and quietly went inside to avoid anymore confrontation. He wished that whoever Kyuhyun was inside the room, would be sleeping at the moment.

"Excuse me, who are you?" A very deep and attractive voice sounded inside the room.

Sungmin immediately turned around out of reflex. He realized he was not alone, and now he have to think of an excuse why he was there.

"I... I  was just-"

"Are you just lost? I get it. I should have not expected.  Nobody would come to visit me anyway." Kyuhyun said in a dejected tone.

Kyuhyun was diagnosed with heart failure since he was still a kid. He had a special lifestyle and treatment to prolong his life, but when he reached the age of 20's, his condition got worse. His family was wealthy, but his parents did not have enough time to take a special care for him. Since Kyuhyun was considered weak, his parents were only focusing with his older sister, Ahra. They always trained her to be the sole inheritor of their business, but Ahra was different. She always kept some time to interact and communicate with her baby brother. She was the only one Kyuhyun considered as a family.

When she graduated from college and started working, her time with her brother lessen. That brought depression to Kyuhyun, and made his condition awful. He was confined to the hospital for a closer health provision, but he felt that he was just sent there, so his parents would not worry about having a hindrance to their family's success. The thought of suicide never left his mind. He just endure it for the sake of his older sister.

Kyuhyun noticed that the stranger was still in his room. He also discerned that the new comer was sightless because of the white cane and the unfocused stare.

"This is room 203. You could find your way from here, or do you want me to call a nurse?" He asked.

"I'm not lost. I'm hiding." Sungmin replied, glad that the other person was not mad at him.

"I think I can help you hide then. I'm Kyuhyun. You can stay here for as long as you want." He said with a big smile.

Even if Sungmin cannot see Kyuhyun right now, he knew Kyuhyun was smiling based on his voice. The sadness was also gone. Sungmin thought that if he would stay, he can make Kyuhyun happier.

"I'm Sungmin. It's nice to meet you." Sungmin responded with a smile.

Sungmin carefully walked closer, unconsciously memorizing the room's interior. Kyuhyun was just watching him, content to see another person in his lonely room. Sungmin sat down when he found a good spot.

"Can you speak?" Sungmin requested.

"Huh? Why?"

"I can't see you, so let me just hear your voice. I want to sense that you're still here."

"What am I going to say then?"

"Anything."

That moment, they were able to know more about each other. The reason why they were there, their birthdays, their hobbies, their likes and dislikes, and many other things.

Life took out Sungmin's sight as well as his goals and dreams. However, he realized that Kyuhyun never had any of those. He was not able to have goals and dreams because he lives, expecting death to end his life anytime. Kyuhyun was still young. He still have more years in his life if he just receives a heart transplant. Maybe if Sungmin would just end his life and give his heart to Kyuhyun, their life would be more meaningful in a sense.

"Hey, what if you got a heart transplant? What it is that you would like to do?" Sungmin inquired.

"There's a long waiting list for heart transplant patients, and donors don't always come that fast, but if I had the chance, I want to thank the person who donated his heart by living my life as normal as possible. Get a job, fall in love, have a family, and so forth." Kyuhyun said as he imagine himself living a normal life. He heaved a sigh. "I doubt that would happen though. I've been waiting for a long time, and still no news about an organ donor. I think I'm just wasting my time here. Isn't better if I just end it all here? There must be someone out there who deserves a heart better than I do." Kyuhyun said. His loneliness came back, and Sungmin could sense it.

"I think you deserve to live. You should live. You haven't experience living yet. If you just wait for a little bit more, I'm sure you'll get a heart in no time. And if you do so, promise me you'll live it to the fullest. Also, don't forget to fall in love." Sungmin said as he tried to lift up Kyuhyun's mood, although he didn't really have to. The moment he stepped inside that room, he gave Kyuhyun another reason to stay.

"Then you should be present when I get married. I want you to be there."

Kyuhyun's reply caught Sungmin in surprise. How can he tell Kyuhyun his intention of donating his heart? How can he promise, if he knew he won't be able to fulfill it? Sungmin wanted to change the topic, so he asked for the time.

"It's half past seven. Dinner would be served soon."

"Wow! Time flies fast. I think I better go back then. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Oh okay."

Kyuhyun was back to his depressed self. Sungmin doesn't want to leave him like that because he felt that Kyuhyun would do something stupid if he just left without making sure of the younger's safety. Therefore, Sungmin stood up, carefully moved towards the bed and extended his pinky finger.

"I'll come back tomorrow. I swear. Pinky-promise."

Kyuhyun chuckled at the childish act, but did it anyway. He decided he would live for another day just to see Sungmin.

When Sungmin slowly got back in his room, he could sense another person's presence.

"Who is there?" Sungmin asked.

"Oh there you are Sungmin-ssi. I just came to tell you some good news. We were worried that you skipped you therapy."

"I'm sorry. Did you... did you tell my family that I was gone?"

"We were about to inform them about your absence, but we could keep it as a secret if you want to."

"Thank you."

"Come here, I'll help you sit in your bed."

"No thanks. I think I could manage to do it alone."

After a short while, Sungmin was able to sit himself without the doctor's support.

"I'm sorry, but you said you have some good news?" Sungmin said as he try to sit more comfortably.

"I could see that you can walk more properly now. Your therapist also said that you could do the little exercises by yourself from now on."

Sungmin nodded. He was glad to hear that news. At least he doesn't need to hide anymore.

"Another thing."

"There's more?"

"Yes Sungmin-ssi. There's actually two more. First, I checked your case once again and found another way to let you regain sight. However, it would require surgery and cornea transplant. We could discuss it more later after you recuperate. Second, you could be discharged three days from now."

It was all good news, but Sungmin was not sure on how to take it. He has a chance to see again. A chance to get back on his life, but that means Kyuhyun would have to wait for a heart donor again. He also has only three days to spend time with Kyuhyun. He's certain that Kyuhyun would fell deeper into depression if he heard the news.

The doctor left Sungmin with his food and bid him good bye. That night, Sungmin did not touch his food nor had a decent amount of sleep. Morning came and his mother was there as usual. She saw her son preparing to leave.

"Are you going somewhere son?"

"Oh you're here?" Sungmin's tone was more of surprised than annoyed. It was a change that Mrs. Lee noted. "I'm just going to visit a friend."

"Don't you want to eat first?"

"Can I eat it with him?"

"Of course, if you don't mind sharing."

They left the room, and Sungmin led the way. He tried to remember how many steps he took yesterday and stopped in front of a door.

"Room 203, Cho Kyuhyun?"

Mrs. Lee read the sign on the door. She looked at her son who has a big smile plastered on his face. After a small celebration inside his brain, Sungmin opened the door without knocking. Mrs. Lee was about to reprimand her son, but Kyuhyun's reaction was faster.

"Sungmin! You came back."

Kyuhyun got up from his bed and met Sungmin halfway. He did not even noticed the presence of another person in the room. When he was close enough, he embraced Sungmin as tight as he could.

Sungmin was surprised and flinched a bit, but he let Kyuhyun hug him. Slowly, he relaxed inside his embrace. Mrs. Lee was speechless from what she's seeing, but she's glad nevertheless. She cleared , and the two boys quickly let go of each other.

"Sungmin said he wanted to eat breakfast with you. I'll just leave this here and come back later. Take your time to enjoy your meal."

"Ugh... thank you." Kyuhyun awkwardly bowed to the older lady in the room.

"She's my mother, mom this is Kyuhyun." Sungmin introduced.

"Nice meeting you Mrs. Lee." Kyuhyun bowed once again in a more formal way.

"It's my pleasure. Please take care of each other." She turned to her son. "Are you going to stay here? I'll just come back later."

"Yes mom." Sungmin was not sure, but he felt as if he just introduced his boyfriend. Kyuhyun was just his friend. There's nothing to be embarrassed about.

Mrs. Lee set the food on Kyuhyun's table and left the two males by themselves. When she left, Sungmin attempted to distract himself by eating. He got a spoon on his right hand and a container on his left. He was stuffing his mouth with foods, so he could avoid talking.

"Your mother said we could take our time eating."Kyuhyun said amusedly. "Do you perhaps have a different plan today?" He added.

Sungmin took his time chewing and swallowing his food before he answered.

"No. I'm just really hungry."

"Did something happened?"

Sungmin stopped before he put the food into his mouth. He was contemplating whether to tell Kyuhyun everything or not.

"It's okay. You don't have to tell me everything. We just met yesterday anyway." Kyuhyun added in order not to have an awkward silent between them.

"They said I could still have a chance to see again."

"Then that's a good news! Why you don't look so happy?"

"I should right, but how about y-"

"Please don't worry about me. I don't have nothing to live for from the start. I'm happy to know that you're concerned about me. That's more than enough." Sungmin could hear the sincerity in his voice, but also the hopelessness. He doesn't need to say the next news. He was sure it'll break Kyuhyun's hope more.

"There's more?" Kyuhyun asked.

"Huh? No. Nothing. That's it." Was Sungmin's quick and uncertain reply.

"You're a terrible liar. You've been caught. Now spill."

"I'll be discharge two days from now." Sungmin said in a low voice, but Kyuhyun still heard it.

"I see... so you have to visit me every now and then."

"Kyuhyun."

"Hey. Your mom's food are tasty. I could eat all of this." Kyuhyun said in a trembling voice. He stopped eating and wept silently, so Sungmin would not hear. However, Sungmin was not naive. He place his food and utensil on the table and faced Kyuhyun on his left. He stretched his arm and touched Kyuhyun's face. He used his thumbs to dry the tears, but it only made Kyuhyun sob more. He then gently pushed Kyuhyun's head on his shoulder and let the younger man cry on it.

They stayed in that position for a comfortable period of time.

"I want to go out tomorrow. I want to feel the sun on my skin. Can you go out with me?" Sungmin said.

It's been a long time since Kyuhyun saw what was outside the hospital wall. Maybe it could help him too. He did not give any oral response; he just nodded his head.

Mrs. Lee came back that afternoon with Sungjin. Sungjin was informed about his brother's progress and was excited to see him. They arrived inside Kyuhyun's room and saw the two patients facing the window. Sungmin's head was perched on Kyuhyun's shoulder while Kyuhyun explained the things he could see outside. They can't wait to spend their time outside tomorrow.

 

When they left Kyuhyun's room, Sungjin was left with his brother back in Sungmin's room, as their mother discussed her son's condition with the doctor.

"Sungjin-ah." Sungmin called.

"Yes? Do you need something?" Sungjin said and approached his hyung.

"Can you help me? Fill up an organ donor form for me, and please keep it as a secret between us."

"Hyung. You're not planning to-"

"Please Sungjinie. Do it for hyung. I almost lost my life once. If I ever lose it for real, I want to let other people have the chance to continue theirs, or maybe start one."

"I... I understand."

"Thanks Sungjinie. You're the best!"

Sungjin asked for a form and filled it out with Sungmin's information. He then let his hyung sign it. Before he left with his mom, he gave it to one of the nurse.

In the other room, Kyuhyun was talking to his doctor.

"You could still wait for a heart transplant. Are you sure you want to fill out this donor form?" The doctor inquired.

"Just in case. I'm sure if I won't be able to continue mine, there's someone out there who could continue theirs in a more meaningful way."

The next morning, Kyuhyun woke up early because of excitement. He planned to surprise Sungmin, so he got out of his room and headed to the front desk. While walking, he stopped and looked at the room beside him.

"Room 201. Lee Sungmin." He read. "You've been here all this time?" Kyuhyun laughed to himself. He didn't need to go far then.

He slowly opened the door and peeked inside. The room was dim, but he could see a figure on the bed peacefully sleeping. He entered, closed the door, and walked closer to the bed. With a small light, he could see Sungmin's sleeping face. He just wanted to stare, but his hands were faster than his brain, so he end up brushing Sungmin's fringe from his face.

Sungmin felt something, so he stirred and slowly regained his senses. He was still in daze when he heard Kyuhyun's voice.

"Good morning."

Instead of replying, Sungmin just smiled brightly closed his eyes again and attempted to sleep some more.

Kyuhyun did not woke up Sungmin for the second time. He wanted to appreciate this moment. If he was going to have a chance to live once more, he wanted to spend it with Sungmin. He wanted to eat with him, hang out with him, talk with him, sleep beside him, and wake up with him. He wanted to spend his lifetime with Sungmin, and he decided to do it by donating his eyes.

"Are you done looking at my handsome face?" Sungmin said with his eyes closed.

"Wha- I was- I'm not staring at you at all!"

Sungmin just laughed and sat up. He then tiredly rubbed his unseeing eyes.

"What are you doing here? What time is it anyway?"

"It's six in the morning. I was just too excited, so I came here first."

"Are you ready to go out? Should we wait for my mother first?"

"I'm ready, but if you want to wait for her, then I think it's fine."

"It's okay. I'll just prepare then we'll head out. She won't be here until eight. I want to feel the sun rise."

After washing and wearing an adequate jacket, they walked down the hospital and headed outside. Kyuhyun was guiding Sungmin all the way through the small hospital garden. When they sat on the bench, the sun was already slowly showing in the sky.

"Can you describe how it looks like to me?" Sungmin requested.

"The surrounding is quiet and peaceful. We're the only one outside. We're sitting on a bench under a medium sized tree. There's a pond across us." Kyuhyun said while enumerating everything that he sees. He looked up and described the sky. "The sky looks marvelous. The colors blue, pink, orange and red mix perfectly. It looks beautiful just like you." Kyuhyun was surprised with his own words, but Sungmin didn't mind.

"I think you're beautiful too." Sungmin said with a bright smile.

"How can you say it?" Kyuhyun was about to say the obvious fact that Sungmin was blind, but he stopped.

"I was able to feel your face, and I think you have a nice feature. Besides, beauty can come from inside too." Sungmin was hesitating, but he went on with his silly request anyway. "Can I touch your face?"

"Okay."

Kyuhyun leaned his face closer to Sungmin. He held Sungmin's hands and slowly placed it on his face. Sungmin started from Kyuhyun's forehead.

"You have a nice forehead."

His hands then travelled down to Kyuhyun's eyes.

"You have big round eyes, and a big pointy nose too."

Sungmin slightly pinched Kyuhyun's nose and laughed. His hand moved down to Kyuhyun's lips. He stopped and was about to remove his hands when Kyuhyun grabbed his hands and made it stay there.

"How about my lips?"

Sungmin could feel Kyuhyun's lip movements. His heart was thumping, but answered anyway.

"They're full, soft and pillow-y."

"Can I feel yours too?"

Before Sungmin could answer, he felt Kyuhyun bent forward and captured his lips. They slowly kissed each other under the morning sun. This was the best morning they ever had.

When it was about eight o'clock, they decided to come back inside, but both of them were having a second thought. They both knew that this would be the last day they could spend together because Sungmin would be discharged tomorrow. They don't want it to end yet, especially that moment in the garden.

Kyuhyun guided Sungmin back inside the hospital, but Sungmin requested to go a different way. Slowly, they walked around the ground floor and went to the emergency exit stairs.

"Hey you're not allowed in there!" One of the nurses yelled from afar.

They did not listen and still went upstairs. Kyuhyun was running ahead of Sungmin, while Sungmin took cautious step while holding firmly at the railings.

"Wait for me." Sungmin said.

There was no response.

"Kyuhyun!"

Silence.

"Kyuhyun! I'm not kidding anymore!"

"Su-Sung-min..." Was all Kyuhyun could say.

Running upstairs made his blood pump faster than normal and affected his heart. He was able to reach the top before he had a cardiac arrest. Sungmin was troubled, so he tried to ascend faster. He cannot see the steps, so he tripped before reaching the top. The nurse found both of them lying on the ground and called for emergency.

 

 

 

 

 

Cho Ahra came back from Taiwan after hearing the dreadful news about her brother's death. She came back to organize Kyuhyun's funeral. Many of their business partners were only there to show respect, but no one really cared enough to shed tear for Kyuhyun. At the last night of the funeral, Sungmin's mom paid respect to her son's friend and visited Kyuhyun.

She was looking for Kyuhyun's parents, but she only spotted his sister. Sungmin's mother slowly approached her.

"He's such a nice kid."

"Do you know my brother?"

Mrs. Lee just nodded in reply. She took out a photo of Sungmin and Kyuhyun taken the day they went to the garden.

"He's friend with my son, Sungmin."

Ahra looked at the photo and recognized the boy beside his brother.

"Lee Sungmin? Isn't he the one across?" Ahra was pertaining to another funeral across Kyuhyun.

"Yes. They were found out lying on the emergency stairs together. It seems like Kyuhyun had a cardiac arrest, and Sungmin tried to run to his side. Sadly, they didn't made it."

Sungmin's mother started crying too.

"I saw them happy together once. I'm sure they were happy before they left us too."

Cho Ahra looked at the photo once again. They looked so happy in each other's arms. After examining the photo, she smiled bitterly.

"I've never seen my brother smile like this."

 

 

 

 

Sungjin and his family visited a man who had a successful heart transplant. Lee Hyukjae received Sungmin's heart. He was very grateful for Sungmin and his family's generosity. He promised to live his life in a more meaningful way for Sungmin's sake.

He tried to bid good bye to the family after their visit. Outside, he saw a man being greeted by the family too. The other person was thanking a lady before she took her leave.

"Please take care of my younger brother's eye."

"I will."

Hyukjae heard the last part of their conversation. He was about to return to his room, when he noticed the man looking at him. His heart suddenly started beating erratically, but it was not physically hurting him.

"Hi I'm Lee Donghae." The other greeted.

"I'm Lee Hyukjae."

They shook hands together and felt a connection.

"Can I say something crazy? I think I just fell in love with you at first sight." Donghae said straightforwardly.

"I don't think that's crazy at all... because my heart said so."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

a/n: Did I mention you how random I am?

I probably should stop thinking of stories while washing dishes... They always end up like this.

I should run now before y'all could catch me...

 

 

Nyahhhhhhhhhh! C= C= C= C= C= C= C= C= C= ┌(;・ω・)┘