Black Sheep

Sharp Gemstone

(Note: This chapter contains slightly rude words and implications of self-harm. Please do not read if you feel uncomfortable with such stuff.)

School just went on as usual, except that it was one of the days where just leading a normal life hurts. Afterall, her stomach was so badly injured. However, despite being hit so terribly before school, Chorong was happier than usual. She was excited for what was going to happen.

Once the school bell rang, Chorong bid a hurried farewell to her classmates and rushed out of school. Her destination was her workplace - a restaurant 1km away. Upon arriving, she greeted brightly, "Good afternoon Ms Teo!"

"Look who's so eager to collect her pay. Come here Chorong, here's your pay. Nine hundred dollars for all that you've worked, and fifty dollars more because I really appreciate your help. Honestly, it pains me to see you having to come here everyday after school, rush to fetch your brother home and return here after that. Isn't it tiring?"

"Nope Ms Teo, it's not tiring at all. As long as Sungjae is happy, anything is fine with me. Thank you so much for the salary, I will work harder!" With that, Chorong went to change into the attire for work.

Such a responsible and mature girl. Ms Teo thought. Although Ms Teo was just the employer, she was a motherly figure for Chorong. She might not know much about Chorong, but she always cared for Chorong in many aspects.

Chorong greeted all her customers with a smile that was brighter than any other day. It was only on days like this was she genuinely happy. She could finally get Sungjae the toy he had always wanted, as she had promised.

***

Chorong arrived outside Sungjae's school, greeted by a small little Sungjae running towards her. She flinched slightly as she engulfed Sungjae into a hug. All the rushing had made her wounds worse and it hurt terribly. Smiling like nothing was wrong, she commented, "What made our Sungjae so happy today?"

"Noona, the teacher praised me today! She said I was improving a lot, and that my fellow classmates should learn more from me. I even got the 'role model' award!" He replied, jumping about like any other excited child would.

"Aigoo, our Sungjae got praised! I have a good news for you too, I can finally get you the figurine you have always wanted! Also, we have good food for dinner today because my boss gave me some food." With that, they set off for home.

Reaching home, Chorong set the table and had dinner with Sungjae. After that, she told Sungjae to sleep after finishing his work, and left to go back to the restaurant.

***

Two to three hours later, she was back home, rather glad to be able to tend to her wounds finally. She knew exactly what to do to different type of wounds or bruises, for she got them so much more often than anyone should. However, when she opened the door, she was greeted by a drunkard, stumbling about the living room while laughing and talking to himself. That drunkard, was her father.

"You finally decided to come back. But why on a day that I received my pay?"

Finally registering her presence, two questions were shot towards her. "Oh, you're back. Do you have any money? I ran out of money, care to give me some?"

Giving a cold look, she replied, "No I do not have money. Not for you to spend it on gambling anyway."

While she was walking towards her room, her father grabbed her and gave her a slap, with her landing on the floor. He picked up her bag and poured out all the contents, taking only the wallet. Opening it, he took a sum of money and threw the wallet back onto the floor. "Hopefully that will teach you not to be disrespectful to your father. You have $950 and you tell me you have no money? I took $700 and left $250 for you and Sungjae."

With tears starting to roll down her cheeks, she retaliated by grabbing her father's leg. "But that money is for me to get Sungjae his favourite figurine! $250 is not enough for me to buy that and still survive for this month!"

"If you cut down on how much you eat, I'm sure you both will get by. You're already so fat anyway. Or you could go get a second job, maybe for people to play with. Well I heard those women get paid pretty well." 

He walked away, leaving Chorong broken. By now she was a crying mess. Throwing everything into her bag, she went into her room and slammed the door shut. Picking up the sharperner on her study table, she broke it for the razor inside. Settling herself down on her bed, she broke down even further as a slit was made on her wrist, inviting red liquid to appear.

No wonder people hate me so much. I guess I deserved to be hit. Now why didn't they make me unconscious? Mother left this world because she was sick of me. Father does not want to care, and he sees me as a prostitude. I guess I'm a black sheep.