One

Whose Fault Is This?

 

Gimpo Airport – South Korea

14.02.23 – 09:31 am

 

Taemin exited the arrival gates, pulling his suitcase behind him as his eyes scanned the unfamiliar hall. It was his first time coming to Korea in four years and it felt odd to suddenly find himself there. He had a nervous feeling creeping up his throat, not sure yet how he had managed to convince himself that doing what he was planning to, was the right thing.

 

Mr. Lee?” called a voice behind him.

 

He turned around to be met by a tall and slightly tanned man, formally dressed in a black suit. As their eyes met, the man bowed deeply.

 

M. Kim sent me, I'm Jung Yunho, I will be your driver today.” he said.

 

Hello, Yunho-ssi.”

 

His voice was stern and his face indifferent as he greeted the man. He was in no mood to be sympathetic, and as the new head of his family, he had had years to understand this was the best way to keep his distance from possible threats.

 

If you would follow me...” Yunho said as he gestured to the entrance.

 

A slight nod and Taemin was off in the direction he had been shown, his suitcase now in the cares of his new driver.

 

Minutes later as he hopped in backseat of the black SUV the man had indicated to him, he let out a long sigh, allowing himself to regret his decision for a few seconds before his resolve to get revenge took the best of him.

 

There was no way he was going back on his word now. He had come way too far, anyway.

 

Excuse me, Mr. Lee,” the driver called as he entered the car as well, looking at him through the rear-view mirror. “Is there anywhere you would like to go to, before I take you to the mansion?”

 

Before, Taemin wouldn't have hesitated to ask to be driven to the cemetry, to visit his father's grave, but he figured there was no point in visiting a piece of stone any more.

 

No,” he answered. “just take me to Jaejoong.”

 

Of course, sir.”

 

Kim Mansion,

Cheongdam-dong – Seoul, South Korea

14.02.23 – 10:37 am

 

 

We have a special guest today.” Jaejoong said as he entered the living-room to find his youngest son sparled on the couch.

 

The eighteen year old teared his eyes from the TV to look at his father.

 

Who is it?” he lazily asked.

 

My nephew.” the older man replied, arms crossed over his chest.

 

Nephew?” his son asked, his deep voice a pitch higher. “Since when do I have cousins?”

 

Long story Jongin, his name is Taemin. I expect you to be a good boy and act as a good host.”

 

Dad~” the younger whined. “I'm not a kid anymore...”

 

Whatever you say Jonginnie,” the man replied, turning around to leave the room. “Yunho should be here with him at any moment, so you better get off the couch and make yourself presentable.”

 

A sigh was all he got as a reply before he heard fumbling. A slight smile appeared on Jaejoong's lips before he left the room and went to his office, to settle some paperwork.

 

It had been years since he had last seen Taemin and he was more than happy to know the young man was going to spend sometime with him. After his sister and her husband had decided to definetly move to Japan when Taemin was twelve, he had only seen his nephew on rare occasions. He had always appreciated the kid's brightness and the way he always tried to please everyone.

Yet, now Jaejoong was dreading the changes his beloved nephew had gone through. He knew for a fact the young CEO was not the clueless and innocent teen he had known anymore. And if their last conversation was any proof, he would even dare say he had become just as cold as his father had once been.

 

 

____________//____________

 

 

Hello?”

 

Jaejoong answered the phone and leaned back against his oak desk.

 

Uncle Jaejoong? It's Taemin.”

 

Tae! It's been so long, how are you?”

 

Fine, uncle.”

 

Jaejoong frowned, Taemin's voice sounded so monotone he had difficulties believing his words.

 

Anything wrong, little one?”

 

No... just... tell me, is your proposition still standing?”

 

Taken aback by the sudden reminder of the proposition he had made his nephew after his brother-in-law's death four years ago, Jaejoong hesistated.

 

Y-yeah... why?”

 

I thought about it,” Taemin answered. “I accept with one condition.”

 

 

____________//____________

 

 

 

Jaejoong sighed as he recalled the phone call. His little nephew was definetly not a kid anymore. He didn't know exactly what had happened to change the young man like this, but he knew Youngwoon, his father, had everything to do with it. He just hoped he wasn't making a mistake by accepting the condition Taemin had imposed him. He was probably not the most rightious person out there, but when it came to his family, he always hesistated on doing what he knew best.

 

Dad!”

 

He was pulled out of his thoughts as he heard his son yell his name.

 

They're here!”

 

Shaking the bad thoughts away, Jaejoong put a smile on his face, deciding Taemin deserved support from his family at least once.

 

Moments later as he reached the entrance hall, he saw Yunho come his way pulling a suitcase and being closely followed by Taemin. Jaejoong's smile grew wider as he adavanced and engulfed the younger in a bear hug, feeling the latter's arms wrap around his waist loosely.

 

Taeminnie!” he said, squeezing his nephew into his arms.

 

Uncle,” he heard Taemin choke. “I can't breath.”

 

Chuckling, he let go of the twenty-five year old.

 

Sorry.”

 

Taemin smiled at him and for a second he thought that maybe the younger hadn't changed at all.

 

Excuse me sir,” Yunho called from the side. “where do I put this?”

 

He designated the suitcase.

 

Just let it there Yunho, I'll have someone get it to the bedroom.” Jaejoong answered. “Thank you for your service.”

 

Yunho bowed with a slight smile on his face.

 

Yeah, thank you, Yunho-ssi.” Taemin said as the man made a move to leave.

 

You're welcome sir.”

 

After Yunho left, someone suddenly cleared their throat and both Taemin and Jaejoong turned their attention to the person, who was awkwardly standing there.

 

Oh right,” Jaejoong said. “Taeminnie, this is my son Jongin, do you remember him?”

 

Taemin frowned for a moment before his face softened.

 

Oh yeah,” he said. “the little kid that kept following me.”

 

He chuckled before stretching a hand out to him.

 

Hi, Jongin.”

 

H-hi.” Jongin said, shaking said hand. “Sorry but... how come I don't remember you?”

 

You were five when you last saw him,” Jaejoong answered. “and you were in Paris with your mother last time he came here.”

 

Jongin nodded in understanding, Jaejoong returning his attention to their guest.

 

You must be tired Taeminnie, I'll take you to your room.”

 

Actually not uncle,” Taemin said. “I would like to talk to you about... business.”

 

Jaejoong was a little taken aback, before he shook his head no.

 

Not today Tae, you have all your time. Come on, relax, okay?”

 

Taemin wanted to protest, but figured it was better to let things be. Jaejoong was right, he had all his time, it wouldn't hurt him to loosen up just for a day.

 

Fine.” he finally said.

 

Jaejoong smiled broadly at him before passing an arm around Taemin's shoulders and his son's.

 

So Jonginnie, let's show Taeminnie his bedroom and then you boys can have a little bonding time while I give some calls.”

 

Jongin scoffed.

 

Dad, I thought it was no-working day?”

 

It is,” the man said as they started walking to the staircase. “I'll just give some instructions to my men and I'm free to be with you kids.”

 

Taemin rolled his eyes at his uncle's poor excuse, muttering a “yeah right” as the three of them made their way up the stairs.

Though it had been years since he had last stepped into the mansion Jaejoong had inherited from his parents – and which he was supposed to share with his sister –, the place didn't seem to have gone through any major change.

From the walls painted beige, to the old furniture, everything still gave off a comfy feeling from the time he used to sleep over so just he could be with his favourite uncle.

 

As the memories crossed his mind, he couldn't help but think that maybe, coming to Korea wouldn't be all about unsettled business and that he could use the time there, to enjoy the company of the only person in his family that had never tried to control him like a puppet.

 

Minutes later, he found himself alone with Jongin in his old room and as the younger stood awkwardly, eyes shifting from a spot to another, Taemin walked to the balcony and threw open the bay window, letting the cold February breeze slip into the room as he took in a deep breath.

 

uh... Taemin-ssi... you might get a cold.” he heard Jongin mumble behind him.

 

Call me hyung, Jongin-ah.” he said, ignoring the younger's comment.

 

The latter cleared his throat.

 

Okay... hyung...”

 

Taemin suddenly shivered as his body started feeling the effects from the freezing air. He closed the bay window and turned around, a smile playing on his lips.

 

You've a grown a lot.” he told his cousin. “When we were kids, you used to follow me everywhere and cry rivers every time I had to go back home.”

 

At this, Jongin chuckled nervously, not very comfortable with the new information. He liked to play rough, being all manly and all, though in reality he was just a shy teenager trying to find his place. Knowing he was crybaby when he was a kid wasn't exactly helping the image he tried to give off.

 

Hyung,” he said after a moment of silence. “may I ask you something?”

 

Go on.”

 

Why'd you come here? I mean... it's been years and you suddenly...”

 

Taemin pursed his lips. He couldn't tell the boy the truth, though he was pretty sure the younger knew about the family's business, he just didn't think it was right for him to tell the teen what exactly had brought him there.

 

Business,” he said. “with your father.”

 

His kind of business?” Jongin asked, a grimace slighly deforming his features.

 

Partly.”

 

Taemin observed the younger nod in understanding.

 

So, tell me, how's your mother doing?” he asked to change the subject.

 

Jongin pouted.

 

Probably in some weird place with her new play-thing.”

 

Play-thing?” Taemin cocked an eyebrow as he went to sit on the king-sized bed, motionning for Jongin to join him.

 

Husband.” the latter said, a tone that almost sounded disguted on his voice.

 

At that, Taemin had to stiffle a chuckle. Somehow, Jongin reminded him of himself some years back and though it felt good to find someone he could relate to, he felt oddly protective over the boy. If his cousin was just as clueless as he had been, then he would need all the guidance he could have and Taemin wouldn't spare his efforts to be there for him.

 

And like this, the day went on. They went out to eat in a restaurant with Jaejoong, the man constantly recalling funny – and embarassing – moments both boys had lived during their childhood. They spent the whole time together, going out to the movies, and so on.

As night started coming though, Taemin could feel tiredness weighing down his body, and yet as he retired to his bedroom after dinner, he couldn't find any sleep, his mind way too busy wandering off the things he had to do starting off the next day.

 

A knock on his door brought him back to reality and his sat up on the bed and lit the bedside light, not bothering to cover his bare chest as he called his visitor in.

 

Tae,” Jaejoong said as he slipped into the room, a file in his hands. “why am I not surprised you're still awake?”

 

Taemin slightly smiled at that, despite all this time, his uncle still knew the most basic things when it came to him.

 

Can't sleep.” he informed anyway.

 

Jaejoong advanced to the bed and gave the file he was holding to him.

 

I was thinking of giving it to you tomorrow but... knowing you, it would've only haunted you all night.”

 

Taemin took the bunch of papers as his heart started racing. He looked expectantly at his uncle and the man sighed, crossing his arms over his chest.

 

It's all the information my men managed to collect.”

 

Nodding, Taemin stared at the light brown surface of the file's cover.

 

Thanks uncle.”

 

It's nothing, little one.” the man said. “Just, think carefully about what you wanna do with that.”

 

I already have.”

 

Jaejoong sighed at the retort but didn't say anything. Instead, his leaned forward and pecked his nephew's forehead, just like he used to when the younger was kid, before ruffling his hair.

 

Don't stay up late reading that.”

 

Taemin just smiled before wishing his uncle a goodnight as the man left the room.

 

Once alone with the file, he his lips, nervous as to what he was about to discover. It was as if, as soon as he opened the folder, all the feelings he had managed to repress would come back rushing on him.

And yet, the fear of that happening didn't prevent him from reading what he had just been given. All these things, informations, made his heart ache and his determination only swelled.

 

Still, one single element stood out from the twenty pages he read.

 

And that was where he decided he would start.

 


A/N: Hiyo~!

Here it is, the first chapter. I hope you guys didn't find too boring, it's more like an introduction, to present Tae and his family *squeals in delight for having put Jaejoong into this* Anways, random me will shut up. Thank you all for subscribing and for those who commented, it really makes me happy. So, what do you guys think of Tae's relationship with his dear uncle? And Jongin? What did Tae discover in this file? About who? Tell me what you think!

With love,

Soo <3