Panini Desire

28 Steps

“You know, when they said 28Dolls, I didn’t think they’d actually mean they’re making a group with twenty-eight girls,” Minji told the other choreographer, Hyoyeon, as they sat and watched the girls stretch, getting ready for practice.

           There, twenty-eight of them were, trying to find space in the tiny room to stretch their incredibly long legs. The girls were all thin, the same tall height, and basically all had the same beautiful face. Minji was astounded that the company was able to find twenty-eight carbon copies to put in one place.

           “Not all of them are gonna make it. I can tell. Especially that one over there.” Hyoyeon nodded her head to a girl with deep red hair and wild eyes that quickly moved across the room.

           “I already see in her eyes that she’s gonna crack under the pressure,” Hyoyeon said.

           “Someone’s pessimistic,” Minji commented.

           “I have been right about these things for the past five groups that I’ve had to organize. You can always see the ones who won’t make it.”

           And, in fact, the one with the red hair ran out crying before Minji could even finish explaining the first eight count. Minji looked back over to see Hyoyeon with a smug look on her face, then leaving the room to tend to the girl.

           It was impossible to see if any of the girls were making mistakes; they were stacked on top of one another in the small room trying to breathe. They needed a warehouse and cameras to see them all. At the end of the girls’ first complete run through of the dance, Kai walked into the room. When they finally finished, they all bowed to him.

           “Not bad ladies. Minji, did you choreograph all of this?” Kai asked giving his warm smile to Minji.

           “Hyoyeon did parts of it.”

           “Well then you two are a dream together. Girls run through the dance one more time, then you can head back home,” he told them.

           Minji leaned against the wall with Hyoyeon and sat down.

           “What if he doesn’t like the dance?”

           “He already does, I showed it to him this morning,” Hyoyeon told her.

           “What did he say?”

           “I showed him the versions with and without the moonwalk. This is why we’re doing the version without the moonwalk,” Hyoyeon grinned at her.

           “Well I liked the moonwalk version,” Minji grumbled.

           “Ladies, that was pretty good for learning it just today. You guys are doing great, keep up the good work and rest well tonight, you have a big day of practice tomorrow,” Minji heard Kai say.

           The girls filed out the room and left Minji, Hyoyeon, and Kai by themselves.

           “This is too ing small. How the hell do they expect us to get anything done with thirty people in the room?” he complained.

           “We can try to teach in the parking lot,” Minji suggested.

           “You know the company won’t let them eat more than anything but a salad and a single grain of rice. They don’t have enough body fat to keep them warm. They’ll freeze to death,” Hyoyeon joked.

           “Very true. Plus, these girls are so pale, I’m not sure if they know what the sun is. It might hurt their eyes,” Kai sighed.

           Hyoyeon laughed, “Listen, I’m leaving you two. I have things to do, places to be. See you later.”

           Hyoyeon left the room and Minji and Kai sat in awkward silence for a few moments. Minji didn’t really know how to act around people who were beautiful. She mostly stayed far away from them in order not to embarrass herself.

           “So Minji, do you want get something to eat?”

           Minji thought about it for a moment. She had already had a sandwich, so she wasn't too hungry and didn't fear that she'd lose control over her eating.

             "Yes. I'm starving."

 


 


Kai took her to a small cafe in a quiet side of town where trees lined the streets and tiny dining tables sat close to their restaurants like babies to their mothers.

               Minji ordered a small salad thinking she wouldn't be that hungry, but she practically drooled over Kai's panini. She would have to hit up McDonald's after this.

    "So Minji... How'd you get into choreography?" Kai asked, taking a bite of his french fry. The way his teeth gracefully descended upon the fry and his jaw smoothly and rhythmically chewed upon it was stunning. She had to admit that Kai was the best chewer she had ever seen.

"I had no money," Minji began, snapping herself out of her trance, "and I knew that I could dance so I started trying out for companies for their choreographers’ positions."

"So you tried out for our company?"

"No, actually. Chaerin, Kris's girlfriend, talked to some people there and they liked me, so here I am."

"I'm glad she set you up here," Kai coyly smiled at her.        

Minji blushed, looked down, and let out a tiny, “thank you,” before taking a bite of her salad.

“How did you start dancing?” Minji asked, trying to divert his attention from her reddening face.

“I danced when I was younger. I was even in ballet for a little while,” Kai explained.

“I guess it’s why you’re such a beautiful dancer,” Minji commented.

Kai smirked, “You’re just being nice. I’m not that good.”

“No! Watching you is like watching a very suave angel dance.”

Kai smirked, “Enough about me. Tell me about you. How’d you start dancing?”

“It’s in the family. I guess you could say that I was born to dance.”

“See? Dancing’s in your soul. You’re better than me.”

Minji had finished her salad while Kai had only taken a few bites of his sandwich. The panini looked so delicious with its melted cheese and ham melded together, and the lovely grill marks on the bread made her hot and bothered. She was going to have to circle back here when they left to get one.

“Minji,” Kai said, interrupting her thoughts about the panini.

"Yes?"

Kai stared intensely at Minji, biting his lip at the same.

"This was really fun. I hope we can do this again," Kai said, twirling his straw with his finger.

Minji looked up at him and smiled. He smiled in return.

Minji and Kai left the restaurant and walked out into the chilly night air.

They talked about the weather and how far 28Dolls would make it before they lost steam. Kai asked her how much longer she had at the company before she had to leave. Minji told him that her contract would end once 28Dolls debuted. He nodded in silence, but his eyes seemed sad. She figured it was because he regretted not eating that panini.