Can You Understand?

WGM Global Edition (HIATUS)

Baekhyun swept his hair to the side, glancing every now and then at his rearview mirror. "I look good, right?" He asked as he wiggled his eyebrows to the camera. "I'm supposed to be meeting my wife now. Wah, this is nerve wrecking. I wonder what she looks like. You know, I like a girl who's clean and cute. Ah, WGM, you better not disappoint me." He wagged his finger at the camera before turning his attention back to the road.

 

He had been driving for what seemed like days as he grew anxious for their first meeting. "First meetings are very important because of the first impression. I have to make sure I'm the best. Well, I don't really need to try hard for that." He laughed to himself, stopping halfway as he found it quite odd.

 

The scenery outside gradually changed from a bustling city to a serene setting on the beach. He rolled down his windows, hearing the sound of the waves calm his nerves down a bit. "I have to wear pink shorts," he had said to the camera, pointing down at his garment. "I'm not really into pink. Chenah is, but I'm not." He sighed as he leaned his chin on the steering wheel, waiting for the light to turn green. "But I'm sure my wife will look beautiful in pink, so I guess this is worth it," he mumbled to himself this time.

 

Once he reached the beach, he parked near the open restaurant, scanning the area for any woman dressed in pink. To his dismay, the whole place lacked of customers; therefore, his wife wasn't in the premises. "I guess I'll have to wait. You know, I'm not a fan waiting. So, jagiya, next time we go on a date, you better be there early." He eyed at the camera, meaning for his wife to see it when she watches the broadcast.

 

His feet dragged him to the nearest table as he could feel the fluids in the pit of his stomach rise up to his throat. He was nervous to the point where his reflexes made him want to vomit. He held it in, shaking his legs while he was sitting. As he was occupied with the tablecloth, one of the employees had given him a red envelope, surprising him as he took it with a bow. "Ah, it says here that my wife will come at noon." He glanced at the clock, frowning when he saw the hour hand at 11. "You've got to be kidding me," he grumbled slightly as he flipped the letter to see if there were any contents in the back to find it completely empty. "They sent me a letter with just this? Couldn't you have sent it the first time? Aigoo, WGM, you're making me a wreck over here."

 

He smiled, flashing his bright teeth to the camera, as he stood up and paced around the open restaurant. His eyes lingered on the lanterns that hung at the ends of the roof. "I have an idea. Let's go buy something." He tapped the bottom of the camera before winking at the cameraman to follow him.

 

Baekhyun walked to his car, grabbing a hat from the back seat and adjusting it to his head. "I have an hour to spare, so might as well get my wife something, right? What kind of man wouldn't buy his wife a present? Obviously a failure, that's who." As he found a nearby store, he parked his car and entered the place, tugging his hat low to cover his face. He didn't want to be spotted by his fans, especially on a day like this.

 

He bowed to the store owner as he wandered around, making jokes at the individual items. "Look at this! It's a whoopee cushion. I remember Taeminah sunbaenim had bought this during his WGM. It's weird that he would buy this, but I guess that he's that kind of person. You hear that Taeminah sunbaenim? I'm saying you're weird." He snickered before putting the item down and glancing around the store.

 

"Well, let's start with what every girl wants. Make up? Perfume? Flowers? Me?" He chuckled at his latter suggestion. "What about this?" He pulled on a lei that hung against the wall. The flower had a purple and pink pattern, and each individual flower had faded to white at the ends of the petals. He wrapped it over his neck, staring at a mirror across the section and nodding to himself. "We'll get matching leis, like how couples have matching tshirts. What else should I get?" His hands touched everything nearby, and he came across something else that caught his attention.

 

It was a ring with a flower at the center that had matched the lei he had picked prior. "What married couple doesn't have a ring?" He picked out two, assuming her ring size and figuring that if it didn't fit, they would just come back to exchange it.

 

"Wait, what if I can't even talk to her? This is Global Edition. I can't speak English. The only language I know is Korean. Well, I can introduce myself in Japanese, but that's about it!" He groaned, slapping his forehead before turning his face to the camera. "Like I said WGM, you're making a wreck out of me."

 

He noticed that the time was ten minutes till noon, so he quickly paid for his items, thanking the store owner before heading out to his car. He drove back to his initial spot when he came to the beach, walking over to the same table that he had fidgeted for a couple of minutes to wait for his wife. Baekhyun studied every customer that had walked in, and he merely frowned when none of them wore pink. At least it wasn't common so he wouldn't mistaken his wife for someone else.

 

Just then, a girl had walked in. Her honey brown hair had flowed down to her waist and curled in various directions. It framed her face perfectly as she pulled it all to one side of her shoulder. Her sunglasses were settled on the top of her head, pushing her hair back and revealing a gorgeous face that made Baekhyun practically drool all over the table. Her eyes were bright and big, covered with light, natural eyeshadow and only mascara to outline it. Her sunkissed skin matched well with the bright pink bikini that glued to her body, showing her curves very well.

 

The girl turned her attention to Baekhyun, glancing down at his shorts before smiling.

 

"Ah! You must be my husband!" Baekhyun stared at her, her Japanese not processing through his brain.

 

"Um. Sorry. I cannot understand." He spoke in his English as best as he could. Great, now he finally got to marry a beautiful girl and he couldn't even understand her.

 

"My name is Suzuki Mihyun," the girl introduced herself with her choppy Korean, bowing and flashing another one of her breath-taking smiles.

 

"I'm Baekhyun. Oh, I have present for you! Actually, I have a couple." He watched as her expression obviously showed confusion, and he gestured to his bag. "Me. Present. You."

 

"You got me a present?" He nodded his head, taking note next time to bring a Japanese to Korean dictionary. Baekhyun handed her the bag, which she excitedly took from his grasp and opened. She pulled the contents out, grinning from ear to ear at the matching leis.

 

Baekhyun took it from her as he wrapped it around her neck, his face merely a few inches from her as he smiled at the girl. "Beautiful... My wife is beautiful."

 

Mihyun felt a little bad that she couldn't reply to him in Korean. Her mother seldom spoke Korean, but when she did, Mihyun could understand it. The problem is, she only understood the basics such as time to eat, or wake up, or what is wrong with you, you dumb child. She couldn't pick up anything he said, and now she was going to have to learn in order to communicate with him.

 

"Wait, I have something else." He pulled the last item a the very bottom of the bag, taking a hold of her hand which caused her to jump at the sudden skinship. This boy was her first "date" and he was already getting comfortable with touching her. Mihyun watched as he slipped the ring on her finger, smiling to himself when it had fit perfectly.

 

"Wah, a ring! It's so beautiful! Thank you so much, Baekhyun-kun. It's amazing..." She smiled as she held it up to the light to get a better view of it. "Ah, thank you!" She spoke in Korean, one of the few phrases that she remembered from her mother.

 

Baekhyun pointed towards the beach, gesturing the motions of swimming as he couldn't exactly say it to her. She nodded as she understood, taking the bag and her few other belongings and headed towards there, leaving Baekhyun behind with the camera. He glared over at it, pointing at whoever was watching it, though he meant it for the script writers. "A wreck. That's what you're making out of me."

 

 

 

 


I hope you enjoyed the first chapter!!

This is going to be quite difficult for me to write since I'm not sure exactly how they're going to communicate, but that's the beauty of it all!

Oh the struggles of the author....

I got this idea from Key's WGM Global Edition, but luckly Key and Arisa can actually speak to each other...

Haha!!

Enjoy!!