Last

Deception

Late at night when everyone was already preparing to sleep, a small click of door unlocking could be heard. Another overtime work for Mr. Cho. He lazily removed his shoes, tossed his keys on the table in the foyer, and unceremoniously dropped his business bag. A long day at work took toll on his body.

He looked around the dark apartment and was contemplating whether to turn on the lights or not. He did not want to see anything that would remind him of Sungmin, so decided to leave it as it is. He slowly dragged his feet and stumbled on the thing cluttered on the floor. He groaned and searched in the dark for the thing that made him fall. His hand land on something soft, fluffy and wet. He got up slowly and reluctantly switched the lights on. He saw shoes scattered on the ground beside the lone towel. He rearranged the shoes back in the rack and took the towel. It was still wet, so it must not have been long since Sungmin left.

It was very unlikely for Sungmin to leave their apartment in an untidy state. He could still remember back in the days when they were just roommates in their college dorm. Kyuhyun could always do his own thing. He could study, do his home works, or just play around all day, and he won't need to worry about cleaning their shared room. No matter how tired Sungmin may be, he would still clean after Kyuhyun and took cake of his dongsaeng.

Maybe, that's what drew Kyuhyun in. He got used to Sungmin taking care of and giving attention to him to the point that he cannot live without the older anymore. At first, he was hesitant to voice out his feelings, but when it was close to Sungmin's graduation, he gathered all of his courage and confessed.

"Oh Kyuhyun! I've been waiting for this moment to come. You don't know how happy I am right now."

It was Sungmin's words that made their relationship possible. Though Kyuhyun still have two years of college to go that time, they decided to live in together in a small apartment.

It was all perfect. Their family and friends accepted and supported their relationships. It was the best thing that happened to their life. When Kyuhyun graduated, he was able to enter in an accounting firm instantly. Sungmin was doing well being a manager of a well known coffee shop. Because of that, they were able to move in to a more spacious place, but it was also when everything changed.

Before, he would always wake up with the smell of freshly brewed coffee, and breakfast would be already prepared. It would be followed by a morning kiss courtesy of Sungmin, and then they would happily eat their breakfast. At night, they would eat dinner together while sharing things that happened to them that day. No matter how tired they would be, the last words that they would hear from each other were 'I love you.'

One by one, all of this routine and gestures faded until they almost became strangers. It was worse than how they treat each other when they were still roommates. Now, Kyuhyun would stay at work as long as he could just to avoid going back home in an empty and cold walls. This is now their new routine. Sungmin would sleep in the morning and go to his new job at a club at night. He would only come home when it's time for Kyuhyun to leave just to show him how wasted he was and maybe let him notice the evidence of his unfaithfulness too.

Kyuhyun would always turn a blind eye. Before he left for work, he would always help Sungmin change clothes and he would make sure that his lover would be comfortable sleeping before he leaves. He would also leave an aspirin and a bottle of sports drink on their nightstand if he would ever experience hangover.

 

Kyuhyun crashed his tired body on the sofa. He remove his coat and tie and threw them on the floor. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He held the towel once again and embraced it. He could still smell the sweet scent of Sungmin. He didn't realize that a day would come that he would not be able to hold Sungmin close in his arms again. He miss his smell. He miss his touch. He miss his voice. He miss Sungmin. He cried while holding the towel close to his body and forced himself to sleep on the couch.

Kyuhyun stirred from his sleep when he heard the sound of the door unlocking. He was not aware what time it was, but he didn't care. Sungmin's home, and he wanted to welcome him back.

He got up and headed to the door. He saw Sungmin leaning on the wall and struggling to remove his shoes. He slowly approached his drunken lover and helped him remove the unwanted footwear. Sungmin didn't say anything; no greeting nor rejection. He ignored Kyuhyun and was walking directly to their once shared room. He was swaying hard, so Kyuhyun linked his arms on him.

"Let go of me." Sungmin ordered.

That was the first words that Sungmin said to Kyuhyun for almost a month now. However, no matter how painful those words were, he didn't let go. Instead, he held tighter.

"I said let me go! Can't you understand simple words, idiot?" Sungmin added. Now he started struggling to free himself. He even began hitting Kyuhyun with his flimsy arms.

"What are you still doing here? Why don't you do both of us a favor and get lost? You're suffocating me. When would you give me my freedom?"

"You're drunk. Let's go to bed now." Kyuhyun said. He doesn't like the flow of their conversation. He want Sungmin to stop voicing out his thoughts and emotion.

"Let's break up."

Kyuhyun didn't respond. He just continued walking to their room. Sungmin was physically, mentally and emotionally tired. He halted, but Kyuhyun was determined to reach the room.

"I said let's break up." Sungmin said in a louder and resolved voice.

"Sungmin-"

"I've had enough! Now get out of this apartment, or I'm the one moving out."

"Sungmin please. Don't do this to me. It's too late now. We're both tired. Let's just go to sleep."

Sungmin slapped Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun was shocked and let go of Sungmin. He touched his aching cheek while his eyes uncontrollably wept. The slap was nothing compared to the pain he's feeling on his heart. Sungmin slumped on the floor. He also started crying. It was too much. Being with Kyuhyun kills him day by day. He cannot stand his scent. He can't stand his presence. He can't stand hearing his voice. He can't stand being with Kyuhyun.

"I did exactly what you did to me. I said exactly what you said to me, but why? Why I'm the only one hurting this much?" Sungmin stood up and gripped Kyuhyun's collar with both hands. "Tell me! Tell me how did you enjoy spending time with other people. How can you take delight in touching them? How can you have pleasure in cheating?"

Kyuhyun was out of words. He knew it was all his fault. He just embraced Sungmin and let the two of them cry. When Sungmin passed out from exhaustion, Kyuhyun carried Sungmin to their room. He changed his and Sungmin's clothes and made sure Sungmin was comfortable before climbing to the bed beside him.

"Good night Sungmin." Kyuhyun said then kissed his lover's forehead. "I love you."

 

 

A lone tear escaped Sungmin's eyes. "I love you too Kyuhyun." He whispered in his sleep.