What Hurts The Most (Kung Wala Ka)

What Hurts The Most (Kung Wala Ka)

A/N: I recommend all my readers to read this story w/ background music. To all my Filipino readers, I recommend Kung Wala Ka by Hale and to all my readers from other countries, I recommend What Hurts The Most (Slow Version) by Cascada

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

How long has it been since you left? Ah, that is right. It’s been two years. Before, I thought that all my life, I will spend it together with you but I was wrong.

When you left, I became a different person. Different from whom you knew. I became a distant person. I shut everybody except for our closest friends. I confide to no one and just locked away myself at my house.

This house, before it is full of fun and sweet things but now all I can feel is bittersweet. Whenever I would remember all the times that we had share here, I would feel happy but at the same I would feel sad because it is all part of the past now. Before, whenever I would look out at the window, the very first thing that would greet me is your smiling eyes but now, all I could see is a fading image of you.

We started off as childhood friends then became best friend. When we entered school, we became classmates, high school friends, and college buddies. When we started working, for a short while we became office mates till you decided to left the company for a new one and that is where you met the Prince that swept you away

--------

I woke up at the sound of my dog barking outside. I didn’t know that I felt asleep. I looked outside and saw that it’s already dark. I looked at my wall clock to see what the time is already.

It’s already 8 in the evening. It’s time for me to have my dinner but I don’t have any appetite at all so I stood up and went outside. I started to walk aimlessly. I don’t know. Maybe it is already becoming a habit of mine ever since the day you left to walk aimlessly. Every time I would walk aimlessly, I would always end up in front of this playground – the playground where we first met.

 I entered the playground and sat at the swing and hung my head low. I’m becoming the old me – the old introvert me. Well it’s my fault. I ended all ways of communication. I changed my number and deactivated all of my SNS accounts. Just like what I said, only our closest friends and my family are the only persons that I interact with.

“You look like the old you there with you sitting all alone”

That voice…No it can’t be…

I looked up to see who talked to me.

“Hey, it’s been a while Taeyeon”

It’s her. The girl I’ve spent almost all the years of my life, the girl who left me two years ago and the girl who I love.

I wanted to reply but my throat suddenly felt dry and my voice won’t come out instead I examined her and saw a ring – a diamond ring on her ring finger. My eyes are fixated on the ring till she covered it with her hand. I looked up and she avoided my gaze. She walked and sat at the swing beside me.

I mustered up all of the courage left in me and talked.

“That – that ring”

“I’m already engaged”

“With him?”

“Yes”

“Since when?”

“Since last month”

“I see. I’m happy for you” I said that I’m happy for her but the words that came out from my lips felt empty.

“Thank you”

The two of us stayed silent. Neither of us was talking. It’s the first time that we had an atmosphere that is far from the comfortable ones that we always had before but this unrecognizable and unidentified atmosphere that we have was broken with her voice.

“Taeyeon”

“Hmm?”

“Do you have someone special?”

“I have but that person…that person already has someone else in fact that person is already about to marry.”

“I see. You know that person has a really bad taste because that person didn’t chose you”

“That person didn’t need to choose because I never told that person about my feelings”

“But still that person should’ve realized the great amount of love and importance that you are giving. I bet that you are far greater than the person that that person is going to marry”

“Heh, don’t be like that. I know that the person whom my special one is going to marry can give my special someone all the happiness and love that my special someone deserves. The happiness and love that I can’t give”

We became silent again.

“It’s already late, Fany ah. I think you should go now. Your parents will be worried. He will be worried”

“You’re right”

The both of us stood up and walked towards the main road. There were no other people aside from us.

“You know what, Fany ah? Let’s part ways just like what we always do when we were young”

“The cowboy style?” I nodded. The both of us turn around.

I remember this is what we would do before whenever it is hard for us to separate from each other.

“Okay, after three both of us will start to walk”

“Okay”

“One” I started counting

One last time…I saw you one last time before you get married.

“Two”

Two years…all those two years that I mourned for you will now come to an end.

“Three”

Goodbye my love…

The both of us started to walk. Neither of us is allowed to turn around or to stop walking. I – I wanted to increase my pace but my body won’t let me. I kept on walking with a slow pace.

“Kim Taeyeon” She called me.

Why? Why did she call my name?

I was about to turn around but she stopped me.

“No, don’t turn around. You…You, Kim Taeyeon, have been my childhood friend, my best friend, my partner and my savior heck you are even my first love.”

What did she say? Me? Her first love?

“Yes, I fell in love with Taeyeon. You are wrong when you said that you can’t provide me happiness and love. All those time, all those time that we had spent together those were the happiest days of my life and every time that I’m with you; you never fail even once to let me feel loved. To tell you the truth, I did saw a happy future with you, Taeyeon but it all change when he…when he came into my life. The future that I dreamt of ever since I was young, I can see it with him. Taeyeon, you…you deserve all the happiness and love more than me. I’m sorry…I’m sorry that I can’t return your feelings anymore but remember this; you will always be my eternal friend – my eternal partner.”

I heard footsteps. The sound of the footsteps became louder and louder till I felt a warm pair of arms wrapped around my waist.

“Goodbye, Kim Taeyeon” She whispered. Right after she said those words, she ran away. Right there and there, all the defenses that I built up the past two years broke down. I feel to my knees and cried my heart out.

“AH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” I shouted out all the emotions that I’ve bottled up.