Goodbye

Smiling Down

“Oh my god…So…that’s why you tried to stop Hyunseong before?” She said with her tear-stained cheeks.

I nodded. “Yeah…No one deserves to go through that…I don’t want it happening again.”

“I can’t even imagine how you felt.” She continued.

I gave her a smile. “I remember the feelings very well, but I think I’ve gotten over most of them now that I’ve told you everything.”

Her jaw dropped as if I told her that I was a kpop idol.

“How?” she asked.

“Well I had everything locked up inside of me. It helped me sort out my thoughts and remember what she told me.” I told her.

“And that is?” she asked.

I scratched my head. “Well I guess it’s this one thing she told me this one time. Like I told you, it was hard for both of us to show our emotions, but she told me something this one rare time. She said, ‘Your happiness brings my happiness, so when you’re sad, I am sad’. I kind of want to think that she is up there smiling down at me, so I want to be happy for her.”

She started to cry again. I laughed at her crying face and helped her wipe her tears.

“You’re sho shweet!” she said as she choked on her own tears.

I giggled at her.

She eventually calmed down and she had a few more questions for me.

“You said before that you’re tired…so you felt like giving up after she…passed away?” she asked me.

I nodded. “I wanted to give up so many times, but something kept me hanging on. Maybe deep down I knew she was smiling down at me, and felt like continuing.”

She then gave me a hug. “Thank you for telling me your story.” She released me from her embrace and smiled at me. “So you’re going to move on from all of this? Not just getting off the streets, but…falling in love again?”

I gave her a smirk. “You like me or something?” I giggled. She blushed at my response. “I am ready to go back to work, but I have no idea about love. If I fall in love again, that’s alright. If I don’t, that’s alright too. She made me the happiest person ever, and that’s all I really need. I’ll live with those memories and I’ll still be happy.”

She looked like she was about to cry again, but I gave her a hug.

“What about you? What are you going to do about Hyunseong?” I asked her.

She thought for a bit.

“I received a letter from a childhood friend that I lost contact with a long time ago, telling me that she just became a police officer. She said that if I have any concerns that I can contact her.” She told me.

A huge smile appeared on my face. “That’s great. You should take her up on your offer. I want you to be safe and happy.”

She gave me a nod. “Thanks. I was scared of what may happen…if it just made things worse, but I’ve changed my mind after you told me your story. Thanks a lot Yoongi.”

She gave me a final hug and we both went to sleep. Tomorrow is the day I go and start finding a job and the day my new life begins.

I looked up at the dark sky one last time and whispered, “Thank you.”


The next morning I went out to scavenge a bit more, and came back to wait for her to wake up.

“Rise and shine sunshine~!” I giggled.

She woke up and noticed the guitar in my hands.

“What’s that for?” she asked.

“You know the guy who lives in the other corner of this building? He always had this guitar and I asked to borrow it for one last show.” I told her as I grabbed her hand and took her out to the streets.

I placed a can on the ground and sat at the ledge of a wall. I played with the guitar as I tried to remember the strings to the song.

“I didn’t know you played the guitar Yoongi. When did you learn?” She inquired.

I smiled as I stared at the strings. “She taught me. She taught me her favourite song, and now that I think about it, it’s like she knew all of this would happen.”

I began to play the harmony for the song. Once I got to the right point, I began to sing.

Smiling Down – One Ok Rock - [Translation]

“You flew away
Before I could say
Taken away before your time
Up into the clouds
So I let go of the belief of ever being able to see you again
No matter how many nights come to pass, us meeting is impossible

Now you’re gone
You left your song
What can I do with this pain?
What sort of song do I sing to myself?
I hope you’re smiling down
Now you’re gone
You’re really gone
Since our set paths
Are already diverging
Face the truth
I will just sing for you
Sing for you"

I strummed the guitar and noticed pedestrians gathering around me.

“It always happens without warning
After everything has suddenly been taken from us
Tears of sadness stream down
Time just left you behind
And I don’t know why
How can I accept
Something I don’t understand?”

A few people were tossing in a bit of cash into the can as I continued singing.

“Now you’re gone
You left your song
What can I do with this pain?
What sort of song do I sing to myself?
I hope you’re smiling down
Now you’re gone
You’re really gone
Since our set paths
Are already diverging
Face the truth
I will just sing for you

Now you’re gone
You left your song
What can I do with this pain?
What sort of song do I sing to myself?
I hope you’re smiling down
Now you’re gone
You’re really gone
Since our set paths
Are already diverging
Face the truth
I will just sing for you.”

Everyone applauded as I placed the guitar down. They threw in more cash in which the can became too small for everything. I took off my hat and collected the rest of the money with a smile.

After everyone left, I began to total up the cash I received. Suddenly a pair of arms wrapped around me.

“I can really see why she loved you.” She told me.

I smiled. “I always thought that if she was with someone else, she might still be alive right now. It’s only now that I realise that she wouldn’t have wanted to change a thing. I mean of course she probably wouldn’t have gone out that day by herself, but she wouldn’t have changed the fact that she dated me; she loved me.”

I counted $113.65 and split the money in half. I gave her half and gave her the guitar.

“Give that back to the man for me, will you?” I asked her.

She gave me a surprised look.

“What’s the money for?” she asked.

I gave her a hug. “I’m leaving now. Take that money to help you go by.”

She began to cry again.

“I’ll miss you so much Yoongi.” She told me as she hugged me back.

“I’ll miss you too. I’m really glad I met you.” I responded.

I released her and took out a scrap piece of paper I collected from this morning along with a pen that barely works. I jotted down the name of the company I use to work for and its address.

“Here.” I said as I gave her the note. “Let’s meet up on September 15th of this year at this place and catch up. We’ll go from there, okay?”

She smiled and nodded.

“Goodbye Yoongi. I’ll take good care of your ring. See you then.” She said.

I gave her a kiss on the cheek. “Goodbye.”


Thank you all for reading this short fic! I really hope you enjoyed it, and possibly held back the tears. 

I believe that this is the best fic I've ever written, and I hope to write more amazing fics.

THANK YOU AGAIN! :3