II

Finding Beauty In A Beast [hiatus]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jonghyun walked past Key’s room, stopping to pick up the rose that the younger had, once again, not accepted and replacing it with the fresh one he had just bought.

“Jonghyun hyung, it’s been three days; don’t you think it’s time to let him go?” Minho suggested as he walked through the hall with a bowl of cereal in his hands.

“He just needs time!” Jonghyun snapped, and Minho raised his hands in surrender. “That’s all; just time.”

“Okay, whatever you say, hyung.” Minho replied and continued his retreat back to his and Taemin’s room.

Jonghyun huffed, annoyed that Minho would even suggest that. The younger boy was meant to be his best friend, yet here he was, trying to stop the elder and Kibum falling in love. Whatever. Jonghyun didn’t need Minho’s support; he’s been just fine on his own.

Jonghyun rapped his fist against the door a few times to let Key know he was there.

“Kibum?” Jonghyun called through the bedroom door that had refused to open the entire time Kibum had been there. “Are you awake?”

There was no answer, yet Jonghyun continued.

“Are you hungry? I could make you some food.” The addict offered. He was beginning to worry; this was the morning of the fourth day Kibum’s been here, not including the very first day when Jonghyun brought him home, and the feline-like boy hadn’t been eating, or speaking, or even coming out of the room Jonghyun had given him. “Please Key; you have to understand that I'm not trying to hurt you. I just can’t let you leave yet, but that doesn’t mean I’ll never let you go. I want you to be healthy and happy here.”

From somewhere inside the room, Jonghyun swears he heard a soft scoff. Even though the noise wasn’t at the top of his list of sounds he’d like to hear coming from Kibum’s mouth, it still brought a smile to his face.

“I get that you don’t want to talk to me; but, is there anything I can do for you to answer me?” Jonghyun waited for a reply. He heard light footsteps and for a second, he let himself get his hopes up.

“Taemin.”

That was the reply he received. Key’s voice was soft and sweet and sent a flurry of emotions through Jonghyun’s body, despite the answer confusing the hell out of him.

“Taemin? What about Taemin?” Jonghyun frowned, confused.

“He’s the only one I’ll talk to; not the crazy tall, froggy-looking boy; and not you.” Kibum’s voice was muffled by the door, but Jonghyun got the message loud and clear. Not him.

Jonghyun sighed.

‘Not me.’ He thought, dejected. Still, he obliged.

“Okay,” Jonghyun agreed; at this point, he was willing to do anything to get Key to eat something. “If that’s what you want Bummie. I’ll go get Taemin.”

~ ~ ~

Inside the room, Key heard footsteps growing softer as they went. He breathed out a sigh of relief, knowing it was Jonghyun leaving. Four days ago, Jonghyun being so kind and caring toward him seemed like the highlight of his life; now, just hearing the elder man’s voice made him sick to his stomach.

Bummie.

The nickname rang loud in Key’s mind. The boy felt disgusted; disgusted at the way Jonghyun so nonchalantly called him by something so affectionate. Who did Jonghyun think he was to even act like he cared about Key? The feline boy didn’t have time to ponder it further as his train of thought was derailed by a knock at the door.

“Uh, Key?” the childlike voice belonged to Taemin. Key was thankful of the younger boy to come. “It’s me – oh, uh, Taemin, I mean. Jonghyun hyung said that you would only speak to me. Is it okay for me to come in?”

Key nodded, and then face-palmed when he realised that Taemin couldn’t see him.

“Yes!” he called, just loud enough for Taemin to hear him, instead.

There was a pause and then the young boy entered, closing the door behind him.

Taemin was met with the sight of Key sitting on the bed, his knees were being hugged to his chest by his arms that, while thin before, now resembled toothpicks. Key looked sick; the vibrant, full of life boy that Taemin had first met was now nothing but an empty shell. His eyes held no life in them, his lips were chapped, he had lost weight due to refusing all of the food that they offered him (stress and fear probably played a large part too, Taemin noted) and he hadn’t even bothered to change clothes, despite how many times Jonghyun had gone out to buy him new outfits.

“Hi Key.” Taemin waved with one hand, the other was occupied holding a rose that Kibum had yet to notice. Taemin was walking on eggshells around Kibum, not sure what would set him off or scare him away. “C-Can I call you ‘Key’? Is that nickname reserved for people close to you? Would you rather I call you ‘Kibum’? I mean, I could call you,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter