I

Finding Beauty In A Beast [hiatus]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kim Kibum – known to most as 'Key' – tapped on his desk out of boredom as he waited for his World History class to end. It wasn't his favourite class; in fact, he didn't even want to take the class in the first place, but he thought that it might help him with his clothing designs to know about the history of other cultures. Boy, was he wrong.

The moment the last bell of the day rang, Key slammed his textbook shut and had packed up his things and was out the door before you could count to three. He had barely made it ten metres out the door before a girl was standing in front of him, smiling up at him sheepishly. She was pretty; he would admit, but none of the girls really seemed to grasp that he just didn't swing that way.

“H-Hi, K-Key oppa,” she greeted, shyly brushing her hair behind her ear and staring down at the grass.

“Hi...” he scanned his brain for her name, “Sulli!” he exclaimed as he remembered. He quickly composed himself. “What can I do for you?”

“Well, I, um, I baked these cookies for you,” she handed him a pastel pink box in the shape of a heart, a transparent pink ribbon tied to the top. “I really like you oppa, and I was wondering if maybe-”

“Sulli, look,” Key cut her off rapidly. “I'm not into girls. Okay? You're very pretty and I'm sure you're a lovely girl; but we will never be more than friends. I'm sorry,”

Key passed her back the box of cookies. She shook her head and pushed the box back towards him.

“No, you keep them. They were meant for you,” she said. “Well maybe we can be friends?” she asked.

“I'd love to,” he said honestly.

“Here,” she wrote down a few digits on a piece of paper and gave it to Key. “Call me and we can go shopping sometime, neh?”

Key smiled brightly. If there was one thing he loved more than designing clothes, it was buying them.

“Definitely,” he beamed and waved at her as she walked back to a small group of four other girls. She obviously recounted what had just happened as they all started giggling and smiling at Key.

Key sighed and began walking back to the apartment he shared with his older brother.

This always happened; guys and girls alike were lining up to confess to the beautiful boy. He was rich, gorgeous, popular. He had everything anyone could want and, really, he was pleased with his life, satisfied. But he wasn't happy.

He woke up in the morning hoping for something to be different. For something to happen. But it never did. Nothing was ever different.

Sometimes, Key wondered if he would ever love someone. Sure, lots of people claimed to love him, but he didn't love them. People were jumping out of their socks to ask him out or confess, but no one had ever taken the time to really get to know him. No one here at SM University knew anything about Key but his name, his looks and the money in his bank account.

Key was so deep in his thoughts that he wasn't looking where he was going and accidentally bumped into something hard.

“Oh, I'm sorry! Are you okay?” a deep voice asked, worried. Key pressed a hand to his head.

“I'm fine, it was my fault really,” he looked up from his spot on the ground to see who he had walked into.

The moment their eyes locked, Key felt a lump in his throat. His heart skipped a beat and he felt like he could no longer breathe. The man before him seemed to be carved out of a piece of pure perfection; wide eyes, a sharp jaw, kind of short but with a solid, muscular build. His dark hair was swept to the side in a careless style, yet it looked so good on him. He was looking at Key, his deep brown eyes showing pure concern.

“I-I wasn't l-looking where I was g-going,” Key stammered out. Never had he been this nervous. It was like he had lost all ability to speak.

The short man held out a hand to help Key up. Key dusted himself off and tried to regain his composure.

“Let's start this again,” the man said, his baritone voice sending waves of unfamiliar pleasure throughout his body. He held out his hand, this time for Key to shake. “I'm Kim Jonghyun. What's your name?”

“Kim Kibum, but people call me Key,” Key shook his hand and, almost instantly, goosebumps shot up his arm.

“That's a nice name,” Jonghyun complimented.

“Thanks,” Key blushed a little and bit his lower lip to hide a smile. “Um, I should probably get going,”

Jonghyun nodded.

“Tell me if I'm being too forward, but could I maybe buy you a coffee before you leave?” Jonghyun gestured to the café they were standing outside of.

Key thought for a moment. Onew would be wondering where he was, but then again, Onew could wait.

“Sure,” Key nodded, rationalising to himself that after that World History lesson he was tired and needed a coffee anyway.

Jonghyun opened the door for Key.

“After yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter