Myungsoo

Chasing Paradise

    I turned the key until I heard the faint click. I slowly turned the copper knob and opened the creaking door. The TV was on in the living room and I heard silverware clinking in the kitchen. Everything seemed to still be in the same places, nothing was stolen. It was strange since I lived alone. I followed the sound of light footsteps and plates.

 

    Upon entering the kitchen. I saw a man with jet black hair. That's when I remembered that only one other person has a copy of the key to this apartment, "Hyung?"

 

    The man turned around with a surprised expression which quickly turned into a small but fairly quick smile, "Myungsoo-yah!"

 

    He approached me to quickly hug me. I stood in his rather weak embrace, not bothering to lift my arms and hug him back.

 

    "How have you been?" He asked after letting go.

 

    "Why are you here?" I snapped.

 

    He chuckled, "I wanted to make my little brother a surprise dinner. You must be really tired from schoo—"

 

    "I didn't ask you to make me one."

 

    "Well, that's the point of a surprise."

 

    "I don't want a surprise from you though."

 

     My brother scoffed with a sardonic smirk at my reply.

 

    "Where's your wife?" I asked, disgusted upon mentioning that woman.

 

    "She's back at the house," he replied.

 

    "Are you sure?"

 

    "Yes I'm sure, Myungsoo," he replied, "Speaking of home, I better be heading back. Your dinner is on the stove. It was nice seeing you again." And just like that, he was gone, again.

 

    I know that I love my brother. We were orphans ever since we were little and he was all I had. But now  I feel this slight annoyance and rage of anger. I stand in front of him indignantly, sometimes averting my eyes. And when I look at him, ice-like daggers strike. He strikes me back with a mocking chuckle but soon turns his back to me again, either to avoid my rising temper or to leave me for that devil of a wife he has.

 

    "Hyung!" I jumped on his back, failing to tackle him.

 

    "Aigoo! The birthday boy is here!" He carried me on his back around the house then gently placed me on the couch. "So what do you want for your birthday?"

 

    I thought for a little bit, kicking my feet into the air and swinging them back. "Hyung," I said, "what did you want for your eighth birthday?"

 

    "Hm..." he replied as he squinted his eyes and stared at the wall in thought, "I don't remember."

 

    "Hyung!" I whined, "How can you not remember? You were eight last year!"

 

    He laughed and pat my head, "Aigoo, why is my brother so cute?" He sighed, "I wanted nothing more than a family. Simply to stay with my brother."

 

    "Hyung," I said, "I want my brother to stay by my side forever."

 

    The corner of his mouth lifted to a smile, "Then I'll never leave you. I promise."

 

    I hugged him and hugged me back

 

    That was the last hug before that girl came into our lives. Noona had a heart. She was bright and kind until she said she loved me.

 

    I didn't know what I was doing at the time. The moments out hands clasped together sent a soft kind of warmth that wasn't strong enough to reach my young heart. Noona tricked me. She built up that warmth until I saw her lips against my brother's. I saw them, peaking through the open crack, pull away and my brother had a locing smile on his face. He didn't know I was with noona at the time. That wasn't why my hatred grew.

 

    Hyung stayed with her even though he saw her pass me with an evil grin. He married her. He left my side. He broke his promise.

 

    I scoffed as the pathetic memories drowned my mind. I looked down at the white, ceramic bowl that was sloppily filled with spaghetti. The can that once held the pre-made spaghetti sat stoll on the counter.

 

    "Pathetic," I said and threw away the empty can. I sat down and had another lonely dinner.

 


 

    My callused fingers felt the rare stinging as they travelled across the guitar neck. I heard the soft giggle of a girl echoing from the bench across from me. The girl sat next to a boy who playfully looked over her shoulder.

 

    "Let me read it!" the boy pleaded.

 

    "No!" the girl replied. They laughed together and enjoyed each other's company, making me feel all the more envious. Most of all, I felt lonely.