Myungsoo

Chasing Paradise

    The sun was beating down on my skin. I began to wonder what my purpose was as I walked up a soft-grassed hill. I felt like I needed to search. As I took the last few steps to the top of the hill, I closed my eyes. I breathed in and when I opened my eyes, I saw a lone tree settled at the center of the hill. The branches were barely visible with the bushels of green leaves wrapped around. Sunlight leaked through the small gaps.

 

    My hands were deep in my pockets as I slowly walked toward the tree. I observed its slight sways as the wind gently pushed its way to the east. I observed the bottom of the hill. Across was a calm river, rippling ever so slightly as tiny fish swam by. I observed the sky, the tree, my surroundings. I was clueless. How did I get here? What was I looking for?

 

    I rounded the tree. Under the warm spots of light, I saw a girl. She wore a simple white dress that draped slightly above her knees. Her hair was perfectly straight with a glossy texture. Her thick black hair almost resembled the leaves, flowing above her shoulder as the wind blew by. She turned her head and looked at me. Her eyes were twinkling under the little streaks of sunlight. Her skin was a clear milky shade.

 

    I walked forward until I was a foot in front of her. She smiled. With that smile, I was convinced that she was beautiful on the inside and out. She had a pure aura. She had an innocent aura. She was beautiful.

 

    "Hi," she said.

 

    "Hi," I replied. For some reason, I felt like I knew her. There was some sort of disconnected connection. "Do I know you?" I asked.

 

    She replied with a smile.

 

    "What's your name?"

 

    "Well, now I know you're the curious type."

 

    "And I know you have a lot of hidden secrets," I snapped.

 

    She chuckled, "I can tell you're probably not any different."

 

    "I normally am the quiet type."

 

    "But your eyes still wander," she replied, "your heart seems to yearn for something."

 

    I nodded, "It's hard to stay in a dark world without wanting to break out and see the light. But what is it that I'm looking for once I'm outside? What's the key to even open the doors to the brighter world?"

 

    The girl shrugged. She seemed just as lost as I was.

 

    I stood in front of her as she leaned back against the tree. We stayed like this for a few minutes under the shade. We were surrounded by our silence, only listening to the peaceful pace of our calm breathing.

 

    The girl looked up and breathed in. Contently sighing, she said, "When are we going to stop chasing paradise?"

 

    "We?"

 

    "We."

 

    "What makes you think I'm chasing paradise?"

 

    "Both of us are somehow searching for something," she said as she looked out in the distance.

 

    "What is the paradise?" I asked, my eyebrow raised.

 

    "I don't know," she replied, "that's what we're chasing for, isn't it? We won't know until we find it."

 

    "Chasing paradise..." I mumbled.

 

    She reached her hand out to mine, pulling my hand out of my pocket and holding onto it as she looked into my eyes with her smile.

 

    My eyes widened as I held onto her soft, warm hand, "I think I found my paradise."

 

    "What is it?" She asked,

 

    Suddenly, I woke up. It wasn't the girl that was before my eyes, but my ceiling. I looked at my hand and whispered, "I don't know."

 


what do you guys think of the first chapter? sorry it's all dialogue.

nervetheless, i hope you are still enjoying it. :)

thank you guys for reading!