Chapter Five

Just One Day

"Hey watch where you're going, !" So far, that was the third person that he's shoved aside. The exhausted rapper is running.  His converse clad feet are hitting the pavement with a force that no one can stop. The cold spring air slapping him in the face is almost unbearably painful. Almost. 

People are staring at him a bit terrified as he's running with such determination. Jackson could care less actually, he doesn't even see them. He doesn't see anyone or anything as his mind is on only one thing. One thing and one person. The details are small but the memories are still etched into his brain. 

 

He never thought, not even once, that he would find himself in this situation. 

 

Running through traffic,

Beep beep! 

"Get out of the road !"

 

 Colliding into people,

"Watch it!" 

 

Out of breath and desperate for it,

"Something's wrong with BamBam-" 

 

The twenty year old spares no glances back and not a single apology.  It wasn't that he was trying to be rude. He just feared it would slow him down.   Jackson is desperate enough  to get into the building that he again, shoves past someone only to be tripped up by a bag they were holding onto loosely.   

"Yah kid! Are you okay?!" He winces slightly, as he pushes himself up. The elderly woman wobbles over to him. He bows slightly and begins to apologize only to hiss in pain. 

"You probably pulled something dummy!!" Her voice yells out to him. 

The pain that shoots up his calve and up his leg is proof of her words. Jackson almost wants to laugh in disbelief. If he wasn't in so much pain, he would. He still manages to get up clumsily. 

"Kids are always in such a hurry.." She shakes her head at him as he bows once more and limps away hurriedly. 

As he tries to walk up the stairs with as much speed possible, he feels the urge to yell out in pain with each step. He pauses at the third flight and looks up, the beads of sweat are dripping down his face. The seventh floor, how ironic. 

He's managed to make it to the fifth floor, although now he's at a standstill.  The pain has multiplied and he's using the side railing as support for his whole body. 

"ing pathetic." 

The young rapper mumbles to himself as he grits his teeth and slams the side of his fist into the metal railing. It hurts but Jackson doesn't stop. He continuously bangs his fist into the rusty railing.  He won't stop, he can't stop in fact. If he does, it will only make the sound of the weak voice in his head that much louder. That small, fragile  voice that has haunted him since the day he first heard it. 

 

"Kunpimook-" The small boy before him is so scared, that he's shaking. He's just said his name, but as if he as wasn't sure of himself. To be honest, Jackson Wang is standing there almost glaring at the boy. It's frustrating to him to have to watch this child introduce himself in such a way. He's honestly grateful that the young Taiwanese boy is looking down. He wouldn't have to see the look of utter embarrassment on the older's face. 

-Great a child, they give us a child.-

Jackson thinks bitterly to himself. This was his dream and passion in life. He didn't want it to be ruined by anyone. 

The small boy is still trembling and is silent, he almost lets out a loud sigh. When he catches the idea that no one is going to help the poor kid out, he goes for it. 

He's admittedly shocked at how bony and brittle the boy's shoulder feels under his large hand. He's even a bit taken aback by the soft, delicate features of his face once he gets a good look. He honestly hadn't even seen a girl with such beauty before since he's been in Korea.

He shakes it off and  says the most natural line that comes to his head. Only, he wasn't prepared for what came after he said those light hearted words. 

The sight before him makes him feel as if he must question every and anything he's done in his short life. 

What...is this?

The tears that spill out of those large beautiful eyes, truly make the eighteen year old's knees feel weak. The pain and happiness that explode from the small boy is like nothing he's ever experienced before. He wasn't ready for it. 

The strong need to wrap the fragile, delicate boy into his arm overwhelms Jackson. He does just that and doesn't let go. 

After that day, he never let go. 

Jackson is still violently slamming is throbbing fist into the hard surface. 

"Goddammit!" He growls outloud. It won't stop his mind is going against his will and searching for that familiar face.

"Hyung let's practice together!" The fifteen year old boy jumps onto the couch that the Hong Kong native is lounging on. 

Jackson looks up at him from his bright cell phone screen. He immediately gets up and gathers his things. 

"Can't. I've got things to do." He says abruptly. 

BamBam pouts up at the rapper, disappointed. 

"Like what? Hyung it's our day off and I want to spend it with you." He says softly.

Jackson feels a sharp like stab go through his chest. He hesitates and looks back at the disheartened boy. 

Only, all he sees is the way his shirt hangs loosely and is falling slightly down his thin shoulder. Along with his beautifully plump parted lips, they're chapped and Jackson finds himself wanting to fix that for him.  

It's an enticing sight and it just doesn't sit well with the eighteen year old. 

"Sorry, I can't. I'm spending my day with Mark, we already made plans."  He lies. 

"Jackson hyung" he hears the boy say as he walks out of that door. 

 

 

That was the day he decided the American boy served as a good distraction. At least from all of the bad things that would eat away at him any time he was near the Thai. 

"Why did I turn out like this? Why did I let you do this to me?"  

His eyes are clenched shut and his breathing is harsh. 

 Suddenly he hears the sound of footsteps echoing through the stairwell. They're running, this person was in a hurry too. 

"Jackson?! I told you to wait for me!"

Mark has appeared before him, looking quite exhausted as well. He plants his hands on his narrow hips and looks at the other rapper with his bright eyes. He's breathing pretty heavily as well, Jackson feels bad. 

He feels bad for everything that he's made the kind man before him witness.  

All of the angry, drunken nights. Dragging him away from the dorm when it got hard for him to even breath. The countless rampages he went on just because,

Just because his heart couldn't take it anymore. 

Mark was there throughout it all, Mark was a good friend.  

Jackson lets out an exasperated breath. 

"Why do you look like that?" The redhead finally asks. 

"Like what?" Jackson wipes the sweat off of his face furiously. 

"You look like you're in pain- wait. Are you hurt somewhere?" Mark begins to inspect the younger, tugging at his clothes and poking him in various places. Jackson for the first time ever, is annoyed by the redhead. He pulls away from the prying hands. 

"Where are you hurt?" 

"Nowhere. Let's get up there now." Jackson lifts his foot and feels the pain spike up again. He winces and Mark gapes at him. 

"You are hurt!" 

"It's only my calve...ah shi-!" Mark wraps his arm around Jackson's waist and supports his body weight. 

"ONLY your calve?! No. We have to get you to a hospital." He tries to pull the pain stricken rapper down but, is not able to. Jackson keeps a good grip on the railing effectively stopping him from doing so. 

"I ha-We have to get up there." He says sternly. 

 

Mark feels his blood boil and he can't do it anymore. He can't bring himself to stay silent. 

"I know YOU have to get up there Jackson. You're hurt though, so you have to get to a hospital." He says calmly. 

"You don't understa-" 

"I ING UNDERSTAND! DON'T YOU DARE SAY I DON'T!" Mark just about screeches and suddenly shoves Jackson.  

"What the hell?!" Jackson yells back at Mark, he stares at the other rapper in disbelief. 

"I understand that you can't be honest with yourself! That you used me all these years! I know what you've been running from!" Jackson's eyes widen and as he watches Mark tremble.

 

"He needs Jackson right now, Mark." 

 

"I'm painfully aware of what it is." 

Mark's voice is thick with emotion and Jackson doesn't know what to do with himself. It seems that several minutes pass by as they both stand there in silence. 

The redhead doesn't say anything as he suddenly takes the others arm and slings it around his shoulder. He grips onto Jackson's waist and makes him move foward along with him. 

"Mark I'm-" Jackson begins as he allows himself to be pulled up the stairs. He watches as the redhead bites his quivering bottom lip and shakes his head. What he says next comes out in shaky breaths but Jackson soaks in every word.

 

"Please...don't say anything that'll make me fall in love with you anymore than I already have." 

 

--------

 

Jinyoung is still standing in front of the locked door. His eyes are clenched shut and he feels on edge. He looks over toward his dongseangs, Yugyeom has managed to calm Youngjae down enough to make him sit on the couch.

"How did I not see this coming?" He groans to himself quietly. Their leader is still sleeping, only because Jinyoung doesn't want to add anything onto the leaders stress. They've all been working so hard but...

"Hyung. Why is he like this?" Yugyeom has made his way toward him. Jinyoung opens his eyes then. He wants to know about BamBam, but he's always completely oblivious to what's happening around him. 

Yugyeom is the innocent one. 

"It's a bit too complicated to say right now. You should stay by Youngjae's side, he needs y-" 

"Jinyoung hyung. I may be the youngest...but I'm not a child." 

Yugyeom gives the older an unwavering stare and his words are solid and filled with assurance. 

Jinyoung stares at the tall boy before him. He's shocked, really. At the same time, he understands that Yugyeom is wondering why his favourite hyung couldn't stop crying. 

"You're right, you're not a child Yugyeom-ah. I'm sorry...it's just th-"

"Where is he?!" 

With wide eyes they both whip their heads toward the source of that question.

"J-Jackson..." Jinyoung stutters.

It's strange how the visual is letting himself be shoved aside by the rapper. Yugyeom has stepped back instinctively. He looks over and sees Youngjae with his hands over his mouth looking as if he'll cry again. Then it hits him. 

 

There's another part to this saddening situation, another human being.  

Jinyoung feels as if everything has slowed down, although his heart is beating fast.

He shakily makes his way toward the boy still standing alone in front of their apartment door. His fringe is covering his eyes as his head hangs low.  

"Mark."  Jinyoung says softly.

 

Another soul.

 

------

 

BamBam has been laying unmoving on the cold tile floor of his room.  

He feels on the verge of passing out. His eyes blink slower as the minutes go by. 

He's fully aware that his fellow band members have been trying to get in. The thing is, he can't bring himself to open that door. 

I'm always more trouble than I'm worth. 

These are words he recites in his head every time he hears Jinyoung's voice through the cracks. He's trying to coax him out but, he's ashamed.  Embarrassed and all too aware of himself. 

Suddenly, something catches his attention. The small male focuses intently on an object sitting on top of his dresser.  BamBam sits up and stares even harder. The boy stands up slowly and walks over to it. He reaches out for it when suddenly there's a knock. 

He expects to hear Jinyoung's voice again but what comes instead makes him stand rigid in his place. 

 

"Kunpimook." 

 

He slumps down to the floor and stares at the only thing separating him from that deep, thundering voice. That strong, enigmatic presence that has managed to reduce him to what he is now. He sits in stunned silence.  

 

"I'm here."  

 

The boy slowly brings his tiny hands over his already blurring vision. 

 

"J-...Jackson." 

 

That name passes through his dry lips almost breathlessly. 

 

"Open the door." It sounds almost like a demand, but the trembling boy doesn't move. 

 

"I...I c-can't. I can't do this."

 

 


 

Hi everyone! I've been a bit busy with work, but thank you for waiting patiently ^_^ I can't believe I've gotten all of these amazing subscribers. And as always thank you for your feedback, it inspires me to work harder.