Roomie

Always pick what’s right…right?

“Harabeoji I’m done with decorating the fondant cakes.” YeonSeo called out to her boss as she wiped her hands clean on the apron.

“Oh you really work fast Yeonseo-ah. Stay for a while, I just finished making honey bread toast. ” The kind elderly man urged her.

“You tempt me so much harabeoji but I’m going to be late for my first class.” YeonSeo pouted as the smell of the heavenly treat hit her.

“Aigoo, you young ones are always rushing off to places, leaving this old man alone. Oh by the way, you should meet my grandson! I want to set the two of you up for a blind date. He’s good looking, just like me.” Mr. Shim then got a photo from his wallet and showed it to her proudly. YeonSeo took a quick look but wasn’t able to fully take in the physical characteristics of the guy.

“Very funny but it’s the first day of my class and I heard that the professor is a terror. He’ll definitely remember my tardiness and take it out on my thesis. I’ll see you early tomorrow and don’t forget your vitamins.” She rushed to get her bag and kissed Mr. Shim on the cheek before stepping out of the shop.

 

Yeonseo now questioned herself on why she enrolled in a marketing and entrepreneurial program. The first hour seemed gibberish to her. Dealing with numbers and all that critical thinking isn’t really her forte but she thought that it will be beneficial in educating and guiding her in her dream to have a successful café. She finished her culinary arts course a year ago and since then has been working at the pastry shop that Mr. Shim owned. She considered the elderly boss as her granddad as he has been doting on her since day one. He has been a great help in mentoring her and he opened her eyes in a lot of new things in the baking world.

Mr. Shim looked after YeonSeo fondly. Time isn’t rewinding for Mr. Shim and he has to retire soon. Most likely, he’ll go back to Seoul for medical reasons in a few months. That’s why he’s keen in training YeonSeo, so she can help manage his shop when he’s gone. Sure, there were more senior workers in his shop that topped her with experience but nothing could compare with the dedication and talent he saw in her.

 

Right after her classes ended, YeonSeo went straight back to her apartment to meet her new roommate. A few weeks ago Yeonseo decided to rent out the other half of her unit, to earn extra money and make use of the space she doesn’t use. Her place isn’t that grand but it certainly has that homey feel.

Yeonseo finished cleaning up when the doorbell rang.

“Hi, YeonSeo? It’s me, Shim Changmin. The one checking the place.” The guy introduced himself with a smile as soon as YeonSeo opened the door.

“Nice to meet you. Come in.” You might think that YeonSeo is gullible for immediately inviting the stranger in but truth is she already asked for his records the moment he showed interest in renting a month ago.

He explained in his email why he needs to crash in her place.

Changmin is temporarily moving to their town to train with his friend for music-related auditions and contests. His parents aren’t completely disagreeing with the path he chose but they also won’t financially support him. His friend just lives in a small studio unit with his sister so it wouldn’t be comfortable for three of them to stay in one place.

He was also told by his parents not to bother his grandparents who live around the area.

 

YeonSeo showed Changmin the room he’ll occupy, which in his standards is more than enough. It was decent in space and clean, compared to the other dorm styled rooms he checked out.

“Here’s the combination to the door and the house rules.” YeonSeo handed over a paper with an outline of do’s and don’ts.

 

•           First and most important rule: Do not bring strangers especially women in my place at night. Don’t even try to be sneaky about it. Your friends can come over but you have to let me know in advance. I’ll also inform you if I have visitors coming.

•           Do not enter my room unless I give you permission. Always knock.

•           Please clean up after yourself in the bathroom, kitchen, etc.

•           Pay rent on time. I can give you some slack but don’t push it.

•           You can get ingredients in refrigerator but re-stock them if you get the last one or if there’s only a little left.

 

“Is it all clear? Any questions or violent reaction?” YeonSeo asked with a soft smile on her face.

“Everything’s cool.” Changmin casually answered back.

“Great. I hope we won’t run into any problems roomie. Let me know if need anything or if you have some questions about getting around. Let’s exchange numbers later. Now why don’t you unpack while I whip us up some food.”

YeonSeo left Changmin to settle in his room as she proceeded to go to the kitchen.

‘That guy looks really familiar for some reason? Or maybe it’s because I’ve seen his photo in his online application?’ She shook those thoughts from her head and started with cooking a welcoming meal for Changmin. He must be starving for a proper dish after a long train ride.

 

The two got to know more about each other over dinner. Changmin loved her cooking, praising the tasty dishes she presented, which made her happy. Yeonseo tried to make him sing, he is after all trying to make it big in the music scene but he said that he’ll save it for next time, much to her dismay. For Changmin, her rules may have seemed that she was strict but she really isn’t, she’s a pretty easy going girl. Yeonseo’s glad that she picked him out of the all the other applicants as his great sense of humor kept putting a smile on her face. He wasn't also obviously trying to hit on her which is a plus (but would it be bad if he did show some interest?)

Changmin brought out the soju he bought from the mart nearby and offered Yeonseo a drink. The two toasted to a great start.

From the looks of it, it seems like they can have a good friendship and not just a formal roommate relationship.

 

But seriously…can a man and woman living together just remain friends?

 


 

Decided to stick with the name Yeonseo for DBSK stories ;) Hope you don’t mind. Hope you'll enjoy this one as well!

There may be some similarities with this story and with my other on-going BAP one which mainly stars Yongguk. Hope you can show it some love as well :)