stop...

Kris-hyung, This is the Last

“Are you not gonna stop messing around, Huang Zitao?”

The Huang boy did not stop. He continued doing his dorky dance steps in the midst of the many people in the school’s quadrangle. Students from other schools think he’s crazy and it embarrasses Kris straight to his core. Unable to stop Tao, he left him and went to the stage where his other classmates were hanging out.

Before he could even recover from the embarrassment he have felt a while ago, Tao was there again.

“Grow up, Tao! Grow up!” Kris yelled. It was so loud that it echoed making even those at the quadrangle turns their heads. “Stop acting childish because it’s in’ annoying.”

Dumbfounded, the others stared at the Wu boy. Tao looked down like a kid and responded, “Okay.”

He sat down beside his classmate Sehun. He forced a smile and did his famous aegyo. It made Sehun cringe. But on the one side, he found it cute.

The day went on with Kris being so silent and Tao hanging out with Sehun, Luhan, and Xiumin.  He found his refuge in them when Kris has abandoned him.

Kris wasn’t really like that before. Tao didn’t know why he changed. He might have done something wrong, but is it that bad that he’d change the way he treats him?

Whatever the reason of his change, he’ll do what his hyung wants. If hyung wants him silent, he’ll shut up and if he can’t, he’ll tape his mouth. If he still can’t, he’ll sew his lips together or cut his tongue.

What am I thinking? Tao said to himself. He won’t do such gory things.

“You’re quiet today, Huang Zitao,” Byun Baekhyun said.

“Come on, don’t mind what Kris-hyung did. Maybe he’s just stressed,” said Chen and tapped his back.

The opening ceremony of the Interschool Olympics ended when the clock hits three pm. They, Tao and Kris, were with each other again. The younger guy made sure his lips were zipped. Kris turned his back on Tao when the athletes from other schools walked passed them on the hallway.

A while later, Kris’ phone vibrated. It’s Tao saying he won’t be sleeping in their dorm room. He’ll sleep in Suho and Chanyeol’s. Like I care, he said and tried to convince himself he doesn’t give a damn about it. But he cares; he’s not used to staying alone in that room. He isn’t used to not having Tao around. It felt crazy without him there.

Then a part of him realized he was wrong. Accepting the fact though pains his pride.

No, I did the right thing. Tao’s no longer a kid, he’s already twenty-one.

He turned around. Tao was no longer there.

“Kris-hyung, good luck tomorrow,” Chanyeol said.

He smiled. But it faded when he saw Tao who seems to be avoiding something. Or someone rather. Their eyes met for some hertz. Tao was the first to turn away, “Uh—I’ll go ahead,” Tao said.

“I gotta go,” Kris said.

“Okay, hyung.”

****

The school activity ended so well that it deserves a victory party. Majority of the competitions were won by their school. Not because they’re the host school but because they really worked and played hard to win.

The party was a casual one. Coaches, winners and the opposite, runners-up, MVPs, rookies and Rookie Awardees, faculties and non-athletes were present.

“Ayo, Krisus! How’s the Archery god of SRU? Still in cloud nine?”

“Still in cloud nine, overwhelmed.”

“You and your mates did a really good job, congrats.”

“Thank you, sir.”

Yes, he’s really happy (and high) because of his victory. And also for the school’s victory. But a part of him was bothered. Where could the wushu master be? “Have you seen Tao?” He asked the Basketball MVP, Luhan.

“He went out with Xiumin-hyung.”

 He nodded in response and walked out of the auditorium. Tao was there with Sehun and Xiumin.

“Kris Wu, the Archery god,” said Xiumin when he saw him.

Tao was silenced amidst his chatting session with the two. Xiumin and Sehun glanced at each other. They decided to leave them for a while so they could talk.

“Um, congrats hyung,” said Tao. “I gotta go in, cold in here,” he added.

“Are you avoiding me?”
“No, I’m just cold—“

“You aren’t a good liar Tao. We both know that.”

Kris sighed. Should he say sorry or not?

No, not my style, he said to himself.

Tao walked away.

You aren’t a big deal to me. Go! Avoid me, I don’t give a damn!

What he was feeling though at the moment was the opposite of what he has said and what he did next. He followed Tao who went to the parking lot.

“Why are you following me?” The younger man suddenly asked. Staggered, Kris turned his back on him.

“Look at me hyung,” Tao said.

Kris didn’t. He slowly steps away.

“Kris-hyung, this is the last time I’ll do this. Please look at me!” He blithely said.

Kris, sighing again, turned to look at his roommate.

“Buing, buing!”

He cringed. Tao is really a kid.

Tao went into his car and drove away.

****

Its half past ten already. The night is still young and the party is just starting. Kris sat on a stool and drank his light liquor. His classmates were at the dance floor doing their random and crazy moves.

Tao.

He kind of missed him. If he’s there, he’d be the craziest thing on the dance floor.

Sehun’s phone was on the table, it’s vibrating. He didn’t know whose calling for it’s faced down. It stopped vibrating for a while and vibrated again not long after it stopped.

The annoyed Kris took the phone.

Tao calling…

He put it back down to the table.

He called Sehun, he didn’t call him.

What’s that?

 

Exhausted, Sehun went to where Kris was. The latter handed him his vibrating phone.

“Tao’s been calling you,” Kris said.

“You should’ve answered it.”

“Not my phone he’s calling.”

Sehun answered the call. “Oi, Tao where you at?”

“Is this Sehun?”

“Yes, who’s this?”

“Police Officer Park Soobin of Seoul Police Department. Your friend Huang Zitao was brought to Yonhwa University Hospital.”

“H-hospital?”

“He’s one of the five victims of an indiscriminate firing.”

Sehun’s heart seemed to have stopped beating. His classmates were staring at him.

“You’re the one I called because his phone has been redialing your number and it’s locked.”

The call was ended when Sehun didn’t respond.

“What was that? And who’s in the hospital?” Asked Suho.

“Tao, he’s shot.”

Kris-hyung, this is the last time I’ll do this. Please look at me!

Kris’ heart beat went irregular. It’s like he’s gonna have a heart attack. “What hospital?” He managed to ask.

“Yonhwa Unive—“

He ran out of the auditorium. His other classmates followed. Hopping into their own cars, they drove away to the said hospital.

****

The doctor was talking Tao’s family when he arrives.

“I’m sorry but we’ve already done what we could. Your son is brain dead.”

Kris turned away. They got to be kidding all of them. Tao’s a tough guy; he won’t die just like that.

“How is he?” Xiumin asked when he and the others arrived.

Kris-hyung, this is the last time I’ll do this. Please look at me!

Unable to stop his tears, he covered his face with his hands.

“Where is he?”

“I don’t know…”

Kris-hyung, this is the last time I’ll do this. Please look at me!

“No, no. You can’t do this to me, Tao,” he uttered.

The Emergency Room’s door swung open and a stretcher was taken out by two male nurses. The person lying in it was covered with a clean white sheet.

The others broke down when they realized it was Tao, lying there. If the gunshot on his head should be disregarded, it was like he was just sleeping.

****

Kris stood there in front of his secret loves grave. The fact that he’s gone is something that his whole being keeps on rejecting. If only he knew it’s going to happen he could have told him how much he love him. He could have said sorry for being rude and all.

“I love you, Panda,” he whispered. “Come back, will you?”

For the nth time, he cried and fell on his knees.

****

Seoul Central Cemetery’s utility aids noticed something on one of the graves. Upon confirming what it is, they called the police and told them a dead man was lying on that particular grave.

No foul play or suicide note found. The medics said it was asthma attack that ended the young man’s life.

The young man’s name is Kris Wu.

 

 

 

 

 

(lemme promote this here: Till Death DO Us Part )