Miracle

Miracle

I was walking in the mall with my family. The mall was pretty crowded, the impact of a big discount. But I'm not the type of girl who fights because of one cute and cheap thing like those ahjumma there. I looked at them weirdly as I walked pass them. Scary, indeed.

I didn't pay attention to my path until I bumped into somebody. I saw her almost falling down so my hands automatically reached her hands. She's a grandma, maybe around 60 years old. My mom and dad glared at me for my clumsiness. I felt really sorry that I bowed around 5 times saying, "Joesonghabnida!". The grandma kindly smiled at me and patted my back, "Gwaenchanayo. You caught me on time." She said while grinning. I was surprised she didn't choose to yell at me, but well... glad at the same time.

"But, still halmeoni... I'm so sorry. It's my fault, I didn't pay attention while walking." I said again. I felt guilty even when she said it's fine.

She smiled, "I see you're a good girl." She took something from her purse and handed it to me.

A shell. Sea shell.

A really pretty sea shell.

I looked at her, questioning. But she just smiled, "Wish wisely to this shell before you sleep, arrasseoyo? I have to go now."

Just like that, she left me dumbfounded with this pretty shell on my hand. Wish to this she said? I chuckled, it's not like I believed but it's not bad trying. Who knows.

"Noona!!" My brother called.

I quickly ran to my family and went to grab lunch.

 

***

 

I scrolled through my twitter when my heart suddenly skipped a beat. He's finally online.

It’s been a while since the last time I saw his post…

Who’s “he”?

Well... he's... His name is Kim Jongdae. Friends mostly called him Chen, but I preffered Jongdae. I don't know why, I just did.

We were in the same class when we were in 8th grade. He's a great friend, a smartass but not the nerd one. He's just normal, and so do I.

He helped me recover from my first heartbreak, and... fell for him.

We dated. I can still remember his words. Every single words, and of course the date.

December 12, 2011.

It's been around 3 years since we broke up.

It lasted for almost a month. My fault. I was stubborn, I won't let my pride drop. I wanted him to understand my feelings without me trying to make him understand. I was stupid. And I always regret that, even now.

That’s what I thought.

I sighed, thinking about that only makes me sad. I remember he tried to get back with me but stupid me, I refused.

I didn’t think if that would make us this distant. Now, maybe I’m just some stranger to him. Just somebody that he used to know.

Well, I won’t blame him for that though. It’s me who grew distant at first. I was trying to move on, okay?

I thought I had moved on but everytime somebody mentioned his name, I can’t prevent my mind from being blank and my heart from skipping a beat.

I shaked my head and put my phone down before locking it. I was about to sleep when I saw something that looked like a porcelain popped out of my handbag when I accidentaly kicked it.

That shell.

I recalled what that grandma said to me earlier.

Wish wisely?

It’s not like I believe this will works but… shall I try? It doesn’t waste much time, though.

I took the shell and looked at it. It is pretty with a slight rosy pink stripe on the surface.

“I don’t know if this would work…” and suddenly I felt silly. Like an idiot. “So… uh…”

Silent for a while before I sighed, “If I can, I would like to go back to that time. No. I just… I want to fix our relationship. Me and… him. It’s okay if I can’t get back with him, but…” I stopped after I spilled some of my feelings. “At least… I… Let me be friends with him.”

I said everything. I felt silly, still. But I’m in my room and I whispered so… I suppose no one heard me. Everyone’s sleeping anyway.

I looked at the shell for a while before I put it on my desk and went to bed.

 

***

 

I woke up with my phone on my right hand. What time is this?

4:37 PM?

Eh?

I accidentally looked at the date on my phone.

January 9th, 2012

What?

Seriously what happened to my phone? How come nobody wakes me up in the morning? So I slept like…

One, two, three… 15 and a half hours?!

I was about to shout calling my mom when I looked at my phone and realized, this is my old phone.

What?

Beep beep.

A notification.

I unlocked my phone and saw a message. My heart skipped a beat upon seeing the sender’s name.

It’s from him.

 

From: Jongdae

You know… I think we need a break. No, I need a break. Just one day. I… I need to think.

 

I frowned. This…

Wait.

Is this a dream?

This is the day when we broke up!

How?

I remembered my old mistake. Anger risen in my chest after reading his text, yet I tried to stay calm. Different from that day, I called him and he answered after the third beep.

“Hello?” He said over the phone.

I took a deep breath, “Hello?”

“Uh… Jinhee I…”

“What’s the reason?” I cutted.

“I…I just think that you grew distant. Too distant.” He said nervously.

The exact same reason he told me that time. I was mad that time, but now… I smiled instead, “You know, you can always ask me why I grew distant. It’s not possible for you to think about what I’m thinking, the reason why I did that, alone. Other thing, I’m your girlfriend.”

He didn’t answer.

“Do you want to know?” I asked.

He took a breath and I could sense a smile when he said, “Tell me.”

I grinned. Too shy to explain since I had a stupid reason behind that. Revenge.

“Do you remember that time when I asked you why did you grew distant? You answered lightly that you’re just testing me.” I chuckled, “That time I was annoyed, okay. And, I know this is stupid but I’ve been taking my revenge. Sorry for being childish.”

He laughed, “Now I know. Sorry for being annoying. And sorry too for making decisions by myself. I should’ve asked you instead.”

Still grinning I answered, “It’s okay. But now you know how I felt when you “tested” me, right? Don’t you ever do that again.”

I frowned-half frowned-when I said the two last sentences.

“Sorry, I won’t do that again. I promise.” He said.

Suddenly I felt so light. Like all the pressures, the stress I’ve been holding are all gone. And then everything turned white and my eyes are both so heavy. I closed my eyes and slept.

 

***

 

I immediately checked the clock the moment I woke up.

7.00 AM

I walked to my desk to check my phone. It’s Sunday. April 6th, 2014.

I unlocked my phone to find 1 text message. I smiled upon seeing the sender’s name.

 

From: Jongdae

Morning pig! I bet you haven’t wake up. Well, you’re a pig anyway :p

Sent April 6th, 2014 06.33 AM

 

To: Jongdae

Heh, I bet you’re sleeping again by now. You just woke up that early to call me a pig. :p

You know, there’s no pig who wakes up at 7 AM.

Anyway, if you don’t answer fast, then you’re the pig. ;)

Sent April 6th, 2014 07.02 AM

 

I waited for 10 minutes, still no answer. I turned off my TV and my air conditioner, and I opened my curtain.

“I’m right. He slept again. Now who’s the pig.” I mumbled while grinning.

I walked to my door and halted when I saw something shiny like a porcelain on my desk. A shell-pretty one-with a rosy pink stripe.

Where did I get this? It feels like I know this thing yet I can’t remember anything.

I shrugged and was about to put it down when I felt something on the shell. I looked at it closely and it’s a writing. Neat one. Like a caligraphy.

 

Miracle exists for the one who deserves.

 

Huh?

I was confused but deep in my heart I felt that this thing is important. I took my old-unused jewelry box and put the shell in it. Then, I put it on my bookshelf and went out of my room to my bathroom.

I shall brush my teeth.