GONE

GONE

Before you read this I recommended you to hear this soft piano melody:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRvhQ5Rf6-U&feature=player_detailpage ►Play this

A Breathtaking Piano by Jervy Hou

 


      

   The sound of a breathtaking piano filled the room. A soft melody that can soothed anyone's heart. A fingers gliding perfectly on the black and white keys without mistake.

          He played smoothly until then something made him stopped in the middle of the melody. He felt something hard making him hard to breathe in his chest. He desperately searched for a bottle that contains his pill in his pocket. Once he found it, he took the pill and put it in his mouth and swallowed it right away. A bitterness felt inside his mouth. The pain goes right away... but not forever. He knew his life will end soon. Maybe tomorrow or maybe the day after tomorrow. No one knows when. He only depends on the medicines the doctor gave him. But the medicines can only makes the pain goes for a while but came back another day. He didn't want to think about dying. He wanted to fill his heart with all good memories, forgetting about his condition. Memories that will never fade away from his mind. That's why he kept on putting a smile on his face. Assuring himself that he's gonna be okay but actually he's not. Sad but true. 

          He always wanted to feel how falling in love with someone special would be. He wanted to feel how to take care of that someone who came into his life making him smile without doing anything. But, what if that someone will be hurt by him? He's scared of that. That's why until now, he promised, he didn't want to fall in love. Knowing that someone will broke into tears makes him hurt more. He didn't want to hurt anyone's feeling. Especially, the person he love. The girl that came to his life and shine bright like a diamond. That was when he broke his own promise and started to fall in love. 

          But seeing her tears falling out of her eyes, makes him regret everything he had done. He knew it would be like this. He just hurt an angel that sent from the heaven to him. How cruel is he? 

 

 


♦ 3 months before ♦

 

          He was playing a soft melody, hitting the right keys on the piano. Until then, his eyes roamed outside at the courtyard and caught a figure of a petite girl walking in the courtyard with a bright smile that can brighten up the day. He watched every step the girl took while his fingers gliding on the keys until he hit the wrong note and the teacher smacked his cane on the piano, scolding him, "Focus!" he shouted. Kai looked away from that girl, pretending he didn't see her but he took a secret glance on the corner of his eyes at the girl countless of time. He smile appeared on his face.

          After finishing his lesson, he took his pill and put it in his mouth while walking. He saw the girl walked passed him, and she didn't even took a glance at him. Her eyes just kept straight without even glancing a bit at him. He furrowed his eyebrow and his eyes kept on looking at the girl until she disappeared from his sight. He tilted his head and decided to ask his butler but his butler just dragged him away.

 

♦ A few weeks passed ♦

 

          He came early today. He sit on the bench waiting for his turn. Then, something caught his eyes. He saw the girl again. He didn't even have a chance to talk to her. He looked at her through the window. She have been scolded by the teacher many times. Suddenly, the candy that was on the piano fell on the floor. He observed her. She bent down on her knees and was struggling to find the candy that was just in front of her. He asked her butler, "She can't see?" Her butler shook his head and hushed him. From that day onwards, he knew that the girl can't see. She's blind. She can't see the world.

          Once the teacher was out for a break after scolding her, he decided to help her. He tip toed inside and sat beside her. He greeted her, "I'm Kai. A student here too." He said, she smiled and nodded, "Kim Ara." Her soft voice rang in his mind, somehow making him happy. He cleared his throat, "I'm going to teach you some of the basic before the teacher came." He whispered. 

          He started to play the piano perfectly and Ara followed him. All the mistake she made, he would corrected her kindly. Not long after that, he suddenly stopped. He groaned. His heart was in pain again. He clutched his chest and searched for his pill and put it in his mouth immediately. He sighed after the pain goes away.

          "What's wrong?" Ara asked.

          "It's nothing." He looked at her while smiling. He assured her.

          He took a candy and offered it to her, "Say Aaa," Ara opened and he put a candy into . His finger touched her lips. Her lips are so soft. A smile appeared on his lips. She smiled meaningfully. She somehow felt butterflies in her stomach. Although she didn't know him and even can't see him, she felt like she knew him already.

          Day by day, they grew attached to each other and day after day he knew his life will end anytime soon. He didn't want to think about it but since the day Ara came to his life, he kept on thinking about his condition. It is because he didn't want to leave her. Reality's hurt. He wish he didn't have a heart cancer. Moreover, he hope for something miracles came and helped him to stop all this. But, miracles never came. And he knew it. There's no hope for him to live. He decided not to tell her anything about his condition.

 

♦ More days passed ♦

 

          That day, they escaped the piano lesson and went to the backyard. He looked left to right to make sure there's no one following her or caught them escaping. Once the course was clear, he took Ara's hand and lead her to the bench. They talked for a while, enjoying each other presence. He took this chance to observe her feature. Remembering all of her feature, not wanting to forget each of it until he die; her soft brown hair, big brown eyes, long eyelashes, her perfect sharp nose, her plump yet soft lips, her milky complexion. Only her could have such a beautifully flawless complexion. She's an angel to him. A god's gift to him. 

          She suddenly, raised her hands up to touch his face. Although she can't see him but she can feel him. Her hands roamed from his soft hair then to his face. He closed his eyes savoring her soft hands on his face. He didn't want to forget this moment ever. Then, he took her hand and brought it to his heart, wanting her to feel his heart beating for her. She smiled when she felt that their heart beating in unison. It was perfect that they're meant together. "Can you feel my heart? It's beating only for you." Ara smiled. 

          He suddenly felt a sharp pain in his chest again. The pain that never goes away. He held her hand tightly, as if clutching his heart with her hand. The pain in his heart became more painful day by day. He realized that the pain often came. Before he could took out the pill on his hand, he felt a sharp tug. Two men came and dragging him away from her. In the process, the bottle of his pills fell down on the grass. He struggled from the two men grips but he can't. He slowly became more weak. And soon, he can't fought back and let them dragged him. He saw her reached out her hands, blindly searching for him while calling his name before he closed his eyes. 

          Ara on the other hand, were searching for him. She heard him shouting for her name. Tears rolling down her cheek, "Kai.." She sobbed harder. She blindly stumbling forward and her hands fell exactly on the bottle of his pill. She grabbed it and bring it to her heart, clutching it tightly and tears kept on falling out of her eyes continuously.

          From that incident, they never see each other again.

 

♦ A month passed ♦

 

          She was in her room. No news from him. She grew worried. She didn't eat. She felt miserable. His bottle of pill still in her hand. She walked back and forth. Then, she slept for a while. And woke up a night later. Sitting there, sitting here.

          Suddenly, the sound of the door opening. Her eyes widened. She heard a familiar footsteps walking. She smiled. He was there, nearing the piano. He played a soft melody. She smiled knowing that he was there.

          Then, a resounding crash of keys stopped her heart.

 

♦♦♦

 

           Kai was playing the piano without mistakes when suddenly he felt a sharp pain came from his chest. It was more painful than the other day. He barely breathe right now. He couldn't stand it. It became more painful as it goes on.  He can't bare the pain and his head was now crashing on the keys and made a loud crashing sound came from the piano. He knew that this day would came. 

          From that sound, his butler rushed to the room and saw him slumped over the keys. His butler picked him up and brought him to his car. His teacher sighed, taking off his glasses, and sat down at the piano continuing the missing pieces.  

 

♦♦♦ 

 

          Once the soft melody stopped, she cried. Tears falling down on her cheeks. She didn't know what happened. She can't see. She cried harder, wetting her cheeks.

          A soft melody then heard. The half of the melody continued until the end of the song. She smiled knowing everything was alright. She knew he would never leave her.

          But..

          She didn't know that, all of it was just her imagination. Her, imagining he was in front of her playing the piano. Her imagination is real though. But, she didn't know the truth. He was playing the piano but after the loud crashing sound came, he was gone. He was leaving her. She didn't know. She'll never know. The one who continued the pieces was her own teacher. It's a request from Kai himself. 

          "Can you feel my heart beat? It's beating only for you."  Suddenly, the last word she heard from him popped from her mind. She somehow felt something bad happened. The last words from him rang in her mind. Was something really happened?

              The sound of her bedroom door opening, revealing her butler. He was holding a phone with a sad face. It was a voice message that have been recorded by Kai himself  before he died. He gave it to Ara and Ara put it on her ears, listening every word he said on the phone.  

 

 

A message from Kai to Ara:

         " Ara-ah, you can't see but you can hear me, right? If you heard this voice message, that means I'm no longer in this world. I have a heart cancer. It's been 2 years already." He chuckled. "I'm sorry for not telling you. I just don't want you to feel sad. I hate making your tears falling down. But now, I know I did." He was silent...